| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Genius Parenting Moments
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We parents are great at beating ourselves up over our failures, big and small. Here is a space to share successes! Stuff you did that was great! Things that make you feel like you're doing a good job! Share your genius moments so we can learn from each other.

I'll go first: We've started listening to audiobooks in the car. Lately it's been The Grinch and various Pete the Cat stories. It keeps Walter content during longer car rides, and I greatly prefer books to the same Sesame Street album over and over again. A win for everybody!

Another: when we have to wait in restaurants, our favorite thing to do lately is draw robots. I keep a notebook and pens in my bag, and we just draw all kinds of crazy robots (good for practicing shapes!) and give them silly names. We can kill a good 10 minutes with this.

Your turn! What has gone really well for you lately?

*I got this idea from the One Bad Mother podcast, which I recommend heartily.

Post subject: Re: Your Genius Parenting Moments
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:28 am 
WELFARIST!

I clicked on this purely because I was hoping it was a One Bad Mother reference! I don't have kids, but I listen to that podcast with great interest for some reason. I guess that reason is because it is really forking good.

Drawing robots is such a great idea! If your kids aren't squeamish about such things, I heartily recommend drawing monsters and various animals as well. My time teaching art to kids has taught me that they never tire of robots, monsters, or animals as art subjects.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I left the house for the first time today with both kids by myself. E is wild and really unpredictable around other kids lately so I was really worried how bringing them both to an open play gym thing would go. A slept in the ergo the whole time and E played very well for the most part. The times he was pushy with other kids I was able to tend to him as much as he needed me to even 4 weeks pp with a baby strapped in front of me. I am still not sure how I did it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My goal has been no screen time until 2, but starting around 20 months I found a video that ended my struggles with toothbrushing. Two minutes a day of screen time is totally worth it.

http://youtu.be/wxMrtK-kYnE

Now, instead of crying and freaking out, my toddler sits patiently while I thoroughly brush her teeth. Then we watch the elmo video. Done. She even asks to brush now.

I actually like the video...only problem is that it gets stuck in my head and I'm singing elmo all day at work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela happily drinks any smoothie that we call Dinosaur Juice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Love this topic!

mittenmacher wrote:
I'll go first: We've started listening to audiobooks in the car. Lately it's been The Grinch and various Pete the Cat stories. It keeps Walter content during longer car rides, and I greatly prefer books to the same Sesame Street album over and over again. A win for everybody!

We recently discovered this, too! It's fantastic, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:50 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sometimes Vi puts up a fight about using the potty, but it's been a while and she obviously needs to go. What I've found works is to grab one of her stuffed animals, have it sit on the pot including "sssssssss" noise, then over the top praise the stuffed animal, give it a high five, and ask whose turn it thinks is next (somehow, it's always Violet's turn afterwards!)

Then she comes running over to sit on the john like she's won the lottery.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

annak wrote:
Sometimes Vi puts up a fight about using the potty, but it's been a while and she obviously needs to go. What I've found works is to grab one of her stuffed animals, have it sit on the pot including "sssssssss" noise, then over the top praise the stuffed animal, give it a high five, and ask whose turn it thinks is next (somehow, it's always Violet's turn afterwards!)

Then she comes running over to sit on the john like she's won the lottery.

Genius. I'm going to try this tomorrow with our Spiderman.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Singing the theme song to Thomas and Friends improves any transition (especially diaper changes!). LittleEnchilada likes to sing the last word in every line - it is so cute!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:14 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Singing does make everything better. I made up a little song for diaper changes and we can do them without screaming now. Looking forward to trying the stuffed animal potty training trick once we are up to that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Toothbrushing used to be like trying to shove a hot poker in Henry's mouth, and one day I had him think about what he'd eaten that day and say "Okay, let me brush that guacamole off your teeth!" and we'd take a break between things we were brushing off of his teeth. That has somehow evolved into him saying animals that are on his teeth (I'm pretty sure he thought that part up on his own) and it's been working for like 2 weeks, which is the longest streak of tear/scream-free brushing we've ever had!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh I love that bap! We are having serious brushing issues lately and will try anything.