| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, even here, some experts will say 5, because of the choking hazard.

I made an amazing nut cheese from Rawmazing and I really want to use it in a spread for her, because it is delicious and high in fat and protein. I gave her a wee taste with no ill effects, but the majority of her meal was the same veggies with an avocado, which she alw,ays loves instead of nut cheese.
http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-recipe-sim ... nd-cheese/

I think I just need to get my nerve up.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It is scary. Having worked in childcare for so long, I've encountered lots of kids with allergies and intolerances. One of the things the mom of one of the seriously affected (tree nuts) kids mentioned was that most kids actually have their nut issues discovered before they start eating them themselves. In her case, for instance, she came home sweaty after a run, grabbed some sort of energy bar, and bent over to kiss baby on the changing table and he broke out in hives in like 20 seconds. Eek. The idea was though, that if your kid is seriously allergic, it's not certain, but likely that they would've been exposed to the protein in your saliva or dust on your hands or what have you.

Also, that nut cheese looks super easy!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is fascinating, and kind of reassuring. Or maybe not. Oy.

My nieces all have peanut allergies, I have a stone fruit allergy, my husband is allergic to certain meds as is his mom (though not the same ones interestingly). I can definitely recommend checking out FAAN if you have any concerns too. It is really pretty amazing. http://www.foodallergy.org/

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

I've actually been worrying that ive waited too long to introduce peanuts and nuts. But I just can't decide how I want to prepare them. Last night I finally decided that I'm going to make African Peanut Soup for dinner one night this week (although that cheese recipe looks really good) the only trouble with nuts is that we can't take anything made with nuts to school with her so I have to prepare something different for her lunch at school. I can't wait until she graduates to the toddler room and can start eating from the school menu, it's all organic and they have a vegan menu - one less bag to pack in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:44 pm 

We've been slowly introducing the allergenic foods...it's scary! Tahini and strawberries were okay. And today we had dumplings with a peanut sauce; I almost held my breath. She loved it an no problems so far knock on wood. I'm only avoiding oranges because those made me break out as a toddler. And obvious choking hazards of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay... I've read the book, I've been making a point of including baby-friendly foods in our meals, I have a good idea of what we'll start with... I just can't get past the choking threat. I know I'm still over-thinking the whole thing! I've been following the "what your baby/toddler ate" thread, which is great. I'm comfortable with soft foods-- avocado, beans, rice, fruit, roasted veggies-- but how do I know he's ready for more chewing-- cucumber, breads, pasta, tofu?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

GuineaPig wrote:
I can't wait until she graduates to the toddler room and can start eating from the school menu, it's all organic and they have a vegan menu - one less bag to pack in the morning.

This sounds amazing!
I'm also curious how you all presented BLW to care-takers? We'll get a little practice eating before school starts and our babysitter cooks most meals from scratch, but I'm not sure what how it will work with the other kiddos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:03 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

refinnej wrote:
There was a study from Norway recently (just last year maybe?) that suggested even that delayed introduction *increased* the likelihood of reactions/allergies/intolerances.

I posted this in another thread, but our pediatrician, based on this and some other studies, is now recommending the introduction of wheat, nuts, and eggs before six months as this seems to be a sweet spot of sorts, and introducing these foods early can reduce likelihood of allergies. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea, although the almond cheese Tofulish posted seems like a great way to try out nuts before 6 months of age. (Her idea was to thin out peanut butter with breast milk....)

Charlie has made very clear recently that even though he's only five months, he's ready for solid food. He had some avocado mashed with breast milk last night and inhaled it. I'm still terrified of the choking, so we will likely do a mix of purees and BLW and see how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:30 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm so psyched to give her nut cheese today! She's done fine with Amande almond yogurt and a wee bit of almond milk, so this should be a nice easy way to get a bit more protein into her.

I wish there were a single resource bc it seems so crazy that MDs are so uninformed about ped nutrition but are the ones who guide the convo for most parents. I'mma be over here dreaming about GP's book :)

Eta: kdub, I think its totally normal to be nervous and overthink. I know my partner and I did. I figure you give them a wee piece and watch and see how they do. Even now, L will eat a bit of broccoli or whatnot that is too big, and she'll expertly gag it forward and try again. And know that you know what to do if you see choking, just flip them over and smack them on the back but don't reach into their mouths.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

It is so weird to hang out with other people's kids sometimes. I am so used to giving wolverine big chunks of food to eat away at. The other day at the park we had lunch with a bunch of other mamas and babies. One of the other babies (1yo) reached into wolverines stash and grabbed a cucmber. I let him because she feeds him pretty much the same stuff as I feed my kid. She took it out of his mouth and ripped it into a bunch of small pieces. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I am just so used to giving my kid food in it's natural state for him to work on. I also watch him really closely with that stuff too. He has never choked or anything but with some things I need to fish skins and such out of his mouth or they would stay there forever!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

refinnej wrote:
Ah, I"m looking forward to happier spoon feeding days. Freya can manage the spoon sorta, if we scoop it for her, but some things (like soya yogurt) are too difficult to manage by this method.

Thanks for posting about the nitrates Butternut. It's funny that carrots are one of only two things that F seems not to like so far (almond butter is the other).

Gave her the teeniest ever piece of chocolate today (about 1/4 size of a pencil eraser). Yeah...I'm going to have to eat my chocolate in secret now.

BLW = so much more fun (for baby and parents) than the puree method. Bought strawberries today at the store and she started squealing when she saw them!

Oh yeah n the chocolate. We gave Grey a tiny piece of a cookie, he scraped all the cookie part away and just ate the chocolate chip that was in there...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 am 
Married to the wolfman

Bizarrely, my experience has been that my kids are LESS likely to gag on foods they have to chew. Pretty much the only gagging issues we've ever had have been with like, mushed up bananas and that sort of thing.

Re: allergies, the research was all over the place when the Emperor was a baby. Start early! Start late! Don't worry unless you have severe allergy in your family! No, it's nothing to do with your family! It was really confusing and our pediatrician was very level with us on that. He pretty much suggested we give him whatever, mostly single ingredient foods to start, spaced out reasonably. So that's what we did. E was not in to solids for the longest asparagus time, but he had tried bites of things with nuts and soy etc by a year for sure.

The Magician is super into trying foods in a way E really wasn't at this age. I'm trying to have something little to offer him at every meal but ugh so lazy. I need to like make a container of baby safe things in the fridge or something.

He has tried a tiny bite of soy (soy yogurt that E fed to him while I was distracted) and gluten (gnawing on toast strips) and I'm pretty sure we'd realize if he had a nut allergy... I seriously eat nuts all day long.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

Yeah, I think that unless you have allergies in the family or some suspicion of allergies already, you just have to go for it. I've a latex allergy that cross-reacts with bananas, so we're not giving her those until I'm confident that I could just a reaction in her (I've never gotten a rash, but my ears itch like the fires of hell).

The choking thing is indeed very interesting to watch. I'd be willing to be that many kids would be more likely to choke on a peanut butter sandwich for instance, than an actual peanut. Also, getting a solid object out = way easier than something pasty/sticky (most of the time).

I had my first "bad mommy" moment the other day. We'd had some veggie dogs maybe a week ago that Freya liked, these really nice ones that are made with tofu and very natural. I found some of the same brand at Whole Foods that were a bit spicy, but I didn't realize how spicy until a bit after I'd eaten a couple of bites...you know how heat sneaks up on you sometimes? I'd already given Freya a piece by then, with which she was quite pleased. Then about 30 seconds later, I see a concerned look on her face and some mild sweat. Oh dear. She had pasta and blueberries (maybe her favorite food) on her high chair, so I managed to finally convince her to take a blueberry. I swear she said her first words.."thank goodness". :D So, yeah, now I now she's not quite ready for spice yet maybe. I'd hoped that mainlining chili sauce and mexican food and scotch bonnet samosas when I was pregnant would give her my tastebuds as opposed to her dad's bland ones. We shall see. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

kdub wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:
I can't wait until she graduates to the toddler room and can start eating from the school menu, it's all organic and they have a vegan menu - one less bag to pack in the morning.

This sounds amazing!
I'm also curious how you all presented BLW to care-takers? We'll get a little practice eating before school starts and our babysitter cooks most meals from scratch, but I'm not sure what how it will work with the other kiddos.

It's pretty fantastic, I don't know how I lucked up vegan-friendly, cloth diaper friendly, BLW advocates and multi-lingual. I swear, I was considering moving but am staying just so she can stay in this school until kindergarten.

I am really fortunate that her school is all about evidence-based learning and doing what is appropriate based on the milestones of the child and where they are developmentally. They strongly encourage parents to wait until kiddos are 6 months old and can feed themselves and are big on self-feeding. When you think about it, self-feeding really makes things easier for the caregiver because they don't have to sit and try to spoon feed multiple little ones. Which is a great way to position it to caregivers who are reluctant. Also, remember when presenting BLW to your caregivers that you're paying them so if you need to be a bit assertive and demanding then so be it. Even though Gpiglets school is very Pro baby led weaning every once in a while someone will try to feed her something like butternut squash sticks but they tell me about it and I nicely but firmly remind them about the importance of BLW and how important it is to develop her hand eye coordination and use of her digits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:53 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

The allergy stuff is so confusing! Even the allergists don't really know. My Pedi has been instructing me to eat all nuts and is of the train of thought that it could actually help prevent nut allergies (which my older daughter has). But, this doctor also doesn't want us using any formula that isn't allergen free, so... um... yea... seems like a contradiction, right? I guess with the dairy stuff she knows that my other kids had allergies to it through breastmilk and that it's probably the same for A. (if I still consumed dairy) so I guess in a way it makes sense. Or at least that's how I try to rationalize it to myself since in reality the shittake doesn't make sense!

I'm of the pray and keep Benadryl on hand mindset at this point. Even with O. (the older girl) we learn of new allergies by trial and error. Like when I fed her the vegan pesto with Walnuts... yea, didn't go over well. But now sunflower seeds are okay and they weren't before. It can be really scary.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

Reffinej if that counts as a bad mommy moment then I'm the worst! I had a similar situation with some curry chickpea and lentil soup. Ive had it a ton of times before so I didn't think twice I just watered it
down a little to adjust the sodium content and fed away. Guineapiglet is such an even tempered baby that she just politely declined eating anymore after 4-5 spoonfulls then, as I finished off the soup I realized it had a kick at the end. I'm thankful for such a sweet calm baby but sometimes a little protest is helpful too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 pm 

Heh. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Her poor little brow sweating was a bit sad, though she didn't seem too the worse for wear. I do wonder if she was thinking "what the hell?".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ha - this has happened to us also! I used to make this dhal recipe all the time, and I ran out of curry powder, so I bought a new package. Apparently this kind was quite a bit hotter, but since it was a usual recipe, I didn't taste it before giving it to my then one year old. He seemed to like it, but as he was eating, his eyes started watering like crazy, and he kept putting more in his mouth! Poor little thing! By that point, I'd gotten a few bites in and realized it was HOT, so we let him just have rice for the rest of his dinner. But man, he was a trooper.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sven is six months on Thursday and I'm so glad to read this thread! I'm reading the BLW book but it's not so vegan friendly, although it makes me feel better and less intimidated about the process of introducing solids. Mostly we're delaying because we haven't picked out a high chair yet. :) Also, we're waiting until after our vacation because I don't want any family members trying to give him food...

We have quite a few Celiacs in our family, and while I know that's a different ball game from allergies (which I'm also freaked out about), it's still so hard to find any sort of consensus on when to introduce gluten when there's a family history. I talked to an RD who basically said nobody has any real idea how to best minimize risk -- some people say before 6 months, some say after 1 year, some after 3 years -- and the best you can do is have a pediatrician who is informed about the symptoms of Celiac and watch for any sort of reaction. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:52 pm 
Semen Strong

This thread inspired me to give L some peanut butter. She LOVED it. Yay! Its been 90mins and no reaction!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mandycoot wrote:

We have quite a few Celiacs in our family, and while I know that's a different ball game from allergies (which I'm also freaked out about), it's still so hard to find any sort of consensus on when to introduce gluten when there's a family history. I talked to an RD who basically said nobody has any real idea how to best minimize risk -- some people say before 6 months, some say after 1 year, some after 3 years -- and the best you can do is have a pediatrician who is informed about the symptoms of Celiac and watch for any sort of reaction. Ugh.

Mandycoot, celiac is hereditary, so if he has it, he has it, and if he doesn't, giving him gluten early is not going to cause it. Our pediatrician told me the blood test isn't accurate until 2. I have celiac and I waited until a year to introduce gluten into Walter's diet, but only because I didn't feel equipped to deal with a sick baby until then (on the off chance he had celiac too). So far so good, but I will have him tested at 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah for Leela and peanut butter and no reactions! (FYI, when Lucy had her reaction, it was immediate, so hopefully you're in the clear.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

mittenmacher wrote:
Mandycoot, celiac is hereditary, so if he has it, he has it, and if he doesn't, giving him gluten early is not going to cause it. Our pediatrician told me the blood test isn't accurate until 2. I have celiac and I waited until a year to introduce gluten into Walter's diet, but only because I didn't feel equipped to deal with a sick baby until then (on the off chance he had celiac too). So far so good, but I will have him tested at 2.

Oh, the two year thing is good to know! Celiac also runs in our family. My brother was diagnosed when he was two and had some pretty severe symptons. My nieces were diagnosed at 9 and 13 but no one knows how long they had it (since you can go without symptoms for awhile). Our pediatricians didn't seem to know much about when to introduce gluten and one of them said they would test her at 15 months if we started giving her gluten at one year. I finally got the courage to start giving her small amounts this week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:51 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
This thread inspired me to give L some peanut butter. She LOVED it. Yay! Its been 90mins and no reaction!

That's a relief! We did some on apple slices yesterday and she loved it too. She kept eating all of it off the apple, and then I would reload the apple and hand back to her. Repeat. The apple slice slowly getting smaller all the while. It's so fun to feed her!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh, just a quick note for those who are looking out for food allergies. If your child has a food allergy to something you introduce you will know pretty immediately after their second time eating the food or being exposed to it. The first time nothing will happen because the body hasn't seen the proteins before to launch an improper attack but the second time the body see's it (if the child has an allergic reaction to it) it means the body is malfunctioning in a way and has built up defenses to rid the body of the normal food which is what it means to have a food allergy. So if you've done more than two exposures and there's nothing then you're likely good to go for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next