| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alcohol, Pot Smoke, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:00 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Hey, I feel like there would have been threads on this but I can't find them via search anyhow. Forgive me if I'm rehashing things.

Obviously we know it's bad for pregnant people to drink and smoke. But apparently there is some tolerance for a small amount of this. My question is in regards to something I witnessed the other day. An acquaintance at a party, who is pregnant, had two beers (that I saw, I didn't stay long) and was not shy with the joint that was being passed around. Thing I find very intriguing about this is, she has been trying for a long time to get pregnant, this will be her first child. She seems/seemed to take it/parenting very seriously. She's also a teacher of special needs children, and has about 8-10 years of college training specifically to be a caregiver/educator for special needs people.

So, because I'm merely an acquaintance (though my partner does consider her a good friend) I'm not wanting to do or say anything about this, I'm merely curious. I've read elsewhere that many people are of the opinion that saying anything about a pregnant woman's drinking/drugging is similar to telling her what she should do with her own body which is bad. But really? I feel like it was really sad to see her do that, and that not one person at the party seemed to care or bat an eye. She's always been a heavy drinker/pot smoker, so I feel like if she's comfortable enough to be seen doing that at a party, it's fairly doubtful that was the only time she has done it. But let's say those two beers and joint was the only time she ever drank/drugged while pregnant. That, for the baby, would be okay right? But when would it be pushing the limit? Do any of you feel like it's not worth risking even a drop?

Post subject: Re: Alcohol, Pot Smoke, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm not a parent, but from everything I've read/learned, I would not risk that while pregnant at all. Chances are it wont have an impact this one time, but I would say it's not worth the risk at all. During breast feeding might be different, but...yikes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't drink or smoke. If I did, I don't think I would risk even a little bit while pregnant. The fetus may be inside my body (hypothetically - I'm not pregnant), but if I give birth that person may have to live for the rest of their life with the effects of my choices. It's not worth it.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:29 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Moderate, occasional alcohol consumption has not been shown to be linked to negative outcomes in pregnancy. The only studies that have shown significant negative outcomes that I've ever been able to find relate to women who either binge drink or drink heavily on a regular basis throughout pregnancy.

There have been one or two recent studies that have shown that a light/moderate intake of alcohol during pregnancy can be linked to positive outcomes for kids, but that this is suspected to relate to other factors (socioeconomic status, etc). And of course, anecdotally, women throughout history (and contemporarily, still in many countries outside of the US) have drank through pregnancy without ill effect.

So: my personal take on it is that it's, well, a personal thing. If you want to have a beer while you're pregnant, okay. It's not my thing, it turns out (which is surprising, because I do like my alcohol quite a bit)... just doesn't appeal at all. But I'm cool with other people's moderate alcohol intake in pregnancy.

Marijuana, I have no idea. Never been an area of interest to me so I have no idea what the research says.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I agree with IJDI. I have never actually seen a pregnant woman drink or smoke in a very long time. People gave me a hard time when I was pregnant and they thought I was drinking regular coffee.

If you look up the side effects, you will see that they include increased risk of miscarriage. Another thing to consider is that some states are mandating prenatal drug testing and reporting. In my state, using illegal drugs during your pregnancy can be grounds to terminate your parental rights.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm 

Your question is whether or not you should say something though, isn't it Mars? I would say no, since you don't know her well, but if your partner considers her a good friend and is also bothered by this, I don't see why he can't broach it with her.

It's definitely not something I would ever risk. My mum likes to talk about how back in the day her doctor told her it was fine and good to have the occasional small glass of wine at a dinner out while she was pregnant, and my sisters and I seem unharmed, but that was kind of different day and age. I really don't know about pot's potential harmful affect on babies, but again, I definitely wouldn't risk it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

vijita, he says in the second paragraph that he doesn't want to say or do anything. :)

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:45 pm 

Sorry, I misread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm 

Yeah, but I see her confusion, I alluded to it for sure. I'm really just curious your opinions, on doing it and also on saying something. I'm not going to for sure, but just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:53 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
Moderate, occasional alcohol consumption has not been shown to be linked to negative outcomes in pregnancy. The only studies that have shown significant negative outcomes that I've ever been able to find relate to women who either binge drink or drink heavily on a regular basis throughout pregnancy.

There have been one or two recent studies that have shown that a light/moderate intake of alcohol during pregnancy can be linked to positive outcomes for kids, but that this is suspected to relate to other factors (socioeconomic status, etc). And of course, anecdotally, women throughout history (and contemporarily, still in many countries outside of the US) have drank through pregnancy without ill effect.

So: my personal take on it is that it's, well, a personal thing. If you want to have a beer while you're pregnant, okay. It's not my thing, it turns out (which is surprising, because I do like my alcohol quite a bit)... just doesn't appeal at all. But I'm cool with other people's moderate alcohol intake in pregnancy.

Marijuana, I have no idea. Never been an area of interest to me so I have no idea what the research says.

That's interesting C&S! I will have to look into that further. Personally, I still wouldn't risk any type of smoking or drinking probably because I do know people who have been affected by their mothers drinking/smoking while pregnant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

What I read (possibly the same studies) is that if a glass of wine in the evening helps you relax during the second or third trimester, have the glass of wine and don't worry about it. It's a much bigger problem earlier on when the fetus is so teensy and small amounts of chemicals are proportionally larger doses to the tiny little tadpole, but later on not as much.

There was also a bunch of stuff about fetal alcohol syndrome and drug use during pregnancy in Dan Savage's book "The Kid," where they found out that the mother of the child they were adopting had done all kinds of stuff while pregnant and they had to decide whether to turn down this potentially damaged baby or to go for it. (Spoiler: They go for it; he's fine.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This used to really bother me. I knew someone who regularly smoked cigs and pot as well as drank while pregnant.

When I was pregnant I did a lot of research on it and there are still mixed opinions on it although when i was pregnant I didn't have the urge to smoke pot or drink at all. Both really disgusted me. I wouldn't judge someone who drank a beer once in a while or smoked pot while pregnant. If it seemed more than that I definatly wouldn't be able to befriend them at all though. As far as saying something. I would like to but I probably wouldn't

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:11 pm 
Semen Strong

There is a lot of debate as to whether women should smoke marijuana while pregnant. It seems pretty settled that 1 to 2 alcoholic drinks a week is safe and established that cigarette smoking poses a number of risks to the fetus.

That said, I don't feel comfortable giving people unasked for medical advice. A friend of mine has been trying to conceive for five years and has had a series of miscarriages. But she will not stop smoking. I know she has a doctor and that she is a smart person and is educated on the risks, so even though I would make a different choice, I try hard to not give my unsolicited view. I would find it disrespectful if someone came up to me and told me that drinking coffee or eating soy while breastfeeding or pregnant is an issue, and so I try and give others the same respect, if that makes sense. Everyone is smart enough to make their own decisions.

My own choice was not to smoke or drink in pregnancy, but I did drink coffee and eat soy, and probably did other things that endangered the fetus in some people's views.

ETA: if my friend asked my advice obvs I'd tell her to stop smoking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

yeah this is a touchy subject. I've posted before that during my last pregnancy I drank somewhat heavily and used drugs during the 1st 11 weeks because I had no idea I was pregnant. My daughter is fine but I can't help but always wonder if any slight problem - for us, it was her delayed speech development - was caused by it; additionally, she was only 6lbs 4oz at birth despite being 42.5 weeks in gestation! However, no dr or midwife has blamed either on what I did in that first trimester (and yes, I was totally honest about it, because I was freaked the fork out when I realized what I'd done.)

this time around, I ceased all types of that activity while I was trying to conceive with the help of a ovulation kit because my god, the worries and panic that I went through last time and the guilt I still feel definitely took precedence over any desire to have a vodka tonic, you know? I was told by my midwife last time that if I had insomnia, an occasional glass of wine was ok but I just have no desire for it. I do drink one 12oz cup of coffee a day though.

And I believe your friend probably is aware of all the research and facts out there with respect to this issue and chooses to ignore or disbelieve it, or possibly has found sources that make her feel like it's ok. In either case, I feel like saying something to her would probably not be welcome but I bet you probably weren't the only one at that gathering who was wondering what was up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

In a few different classes in my undergrad the impacts of drugs and alcohol on fetuses were covered, and from the research at the time (5-10 years ago) no long term effects had been found, though some babies came out of the womb "stoned," but it wore off after a week or so.

I live in a medical marijuana state where smokers are more common than not, and I've known many people who smoke daily during pregnancy. I don't smoke anyway so it wasn't an issue for me, but I had a glass of beer a few times (maybe 10 total) while pregnant and feel comfortable with that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I smoked pot before I got pregnant, as soon as I found out I stopped. For me, taking that risk is not worth it, that goes for alcohol as well. Even though I heard countless times throughout my pregnancy that having a glass of wine was okay, I never felt comfortable with the idea. For me, it makes more sense to give my baby every chance at a healthy life.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I personally would not tell her what I thought, since she didn't ask and you don't know her well. If you were best friends or something maybe your opinion would be more easy to insert into a conversation. If she only did have two beers or whatever maybe it would be ok, but the way you made it seem was that she downed two beers while you were there, only a short amount of time, and then maybe did not stop after that. That would probably qualify as drinking too much whilst pregnant or drinking too fast even if not pregnant. As far as smoking pot, I don't know. I don't think that it is harmful, and I live in michigan, so we have medical marijuana here and it is pretty accepted as alright, but I would have to do a lot more research as to what I thought if pregnant. I'm not educated on the subject, so I have no right to tell people what to do. That being said, myself and many people my age, and pretty much everyone my parents' age had mothers who drank a small amount and smoked cigarettes while pregnant, and we are alive. That is not to say that it is ok, but I do not think it is the end of the world if a mother drank once at a party whilst expecting. Just offer advice if asked, and be polite otherwise is your best bet I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:20 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

This thread reminded me of the time we had a SF PPK meetup at a beer bar, and pregnant littlebear came along. She ordered a root beer, which was served in a pint glass, and was indistinguishable from many of the darker beers others at the table were drinking.

Anyway, this has been an interesting read!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
pregnant littlebear

That combo of words is too cute.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just really like thinking of pregnant little bear drinking a root bear. In my mind it's a mug with a handle though, frosted, perhaps?

I don't smoke anything now, so I can't imagine starting will pregnant. I don't know if I'd have an occasional drink or not, and I don't really know what I think about it other than I hope that acquaintance is otherwise healthy and getting the medical care required for her and the little one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:01 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yeah, I feel like it's something every preggo has to decide for herself. For me, it just wasn't worth the potential guilt and stress. I wasn't a crazy heavy drinker before getting pregnant (and a super super occasional pot smoker, like maybe a couple times a year), so it didn't feel like a huge lifestyle change or anything. Plus, I just wanted to be the healthiest little incubator I could be and found that those things mostly didn't appeal at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I didn't know I was pregnant until I was about 6 weeks along and it just so happens that Ruhr before I found out I had been on vacation and was drinking more than usual. I felt a lot of guilt at the beginning but everyone reassured me he would be fine. If I had wanted any alcohol while pregnant I didn't think it was wrong to have a glass of wine or a beer, but I didn't have the desire, it didn't sound good to me at all. Even now nearly six months after giving birth I rarely drink and when I do it is one glass of something most times. I am sure once I am done nursing I will want to drink more but I just don't care for it right now

Oh yes, and it was very fun to go drinking with jp!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i have had the odd drink and smoke whilst pregnant, both times. there's plenty of research out there saying a small intake is just fine. i think the reason there is the hardline "don't touch anything" advice out there for pregnant women is because a tiny minority of people think that a little can mean a lot and one beer is alright = i'm allowed to get drunk. but that is a shiitake way to treat women, like we're all too irresponsible to be told the truth and make our own decisions. if a man saw me pregnant having a beer (i would never have two, but that's just how i feel whilst pregnant...i can barely drink half of one) and told me i shouldn't be drinking, i'd probably kick him in the nuts. just sayin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i had alcohol (small amounts, less than a full serving of beer or wine, maybe a couple sips of a mixed drink) during my pregnancy. it was something i felt comfortable with, although i really did drink less than i might have because of judgement from others. it was very belittling, to know that people considered me incapable of making decisions for myself.

the research that i found myself, plus what i was told by my health care providers was along the lines of what c&s said... moderate amounts of alcohol are going to have very little effect on the health of the fetus. plus, i drank a bit heavily one night at a friend's wedding before realizing i was pregnant, and everyone was very quick to assure me that it was no big deal, i hadn't hurt the baby etc., sometimes the same people that were busy glaring at me from across the table while i sipped on my delicious amber in the 3rd trimester!

i don't smoke weed anymore, as i just am not around people who do much and wouldn't be bothered to acquire it myself. i've heard the same as c&s on that front too, it's not been studied much, but negative consequences are fairly small as well. i would probably feel less comfortable smoking pot, just because it is illegal here, and it's not part of my typical social life.

i'm just gonna "yeah that" what madam dahlia said about reasons. the US has always had a forked up and weird relationship with alcohol and drugs. i'm not going to take as gospel what some public health campaign says about having a glass of beer while pregnant... this is the same country still trying to convince teens that sex will send you to hell and one joint will fry your brain. there's a history of over-reaction here, is all i'm saying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:26 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Mars wrote:
Obviously we know it's bad for pregnant people to drink and smoke. But apparently there is some tolerance for a small amount of this. My question is in regards to something I witnessed the other day. An acquaintance at a party, who is pregnant, had two beers (that I saw, I didn't stay long) and was not shy with the joint that was being passed around.

Yes, it is irresponsible for pregnant women to do those things. No, telling a woman what to do with her body is not the height of non-PC. It is illegal to punch people in the face. That is telling someone what to do with their body too. In this case it isn't about her body alone, it is about her risking the health of her child. IMO, you are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to voice it. That doesn't mean she has to listen to it or that you will be free of the potential social consequences you mentioned. Sometimes those kind of bad consequences are worth it, sometimes not. In the end, you can only hope to potentially influence people, you can't control them.