| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Guinea piglet started grabbing food out of my bowl around 4 months at 21 weeks she had all her readiness milestones but i pushed her first food to 24 weeks. We started with purées but she jut took over and tried to start feeding herself. I was completely turned off to blw after downloading the kindle blw cookbook and it immediately slammed vegan diets for infants but I couldn't deny that my little one wanted to feed herself and is interested in the foods that I'm eating not purées. She's now 25 weeks and we're complete blw converts. She hasn't actually swallowed more than 1/2 teaspoon of food but enjoys trying new things and being part of meals. I also don't give her solid foods everyday. This week we're going to experiment with parsnip and purple sweet potatoes. I have to say feeding her via blw has already improved the way I eat so it's good for the whole family.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

annak wrote:
The banana sock is great for keeping them busy, but has anyone figured out how to satisfactorily clean that thing? I manually use a dish cloth and brush to scrub it, inside and out, with hot water. Then I run it through the dishwasher. Then I get rid of any dried crusties and wash it by hand again. I feel like no matter what there is always banana goo somewhere in the darned things. Keeps Vi quiet while I make my coffee, though, so recycled banana goo she gets fed. I am a terrible mother.

I heard using a toothbrush works well.

I am a little confused about what BLW is. So they grab for stuff and that's when you know they are ready to try stuff? So they don't eat canned baby food, I get that. But can you still make them mushy food like with a baby bullet and how do you know if they are ready for that? I'm confused. Also, when can they eat avocado? Not mushed, but just pieces? And can you do a combo of BLW and whatever people usually do and what would that look like?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Kimba - the idea behind BLW is that you skip the baby mush altogether and you offer food in its normally eaten state. So if there is a food that is normally eaten pureed/mushy (like oatmeal or dal), you might spoon-feed it (or give the baby a spoon, I guess), but otherwise you give foods that are as close to stick-shaped as possible to make it easy to hold and if necessary, those pieces should be cooked to a softness the baby can consume them at. We've given Malka slices of avocado whole and slivers of mango (with the skin still on, that seems to help) and she'll eat them like that.

I don't know what other people do in terms of mixing baby mush feeding and BLW, but I've been inclined lately to give some mushed foods because Malka just seems really bad at getting food in her mouth and swallowing it on her own and I'm starting to get concerned about the lack of volume and variety she's getting. She's 8 months now. Still, we haven't made any effort to actually make her mush food - I gave her a bit of mushed up sweet potato I was eating the other day and then we gave her tastes of hummus, baba ghanoush, and dal at a meal recently.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

kimba wrote:
annak wrote:
The banana sock is great for keeping them busy, but has anyone figured out how to satisfactorily clean that thing? I manually use a dish cloth and brush to scrub it, inside and out, with hot water. Then I run it through the dishwasher. Then I get rid of any dried crusties and wash it by hand again. I feel like no matter what there is always banana goo somewhere in the darned things. Keeps Vi quiet while I make my coffee, though, so recycled banana goo she gets fed. I am a terrible mother.

I heard using a toothbrush works well.

I am a little confused about what BLW is. So they grab for stuff and that's when you know they are ready to try stuff? So they don't eat canned baby food, I get that. But can you still make them mushy food like with a baby bullet and how do you know if they are ready for that? I'm confused. Also, when can they eat avocado? Not mushed, but just pieces? And can you do a combo of BLW and whatever people usually do and what would that look like?

BLW is allowing babies to eat (or experiment with food) when they are ready. Humans have grown and thrived since the beginning of humanity without purees, baby bullets, canned baby food, rice cereal, etc. so it's basically but following the natural order of things. When your baby can sit up unassisted, reach for food, move it from one hand to the other, put and put it in his/her mouth they are ready to start experimenting with food. Like Ariann said you give the baby foods based on the softness they can eat and in manageable pieces for them to pick up. Breast milk is the primary and most important source of nutrients until the baby is 1 years old and in the first few months of BLW the baby is usually doing more tasting than actually eating which is just fine as solids foods don't really have all the baby needs to grow and thrive like breastmilk does.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:56 pm 
Semen Strong

kdub wrote:
Someone in my LLL group just lent me Baby Led Weaning. I've only flipped through it, but it looks good.

I bought this, and found it so useful. Its very basic, but it definitely put my mind to rest and I can recommend it to anyone wondering about how this works.

I do stick to the one new food every 3 days rule, just in case we have any allergic responses, but so far Leela has eaten and liked carrots, cucumbers, celery, hummus, rice cereal, bananas, melon, pears, apple, squash, lentil curry, injera and strawberries. After a "meal" ie playing with food to understand textures etc, she wants a milk feeding, which makes sense. The food is really just for practicing handling, swallowing, moving food around and fun right now.

We also keep a little bowl of celery sticks and carrots for chewing if she has teething issues.

Leela eating

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

kdub wrote:
kdub wrote:
So the hard food are just for gnawing? Anything else should be softish? Could you do apples before teeth? I need to get reading in my book!

My doc mentioned cereal a few times at our 2 month appt and that we'd talk about it at 4 months. I'm going back and forth about if I should tell him we're skipping it or just smile and nod...

Oops, this was supposed to be in the BLW thread!

They want you to start with the cereal because it is fortified with iron. I'm not sure how that is covered with the BLW. I plan on reading that book, Tofulish. I keep putting it off because I have so many other things to do, but this eating thing is just around the corner for us.

I was nervous about the 4 month checkup because I wasn't sure what I would say either, but our ped was fine with my response: I want to think about it more and wait until she is interested.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:31 pm 

Oh, and I forgot to add...Leela! She's so adorable.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
kdub wrote:
kdub wrote:
So the hard food are just for gnawing? Anything else should be softish? Could you do apples before teeth? I need to get reading in my book!

My doc mentioned cereal a few times at our 2 month appt and that we'd talk about it at 4 months. I'm going back and forth about if I should tell him we're skipping it or just smile and nod...

They want you to start with the cereal because it is fortified with iron. I'm not sure how that is covered with the BLW. I plan on reading that book, Tofulish. I keep putting it off because I have so many other things to do, but this eating thing is just around the corner for us.

I was nervous about the 4 month checkup because I wasn't sure what I would say either, but our ped was fine with my response: I want to think about it more and wait until she is interested.

There are foods out there that you can introduce at 4 months (including rice cereal, apples, banana and avocado and orange veggies), but the AAP suggests waiting on solids until 6 months.

We skipped the rice cereal, bc my friend's daughter had a really rough bout of constipation with it, and that doesn't seem so uncommon. So we did a mixed grain cereal fortified with iron just in case, that she enjoys eating. I like the idea of her getting a little extra iron, bc I know my diet is deficient in it.

Butternut,the book is an easy read - I managed it (and I barely manage to read anything) in under an hour, and it put my mind at ease and cleared up a lot of confusion. We have had 2 peds recommend very different things, and have a range of friends who have done very different things and my husband has been so anxious since her vomiting spell. My step sister used the same book, and had a very successful time of it with her 3rd kid. Her 3rd kid is the least picky kid ever, and my ss attributes it to BLW.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

Butternut wrote:
kdub wrote:
kdub wrote:

Unfortunately many pediatricians are still stuck in the past and don't abide by the AAP recommendations of exclusive breastfeeding, no solids until 6 months of age. There have also been a few papers in Pediatrics (the AAP journal) about doing away with fortified rice cereals all together and simply introducing meats/beans when solid foods are introduced. Iron really doesn't become a concern until kids are closer to a year old. The amount of iron in breastmilk is low but it is so readily absorbed that it doesn't need to be high to meet the dietary needs of a baby. Plus the type of synthetic iron that is in rice cereals is rough on the babies intestines and can cause microbleeds and constipation.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Most BF babies get enough iron (and other nutrients) from breast milk that food before age 1 is mostly "for fun"/about giving them a new experience. I'm guessing this is true of formula as well.

FWIW, we did complete BLW with the Emperor, because it fits in with my very lazy parenting style. He started trying foods often around 9 months but didn't eat any significant quantity of anything solid until about 15-16 months. I just offered him bites of whatever I was eating.... Like GP mentioned, it made me eat better too!

I was so surprised it took him so long to get into food really. He loved to watch us eat when he was really little and first grabbed for our food around 4 moths-- but after he'd get it in his mouth, he'd just look upset and take it back out. Weird, but his iron was always fine and he certainly figured out food eventually.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm 
Chip Strong

I was worried that Ada's iron level would come back low at her one year check up because the pediatrician was pushing for us to give her Trivisol and rice cereal pretty early on. The only supplement we gave/give her is Vit D and all of her vitamin levels were perfectly fine. She hardly ate any solids until 11 months and is just now starting to eat significant amounts.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

C&S and Sashi, it's helpful to hear your experiences.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, butternut! I'll probably end up telling our doc. Also, my iron levels have always been really good, so hopefully Will's are too.

And thanks others for the experiences and advice. I think it's hard not too stress about food, especially when jars and the like are east to quantify vs he picked up a few things and *may* have eaten. The LC at my mom's group always says "i've never met a teenager who doesn't know how to eat."

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm 
Inflexitarian

kdub wrote:
I think it's hard not too stress about food

This is me exactly. Even though pediatric and maternal nutrition are my specialty I still found that when it came to my own child I was second guessing everything, reading everything 5 times the one more time for good measure, combing through textbooks, the latest research the whole nine. But the moment I tried to feed guineapiglet pureed food and she immediately started to try to feed herself I knew I had to let the fear go and go with BLW. Good luck! It seems in motherhood there's always something to stress about!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I wish I had looked into BLW before introducing Lu to solids. He's 15 months now, and eating well, but he does still sometimes have issues with textures from only having purees at first. The cool thing now is he only wants to eat foods he can pick up. If I try to spoon feed him something, he just isn't interested.
On the choking thing, Lu gagged on a baby cookie today and I completely panicked. I took a CPR class before taking him home from the hospital, but all of that knowledge was gone when my kid was in front of me with half a cookie lodged in his throat. I did what you shouldn't do and stuck my hand in his mouth to try and fish out the cookie. He ended up swallowing it and he was fine. But don't do that! It could have made the choking worse. I'm printing out that illustration from Babycenter and tacking it to the fridge.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:08 am 
Inflexitarian

Yikes! How scary! I took a baby cpr class while I was pregnant but, to be honest, I feel like I need to take it again. Or, at the very least, look through all the handouts again. It's the simplest thing to do yet, in the moment, the hardest thing to remember when the most important thing in the world to you is right in front of you choking or in distress. So glad little Lu is ok. He's super lucky to have such a great mommy.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 am 

I want to take the class again, too. I'm gonna look into that this weekend. I think it warrants a good brush up every year or so.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 am 

And the technique changes when the baby gets older. My class only had us practice infant CPR. I think after one year the rules change. I realized in that class that if I needed to find my landline in an emergency, I would be forked. It's cordless and I can never find it! It's better to call from the landline for emergency services, so I put an extension in the baby's room with all the emergency numbers, our address (in case of babysitter), and the CPR poster I got at the class. I hope I never have to use it!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

wolverine grabbed my burrido right out of my hands and took a huge bite of it and loved it, hot sauce and all. That's my boy. We are doing BLW. He has been "eating" solids since 4m. He is barely 6m now. It's weird but I feel like just since the other day when he actually turned 6m he started ingesting a LOT of food. He ate a bunch of avacado cubes last night too. He also can down almost an entire banana. He hates when I try and feed him and just grabs the food or spoon right from my hand.
I am still a bit nervous giving him some stuff mostly because I am not sure if there are things that will upset his stomach. We don't have many allergies in the family (except dairy and shellfish but thats irrelavent) so I am not as worried about that. One thing that has shown to give him a tummyache is soy. I misteakenly gave him a bite of my soy yogurt and he was upset for the rest of the day. What do you guys think about coconut yogurt for babies? I wish I could just make him breastmilk yogurt!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:15 am 

tank wrote:
What do you guys think about coconut yogurt for babies? I wish I could just make him breastmilk yogurt!

My son loves coconut milk yogurt! He also loves eating chunks of coconut oil. Messy, but he smells so good after.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am 
Chip Strong

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
tank wrote:
What do you guys think about coconut yogurt for babies? I wish I could just make him breastmilk yogurt!

My son loves coconut milk yogurt! He also loves eating chunks of coconut oil. Messy, but he smells so good after.

Ada just started eating coconut yogurt a few weeks ago and loves it. She would eat half of those giant containers if I let her. But, she is 12 months old so I'm not sure how she would have handled it at six months. I would think that there would be less of a chance of coconut yogurt causing digestive problems than soy. We did put coconut milk in purees early on and that was fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
Inflexitarian

Is it all soy products or just the yogurt? Maybe the probiotics didn't sent well with his tummy. So Delicious has a ton of sugar in it so that would be my only hesitation.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:28 am 
Semen Strong

Leela likes curry

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 pm 

!!! so cute!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband insists that other babies don't get this dirty because "their moms just feed them, instead of you letting her play with her food." Thanks dude.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next