| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how do you guys clean your fruits/vegs before you give them to your kids.

im embarassed to admit this but im a terrible vegetable washer and i never buy organic despite wanting to support the whole buy organic thing.
i currently give everything a quick rinse and that's about it.
do people use that Veggie Wash stuff?
ive seen it a million times in the grocery store and today was the first time i was acctually looking for it and it was no where to be found.

right now we have only one income so it's hard for me to buy all organic because the prices are so different but here is what i got for BP to play around with:

organic apple
avocado
banana
broccoli
sweet potato

the broccoli was $2 price difference between regular and organic so i bought regular. i know potatoes you are supposed to buy organic and i was going to but i couldnt find an organic sweet potato.

sometimes in regards to the organic stuff i feel like a curmudgeonly old man shaking his cane "i grew up on the regular stuff and it didnt kill me! i dont need yer fancy organic potatoes!"

but seriously i understand the whole reasoning behind it i just wish it was cheaper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It doesn't have (much) to do with feeding stuff to kids but I have a friend recently who was posting on fb about how doing a rinse with vinegar water kills mold spores and makes fresh fruit and veg last much longer. so I keep meaning to be vigilant about doing that...and keep not bothering. ;)

Mostly I rinse stuff under water and try to buy organic. We're all still alive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

You don't need expensive veggie wash! I have a spray bottle of vinegar by the sink, and I spray the veggies/fruits and then scrub with a little brush. I remember reading a study a while back that showed that the vinegar plus manual scrubbing was the easiest way to get rid of the majority of bacteria. With greens I put them in a big bowl with water and vinegar and swish them around to clean, then rinse and repeat. I try to process them right after grocery shopping and keep them in my salad spinner in the fridge so they stay fresher.

With another baby on the way we are on a budget too. I don't buy the dirty dozen unless they're organic, which usually means we don't buy it at all unless they're in season and cheap. My general rule is that things with rinds or peels probably don't need to be organic, so I don't worry so much about things like bananas, mangoes, oranges, avocados (I mean, $2.79 for an organic avocado?!), etc. Sweet potatoes are actually in the "clean 15" so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh really sweet potatoes are different?
cool.

that's a good tip about the vinegar i will do that!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I just rinse with water and scrub if there is visible dirt. I don't buy organic most of the time, but also organics are not going to get you out of washing! - they're as likely or more likely to be harboring bacteria from manure, after all (since organics are more likely to be fertilized with feces whereas conventional stuff is more likely to be fertilized with chemical fertilizers). Wash your non-organic veggies well, wash your organic veggies REALLY well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just rinse with regular water. I don't really buy organic except the dirty dozen sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk had her first BLW experience tonight.
i was going to wait til this weekend when she actually turns 6 months but i was making the coconut butternut rice and 40 clove broccoli from AFR tonight so i lightly steamed a hunk of the squash and a stalk of broccoli and gave her one of each.

pretty much for 10-15 mins she smooshed the broccoli around and ignored the squash. nothing ever went close to her mouth. then she discovered the squash and poked at that a bit. i didnt think she was going to actually put anything in her mouth tonight then she took the squash in both hands and crammed it into her mouth like a burger.

it was pretty funny. she chawed on that for awhile then later was making semi-gag noises like she decided she didnt like it.
she never tried the broccoli.

it was fun!

sooo messy though. the dogs are psyched!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Here is the EWG's list of the cleans and dirties!
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so BLW is going pretty good so far i think. im really glad i read the book before starting otherwise i think i would be overly impatient.
almost nothing ends up actually in her mouth which is pretty funny considering literally everything else she grabs she puts in her mouth.

the weirdest thing is she will only put firm things in her mouth but soft things do not go near her mouth. they are purely for squishing (FUN!)

celery and cucumber seem to be the only thing i think she has actually gotten in her mouth to suck on. apple very briefly.
the only semi soft thing she put in her mouth once was a chunk of butternut squash the first day we tried BLW and that she mouthed for quite awhile.
the past few days most things havent actually gone into her mouth. she just messes with them.
the soft things ive given her that she's only just squished is (steamed) broccoli, sweet potato (holy mess!), banana, avocado, mango.
squishing is so much fun!!

so like i said im glad i read the book so i already know that all this non-mouthing is part of the process.
i cant help but say "good job" everytime she puts something in her mouth even though the book says you dont have to do that. ive refrained from trying to put things in her mouth at least ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

just wondering if this is a pretty normal experience:
we gave Charlotte a chunk of roasted butternut squash and she was mouthing it and i think some broke off and she was "chewing" it or something. i think she spit a lot of it out. then she started gagging which i know is normal and then after a bit of gagging she projectile spewed the entire contents of her stomach everywhere. her previous two nursing sessions had been pretty long so she just kept spewing milk.
once she was done she was totally fine and strangely happy about the whole thing.

is this something to just say "it happens" about?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I totally didn't know this thread was here... we've been BLWing since 6 months old with Elijah. And he is JUST starting to actually demand meals and food and swallowing. I'm a happy mama. He knows when he's hungry and when full. I love this! I had SOOO much trouble with Samuel eating puree jars til over 2yrs old. He still have major food aversions and texture issues. Elijah will eat ANYTHING! What are you favorite vegan BLW blogs/sites for recipes and such?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

How old is Elijah?
I'm wondering when this will turn into actual eating (we just started so I know it will be awhile)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

12months 1wk old.. He was a snacker til 11.5 months or so.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk is apparently on an all celery diet. it is the only food item that she will put in her mouth which is pretty comical since everything else in the world goes directly into her mouth.

actually i guess it's anything that is solid and green like celery, cucumber, and green bean she will gnaw on but celery is definitely the most preferred. anything else i try to give her is always good for visual inspection and smushing around but nope not gonna put it in the mouth.

last night she spent all of dinner gnawing the crepe out of one piece of celery and ignored the sweet potato i had smushed up for her and the spear of roasted squash. she didnt even want to smush the smushy stuff until after she had dropped her celery

strange lil baby.

my guess is it has something to do with teething since somewhere on here someone said celery has something in it that makes their gum feel better?

she is a celery addict.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Giles like celery too at that age. I smeared a little hummus on it that he enjoyed licking off too...I posted a pic of him on facebook gnawing celery and it led to comments of child cruelty (joking comments - because he was too young to know that celery is disgusting)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Babynut liked roasted sweet potato strips (baked fries). At that stage she only would eat stuff long enough to hold in her hand and chew. Maybe try more sticks of things? She also liked baked tofu strips.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Alice had some celery yesterday and basically just gnawed away on it. That was the first food I have given her but today she basically shoved my bowl that had peanut curry sauce in it in her mouth and I'm pretty sure she got a little. Probably not the best second food. Ha. We didn't do blw with Ada so I'm excited to see if Alice becomes more interested in foods earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i tried googling what it was in celery that made it good for teething (other than just something to chew on) and i got like 100 pages of "ERMAGHERD DONT FEED YER BABY CELERY YOU HORRIBLE PERSON THEY WILL CHOKE AND DIE!!!!"
but after filtering through all that crepe i think some people suggest it has numbing properties.

i usually dont even have celery in the house as i find it to be super bland but i had bought it for some recipe.

i tried sweet potato with her and it wasnt much of a success but i dont think i had it in the right stick shape and i thik it was cooked too much so she just smushed it.

i tried dipping her celery stick into a pile of mashed sweet potato and she just looked at us like "really? you put orange stuff on my celery NOT COOL!"
hummus might work though! i should try that next time i make hummus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sashi wrote:
Alice had some celery yesterday and basically just gnawed away on it. That was the first food I have given her but today she basically shoved my bowl that had peanut curry sauce in it in her mouth and I'm pretty sure she got a little. Probably not the best second food. Ha. We didn't do blw with Ada so I'm excited to see if Alice becomes more interested in foods earlier.

i was asking my dr about the whole allergen thing and she said that the current thinking (she said it changes constantly) is all the "dont feed your baby allergens for X amount of time and it will cut down on their potential to be allergic to it" really didnt pan out.
she said having them exposed to trace amounts of allergens (peanuts being the big one) probably is a good thing.
unless you have serious peanut allergies in your family then maybe the suggestion is different.
i had asked her basically about cashew based sauces and she said maybe to hold off til 9-10 months but if they are exposed to it sooner it probably isnt a big deal.

or maybe you were more thinking of the spice rather than the peanuts? maybe Alice will like the spicy foods!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:27 pm 

I was just thinking the combination of everything (peanut butter, curry, garlic, ginger, and so on) could be a little much on the tummy if she has never had any food at all yet besides celery. But maybe not. Curry powder mixed in with sweet potato or squash purée was one of the foods Ada actually would eat when we started solids with her.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah prolly not the second food you would have chosen to give her but i guess you just chock it up to "shiitake happens" ;-)

BP continues her obsession with celery. tonight she dropped her piece and immediately started crying and freaking out.

i think she needs a celery 12 step program.

later though i had taken the tray off her high chair to clean it but she was still strapped in and had her celery and she was waving it in the beagle's face and when he yoinked it out of her hand and ate it she seemed unphased.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 pm 

We did baked sweet potato fries today and Alice actually ate a bunch! She destroyed three fries and kept picking up pieces that were already all mushed to suck on. Now I'm excited to try other things! She is just meh about the celery now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

does she actually eat anything or is she just mushing it?
BP held onto a sweet potato fry for awhile. i think it made it in her mouth once.

she really only will put green foods in her mouth. hahaha

she has a wicked bad gag reflex. anything soft that goes in her mouth, including like tylenol or vit D, she gags on. it's so frustrating. she pukes everything back up.
im hoping she will outgrow it. i know i read the gag refle is different places on their tongue and it moves back as they age so i hope maybe she's just not fully ready for stuff yet.

anything else i read about kids with hyper sensitve gag reflexes seem somehow tied to reflux which i dont think she has

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made Spaghetti-O's today for lunch and Eli gobbled it up :) We're on a roll now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:13 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
does she actually eat anything or is she just mushing it?

She seems to actually be eating some. No gagging yet which surprises me because Ada definitely gagged a bunch when she started purees. I gave her avocado at lunch and at first she was all what the fork is this and then she got into it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next