| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for an active todder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aright the solution to this is probably very obvious but I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment. This pregnancy has been a bit difficult. With my first, it was easy. I never had morning sickness, never fatigue, hell it felt like I wasn't ever pregnant. With this one, I'm sixteen week and I haven't exactly gotten the second trimester bliss. Don't get me wrong, everything is much better now than from the first trimester, but I'm still very tired and my upper thighs get cramped quite often. When I wake up inthe morning, I feel about a thousand pounds heavier and when I walk around the house, it feels like there are weights on my feet. Going up the stairs can be a real challenge and I also feel a bit short of breath at times. And I have serious bisque hormones. Stupid things annoy me now.

My son is almost two and he is very curious. He loves to climb and he never stops moving. He climbs on the table, on the couches, and even tried to climb the book shelf! He is also very fast for his age. He also doesn't like a clean house. He pulls books off the bookshelf, climbs up to the utensil cabinet and pulls out utensils and throws them on the floor, climbs on the kitchen table and throws everything on the floor, and well, if the floor is clean, he will be sure to fix that! I look like a total slob right now. For every mess I clean up, he makes two more. He has figured out how to get through every child safety mechanism so I spend most of my day watching him. And he loves to get into things. I tell him no but that doesn't stop him. Sometimes he even laughs if I get a little firm!

I want to take him outside, but by the time we've both eaten and are both dressed, it is about his nap time.

If I wasn't pregnant, I probably wouldn't have this much trouble, but I'm very exhausted right. I'm trying not to lose patience. The big issue is that not much gets done in the house. Dishes pile up, laundry piles up, place is cluttered. I have a lot of things on high shelves and some rooms look a bit ridiculous. He has toys, but he gets bored of them fast and wants to move on to something. He also wants my attention constantly, he mostly gets into things when I'm trying to get dishes or laundry done.

We've had babysitters, but then also get exhausted from him.

Any advice to help keep him busy?

Post subject: Re: Tips for an active todder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ugh, I'm sorry. I can totally empathize; my kids are 22 months apart. This is probably not the advice you're looking for, but at that point in my second pregnancy I was letting my son use the iPad pretty much all day. It sounds like you don't have your own yard -- if you're up for it, you could take breakfast on the go and head to the park. Maybe bring his clothes and change there if getting dressed is a struggle at his age. I find that getting kids outside does wonders for their attitude and behavior -- when my son is driving me nuts I know that's pretty much my cue to get ourselves outdoors.

Try to cut yourself a LOT of slack right now. Keep looking at what you can do with your house and furniture to reduce temptation and make it a safe space where you don't have to watch him constantly and you don't have to feel like you're just saying "no" all the time. We totally gated off the whole 12-foot opening to our kitchen, and for a long time had all our dining chairs stacked up and in a closed-off room whenever they weren't in use to keep table-climbing at bay. Could you just box up some things (maybe extra books, decorative objects, etc.) for now and take them back out when you have more energy to deal with keeping things in order?

We also rotate Sven's toys so some are always fresh. If they're all out he loses interest very quickly.

Is preschool, an MDO or a nanny share coop an option for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My babies are also 22 months apart and I have found it so difficult to manage them both by myself. One thing that does keep the 2 year old busy for awhile is I set up an obstacle course of sorts in the living room with things like an aerobic step, curvy board, baby activity mat, chairs, etc and encourage him to jump, run, crawl through the set up. He also is a huge fan of unloading the pantry so I will open that up for him and let him at it - He usually doesn't make it past the billions of cans I have on the bottom shelf because he likes to stack them. We also will fill the tub with water/bubbles and kitchen gear like whisks, measuring cups, muffin tins and I can let him play with all that stuff (he stands outside the tub so it is different from bathtime). This age is so tough when you aren't feeling energetic or don't have both hands free!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

mandycoot wrote:
Keep looking at what you can do with your house and furniture to reduce temptation and make it a safe space where you don't have to watch him constantly and you don't have to feel like you're just saying "no" all the time.

This is exactly what we did when we realized how difficult things were going to be (twins with medical issues). By the time they were really mobile we made a safe space where we could just leave each one for a few minutes without being sure that there was massive bodily harm to come.
We also got into the habit of having table time, where the kid was strapped into the high chair, or later sitting at a table in their own room (a cut down dining room table painted with blackboard paint), where special toys, art supplies, dough, etc could be played with, but only there. It was the only way dinner got made. I tried to keep a box of special goodies for that and also for rewards when someone stayed in the room reading books quietly for a few minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks everyone.

I can't really use gates to block off rooms because he can climb over them like they are nothing. They might slow him down a little. I have bought him some premade food squeeze pouches for very difficult days. There are a lot that have beans and lentils in them! I also bought more soy yogurt. He's going through a phase where he doesn't want to eat much variety and I have to hide the crackers from him.

We do have a yard but it is not fenced in and he will not stay in it. He will walk around our entire neighborhood and it has very steep hills. It is a little rough for me right now and the last time we did it I got light headed. So usually we go to a park nearby that is fenced in.

I might try the high chair idea next.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

Have you tried extra-tall pet gates at all? We have this one and it works well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

or two gates, one on top of another? we had a plastic one on the bottom and a wooden accordion type one screwed in up top. Baggy was a total escape artist, and we had a jumpy dog.