| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you consider yourself crunchy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:10 am 
Inflexitarian

Curious, how many PPK parents consider themselves "crunchy"?

I don't really know if I fit or not and don't care too much, just find it funny people assume vegan=crunchy.

I babywear, co-sleep (that wasn't planned though!), tried to breastfeed and ended up formula feeding now, vaccinate by a traditional schedule, plan on cloth diapering past month 1, and don't usually use alternative med..so really a mixed bag!

I'm not judging anybody who does different, just curious!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

Post subject: Re: Do you consider yourself crunchy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:03 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

When I read the title I thought it was some kind of sex-related topic. Then I saw it was in the Playground and was confused. I still am, but now I imagine cute little babies teething and using their parents to calm themselves. Crunchy today, mommy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Anywhere else in the country I would be considered crunchy, where I live I am on the more mainstream edge of crunchy. We mostly cloth diaper, breastfeed at almost a year, have a family bed, eat only organic and/or local food, babywear (although not as much now that he is so heavy and squirmy), I use traditional as well as alternative medicine, and we vaccinate on a regular schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

littlebear wrote:
Anywhere else in the country I would be considered crunchy, where I live I am on the more mainstream edge of crunchy. We mostly cloth diaper, breastfeed at almost a year, have a family bed, eat only organic and/or local food, babywear (although not as much now that he is so heavy and squirmy), I use traditional as well as alternative medicine, and we vaccinate on a regular schedule.

We are pretty much the same! We live in Austin so I think we're pretty much considered mainstream here (I don't know what the dividing line is...showering?!), despite all those things.

One thing I thought was curious is that we are vaccinating selectively (doing some on schedule, delaying others, skipping some), but all the judgment we have received has been from no-vaxers, rather than those who are staunchly pro-vax. That is totally not meant to start an argument, I'm just surprised that my experience has been the opposite of what I expected.

That said, I find it really refreshing to be living in a community where nothing you do is considered weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mandycoot wrote:
littlebear wrote:

We are pretty much the same! We live in Austin so I think we're pretty much considered mainstream here (I don't know what the dividing line is...showering?!), despite all those things.

One thing I thought was curious is that we are vaccinating selectively (doing some on schedule, delaying others, skipping some), but all the judgment we have received has been from no-vaxers, rather than those who are staunchly pro-vax. That is totally not meant to start an argument, I'm just surprised that my experience has been the opposite of what I expected.

That said, I find it really refreshing to be living in a community where nothing you do is considered weird.

Yeah, its pretty awesome to be able to breastfeed anywhere without a cover and never ever worry if someone may be offended. I was breastfeeding at a bar yesterday! We are one of the few families I know that vaccinate at all, and that is pretty judged here. I also don't feed my baby bone broth which seems to be the popular thing here, Weston Price people are everywhere here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 am 

I guess I consider myself on the mainstream edge of crunchy. I was never much of a babywearer due to never finding a system that worked for us, but we cloth diaper, breastfeed at nearly 20 months (and have never used a nursing cover!), try to eat mostly organic foods.... We coslept for a while too, but we could never sleep very well with our squirmy daughter next to us. 99% pro-vax (skipped hep b at birth, but that's the only vax not on schedule), and generally pro-mainstream medicine, but I do think alternative medicine can have something to offer. I think homeopathy is a load of bs though, so I end up disagreeing with many (most?) of the alternative medicine people I come across.

Oh, and I'm pretty firmly pro-hospital birth for myself. I don't judge anyone who want a home birth at all, but it's not right for me. I'm hoping for a hospital natural birth with a doula for my (potential) next baby.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:50 am 
Semen Strong

littlebear wrote:

I so hear you on it being regional! I spend most of my time near a very crunchy, liberal town, and most of my momma friends breast-feed, baby-wear, cloth diaper and co-sleep and do BLW. But I've had friends approach me because no one else in their circle breastfed, cloth-diapered etc and they think I'm this ultra-crunchy alt. mama. But I don't do EC, and we did have a hospital birth, albeit with a doula and a midwife and no medical interventions (save the monitor) and we vax on the traditional schedule (just no Hep B and a bit more spaced out - we do the std vaxes spread out over 2 weeks at a time).

I think crunchy is pretty awesome.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Not the crunchiest, but yeah, pretty crunchy. We cloth diaper, babywear, co-sleep, had a homebirth, most often buy used clothes/furniture, have a DivaCup, tend a small garden, let the girls get muddy, baby eats cat and dog fur and we don't freak, we avoid vaxes, have regular chiro from the husband, try to avoid remedies in pill form (we don't seek alternative care, exactly, more just avoid going into the MD/DO if we can chill out at home instead), etc.

I don't make all my own clothes or only buy organic or use family cloth, though (not that I'm opposed to any of those, just haven't made them priority in our lives at this time). I don't wear much makeup or dye my hair, but that's more because I'm poor and short on me-time rather than a stand against mainstream beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I guess I'm pretty crunchy. With my first, we breastfed until almost 3 years, we co-slept/sleep (depends on the night, sometimes he joins us still - he is 4), both my partner and I babywear, I take my son everywhere via bus, rather than car (I am car-free, my partner's not due to his job). With my new baby, it will be pretty much the same, though we will probably also do BLW, which I hadn't heard of before. And we're probably going to unschool them. So, pretty crunchy to most people in my area. Oh, and cloth diapers! Part-time the first time, and this time will hopefully be all cloth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

"We" did extended breast feeding, plenty of baby wearing, and very extended co-sleeping. I am not crunchy in the slightest otherwise.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't know how much wearing I'll do with two babies and working full time after 12 weeks, but I'll do my best. I do plan to breastfeed as long as possible, I'm not sure yet about co-sleeping with two, though I'm not against it, eat local and organic whenever possible, use glass straws, reusable coffee mugs, looking at composting and growing lots of our own food when things calm down, make my own kombucha and yogurt, buy used whenever possible, and I will vaccinate.

Our house is nearly tropical in the winter, and I also drive a small SUV/crossover because I ran my car into a tree last winter, and I felt safer in something with 4WD. I did buy it used, and it is more fuel efficient than many of the cars I researched with similar features. I still feel a little guilty about it, but we also live in the middle of nowhere in this weird micro-climate where we get snow and ice when no one else in our county does. I know it won't prevent an accident, but I don't drive like a jerk, either.

I don't consider myself crunchy.

Heck, even my dad, who claims he doesn't care much about the environment or animals uses fluorescent bulbs and greatly reduced his meat and dairy consumption. He asks for vegan recipes for his "students." He also sends me cards for every holiday on the calendar. I think he's secretly a hippie.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm 

littlebear wrote:
I also don't feed my baby bone broth which seems to be the popular thing here, Weston Price people are everywhere here!

Oh my lard, the bone broth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I guess we're mildly crunchy. In some parts of the country we'd seem totally out there, but in Santa Cruz, yeah, not so much.

We co-sleep, baby wear, and I breastfed the Emperor til he was almost 2. (His choice to stop.) And did BLW. Cloth diapers. Probably some other crunchy things too.

On the other hand, I don't have any intent to ever homeschool (which seems pretty crunchy to me) and I vaccinate my kids pretty much on schedule.

I don't really think of myself as crunchy. My parenting ethos pretty much centers around laziness. Whatever seems most intuitive and least like it's going to cause problems for me is what I do. Cosleeping is great for us because it works and means I don't have to get out of bed seventeen times a night to feed a baby. Stuff like that.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

coldandsleepy wrote:
I guess we're mildly crunchy. In some parts of the country we'd seem totally out there, but in Santa Cruz, yeah, not so much.

We co-sleep, baby wear, and I breastfed the Emperor til he was almost 2. (His choice to stop.) And did BLW. Cloth diapers. Probably some other crunchy things too.

On the other hand, I don't have any intent to ever homeschool (which seems pretty crunchy to me) and I vaccinate my kids pretty much on schedule.

I don't really think of myself as crunchy. My parenting ethos pretty much centers around laziness. Whatever seems most intuitive and least like it's going to cause problems for me is what I do. Cosleeping is great for us because it works and means I don't have to get out of bed seventeen times a night to feed a baby. Stuff like that.

I think a lot of my parenting so far is based on either common sense, laziness, or a combination..hence the co-sleeping. We just don't think never sleeping or always listening to her scream is safer/healthier..but we also really enjoy sleeping. (Not that she feels like sleeping in bed at the moment, she's propped up in my lap sleeping!)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I breastfeed and will until my kid decides she's done. We co-sleep, cloth diaper and baby wear. We've vaccinated on schedule. I really don't consider myself crunchy at all, but I could see how someone with a different approach to parenting might think I was.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was WAY crunchier before I had a kid. In fact, I've become even more mainstream with my second kid. I might not be crunchy at all anymore. Co-slept with kid #1 but not with #2 except out of desperation, breastfeeding all around with occasional formula for new baby, some version of BLW for both kids, wore the kids for walks but never around the house, vaccinated both but no delays this time around, Western medicine with a healthy dose of wait-and-see, Huggies (embarrassing but the only thing that didn't give kid #2 a rash). My three-year-old watches some TV and I don't fret too much about the baby catching a glimpse of the screen. Common sense and what works for everyone rules the day. Stuff that is super-popular here that we don't do: amber teething necklaces, homeopathic vaccines, cranio-sacral work, Weston-Price (obvs).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Axel Foley wrote:
amber teething necklaces, homeopathic vaccines, cranio-sacral work, Weston-Price (obvs).

All soooo popular here. Sometimes I will be chatting to another parent at the park and find myself wanting to scream: I don't want to hear about your 6 month old's chiropractor!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This forum makes me feel like the most mainstream parent in the world, but it's kind of amazing how crunchy so many of my friends think I am for co-sleeping, BLW, attempted breastfeeding, planned cloth diapering (someday when we have a washer!!!!!), and using a midwife (and even then declining/questioning a variety of tests and interventions along the way). I do not think of myself as crunchy at all. I think of myself as sensible and lazy. I find it amazing how much energy (and money) people spend on parenting that I totally could not muster.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It actually sounds like we're all pretty much on the same page here. Which I like. I like parents who pick and choose what's right for their families rather than voting on a ticket so to speak.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that is such a great point. All of us really do what works for us as families, and the designation "crunchy" or even "attachment parenting" really has little set meaning.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 pm 
And you never will.

Once again, the PPK proves to me why I love it so much.

We're considered insanely crunchy in this area, but in reality we're not. Mostly we're just lazy and poor. Like most of you, we're a mix of what could be considered 'mainstream' and 'crunchy'. I was induced and gave birth in a hospital, but I refused any pain killing drugs. We chose not to circumcise, we co-sleep (mostly out of necessity), I wore poopiebaby when he was smaller, extended breastfeed (two years next month!), BLW, cloth diaper (no way could we afford disposables), selective/delayed vaccinate (this is a compromise between myself and my husband, who is pretty staunchly anti-vax). poopiebaby wears an amber teething necklace, but you better believe I give him Tylenol if he's in pain. I would never ever consider homeschooling my kid(s), but that's mostly because I was homeschooled and I had a horrible, terrible childhood which involved abuse and mental illness, and it's impossible for me to separate the two in my mind.

It's so nice to have a community online that doesn't label me crazy for being 'too mainstream' or 'too crunchy'. In these parts you're either firmly in one camp or the other, and anyone who disagrees is ruining their kids FOREVER.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I shower and shave my legs and drive a car, so not what in my mind I thought crunchy referred to. As for the parenting stuff you are talking about, I am breastfeeding (while totally getting why a lot of people don't), we are using a sidecar cosleeper, I believe strongly in vaccinating on schedule and modern medicine (also I believe strongly in fluoride and amalgam fillings), we cloth diaper (sometimes disposables on vacation), I sometimes use a baby carrier (but find the term baby wearing a little creepy), I used a hospital clinic's midwife, and loved my epidural. I'm vegan, so there's that. We are probably all super crunchy just because of that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Most mainstream people would concider me or my parenting views crunchy but I just call it common sense. I don't understand homeschooling and its association to being crunchy. No offence to anyone who does it or plans to do it but I don't have the time or money to do that. I wouldn't want to anyhow. I think a lot of the "crunchy" stuff and AP stuff is only doable for the upper class. But when you think of being "crunchy" prekids it is all about being frugal and poor. weird to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think it would be pretty cool to homeschool, but there is no way that can work with my job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think anyone would consider me crunchy?? Besides being part of a CSA, buying local/organic as much as possible and breastfeeding, we don't have a lot of crunch going on! I suppose we have some grey area... W sleeps in our room, I had a drug-free hospital birth, we get a lot of hand-me-down/second hand clothes.
I totally agree with the "pick and choose" method. And I love what C&S says about being lazy. I think my husband and I are both laid back and I think this will be one of the biggest influences on our parenting style!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next