| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

All my kids go crazy before bed, too! I get Mr Crabby to "shuffle" Vax -- basically holds Vax and dances around the room with him until he falls asleep and then he tried to transfer him to bed without waking him up. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't, but it is the only thing that worked. It worked for Beet, too, but never for Raygold.
Otherwise, I have to lie down with him until he falls asleep and then either pass out myself or try to escape.

"the first night i think she fell asleep basically laying on my head after i just gave up."
Oh, I have so been there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We are going through similar issues now. I have no advice, only shared pain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Totally unhelpful here but I always read that being wired at night is a sign of overtiredness and indicates you need an earlier bedtime...I have no idea how one is supposed to achieve an earlier bedtime though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i keep telling my husband im going to stop feeding her.
this crazy pants running around wired also coincides with her eating increasing a lot.
she was never sickly or FTT but she definitely was more subdued when she was eating less or not at all.

she's like WEEEEE NUTRIENTS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

We used to have to lay on the floor next to Henry's crib to get him to sleep, then he switched to a bed and was totally fine going to bed on his own... For about a week. Then it was back on the floor for us. Now we compromise and he goes to sleep with the door open and we sit on the couch in the living room, which is about fifteen feet from his bed. It's a lot better than us alternating nights passing out on his bedroom floor. If only we could get the middle of the night coming into our room to stop, I feel like I shouldn't feel this tired with an almost four year old, but if I don't wake up when he comes in the room, then it's when he starts kicking my back, or head butting me, or leaving the door open so the cat comes in and starts meowing. I really never imagined a queen sized bed seeming so small.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:43 pm 
Semen Strong

L was completely overstimulated and exhausted so I tried to put her down early for bed, for the reasons annasrobbie says above. Such a disaster. So much kicking and hitting and crying and whining.

Why can't this be easier?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My cousins visited this morning so Talya was a bit late for her morning nap and then slept only 30 minutes. Two hours later she seemed exhausted but wouldn't go down until strapped in the car seat and driven around the block a few times. then she slept for THREE HOURS. And 2.5 hours later went to bed fairly easily (like three hours earlier than normal) and slept for a whole hour and a half as her first stretch (she sucks at night sleeping). I'll take it! Maybe we are ready for two naps a day!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't think this kid will ever go to sleep without my boob in her mouth. Ever. And it has to be in there for the entire duration of her sleep. It makes me want to cry. Or maybe that's just the lack of sleep.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Nope, it was all a fluke.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:19 pm 
Semen Strong

I have been trying to do an earlier bedtime because being up until 10 is a disaster. So I was reading that kids have a window where it's easy to put them to bed and that's when they are yawning and if you miss it, you have another 2 hours of overtired and hyper kid.

So tonight I brushed L's teeth and started to get her ready for bed at 6:45 and she was in bed at 7 (she woke up at 7 am and had gone to bed at 11:30 last night) so she was an overtired mess all day. My hope was to hit the sweet spot and have an easy bedtime. But 2 hours after starting, it's awful. Go to sleep. Quit hitting and kicking me. Now she is in with her Dad because he wanted to try to see if he could make it less awful.

I just need to not have bedtime be 2 hours of misery. Followed by me being up and enjoying the absence of my kid for another 3 hours because it's so hard to relax with her around.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:08 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

We've regressed a bit on sleep since Jonah has had a cough and keeps waking himself up at night. There have been a lot of 4 AM visits to swim in our bed. And we think it's time to get rid of the pacifier, so it's about to get worse.

I'm not sure this is helpful since Jonah is a pretty good sleeper when he's not sick, but here's our routine. Around 8 we start getting ready for bed. A new diaper and pajamas. Brushing teeth (this always goes terribly). A family hug if everyone is home. Then we take Jonah to the noise machine so he can press the on button. Take him to the light switch to turn that off. Put him in bed with whatever lovey he wants and give him a pacifier. Sometimes he cries, sometimes he doesn't. We give him a few minutes to calm himself, and if he doesn't, we go in and rock a bit, and try again.

If he wakes up in the middle of the night, I go in and turn on the noise machine again. Sometimes that works. After, we try to let him cry a bit to see if he can calm himself. Otherwise rocking. And occasionally we give him soy milk and/or a snack since he's become a pickier eater and I think he wakes up because he's hungry. And sometimes we give up and take him to our bed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it doesnt seem to matter when we go to bed. the other night she claimed she was tired at 7:50 which is crazy early for her and wanted to go to bed. she nursed for like an hour then said she was all done then bounced around like a maniac for 2 hours then eventually melted down to screaming and climbing all over me.

if we go to bed later the same thing happens.
eventually she just lays on top of me and falls asleep after awhile but it takes forever to get there. then usually around 6 am she wakes up and depending on the day sometimes i tell hr she cant nurse til the sun comes up and she whines a bit then curls up next to me and falls asleep or like this morning she screamed for 45 minutes straight and finally when there was like a scrap of sunshine i was like LOOK THE SUN IS UP. she doesnt fall back to sleep though she just wants to nurse for the next 12 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Consistent routine helps us like Mollyjade above. I made a picture checklist that babynut can understand and it helps us all (me, partner, babysitter, grandparent) keep the routine. Babynut corrects me when I do things out of order. Eventually it's like Pavlov's dogs. Some days are better than others. Sometimes she is asleep by 8:00. Other days 9:00. 8:30 is the sweet spot for us. We start the bedtime routine at 7:30 regardless.

I totally agree with letting it go when it is too frustrating. I feel like that is a signal that it's not the right time to do whatever. I remember all the stress about afternoon naps. I was pulling my hair our for two hours everyday for this goddamned nap that never happened. It was such a stress-relief to just let it go and not worry about having a nap or not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:19 pm 

I had a duh moment recently. Jonah hasn't been napping well since we switched to a big kid bed. For the obvious reason. He can escape. I was doing the thing where you pick the kid up, put him in bed, and say, "it's nap time." And he still only napped 1/3 time. (He was napping fine at daycare.)

A few days ago I added reading a book to our nap time routine, and it's completely fixed the problem. It's like Sleep 101.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Sometimes you just have to get back to the basics!

In other sleeping news Giles has slept in his own bed all night for the last 3 nights! (well one night was on the couch...but not in OUR bed) It is very thrilling and feels like the beginning of a new era. Now we just need Sebastian to get with the program too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 pm 

hahahaha. That worked three days in a row and now we're back to not napping.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:16 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Last night was Day 1 of Vax sleeping with Mr. Crabby and not me. It worked out fine and lucky Mr. Crabby didn't get poked, fondled, or have his hair held (pulled) at all. Vax happily left the bedroom this morning and the first thing he said was, "technically, my bed was all messed up!" He slept in much later than usual.

I slept so much better, too! Meaning not bad for the third trimester sleep, which is the best I can hope for. The upstairs people woke me up this morning (and B&R because I heard them chatting), but I was able to get back to sleep and B&R stayed in their room until 8am.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Awesome Crabby! I hope this continues for you guys!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32