| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: please teach me how to give oral meds to a baby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i should be an expert on this by now since BabyPunk has had to take meds 2x a day since three weeks old because of her heart but lately it's been a horror show.
now that she's a little older she realizes how bad it tastes and the meds for her heart she does ok with. she gags on them but swallows them.

i cant give her vit D anymore. it's more syrupy than the heart med and she gags on them and then ends up puking up the entire contents of her stomach.
it's horrible. she's gagging and coughing and turning red and i can hear everything inside her doing flip flops. :-(

it became a real problem yesterday when she had her vax. i tried preemptively giving her tylenol and she ended up puking up so much i had to delay the rotavirus vax til next week because i couldnt guarantee she wouldnt also puke that back up.

then she ended up with a low grade fever from the vax last night and again i could barely get any tylenol into her because she gags on it and pukes.
so she has a fever feels like crepe and is crying then i gag her and make her puke :-( its AWFUL

i try goign really slow with just a tiny bit at a time. my husband thought i needed to get it further back into the side of her mouth but even he had a problem with the tylenol this morning.

any tips?
is this a phase?

as far as i can tell she just let's the liquid sit in her mouth until she chokes on it and doesnt swallow because it tastes gross and now she does it with all meds

she just turned 4 months old

Post subject: Re: please teach me how to give oral meds to a baby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

:( Sorry you are having such a tough time with it! We had some success with squirting the medicine in the back corner of the mouth and then immediately popping a bottle of breastmilk in his mouth. When he was really little we had a "medicine bottle" which was a fast flow nipple on a tiny medicine cup. Once he started to suck on it the medicine came pretty quickly and he would drink it all down...but I guess that wouldn't work if the medicine is really gross.
We also tried mixing the medicine in some breast milk and that was a complete fail because, of course then he had lots of yucky milk that he didn't want to drink!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I second the advice to pop a bottle in her mouth quickly if you can. If not, and you think the problem is her cheeking the medicine, then you can hold her nose closed. She will have to swallow to breathe. I know that sounds awful, but I had to do that with my older kiddo for the longest time. Getting her to drink something yummy really is preferable though.

Also, they make tylenol suppositories. You will probably need to special order them and may even need a prescription, but for a kiddo who won't take meds orally, it's an option. I wonder if you can get the other meds made that way too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wish I knew. My oldest puked up everything I gave her until she was well over 1 year old. Nurses were able to give her oral meds though, so there clearly was a way to do it, but I was never able to figure it out. I resorted to tylenol suppositories when she had high fevers. I haven't tried recently, but 2 years ago, I was able to get generic acetaminophen suppositories in a drugstore without a prescription.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Oh, regarding vit D, I really really like the Vitamin D drops with 400 IU per drop. Even my super pukey oldest couldn't puke from being given just one drop. Not vegan though, unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Ddrops%C2%AE ... in+d+drops

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I don't know if it's OK for babies, but there's vitashine spray. It tastes vaguely like coconut (it's coconut oil-based). It's vegan d3. One spray is 200 IU.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, this is pretty tough.

With our younger kid, I finally just kind of held him laying down on my lap with his head flopped back. I'd load up the oral syringe first and have it close to hand. He'd figure out what was going on and get pissed off and start howling, so I'd wait until his mouth was wide open from shrieking and then zip in and squirt it right down the back of his throat in a single giant blast of Tylenol or antibiotics or whatever. I'd try to get it on the side so I wouldn't hit his gag reflex, and I'd get as far back down in there with the syringe as possible. This wasn't easy, of course, and he hated it, and I hated doing it, but it worked. He doesn't seem to have held a grudge either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas was really sick for months with rsv as an infant, so we had to do a ton of medicine administering. His pediatrician taught us to sit down, lay his head against our knee, put the syringe pretty far back and immediately blow in his face to get him to swallow. It really worked and isn't as cruel as it sounds! He would quick swallow and look around like what the fizzle? And somehow forgot to gag and scream. We'd do a little at a time (a quarter of the syringe maybe?), making sure it wasn't too much at once.

I know how stressful this is and I hope it gets easier for you guys!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

F was pretty good with swallowing the first couple of times she had anything (ibuprofen) when she was small, but when I worked in childcare, we often did something similar to what sn described, aiming for getting it way back in the throat. The babies would be mad as hell, but if you were prepared and got your technique down, the whole thing took like 5 or 6 seconds, so it wasn't too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone for the tips. i dont think the bottle idea will work for us though i will keep it in the back of my mind in case.
she already doesnt like to use a bottle to begin with so im not sure it would work.
although i have been wondering if i should try a faster flow nipple so i can get her to take an occasional bottle.

im going to look for the tylenol suppositories. that will probably be the way to go for us in the future for that at least.
for her heart meds ill try the blowing in her face thing. maybe it will work for the vit d as well. im thinking i should just up my own supplements so some of that will filter down to her as well.
ive been trying to get hte syringe farther back into her mouth but i end up gagging her with the syringe. it seems to be a delicate balance.
i did ok with her heart meds tonight. we havent had to try the tylenol again yet.

the dr was telling me yesterday (unrelated to this meds issue) that they do not have continuous memory yet at this age. she was saying they dont remember getting shots and they arent scared of the dr yet. and that happens more at 6 months. however im not sure i 100% believe that as when she sees the syringe for her heart meds coming she turns her head the other way :-(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah I don't know if I believe that memory stuff either. If it makes you feel better, it was really hard to get meds in Malka early on and now it is a breeze and she especially likes taking her vitamins. The things that worked best for us were a) trying out different flavors - pharmacists can usually add flavoring to kids' liquid drugs and b) at the very least getting dye free OTC meds because at least things wouldn't be stained if she spit it up and she seemed to like their flavor better, even if it was the same flavor as the dyed stuff and c) getting the syringe behind the teeth/gums at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 pm 

For the vitamin d, you can get those drops and either put the drop on your nipple before nursing or (later when she's older) into her food/drink. We did the nipple technique and that was easy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i tried putting the vit D on the nipple technique when we first brought her home because i started supplementing pretty soon after birth but i dunno. i must have a brand that is not very concentrated because it would take forever to get all of it in her by doing that.
is that vit D in the link just like a small drop?
the one i have you have to fill the whole syringe to get the 1 ml for the 400IU

i never thought to ask at the pharmacy about flavoring the heart meds as i assumed we couldnt cause....well i dont know why i assumed but i did.

to be honest im not sure flavor is the issue even though she clearly hates the taste of the heart meds.
the tylenol we have is supposedly cherry flavor and the vit D smells kinda like honey so i assume it is sweet.

im hoping when we go back to the cardio at the end of this month we can stop the meds or lessen the dosage.
ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 pm 
Chip Strong

Like butternut, we did the D drops on the nipple. Ada never seemed to notice a difference. I just bought some for Alice but keep forgetting to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LisaPunk wrote:
tylenol suppositories.

Whoa, somehow I missed that earlier. I can't see that going well either, but at least it would be slightly harder to spit out. I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm 
Chip Strong

The vitamin D we use is just one drop. I think the brand is Carson's? The link isn't working on my phone for some reason right now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 pm 

Yes, just one drop. We bought it at whole foods.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ok I'm going to switch vit d cause the one I do I have to do in several drops. Even if she doesn't gag on it half of it dribbles out

One problem solved!!!

And yeah I don't think the suppositories will be much fun either but I've had good success taking her temp rectally. Maybe because she's so young she doesn't put up to much of a fight yet over that

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 am 

Let's just say that suppositories can come right back out too. (Freya had some severe constipation issues one time). Like little rockets, those buggers.

I think someone mentioned Vitashine, but just to say that we also do a spray and find it super easy. We started it when F was pretty small, maybe 5 months?

On the memory issue, maybe the doc would be correct for kids just getting their vaccinations. I don't believe that a 4 month old can remember something from like 8 weeks earlier. She gets her heart meds every day though, yeah? Babies can definitely remember from day to day, despite what some research says. They know that running water might mean a bath or a knock might mean someone at the door, etc.