| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 am 
Inflexitarian

Toast turned out to be a hit and so did tofu scramble and strawberries. It feels so funny sitting down at the table with a 6 month old and having breakfast like we're two adults. Of course, after I'm finished eating I usually don't have to strip down and be hosed off :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 am 
Inflexitarian

Butternut wrote:
She keeps eyeing my bodybuilder bars and I know I'm going to start eating those in secret since I'm not going to be giving her that kind of thing.

I'm officially a closet junk food eater, eating cupcakes when she falls asleep and french fries while she's at school. I was eating a big chunk of zucchini bread around her yesterday when I realized that she couldn't have it because of all the sugar. It then became my midnight snack after yoga.

And Tofulish you read my mind I was just going to say that I've reduced or eliminated the salt in my cooking now. It's been an adjustment to my taste buds but, once again, probably a good thing in the long run. I use salt-free broths now and lots and lots of fresh herbs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 am 
Chip Strong

Ada didn't eat much until 11 months but until she turned one I tried to avoid adding any salt to anything she was going to eat. She spit up a bunch when we gave her soy around ten months so I haven't given that to her since. Although, it's probably fine now. She had almond milk/butter, tahini, and sunflower butter before a year. We just tried cashews (in the veg news mac and cheese) this week which I'm excited about because now she can have any cashew cream based sauces :-)

The one big thing we have been putting off is gluten. I have a few family members with Celiac so I am terrified to give it to her. She can't get tested until she has actually been eating gluten for awhile which sucks so we just need to take the plunge and start giving her a little bit a day at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'd think that most babies might do okay with sesame seeds. We've given Freya cucumbers with the seeds in them, seedy bread, and Nakd bars with little bits of nuts about that size, and she's done well.

On the avoidance issue, we decided to go ahead with nut products, but not whole nuts because of the choking issue. We didn't avoid gluten either. I see lots of places saying to wait until 8 months or so, but she seems to be doing fine except for once when she ate like 2 pieces of this whole grain toast/cracker thing (some seriously weird poop the next day). We are avoiding bananas because of me having an allergy. Also skipping garlic because it gives her horrible gas when I eat too much, citrus/pineapple (juice in my diet = nappy rash. Sticking to the one year guideline for chocolate. We haven't done tomatoes yet, as I'm a bit worried about the acidity since citrus/pineapple seems to do her bad. We'll give it a go in a month or so probably.

Are your kiddos eating spicy things? We've been only doing bland foods so far, but I've been thinking often of one of my sisters who would eat salsa well before a year.

Having lots of fun here...I swear, she gets so excited at the sight of avocados now that I think she may flip out of her chair. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm 

So far my BLW attempts have been going no where. I've been trying to menu plan things for us that she would be able to handle and she just doesn't seem interested. My partner mentioned she really liked his lettuce off a veggie burger the other day at a restaurant. I thought he was crazy. Tonight I made tofu spring rolls. She went crazy for the lettuce I had served the rolls on. Tearing it, chewing it, and actually swallowing a bit. It was so cute watching her get into it and grabbing off my plate. Who knew lettuce would be interesting?
Hopefully this means she is getting ready to eat more of other stuff too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

Don't worry butternut, that's what its like in the beginning. Slowly but surely she'll start eating more. When you think about it it's a huge transition from drinking milk your entire life to suddenly chomping down on food.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:45 am 

Eating is actually happening around here and I've got the diapers to prove it. Big hits so far: avocado sushi rolls, baked falafel, pita with hummus, stir fried carrots, baked tofu, banana, plain avocado. Oh, and baked sweet potato fries are her favorite. We are really having fun with it. My mom is visiting and I think she thought it was a little crazy at first, but she read the baby led weaning book and seems proud of what babynut can so. I can hear her on the phone with her friends telling about how her granddaughter is eating sushi.

The starting solids handout my pediatrician's office gave us says not to make homemade carrots or beets for babies. And some other veggies I can't remember due to some of these crops having something in them depending on where they are grown? I can't remember what it was, I will have to look again. Anyone else heard of that? I'm dubious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have never heard about that butternut. Definatly update what it is about carrots and beets. E eats carrots all the time.
We are also haveing a huge leap in eating right now. When I give him food he eats more of it than gets on his face and floor. I find it hard to get away from a lot of grains though. He still loves his hummus (or other spread) on toast and he really likes eating pasta with a noochy sauce and veggies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am 

Okay, it was nitrates. The doctor's office said it had something to do with where the crops were grown. My quick Internet search gave me this info. I have been offering carrots and it's looks like that is okay for six months and up.

Quote:
"Blue Baby Syndrome" can be caused by nitrate poisoning.  However, it's extremely rare and usually caused by contaminated well water, NOT homemade baby food.   It's also treatable, but PLAY IT SAFE!  Here are some tips to avoid nitrate poisoning from homemade babyfood:

- Nitrates increase with storage time unless the food is frozen. When you use fresh vegetables to make homemade baby food make the food and freeze extra servings ASAP.

- Use frozen veggies for those vegetables high in nitrates.  

- Don't bother boiling the veggies first.  It won't reduce the nitrate concentration.

- Choose organic.  It doesn't eliminate the risk of nitrates, but it does minimize it.

- Wait before offering your baby foods like carrots.  Opinions vary about when to give a baby food that's higher in nitrates.  I've read anywhere from 6 to 9 months.

If you're still concerned and can decode all of the medical speak in this publication from the AAP, you can read about their take on nitrates.  The Mayo Clinic says:  "For babies younger than age 4 months, also avoid home-prepared spinach, beets, turnips and collard greens, which may contain high levels of potentially harmful compounds from soil (nitrates). " But I don't know of any infants eating solids before 4 months, anyway!  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Awesome new BLW trick: If you put your hand out below Malka's mouth she will open it and spit out whatever's in it or hold out her tongue so you can scrape off whatever's on there (dry leaves, coins, bottle caps, you know, the regular diet of adventurous crawlers). This has been particularly useful when she attempts orange chunks with too much fibrous membrane or when she can't bite through the skin of a piece of baked tofu or doesn't have enough moisture in her mouth to dissolve it sufficiently. The best part is that she taught HERSELF this trick.

In related news, she will now let us spoon-feed foods that are not amenable to holding: yogurt, lentil puree/soup, etc. She is LOVING lentil soup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:24 pm 

Ah, I"m looking forward to happier spoon feeding days. Freya can manage the spoon sorta, if we scoop it for her, but some things (like soya yogurt) are too difficult to manage by this method.

Thanks for posting about the nitrates Butternut. It's funny that carrots are one of only two things that F seems not to like so far (almond butter is the other).

Gave her the teeniest ever piece of chocolate today (about 1/4 size of a pencil eraser). Yeah...I'm going to have to eat my chocolate in secret now.

BLW = so much more fun (for baby and parents) than the puree method. Bought strawberries today at the store and she started squealing when she saw them!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We're waiting a few weeks still to start full-force, but I've been giving Will assorted veggies to gnaw. We went out for lunch today and his fingers were in everything! I gave him a cucumber minus the seeds and then freaked out when he bit off a chunk!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

What kind of pasta are you guys using? The only thing I have not been adventurous about feeding Guineapiglet is pasta as it is the only thing I'm actually worried she'll choke on - she probably won't since she hasn't even gagged on anything once but it's my one irrational feeding fear and it's your job to help me overcome it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

refinnej wrote:
BLW = so much more fun (for baby and parents) than the puree method. Bought strawberries today at the store and she started squealing when she saw them!

Oh how i love the image of a cute little one squealing and laughing at the sight of strawberries! BLW is so fantastic. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating or something, it's so little work or effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

He eats medium shells the easiest. Usually when I make a baked mac and cheese with seitan and peas. He also ate shells in tempeh helper. I tried spagetti and it was too hard to manage for him.
Also, I think I like BLW because it lets me be so much more lazy. All I have to do is make him something or give him a serving of what we are eating. He hates to be spoon fed but the times I have done it seemed like so much work!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm 

Today, Freya and I were eating lunch at this cafe and she became a bit infatuated with one of two baby boys sitting with their moms, a couple of tables away. When I caught the mom's eye, I asked about how old he was, and mentioned that they were doing the same little dance (it was *very* funny). I was slightly sad though later, as the ten month olds had a meal of baby mush. The dancing boy was offered a bit of strawberry, but his friend was only given baby food from a pouch where you suck it out from an opening in the top. The dancer kept reaching for his mom's food, but aside from two bites of strawberry, he had some orange jarred food.

I don't know their situation at all, so maybe he really couldn't have "big people food", but it was sad to seem him so excited about food which he was not allowed to have, while Freya sat nearby wolfing down squash, berries, bread, a bite of giant couscous, cucumber and some radicchio!

And, she seems to have survived her first bit of garlic (which I discovered was on the couscous/squash salad after I'd bought it). She still gets some painful gas if I eat too much garlic at a time, but she had lunch about 1 and went to bed with no ill effects, so yay. Excited because if she can handle some, it opens up a lot more of the foods we eat normally. Still going to take it carefully, but not so worried about giving her a bite of soup now, or maybe a fingerful of hummus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

GuineaPig wrote:
refinnej wrote:

Oh how i love the image of a cute little one squealing and laughing at the sight of strawberries! BLW is so fantastic. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating or something, it's so little work or effort.

Ha ha ha, no kidding! This is exactly why I love BLW.

The Magician has been trying all kinds of things. Cucumber, celery, and lettuce have all been hits with him. And little bits of stone fruits too.

Re: spicy foods: I let E try spicy foods right away. It was interesting because up until almost 2, he didn't seem to even notice that things were spicy. Now he doesn't like spicy stuff and whines about it. It's kind of annoying, I miss those days. Anyway: I don't think that (beyond allergy concerns) there's any particular reason to give babies bland food.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm 
Inflexitarian

The whole rationale around giving babies bland food was when you transition to solids before 6 months and you're spoon feeding a baby who isn't ready for solids yet. The bland food is used to coax the baby into eating solid foods without making too many waves. My refrigerator has been working on and off for the last month and it decided to break right after I did a ton of grocery shopping so I had no food or Guineapiglet to eat for the next day. I happened to have a little multi-grain baby cereal hanging around that I never opened so I figured I'd mix some with breastmilk and give it a try. SHE HATED IT! It's the only thing she's ever spit out. I guess bland baby cereal just can't compare with curry lentils and panang green beans.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Guineapig, please write a baby-led weaning vegan cookbook? Please? Or do a blog of your meals, because every time I read what Guineapiglet eats, I am inspired.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Guineapig, please write a baby-led weaning vegan cookbook? Please? Or do a blog of your meals, because every time I read what Guineapiglet eats, I am inspired.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This thread give me hope. A. is now 7 months but not really into mashed foods. She's eaten a little avocado, and a little banana, but the only thing she's really eaten any of is yams. I've done much better just giving her a slice of watermelon to gnaw on and things like that. The crazy thing is that she tries to steal food off our plates when we eat, but doesn't really seem into the plain foods we give her. Maybe I should try giving some seasoned stuff but with no salt. What do you guys think?

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

kdub wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

+1

+2
I would love that and I bet you could do a great job at it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am 
Inflexitarian

tank wrote:
kdub wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

+1

+2
I would love that and I bet you could do a great job at it!

Thanks! You never know what the future holds ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 am 
Semen Strong

I was reading the AAP study re allergens and when to introduce foods (mostly because I am so confused by when to introduce nuts - with the range of recommendations going from 6months to 5 years) and I thought I would share the link and some high lights. The AAP no longer recommends delaying the introduction of "allergen" foods, unless there is a history of allergies and as a vegan, I am really frustrated sometimes by what to put into her food that will give her protein.

Its always fun and a little frustrating to remember that eggs and dairy are highly allergenic to big groups of the population, yet we don't restrict those as freely, mostly because we recognize that they are a good and effective way to get fat and protein into the kidlets.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 1/183.full

[quoteI]"Although solid foods should not be introduced before 4 to 6 months of age, there is no current convincing evidence that delaying their introduction beyond this period has a significant protective effect on the development of atopic disease regardless of whether infants are fed cow milk protein formula or human milk. This includes delaying the introduction of foods that are considered to be highly allergic, such as fish, eggs, and foods containing peanut protein."[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:01 pm 

There was a study from Norway recently (just last year maybe?) that suggested even that delayed introduction *increased* the likelihood of reactions/allergies/intolerances.

As an aside, when I took F at 6 months for a baseline weight measurement before ditching formula, the health visitor was all excited to report to me that she could eat peanut butter now, because the recommendation had changed. She was seriously obsessed with peanut butter, I think she thought this was the only thing that Americans eat.

The recommendation here was for children not to eat whole nuts until they are five. Five! I can't tell you how many times I ate nuts with Baby G and Baby K. I loved that they loved our "trail mix" with cashews and sunflower seeds.

So far (only about 7 weeks in now), protein sources are (aside from breastmilk):
tofu (mostly broken into cubes/rectangles and eaten uncooked as she likes it better that way so far
whole grain bread, sometimes with seeds or bits of nuts (she's never ever choked, but I suspect some of the seeds come out the other end)
Butter beans, which she absolutely adores, and black beans
refried beans, which we had just today for the first time and were a hit
avocado
oats/oatmeal/oatcakes (like rice cakes)
seitan, which she has to work at to chew, so I've been giving her small small bites
slightly mashed (so she can pick them up) lentils
brown rice, though she has a really hard time eating this yet, even if we make it stickyfied

By a year, I'd hope to add quinoa, millet, barley along with raisin or other bits of dried fruits and maybe some seeds. There are bits of protein in most vegetables, just not as much as legumes and grains. Peas though, have something like 9g/cup, so not bad.

(we are having lots of fun with weaning :) )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next