| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go the Fork to Sleep
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ah coldandsleepy, I feel your pain! Perhaps it's a growth spurt, not that it makes it any easier on you. And yep sounds like M and our S are on the same page, will haughtily accept a bottle but much much prefers it on tap and preferably at 2am. It seems like we're going backwards in terms of sleeping and eating habits and it's totally making me crazed too. Glad to hear he's not waking E up yet though! We have the opposite problem where D wakes up hysterically wailing sometimes when she has to pee instead of ya know, getting out of bed and telling me, and she's woken S up several times. I've resorted to crying and hitting a pillow when I'm losing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
I am not indulgent in the "one more book, one more snack" kind of way, but clearly she has figured out that I can be worn down. My husband did suggest that she just wants to spend more time with me. But more time screaming? We've also read that there are some kids who need to scream/cry at bedtime to get their tension out and who get riled up when you try to relax them down (we have definitely noticed that pattern), but for how long can a person scream at bedtime? Will she be doing this when she's 5? And it's so much harder to tolerate when I know she can so easily control it.

Honestly, I would just say take it a day at a time and not worry about what she does when she is 5 :)

As for the screaming, I definitely don't think its that she wants to spend the time with you screaming at you. I think that babies get overtired and then the little self-control they have goes out the window. And they don't know they need sleep - they just keep running on fumes. You said "she can so easily control it" though - what makes you think that?

Today L was overtired at a playdate - cue hitting despite admonishments and corrections, so ultimately we had to go home and she passed out about 3 minutes after I got her in the car. She was overtired tonight, because B came home at 8 just when she was falling asleep and she heard him and wanted Daddy time, which was great except she was already tired at 8 -cue her jumping up and down on the dog (which she is not allowed to do) and finally crying and then going to sleep in about 3 minutes, once I got her and put her in a dark room and shushed her.

I am thinking of doing a timer for "Special Daddy Time" at night - so she can have 30 minutes to play full out with Daddy (sing, read books, run around, eat stuff, explore the fridge) and then we go to being very boring so she can transition. That way we don't end up with an hour of her getting more and more tired and things getting more fraught. Seriously, when I put her to bed alone its a dream - a few minutes, no struggle and then out. I'd love to do that when B is home too - let them have a set time for awesomefuntimes and then out without a struggle. But that may be too optimistic

What do other people do?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

She can control it because she went back and forth between that and giggling/shushing me. It wasn't a tantrum where she was just out of control screaming, it was a super controlled scream which is a whole new obnoxious skill of hers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
What do other people do?

Suffer? We had a decent bedtime routine going for a while, but now with daylight savings time and the evenings getting lighter and lighter (and eventually pretty much not getting dark at all), it is getting harder and harder to get my kids to go to sleep at night. Beetroot is okay, but Raygold gets up and goes from one side of the bed to the other, back and forth, several times, for 30-60 minutes. It was so easy to get them to bed a month ago. The last week has really been the pits. If (a) I weren't pregnant and waddly and (b) it hadn't been raining so much, I'd take them for walks to wear them out (Beetroot was still escaping and running across the street and almost got hit by a bus last fall). I wish we had a fenced in yard without black adders! I wouldn't even care if they got muddy at this point if I could just let them play outside by themselves with minimal supervision.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am sitting on the floor in Malka's room because everytime I try to leave she wakes up crying. When will this two hour bedtime bullshiitake end? I forking cannot take this anymore.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes! Poor you and poor Malka! Hope things get better soon!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

P.S. her new screaming-for-shits-and-giggles thing is now an all day affair and is going to make it impossible for us to be in public if it continues.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that people in the public have a lot of tolerance for toddlers and their poor put-upon parents. I am sorry that the screaming is continuing. I imagine that must be really hard on you, esp when you're so tired after a long day. Sending lots of good thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

She is asleep. I have escaped. Now I get to go right to bed and wake up at an obscene hour so I can go to work. Appreciate the good thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tonight - an hour and a half. Less screaming, maybe she was more tired tonight. Most of that time she wanted to snuggle, but at one point she told me to leave (seriously, she said "leave!" several times) and pushed me out of bed and cried for daddy and when my husband switched off with me she started giggling and trying to get him to play. I had to finish the project because he was just getting her excited. This seems so crazy to me. Isn't this the point where sleep problems are supposed to be getting better?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I screwed the pooch in bedtimes today. Too much stimulation and now she is overtired and silly. Mental note: Never sing 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed at bedtime or you will have to sing it a zillion times.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The sillies are the worst.

Moving in a good direction on bedtime over here. Today it was just an hour and extremely minimal crying. We are trying to slowly inch her bedtime earlier in the off chance it might actually help this time around (we have done this experiment before with no effect). She shows zero signs of tiredness earlier, but maybe the window between wide awake and over tired is so small that we just keep missing it. Started bedtime at 8:30, escaped her bedroom at about 9:45.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, tonight it was just me, and I got her down pretty well at 10:30 with minimal drama, despite the fact that she had a really long nap (which I conapped for part of).

Naps, man. I put her down at 2 thinking she'd sleep until 4 but she slept till 5:30 and didn't fully wake until 6, so then we had 4 hours of awake time before I managed to get her to go to sleep. She brought all her bath toys into bed in the process - so fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Down at 9 on the dot. Booyah!

She didn't nap well (but I put her down at 12:30 following JENNA's lead) and was overtired and tried delaying bedtime (book? crackers? water?) which I ignored (I gave her the water, which she promptly poured all over the bed - argh - and then I was done). And then she conked out.

Don't fight the sandman, little bunny!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We were down in half an hour! No nap here either today, although several attempts.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Once your kids are sleeping, do they sleep through the night? Bedtime is relatively drama free, but now that we moved, Grey is waking up again at night.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, L sleeps until about 8 am.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka wakes once and either comes into our bed or one of us goes into hers. We cut out the mid night bottle a month or so ago, but she still wakes up.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't know how to get Grey back to sleep without boobing him. For a while Nate could do it, but now he will just scream. I'm giving it some time since so much has been going on, but it is frustrating. I would also like to wean at some point...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Honestly, we just said no. She screamed a bit at the beginning, but then got that we were serious. I think it only works if they really don't need the nutrition. I didn't feel comfortable that Malka didn't need it until the point where we started saying no (she has always been a grazer and eats lightly during the day) and I could imagine some kids need it longer than others.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have been worried about dehydration, but lately we have been really pushing fluids, and he has several heavy diapers a day. I drink a lot of water through the night, partially as I get used to living in the desert, with air conditioning in all the time and since I am nursing at night. If things don't improve in another week or so, we will have to be more tough with him. I think we can just give him a water bottle and tell him to drink if he wakes up and is thirsty.

The other hard part is that I am going to potty train soon and I always hear people say not to give too many fluids in the evening or they won't be able to hold it all night. Not sure what to do there...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Right, you're going to transition from responding to his requests to nurse at night to having to wake yourself up to wake him up to use the potty. Ugh. Maybe you can push more fluids and nursing in the early hours of the day and start tapering toward evening?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 am 
Nooch of Earl

I was gone for a week and it was so nice not nursing (pumped a couple times, didn't need to after that). V did fine. Got back and hours passed without her mentioning it and then all of a sudden it was NURRRRRR NURRRRRR NURRRRR and she hasn't looked back.

Naps are screwed up and bedtimes have been difficult. I am looking forward to being back in California just to get back to our schedule.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Really starting to freak out at how little Sierra sleeps. Too many nights of bedtime at 9, up at 1 for at least an hour, sleeping thru til 5:30 but then up for the day. Seriously, I can hardly function and I'm not the one growing/developing in leaps and bounds, she's gotta need more sleep than that! Yet she is all smiley and boisterous.
I can't help it, I'm very very tempted to look into Ferber or something like that but I've never seen anything that addresses what to do if you are supposed to be sleeping 15 feet from the screaming sleepless baby. All I know is that I'm just losing my shiitake over here.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Audrey, I feel your pain. tw is still waking up 4-5 times a night and I can't figure it out--why, if I am so zonked after waking up every 2 hours, is she so chipper all day? Why? How? More importantly, how can I feel that good?

I have read that gifted kids often seem to need less sleep, so while I don't know if that's really true (but heck, on the PPK, aren't all the kids above average?) maybe it will console you briefly. You're obviously just raising a genius baby.

Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next