| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have made a terrible (wonderful) mistake.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The boy is old enough that he's actually playing with wooden trains now. Before he'd just kinda throw bits around, or I'd set up a track and he'd take it apart. Now he PLAYS, which is AWESOME. Here he is, with a tunnel I made for him and a dinosaur:

We have a little train set that makes a little track circle, and I had been kinda thinking that maybe we could get another set so he could have bigger tracks, and then, uh, the mistake. I searched eBay for "wooden train lot."

So yeah. We're gonna have some bigger tracks. (And probably some conversations about picking up your toys when you're done playing with them. I'll have to dole out the new track bits a few at a time as rewards for good behavior or something.)

Post subject: Re: I have made a terrible (wonderful) mistake.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You're an awesome dad! The Emperor looks completely absorbed! (I would be too, if I had a sweet train track with a dinosaur guarding the tunnel!) It's so exciting when kids move to a next level in their playing. LittleBodhi also loves trains, but we've never thought of making a tunnel for him. We're totally using that idea!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, tunnels! He's all about the tunnels these days. I made some out of giant legos for him, too, but those he seems to get sort of interested in and then tear apart, so I dunno.

I also made the Space Tunnel, the middle part of a 1.5-liter fizzy water bottle with a flat piece sort of crimped into place so you can run track through it and it'll sit flat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!

I thought we'd never make it past trains. Trains were GG's life for years. Everything about trains. All. Day. Long.

Playing with them. Singing about them. Talking (and talking!) about them. Demanding to listen to train songs in the car. Taking train rides. Going on vacations where we'd be able to go on trains.

It was cute as hell, but oh my god.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If you guys ever come up to visit me there is train at the mall y can ride!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

littlebear wrote:

Oh man! Where's that?

We've made a "trains you can ride" tour of the Bay Area-- we've hit the little train in Los Gatos, and the sort of dorky dragon-shaped train-like thing at Happy Hollow, and the little train over on I-80 at, uh, the Nut Tree Plaza or whatever it is. Where's yours? (We also do carousels, which seem to show up at the exact same places.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

FootFace wrote:
GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!

I thought we'd never make it past trains. Trains were GG's life for years. Everything about trains. All. Day. Long.

Playing with them. Singing about them. Talking (and talking!) about them. Demanding to listen to train songs in the car. Taking train rides. Going on vacations where we'd be able to go on trains.

It was cute as hell, but oh my god.

I have a friend who is turning 60 this month. She never grew out of this phase. Trains are her favorite.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:02 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have to admit that I like having a 2-year-old around because it means I can be all excited about trains and fire trucks without feeling like I ought to be embarrassed. I can just point them out to him...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

solipsistnation wrote:
I have to admit that I like having a 2-year-old around because it means I can be all excited about trains and fire trucks without feeling like I ought to be embarrassed. I can just point them out to him...

I think this is the best part of having kids. It is now socially acceptable to act like a kid!

What can I say, I'm an old school candy raver. The rainbow-ness of Kai's toys in our living room suits me just fine.

Last week we put away his infant swing and laid down a play rug w/ roads, mountains, buildings etc on it in instead. I can't wait until he is old enough to do more pretend play with me then throwing all his cars and trains off of the rug!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

solipsistnation wrote:
littlebear wrote:

Oh man! Where's that?

We've made a "trains you can ride" tour of the Bay Area-- we've hit the little train in Los Gatos, and the sort of dorky dragon-shaped train-like thing at Happy Hollow, and the little train over on I-80 at, uh, the Nut Tree Plaza or whatever it is. Where's yours? (We also do carousels, which seem to show up at the exact same places.)

North gate mall in San Rafael. There is also a store in San Anselmo that teaches you to build robots from Legos (or something like that) once he is into Legos! We used to have a place that was a bunch of jump houses, but it closed. Nate was really looking forward to going there with grey. I mostly can't with until I get to take stuffed animals out in public.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Jump houses like bounce houses? Or trampolines? There's a giant old warehouse in the Presidio full of trampolines and other bouncy surfaces called House of Air. I think it's ages 7+ but they have play classes for kids 3-6.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I can't wait for trains! and legos!

I go over my friends house and their 8 year old is super into legos and I get to live a bit vicariously through them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm 
Grandfathered In

Look, I know this isn't my thread, but y'all really do need to watch this old GG train-song movie (from when he was 3.5?):

http://www.pickledlightning.com/movies/trainsong.mov

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we got so much mileage out of trains. we left them when we moved (gave them to the YMCA) but damn if we didn't get every penny's worth of them (and of my old wood blocks from when i was a kid, which were always played with together with the train set).
the legos, we brought, and they are still getting a lot of play. in fact, at age 12 my kid does a robotics class with legos. they just keep on giving.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:
Look, I know this isn't my thread, but y'all really do need to watch this old GG train-song movie (from when he was 3.5?):

Oh man. Great song, and the guitar solo is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This thread inspired me to look up local train rides. They have easter bunny trains in New Hope and Flemington, and today I convinced my mom to do that and go out to eat at Spring and Vine on Easter instead of staying home and having ham with my brother. Yes!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aubade wrote:
This thread inspired me to look up local train rides. They have easter bunny trains in New Hope and Flemington, and today I convinced my mom to do that and go out to eat at Spring and Vine on Easter instead of staying home and having ham with my brother. Yes!!!

I used to ride that New Hope train with my grandfather when I was little. He was a model train enthusiast, and so it was a really sweet thing to do with him. Thanks for the nostalgia!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

I kind of want to build model electric trains but figure that would prevent me from having sex ever again. I envy the excuse you have to play with trains.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+
------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

FootFace wrote:

This video made me so happy my face nearly broke from smiling so hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

dandirtyapes wrote:
I kind of want to build model electric trains but figure that would prevent me from quietly playing chess ever again. I envy the excuse you have to play with trains.

Toys are like 90% of why I wanted to have kids in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:03 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Kids are a painful reminder to me that the only toys I ever really liked were books!

But having someone to read to/with and give books to was among my reasons to procreate.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

coldandsleepy wrote:
Kids are a painful reminder to me that the only toys I ever really liked were books!

But having someone to read to/with and give books to was among my reasons to procreate.

This is pretty much the reason I want a kid. The biggest fight I've ever had with my husband was about whether we would read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to our imaginary kids or not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mollyjade wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

This is pretty much the reason I want a kid. The biggest fight I've ever had with my husband was about whether we would read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to our imaginary kids or not.

Of course you're going to read it to them. Also the Just So Stories. You have to.

Those wooden train tracks the Emporer is playing with trigger some sort of memory in me. I don't think we had them in my house (or if we did we lost them or gave them away when I was very young) but they must have had them at nursery or a relative's house or something. They were great- easy for little hands to set up and fine with being stepped on or thrown around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, he's not QUITE up to setting up tracks himself, but I am trying to get him to do it more. Right now he says "Daddy build me a track!" and I do because I like to build tracks and see him play with them, but if they fall apart a little (which happens a lot because they're on carpet and he hasn't quite figured out not to sit on the tracks yet) I tell him he can put them together. Usually he does. Sometimes he doesn't.

So the new box of track showed up yesterday while I was watching him and the baby so C&S could go to her evening class. He was THRILLED, especially since usually when we get big interesting boxes in the mail they're mine and I don't let him touch them (model kits; big metal things; tools; paint; you know). I got to open it up and pull out one piece of track at a time until he finally said "DADDY DUMP IT OUT!" and I did. 8) It was great!

I suspect I'm going to spend much of this evening building tracks... I also may have kind of misjudged things, since we have 2 more boxes of eBay train bits coming and it's going to be a LOT of track... I tend to find interesting things and make lowball bids, and one of those actually worked out this time so we ended up with more track coming than I'd planned. So I'm going to go through the total pile once it's all here and take out any pieces that are too beat-up and give them to Goodwill or something. And one of these lots included a bunch of trains and trucks and stuff, so I'm going to be pretty pick about which of those we keep too.

I think I'm going to paint some of the trains and things for him, though, since I have all this model paint and stuff... I don't know if he'll think that's cool or not but it'll be nice I think... 8)