| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crummy names for babies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay, kindof a dumb story, but I feel like it belongs here...

Two of my great uncles, Bill and Mike, married women named Mary. Since they're both "Aunty Mary" and both "Mary Lastname" we refer to them perpetually by their partners: Bill's Mary, and Mike's Mary. So one day my dear sweet and kindof stupid younger cousin (26 at the time) says at the dinner table: Isn't it an amazing coincidence that uncle Bill married a woman named Billsmary, AND uncle Mike married a woman named Mikesmary, and they're both in the same family! (This is the same girl who insisted for years that tuna wasn't a fish, it was meat from a can.)

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
First time I saw John Boehner's name, I though it was pronounced Boner. And laughed so hard. Because I'm 12.

Also, I worked with a guy named Steve Doody.

Okay, Mr. Doody made me giggle way too hard.

We also figured out if we spell my daughter's name backward it would be pronounced Anakin (although one letter is off). It was unintentional as I picked her name and have still never seen Star Wars. She was really excited to have a Star Wars related name, though.

In other geeky names--I don't think Zelda is the best name for a kid. Okay, I think it's a great name but my husband vetoed that one, so I guess that takes away my ability to judge other peoples' nerdy choices. And yes, I know it's a legit name, but that's not why I love it.

And my husband's grandparents had a friend named Gene Pool. He asked about it once, dude had no clue what he was talking about. I also remember some girl from middle school was Windy Autumn Day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bodhi wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
OMG, you guys would hate my kids' middle names (I don't care, I love zany names). ;p I know I said in another thread a friend of mine told her co-worker what my kids names were and the verdict was "she needs shot."

Haha, yeah, I feel like I probably shouldn't mention any of our prospective names for the one on the way, because they're not particularly common names (ie, ya'll will probably think they're weird!)

I hope no one feels insulted by this thread. If you guys check out old name threads, you'll see that ppkers love creative names too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 am 
Semen Strong

Kelly wrote:
bodhi wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
OMG, you guys would hate my kids' middle names (I don't care, I love zany names). ;p I know I said in another thread a friend of mine told her co-worker what my kids names were and the verdict was "she needs shot."

Haha, yeah, I feel like I probably shouldn't mention any of our prospective names for the one on the way, because they're not particularly common names (ie, ya'll will probably think they're weird!)

I hope no one feels insulted by this thread. If you guys check out old name threads, you'll see that ppkers love creative names too.

Yes, I love uncommon names, and tend to think they're rad. And I'd never judge other people's parenting choices.

I still kinda wish we'd named her Cole November Rainne :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

bekki wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
First time I saw John Boehner's name, I though it was pronounced Boner. And laughed so hard. Because I'm 12.

Also, I worked with a guy named Steve Doody.

Okay, Mr. Doody made me giggle way too hard.

We also figured out if we spell my daughter's name backward it would be pronounced Anakin (although one letter is off). It was unintentional as I picked her name and have still never seen Star Wars. She was really excited to have a Star Wars related name, though.

In other geeky names--I don't think Zelda is the best name for a kid. Okay, I think it's a great name but my husband vetoed that one, so I guess that takes away my ability to judge other peoples' nerdy choices. And yes, I know it's a legit name, but that's not why I love it.

And my husband's grandparents had a friend named Gene Pool. He asked about it once, dude had no clue what he was talking about. I also remember some girl from middle school was Windy Autumn Day.

I think Zelda is a fantastic name for a kid. I know a Zelda and she loves her name. She's a little younger than me and she did in fact grow up playing Zelda.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

When I hear Zelda, I think Fitzgerald, not video game, although I grew up with the video game. I think it is beautiful. I was sad that it became off limits as a viable name choice for me when my boss named her new puppy Zelda.

And I also worry about offending people on this thread. One person's Meatibell is another person's (insert perfect name here). My apologies to any Meatibell lovers out there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I hear Zelda, I think of Meganmydear's adorable little Zelda and my head explodes of cute.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

If we have a girl next time, she'll be named Zelda. Both Nate and I are video game geeks, but we think it just adds to the name's charm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The name Zelda will always remind me of pet Cemetary!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

choirqueer wrote:

I think Zelda is a fantastic name for a kid. I know a Zelda and she loves her name. She's a little younger than me and she did in fact grow up playing Zelda.

I should also mention my daughter got totally swept up in Zelda. I got Skyward Sword in December and would get up early (before kid) to play and she would wake up and beg to watch because it was so interesting and pretty. She even followed the story and remembered things I didn't. So now, even if I overrode the husband, Zelda would be off limits for another child because Nekana (aka, the kid who didn't get named Zelda) would probably be way too jealous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:11 am 
Impressive boner

Ruby Rose wrote:
Kittykins wrote:
I have seen signs for a real estate agent who's last name is Cockburn.

That's quite a common Scottish surname, you know. It's pronounced Coburn.

A friend's surname was Alcock. They pronounced it Alco.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I knew a kid with the last name Schmuckler. In Yiddish, it just means jeweler, but I'm surprised that nobody over the generations had changed it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had a dream that a former friend had a girl and named her Nicklyn. I bet there is someone somewhere named Nicklyn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
bodhi wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Nah, I just like to brag about how people think my kids' names are crazy. (They are PG Wodehouse-inspired.)

My friend knows a couple who made a name up for their kid -- Akhetaset, but then realised it's Akhet (Egyptian name, which was on purpose) + ketaset (a drug they had done -- whoops!).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 am 
Saggy Butt

I work in a jail, and we had an inmate named Shackles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Nah, I just like to brag about how people think my kids' names are crazy. (They are PG Wodehouse-inspired.)

I so long to find out your children are called Corky Pirbright and Gussie Finknottle...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ruby Rose wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

I so long to find out your children are called Corky Pirbright and Gussie Finknottle...

Haaaaaa! I love you (both)

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:46 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

saladsally wrote:
I work in a jail, and we had an inmate named Shackles.

Shackles is kind of a great name. Irons would be pretty great, too. I'm going to name my kid Irons Jeremy.

So far, my kids are named:

Pilcrow
Condombroke
Irons Jeremy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My husband's best friend's middle name is Irons. It's a freggin awesome name.

My best friend's middle name is Haskell, which is another name I love that you don't hear very often. I could never use it though because his wife already thinks I'm in love with him, so I think it might send her over the edge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If I ever have children, I'm going to do it Duggar-style and have 20. But instead of naming them all with J names, I'm going to use Dickens characters. (Okay, so I would never have 20 kids on purpose, but if I did, it would be so I could use these names.)

A sampling of potential first and middle names:
Noddy Boffin
Voluminia Dedlock
Affery Fintwinch
Uriah Heep
Newman Noggs
Dolge Orlick
Cherry Pecksniff
Augustus Snodgrass
Wackford Squeers
Milly Swidger
Polly Toodle

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm 
Grandfathered In

crowderpea wrote:
(Okay, so I would never have 20 kids on purpose, but if I did, it would be so I could use these names.)

I'm pretty sure "on purpose" is the only way anyone has 20 kids.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

FootFace wrote:
crowderpea wrote:
(Okay, so I would never have 20 kids on purpose, but if I did, it would be so I could use these names.)

I'm pretty sure "on purpose" is the only way anyone has 20 kids.

That's what you think.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You might be trying for 19 and have twins.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ruby Rose wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Tee Hee. One middle name (and both first names) is from the Jeeves & Wooster series, the other is from Tales of St. Austin's. (I actually don't care if y'all know my kids names, I just don't want certain people nosy/annoying relatives who will remain unnamed googling their names and finding my PPK posts.) ;p
I honestly think we are going to have to go the Wodehouse way for naming all our kids because that's the only stuff my husband and I agree on. He actually seriously wants to use the name Bassington-Bassington as a middle name if we have a girl. Not Bassington. Bassington-Bassington.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:24 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Tee Hee. One middle name (and both first names) is from the Jeeves & Wooster series, the other is from Tales of St. Austin's. (I actually don't care if y'all know my kids names, I just don't want certain people nosy/annoying relatives who will remain unnamed googling their names and finding my PPK posts.) ;p
I honestly think we are going to have to go the Wodehouse way for naming all our kids because that's the only stuff my husband and I agree on. He actually seriously wants to use the name Bassington-Bassington as a middle name if we have a girl. Not Bassington. Bassington-Bassington.

I like imagining that your kids' names actually are Beetroot and Raygold. And that they really call you Crabby. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next