| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Did your body change post partum?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I don't really pay much attention to the whole "celebrity pregnancy/post-baby body thing," but it's kind of weird/interesting how much space (pun intended) Kate Middleton's post-baby tummy is taking up in the press and public imagination. It makes you realize how famous women essentially disappear after giving birth: it's okay to have a "baby bump" (a term I find really distasteful), but the minute the tiny miracle little arrives, the former incubator has to go into hiding/starvation/secret compulsive exercise mode until she is deemed "fit" to re-emerge. And apparently the result is that many people actually don't realize that most women don't zip up their skinny jeans within moments of giving birth.

Anyway, I think it's kind of intriguing that a dialogue seems to be opening up about this supposed "taboo" of women's post-partum bodies. The article below mentions a few (which I've also posted links to) projects being done by women addressing the world-shaking idea that after undergoing the extreme metamorphosis of pregnancy, our bodies don't necessarily just - SHAZAM! - snap right back to where they started. As the Guardian writer says, "Human reproduction is ridiculous and incredible in equal measure. It reminds us that we are mammals but with the ability to consider the profound implications of that. We should celebrate women's bodies in all their shapes and sizes not punish them for the weird and wonderful things they do."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -cambridge

http://theshapeofamother.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23276432

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bodhi wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Right now I would love to do that downward-dog-with-one-leg-in-the-air pose without my vagina filling with air like some kind of weird flesh balloon. And my labia 'click' when I do squats.

Aughghhghgugh! This happens to me too when I do any remotely inverted posture. Definitely downward dog with the leg up. Also shoulder stands. Gah! I don't get the click though.

Okay, I have been doing long-kegels ([hold 10 sec, release 5-10 sec]=1 rep) religiously. I was doing 9 sets of 10 reps a day, but am down to 3-5 sets. There is definitely an improvement. I still have slip-ups (yesterday), but the 'weird flesh balloon' issue was suspiciously absent while doing downward dog with one leg up during P90x today and I did jumping jacks without peeing or feeling like I was about to pee.
(Labia still click, though.)
It took several weeks of religious long-kegeling to get to this point, though.

I also do at least 40-60 quick-pulse kegels every day, too. But I don't think they make nearly the difference as the long ones. I did read to do both, though. And deep squats. Which I try to do (10-20) every day, but I sometimes forget. I need to work out a whole Pee90X routine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I need to work out a whole Pee90X routine.

Haha! Yes. This is the best post ever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am 
Inflexitarian

My post partum body is still continuing to morph and guineapiglet is 21 months old! I was one of those people who lost a crap-ton of weight breastfeeding. I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight by 5 weeks and then stayed about 10 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm around 4 lbs smaller than my pregnancy weight and I feel good about where i am. I was way too skinny being 10lbs under and the skin around my stomach just seemed different. Not saggy or stretchy just different. My belly button is now a permanent outty which I'm still not in love with but such is life and my boobs have finally gone back to normal. FINALLY! I called my mom over the moon excited Monday morning because I was wearing a real bra again and thankfully they went back to my pre-pregnancy size so I didn't have to buy any new ones. But geesh they were monsters for the longest time. Horrifically huge.

One thing I've learned about my body through pregnancy and nursing is what a forking fantastic thing a woman's body is. How it shifts, and changes and adjusts to what our children need (and what we need) is pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I still can't peas straight and it's been nearly two years. Guess it's because they had to cut me, maybe I healed wonky.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5