| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: tell me about your parenting group/playgroup...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I bit the bullet and started a meet up group for vegan parents in San Diego (if anyone reading this is around here, join us!!). Now I need suggestions for where to have the first meet up. I was thinking a nearby park with toddler playground, which is within a few blocks of a vegetarian restaurant and a vegan-friendly popsicle place that has carrot juice pops available for the little ones.. But not making the meet up specifically food-centric yet (I can and probably will bring some snacks and stuff to the park, but don't want to start a habit of catering the whole thing, you know?).

Anyway, thoughts on this? We have play cafes around here too - I'll be at one later today for a FRG meeting and can check it out a bit - but I'm not sure how veg-friendly those are or whether the kids can take food into the play areas...one goal is to make a safe space where I don't have to constantly police what goes in V's mouth. I admit to feeling a bit bummed by an experience a couple weeks ago when I went to an acquaintance's post-stroller strides playgroup and I spent most of the time chasing Vi away from the tubs of Jello the leader had brought for the kids, fending off cheezits, etc. I don't know how strict I'll be on that stuff in the long run, but I'd like to create a safe space for kids when they're at the food-stealing stage.

Most of the kid-friendly things in the San Diego area are kind of animal-exploitation centric, like zoo, wild animal park, sea world...

ETA: I've thought about doing things at one of the local veg restaurants but I'm not sure any of them are quite kid-friendly enough for a roving band of free range toddlers, and I thought that might be better once a group is more established. I'm not opposed to restaurant meet ups but I'm trying to find something less stressful than wrangling a kid in a restaurant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Annak, i think a public place, like a toddler playground is a great idea. You might want to make a note that everyone is welcome to bring snacks or pick something up at nearby locations, such as... I hope it goes well! If you get a core group going, then having people take turns with snacks might be a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Our playgroup meets at a local park often, interestingly not the one with the playground, just because its easy to sit in a circle and talk and let the kids run around. Its easy to monitor the kids bc there is nowhere to disappear to. Its an open field.

And make it as easy as you can on yourself! We don't even do potlucks when we get together with kiddy friends any more, because it gets so stressful to try and pull something together and be on schedule with everyone. I'd take snacks and water for Vi and assume that every other mom will do the same.

And yes, a restaurant with toddlers sounds like so much work! I never believed that anything could ever dim my enthusiasm for trying different restaurants and foods, but having a tiny person to watch non-stop has managed to do that!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

One of the playgroups we sometimes go to (at a park) suggests that parents "bring a snack to share" and I think that's great if you're with other vegans. The Emperor is almost 3 and he and every other kid his age we meet still seem to subscribe to the idea that snack is always more appealing if it belongs to another family.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:49 pm 
Chip Strong

There are two playgroups that we went/go to that are in rented spaces. One was in a space that is used for birthing classes and one is at our local ethical society. For both groups we basically rent the space in 6 week increments and got a whole bunch of people to join so that the cost was very reasonable. And it was nice to have some indoor spaces so that if the weather wasn't so nice we had somewhere to go. That might not work for a meetup group though since you will have a different group of people all of the time.
As far as snacks go, everyone just brings their own. Of course every kid wants every other kid's snack as c&s said, so everyone just ends up sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I've looked for playgroups but all the ones I've found meet during the week and not on weekends. It kind of sucks. Actually,a lot of things like mommy and me yoga classes are all during the week, as if a working mom wouldn't want to be in a playgroup or do yoga with her kid. Le sigh.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

MMT, I have the same problem. At least I have one weekday off regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Figuring out times and dates is the next hurdle I'm fretting about - only 7 members have signed up for my meetup group so far and I feel like to have a first get together that isn't a disaster I need to recruit more people, because as soon as I pick a day and time and place it's going to exclude the one person who might've come anyway. I feel like I should populate my first meeting with stunt vegans to make it look more awesome. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 pm 
Semen Strong

MomMeTrois wrote:
Actually,a lot of things like mommy and me yoga classes are all during the week, as if a working mom wouldn't want to be in a playgroup or do yoga with her kid. Le sigh.

I wouldn't take it as a slight. I think its because for many women who work, the weekend is the only real time they get to hang out with their partners and kids.

If you wanted a class, there are tons of yoga teachers that would probably be all too happy to accommodate you on a weekend if you could get a group of even 5-6 people to commit to showing up regularly and paying $10 for an hour of yoga instruction.