| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Babies get covered in it no matter how you feed them. I have the pictures to prove it! One spit out and a hand swiped across the face = messy baby.
Leela is adorable :)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also...who cares if babies get food on them when they eat?! Surely she has ickier things on her throughout the day.

She is so cute, tofulish! I don't know the last time I enjoyed a meal as much as her!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh ya, have him watch a kiddo (like the one I sit for) who would blow puree of a spoon then rub it all over the high chair/himself, not to mention what ended up on the floor.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

It's official, she is completely and totally edible. I love it!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

True! She is now fully marinated in curry

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Dude, all babies coat themselves in food, it is their job. That's what the bath is for.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Can we rename this thread "Watch Leela learn to eat!" So cute!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ah yes what's wrong with me?? Leela has the most amazingly sparkly eyes I've ever seen.and the hair!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The other day we were at a park and Grey was eating and got food all over himself. Another couple who was with us asked if we brought the shower, their daughter hasn't started eating yet, she is five months. I said we would bathe him when we got home and I thought, you have no idea what you are in for!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I think this thread needs more pictures of babies covered in food! Poopiebaby covered in a tarp soaked in marinara clutching a muffin is one of my favorite pictures ever.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

sort of blurry but here is wolverine eating avacado. The food sock was a fail (had blueberries in it) for anything other than an instrument to hit on the high chair.
gotee by atankcalledokay, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, tank! Wolverine has the best baby rolls!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 am 
Semen Strong

Tank, that is epic. I love Wolverine's face!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just finished "baby-lead weaning" and it's making me feel stressed and panicky. I told my husband and he said, isn't BLW supposed to make you feel the opposite? True, plus we have at least two months before we'll even start. I don't know why I'm feeling overwhelmed already....

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

I think it's normal to feel a little freaked out about it. It's so different than what the baby food companies have led us to believe is normal. What sold me on it was my daughter ripping the spoon out my hand and feeding herself. It's one of those things that you research and analyze and then one day it just organically happens and you wonder why you ever stressed

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:05 pm 
Semen Strong

+1 yummy to what GP said.

And I didn't feel comfortable doing BLW until we read the book: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weaning- ... 100&sr=1-1 That really put my mind at ease and helped with guidelines. And once we started it was so easy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:

And I didn't feel comfortable doing BLW until we read the book: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weaning- ... 100&sr=1-1 That really put my mind at ease and helped with guidelines. And once we started it was so easy

That's what I just read. I think part of it is denial that my baby's almost ready for food! At this point, nursing is pretty mindless and I love it. I know I just need to stop worrying and let come what may!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Once you actually start it falls into place. I was so worried the first time she gagged, but she expertly moved it out and kept eating.

Plus its cute!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has been doing BLW for a few months and still isn't terribly expert. She doesn't gag anymore, but she also eats very little. She will not allow us to spoon feed her anything (we've tried with dals, hummus, etc.). I think a major part of my anxiety about BLW is getting her enough calories. We'll find out in a couple weeks if she's gaining well enough, but I have to trust that babies don't starve themselves and if she wanted more to eat, she'd take it or drink more.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ariann wrote:
Malka has been doing BLW for a few months and still isn't terribly expert. She doesn't gag anymore, but she also eats very little. She will not allow us to spoon feed her anything (we've tried with dals, hummus, etc.). I think a major part of my anxiety about BLW is getting her enough calories. We'll find out in a couple weeks if she's gaining well enough, but I have to trust that babies don't starve themselves and if she wanted more to eat, she'd take it or drink more.

I think this is what worries me. The book keeps saying that milk is sufficient, so you're right... we just have to trust the baby.
And Leela makes it look so easy! How much would you say she's actually eating now? And have her nursing needs changed much?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

kdub wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

That's what I just read. I think part of it is denial that my baby's almost ready for food! At this point, nursing is pretty mindless and I love it. I know I just need to stop worrying and let come what may!

Nursing will still be the biggest part of your lives for a long time. Guinepiglet doesn't eAt everyday, only has solid foods once a day when she does and barely swallows any of it. My pediatrician said it's normal for breastfed babies to do little more than taste until about 10 months since nothing taste as good as breast milk.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Same here! Leela nurses just as much as before. Its more like the food is playtime rather than time to eat.

A sample day goes like this. We wake up and have breakfast - she gets fruit - cut up blueberries today other days a big hunk of melon or slices of pear, apple, banana along with whatever quinoa or oatmeal I am having. Then we walk the dog and she gets tired and nurses and goes down for her first nap. When she wakes up, we have lunch - normally just a tiny bit of what I am eating (and we supplement with lots of cut up cucumbers, celery and carrots). Then we play for a bit and then she goes down for nap number 2. Once she is up, we play a bit more, we eat dinner (same as lunch) and then I nurse her to sleep. And of course we nurse on (her) demand.

And as GP says, they don't eat a ton until they are about 10 months old - its more about practice chewing, moving things around, discovering textures, developing fine motor skills etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey is starting to nurse a little less and eat more. We do a combo of BLW and spoon feeding. I feel like the days that I just let him feed himself he is at the boob constantly and I have always had trouble making enough milk, so I spoon feed him some too.

It's really interesting to see the difference between him and some of his friends. He has one friend who h been spoon fed since they started feeding him and he doesn't really get how to feed himself, he and Grey are the same age. Grey is really good with feeding himself.

Also, have you guys tried dried mango? It takes them like 20 minutes and they are so excited to eat it! It is super messy though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I feel tempted to post every time Malka successfully eats, but I will (try to) refrain!

Yesterday she ate several slices of strawberry, a piece of spicy vegan sausage, and a few bites of toast at lunch and then several pieces of mushroom and sweet potato baked in tons of balsamic vinegar (fancy pants restaurant), a piece of roasted cauliflower, and a piece of pizza crust. I almost didn't give her the mushrooms because I don't like mushrooms myself, but then I realized "duh, she doesn't know mushrooms are gross!" AND THEN SHE LOVED THEM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

Meanwhile I was super stoked guineapiglet ate a few bites of a yellow carrot and parsnip, we clearly have a long way to go!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next