| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lead poisoning
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

just to make you feel a bit better, i had lead poisoning when i was small...i had a deposit of it in my wrist that was visible with an x-ray!!!!!! :( ! and i am a fine, fully functioning adult with a really high iq, so, by all means test and treat, but don't feel like it's totally the end of the world <3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, it was a huge investment for us. We were buying jugs of water at the grocery store for a month or so and finally broke down. I hope everything works out however which way, that would be so concerning!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

This is reminding me that I need to take our baby for the test. When Ginger had hers a few years ago she wasn't happy obviously (this was at a lab type place and not the pediatrician's so she didn't have any particular associations), but I had her face-in in the bjorn and nursed her the whole time, and she kind of resigned herself to it pretty quickly. It is stressful though!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... k-gasoline

Someone posted this on facebook. I thought it was a fascinating article, though I'm not sold completely on the conclusions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ditto.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sven's lead test from his one-year appointment came back and he tested at 2 ug/dL. That doesn't seem high (it's in the "low" range of 0-2, but on the edge of "moderate" which is 2-6), but our pediatrician was really freaking me out about it and saying that it was really concerning. The thing is we have practically no risk factors! Our house is from 1986 and we have remodeled almost everything so paint, flooring, all surfaces are new. Our drinking water is RO filtered. We don't really have any vinyl/PVC toys or accessories. We don't live near industrial sites or have hobbies that would put us at elevated risk. The only thing I have been able to think of are lead being tracked in on our shoes from outside and our brass keys.

I guess what I'm really asking is whether 2 ug/dL is cause to freak out. I know lead poisoning is a terrible thing, but I'm assuming it's kind of just part of urban life, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Mandycoot, what did your ped recommend doing? We've been doing a multivit and iron to hopefully hinder absorption. We are testing our water and hoping that L's arms are skinny enough to find a vein for a test at her 15 month appt next week.

So sorry Sven's levels came back elevated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Why would there be a "low" category if it's going to involve the same amount of freak-out? Isn't "low" low?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I can see that borderline moderate is a different animal from middle of the road low or zero. I do think that you ped should be putting this in perspective and giving you a good way forward.

Supposedly lead levels go down after 18m when kids put less in their mouths, bc a lot of these numbers are due to soil, paint etc which is ingested. So hopefully as with Ada Sven's numbers will be back to low or zero on retesting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 am 
Saggy Butt

My pediatrician didn't really offer much advice other than directing us to a "healthy interiors consultant." It's frustrating -- she freaked us out but didn't offer any real suggestions. Basically she said "don't let it get any higher" which is difficult to do if you don't know where the exposure comes from!

But I've done enough research on my own now to know we don't have any major risk factors so I kind of don't want to spend the money on a consultant to be told he's just ingesting contaminated soil or something. We're trying to be careful tracking dirt in and will retest in six months. Now that he's walking and doesn't have his mouth six inches from the ground at all times I'm hoping things improve on their own.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 am 
***LIES!!!***

And I'm sure you're already taking your shoes off at the door!

I finally worked up the time and ambition to get Malka tested this past weekend, then discovered in the early afternoon on Saturday when I picked her up after work and when I wanted to call and get an appointment that all the testing places are open 7-11am on Saturdays (when I'm at work and couldn't have done it) and closed Sundays. Argh. Will try again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ariann, we are careful, but the dog is not! :) Bummer that you couldn't get your test done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm 
Semen Strong

We're going to try and get blood drawn on Wednesday, and I am just dreading it. Leela hates the MD and last time her arms were too chubby to draw blood and the MD refuses to do a heel stick test.

We have enough risk factors that we've been treating with added Fe and Vit C.

I hope things get better mandycoot! And good luck Ariann!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I hope either Leela miraculously doesn't mind the MD or the stick and/or that the MD sees she's still too chubby and acquiesces to the easier test. I wish our peds did testing in-house. Going somewhere else to test a toddler is such a hassle. Didn't think to ask about whether they did their own testing when we were picking out a pediatrician.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm 
Semen Strong

She isn't going to acquiesce to the easier test, she is going to tell us to wait to 18 months. She gave me a long spiel about how it is unreliable, even after I quoted your very fine sources about how widely accepted it is. Barf. And I am really nervous because of our stupid water situation and so I want the test done asap.

The Quest in Clifton (on Allwood Road) is really good with kid blood draws but that isn't super-local for you.

Good luck with the tests! I hope you can find a window to get it done!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And our insurance won't let us go to Quest labs, only LabCorp. Will probably try again tomorrow on my day off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Is testing like an automatic thing at 1 year? His PA didn't even mention it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:50 am 
Semen Strong

A few of the local peds here that are a bit more holistic minded don't do it unless there is a reason to suspect lead exposure, esp because any exposure there is tends to resolve once the kiddo isn't crawling around eating dirt any more.

Our ped went over risk factors and said she hadn't seen many cases - one was of a woman using a lead crystal container to make her child's formula in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kimba wrote:
Is testing like an automatic thing at 1 year? His PA didn't even mention it.

Here they only test if you have risk factors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 pm 
Semen Strong

They couldn't find a vein on my chubette's chubby arms, so they'll try again next time. Our Dr said that she tests kids from all over the area and hasn't seen high numbers from our area, and so she doesn't have concerns about our water being contaminated enough to have an effect on L. And besides, we are already giving her a multi with Fe, which is what would be ordered if her numbers came back under 15