| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

we actually have always done this, or at least tried--sometimes I'd eat or sit at the table while nursing or sometimes one of us would be standing rocking next to the table while the other ate. Sometimes tiny wu just sat on our laps. I guess this is all partly because she's always been so no-don't-put-me-down-I-will-surely-perish! So we had to make it work.

By 5 months (probably sooner, actually) she was grabbing at our food anf poking our plates, though we didn't give her any solids until about 6months + a week or two. At first she sat on our laps, but once she got more comfortable with eating and wanting a bit more food, we did get her a high chair--maybe around 7 months? It doesn't have a tray so she still sits right at the table with us.

Totally unrelated to your question, LP, I have to say how amazed I am because in June, half a rice cake could take her 20 minutes to eat and food was definitely more for playing with than eating. Now by the end of summer she is a hearty eater and likes pretty much everything. On our trip last week we found out she loves pad Thai, watermelon, curried butternut squash, and onion bhaji. Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, we also tried to have everyone at the table as early on as possible. Sometimes it's easiest to just hold baby so she can see what's going on, which might mean you have to take turns with your partner holding baby or eating dinner for a while. As soon as she can sit up, you can put her into a high chair so she can watch what you do during dinners and help her feel included. Zeph mostly eats now (14 mos) but still plays sometimes to explore the different things he's eating. And since we've always eaten at the table, it really helps him to feel a routine, because getting things on the table means it's time to eat. (Or if he's hungry, he sometimes plants himself over there.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool ill have to dig out her high chair and see what's doing. ive never tried to eat holding her because previously i still felt like i needed to support her head but i think she's pretty reliable head control wise now.

it will just mean we actually have to sit at the table now like real people instead of watching tv like the lazy slobs we are. ;-)

we both talked about how we should sit at the table like a family and stuff now we just need to do it.

she's pretty good at sitting up on her own on the couch propped up so im thinking soon she will be able to sit up all by herself.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:21 pm 
Inflexitarian

You can roll up towels or those think baby blankets next to the punklet to keep her sitting up if necessary. My nephew sits at the table with the family in his high chair with just a little support from a towel. My SIL says that is his most talkative time of day - he sqeals and squawks his 2 cents during the dinner conversation! We have one of those high chairs that attaches to a regular chair - and it actually reclines a little for the younger set to use before they can sit well on their own - I got it for $10 off craigslist so that might be an option too?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we took her high chair out tonight. she can totally sit in it now. it reclines a bit so she doesnt need any support and has a seatbelt since she likes to squirm all over.

aftr we catch up on Breaking Bad we'll stop watchin tv and act like a real family

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We started "eating as a family" pretty early too. Will started in his bouncy seat on the floor near the table when he was really little and probably around 4 or 5 months we sat him in his chair at the table often. (Sound like we have a similar chair to annarobie and we were able to recline him)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

you know, with tzipi at first we were all about family dinners, and we were going to sit together and eat together and instill good values Eleventy!!1 but man, sometimes you just need to veg out in front of the tv with your bowl resting on your gut. so it can be fun to sit down together to eat once in a while, but don't feel bad if it's not an every night thing. we eat dinner at the table most nights now, and tzipi has good table manners and can hold her own in a more formal situation, but we didn't end up consistently eating at the table all together until tzipi was consistently eating a dinner meal at dinner time. so maybe 18 months? even now there are days were my partner or i will feed the kids earlier, then we will proceed to eat slobbily together in front of our tv show after they're in bed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We still don't sit at the table on a regular basis. Our apartment is so small, it is just more comfortable to be on the sofa or whatever and you are still so close together I don't see how it matters. I don't think it's being at the table as much as being together and interacting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hey everyone BabyPunk turns 6 months next weekend and im really excited to try BLW with her.

she is definitely in a grabby hands stage where she wants whatever you have in your hand (regardless of whether or not it's food since i dont think she even knows what food is, my phone is the thing she wants to grab the most)

im about 3/4 of the way through the BLW book and i think it does a good job explaining the theory of BLW but like a lot of the reviews i read of the book said, it's purely anecdotal and it's EXTREMELY repetitive. i wish it would explain how to do it better.

it basically is anti-stages and makes it sound like your baby should be eating whatever youre eating regardless of what it is except for choking hazards and potential allergens like peanut.

i understand that in a few months we should be there but to start i feel that's kind of inappropriate.
i mean to start i feel more comfortable giving her her own little finger foods regardless of what we are eating.

im thinking:
broccoli spears (steamed)
sweet potato chunks (steamed or roasted)
avocado slices
a chunk of apple????? (is this too hard to start with or do they just mouth it?)
also i was thinking just a chunk of tofu plain is it ok to serve raw tofu or do i need to saute it?

and then in a few months i was thinking the mac n cheese recipe from Vegan Table (that one is my personal favorite) but the cheese sauce is cashew based. is it ok to feed babies a cashew sauce or are we supposed to avoid all forms of nuts til after they are 1-2?

i guess i feel like there should still be stages, just like informal stages. i mean im not going to give my 6 month old some of the curry i made for dinner for her first meal. maybe that's just me though.

last question. i know for the first few months she wont really be digesting much if anything since it's more about exploring and playing and gaining the motor skills but for those of you that breastfed when did you find they starting nursing less?
BP still nurses every 1.5-2 hours during the day. im looking forward to nursing less. i still want her to BF for a long time but im ready for a break that is longer than 2 hours during the day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Those sound like good choices for starting. Apple slices were a big hit with Will early on (still are) and tofu too. We started similarly, mostly giving him whatever veggie side we were eating.

As far as nuts, as long as you have no family history, I think you're fine to try. I gave Will pb by 7 months, because I wanted to know (you can probably go back and fine my post about it!).

And nursing... It was probably close to 15 months when we made noticeable cut backs in nursing. All babies are different though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kdub wrote:
And nursing... It was probably close to 15 months when we made noticeable cut backs in nursing. All babies are different though.

On second thought, it was probably closer to 12m that nursing "slowed". By 15m, Will was nursing 4x/day and by 18m he was down to 2x/day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Introducing babies to solids can be frustrating, because there is so much (often conflicting) information, esp re allergens and there isn't one single source of reliable information. And of course every baby is different, which is why there isn't a one size fits all approach. Our MD was big on avoiding all allergens like strawberries etc until 1 and nuts until 2. I felt more comfortable with just giving her a bit of whatever we were eating and watching for any reactions, so L had peanut and almond butter at 9 months (and loved it). We heard some information that allergies run in families and a lot that it doesn't - we have three kids with peanut allergies, I have an apple/stone fruit allergy, but L had none of those. As far as raw tofu, I read that it could be problematic and you're better of sauteeing it, but L has always eaten it raw.

We gave L hard carrots, cucumber and celery to chew on and to practice maneuvering with to start. And she definitely loved avocados and apple slices early on. She had hummus on veggie pieces too. But mostly, I gave her a bit of what we had (cut into small sections so she could work with them easily) and let her try it, and she had a blast. Be prepared for very interesting diapers though!

And again, my advice would be to just watch BabyPunk and see what works for her. We have one friend who didn't eat regularly until 15 months. She just never liked food, was never interested in it etc. She nursed like crazy and at 15 months started finally to be interested.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A little OT, but lisapunk, I was going crazy nursing every two hours and I had a lactation consultant help me strategize. Might be worth it for you to go to a nursing support group to see if you can do anything to lengthen the time in-between sessions. It was really draining for me (see what I did there?) to nurse that often.

Solids didn't affect nursing for us for a long time. Maybe 11-12 months?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wait are you saying there is such a thing as a 5ish month old baby that doesnt nurse every 2 hours?

id look into this but she's crying cause shes hungry///////again.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't even remember the particulars about it now, something like she had gotten used to taking small amounts here and there instead of filling up? She showed me some ways to (gently) encourage a better feeding and it really worked for us. I never denied babynut when she wanted to nurse, so nothing extreme like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 pm 
Semen Strong

One of the things I have heard is to very mildly distract them from feeding - like take a toy and play with it, or give them snuggles - if they get distracted, they weren't "truly hungry" but maybe bored or looking for snuggles or stimulation. If they don't take the distraction, then you feed them. And as BN says, if you can get them to eat more at one feeding rather than taking little feeds every hour or so, then it may feel less draining.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i find when i try to get her to eat more, like i feel like she only nursed for 5 mins and she MUST want more so i jam a boob back in her mouth, whatever she takes after my "forced" nursing usually comes back up on me.

i can certainly try the distraction technique. ive gotten so used to nursing every 2 hours that often i dont wait for her to fuss. im just like "oh it's been two hours heres a boob"

i guess i can stop doing that and just see what happens!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

on the actual food front i think we have her 6 months pedi appt coming up so ill see what she says about nut sauces and butters.

as far as i know there are actual zero food allergies in my family and none in my husband's family that are so prevalent that ive actually heard about them. (ie no deadly peanut allergies)

unless you count lactose intolerance developed as an adult as a food allergy but i dont count that as im not like gunning to give her dairy (i think ive decided to raise her vegetarian with very minimal dairy/eggs at home but if she gets it outside the house im not gonna whig out)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I do think its important to cut yourself some slack and not feel like there is a magic solution out there or even a single right way to do things. They are all just so different, and there is no one single solution for any baby, so you just keep trying different things until something helps. And even after something works, it can stop working just as easily, sending her back to square 1. And no matter what happens, they all grow out of it, so the constant clusterfeeding does come to an end at some point, sooner than you think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I didn't mean to suggest you are doing anything wrong if it came off that way. I just remember having a lot of stress tied up with nursing and I found the support group helpful for that. If its not bothering you, it's not a problem.

Tofulish is wise. It's so true that there is not one way to do parenting. Our situation is constantly changing. I'm just trying to keep up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
wait are you saying there is such a thing as a 5ish month old baby that doesnt nurse every 2 hours?

id look into this but she's crying cause shes hungry///////again.......

Malka was a "grazer" until around 12 months. Her feedings spaced out to 3 hours, but she would want and take a small-ish bottle around the clock every 2-3 hours. We could not get her to drink more in a feeding and that would have been awesome if we could because we missed a lot of sleep. We could not get her to eat much of anything solid before a year, and even now, it's pretty dicey and she always goes for a pretty small portion. Some kids just have really tiny tummies, so it's entirely possible that she is actually hungry really frequently. Agreed with Butternut, if it doesn't bother you, don't sweat it. If it does bother you, LLL is a really good resource, but also there's a possibility you might have to just deal with it until her digestion matures a bit more.

About food choices, the only things Malka was definitely into early on were cold tofu straight out of the package (I have learned that perhaps it should be steamed first in case of bad asceptic packaging or something, but she was fine, so I am not sweating it), pasta, peas, tomatoes, and black beans. She would not eat avocado. She still refuses bananas. She still refuses sweet potatoes. All those normal first foods did not work out for us at all. Pasta was a BIG hit and it's really easy to eat, so I'd recommend that unless you are avoiding gluten for some reason. We also ignored the allergen thing altogether. We offered a lot of finger-shaped veggies raw or steamed, but she didn't really ingest much of those.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Oh no I know you weren't suggesting I was doing anything wrong!! I have a very dry/sarcastic sense of humor that I don't think always translates on the interwebs.

I was like "wait a minute not all babies do this?!?!" :-O

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

spaghetti was our first huge hit as far as food went. He would pick at a few beans, veggies, and fruits but the first day we offered him spaghetti with a little pasta sauce he ate so much I really thought he was going to make himself sick (but he was fine).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I think you're right, LP, it's kind of nice to stick to 1-ingredient foods to start with. But they can be things that baby will actually eat, or things baby will just suck/chew on. So eating foods could be avocado, sweet potato, banana, roasted root vegetables or fruits; and "playing" foods could be carrot sticks, rice cakes, bell peppers, apple slices, green beans. At some point BP will figure it out and those will start being eating foods too.

I did hear that high-protein foods like beans, tofu, and nut butters are harder to digest and should wait til about 8-9 months. We did wait that long but tiny wu LOVES beans and lentils and will snarf down a huge serving, and pretty much always has. By that point I was pretty relaxed about giving her regular food, not special baby stuff, so she started right in on dahl, homemade refried beans, and curries. As long as it's not too too spicy she will eat it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

interesting about the high protein food. ill have to ask the Dr about that too before i start doling out the tofu chunks

Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next