| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toys for first birthday
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Admittedly, I have done little research on this. I hate going to baby stores and as a working mom I don't get around to see what other babies have/like.

So my babynut is turning one in just a couple of weeks (I can't believe it). She is walking, but that is new for her and she is still a little unsteady. What toys did your little ones love at this age/stage? The grandparents are asking and I don't know what to recommend. She is happy just hanging out with us and toddling around, but I know the fam wants to get her something.

Post subject: Re: Toys for first birthday
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor wasn't much of toy kid yet at that age. Most of the stuff he actually played with were non-toy items he just took a shine to. (He used to love the silicone pastry brush, for example.) (Actually, he still loves that thing.)

His grandparents gave him a set of large soft blocks for that birthday which were a huge hit-- and which he still plays with 2 years later. He got a red wagon from the same grandparents for Christmas the same year (few months after his birthday) and it's also been a really enduring gift. He loves it more the older he gets.

Oh, and the damn baby cellphone. There are a million variants out there, but this one seems to be popular with people we know: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Bril ... 000LSZVLO/

Actually someone gave E that very one for his third birthday and not only is he STILL excited by the thing, but his 10 month old brother thinks it's the very bestest toy ever too. For a toy that makes noise, I find it minimally irritating.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Elliot really likes Duplo blocks right now. I really like them too

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Good idea Tank! I think they're another toy that keeps being fun for a long time/they learn to play with in different ways. M isn't sophisticated enough to build with them yet, but he will happily spend 20-30 minutes taking them out of the bag and putting them back in over and over. I think his brother liked that aspect of them at 1 year too.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh yes, Ada is also really into duplo blocks right now at 18 months.

Lets see, once she got the hang of walking she really started liking the toys that you can pull around by a string and "walk". She has a couple of the plan toy wooden animals and a fisher price plastic dog (all gifts from grandparents).

She also has a couple of hand me down shape sorters that she started using a lot shortly after her birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I love Duplo! I have so much of it, it replaces television for me. I build great structures and L dismantles them- team work! Leela only really likes toys at other people's homes but she pretend talks on her cellphone and it is hilarious.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We got Inez a push cart/walker type thing for her first birthday. It had activities built into the front (shape sorter, xylophone, beads on a wire, etc.) and was a moderate hit. She still uses it at 22 months, mostly as a stroller for stuffed animals and dolls.

She got a Melissa & Doug pound and roll tower for either Christmas or her birthday (3 weeks apart) and that has been a big favorite ever since. I guess you'd have to feel comfortable giving your kid a wooden mallet, though. She was pretty coordinated and never smashed a finger or anything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well I don't even know what duplo blocks are so these suggestions are helpful, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Duplo blocks are giant Legos.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]