| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Go the Fork to Sleep
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:01 pm 
And you never will.

I can't believe I've never posted in this thread before. Well, maybe I can, because talking about poopieboy's sleep until recently always ended in frustrated tears. BUT! He is sleeping through the night! Consistently! Like, sleeping EIGHT TO TEN HOURS YOU GUYS. It's like a miracle.

Anyway, he's going to be 3 in a couple of weeks (how did this happen?) and I'm ready to move him to his own bed. SO ready. So I just ordered him his own toddler bed! I'm going to move the double bed we've been sharing out of his room and into the spare room next door, and put his new bed in his room. I plan to sleep in the spare room (so he knows I'm close by) until he's used to sleeping alone, then I'll move across the house back into the master bedroom.

I think this also means that weaning is imminent. I've been sort of cutting back on nursing, mostly just boobing him when I put him down for nap time and at bed time, but he's also kept his long (LONG) session when he first wakes up in the mornings (like, he lazily nurses/dozes for 1-2 hours before we get up). I'm really ready to be done with that once he's sleeping alone, and once that stops I have a feeling we'll stop altogether.

Any advice for transitioning a 3 year old to his own bed? He already naps alone and starts out the night alone, and he already sleeps in his room, so I'm hoping it will go smoothly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, it's a miracle -- I'm so happy for you, Poopiebitch!!! Doesn't it feel delicious to sleep more than a few hours straight?!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay! I'm so glad sleep is happening for you PB!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:00 pm 
And you never will.

Okay, update time! We set up his bed about a week before his third birthday, but also left the bed we had been sharing in his room. I started putting him to sleep in his own bed, and for the first few nights he would come climb into bed with me about halfway through the night.

After he stayed in his own bed until at least 6am a couple of nights in a row, I moved my bed to the room next door. After a couple of nights of coming next door to me in the night, he now stays in his own bed all night. Most nights he wakes in the middle of the night and calls to me until I come "restart" his bear (it vibrates for a few minutes when you squeeze it), and tuck him back in. But he goes right back to sleep. A couple of nights he hasn't woken at all and sleeps until 6-6:30. It's amazing you guys.

Once he's consistently sleeping through without needing me to come in during the night, I'm going to move back to the other side of the house and sleep in the bed with my husband for the whole night like a real adult couple!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

SO happy for you poopie!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Yay Poopie!
My 2-year-old just started sleeping through the night about a week or two ago, and I feel soooooooo much better about life.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, its a whole other world when you're getting 8 hours! Congratulations Poopie! I cannot imagine 3 years without good sleep!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Holy ballz. She finally went to sleep at 12:17 after fighting sleep ALL EVENING. And she kept saying she was tired and wanted to nurse, so I'd nurse her and then she'd walk off and go do something else. SO ANNOYING.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oh tlish! Those are the worst kind of days. I hope she lets you sleep in a little tomorrow!

I think we've gotten over our sleep regression, knock on wood. She's back at the point where I can basically do the bed routine, leave the room, and she'll babble for a while before falling asleep. It was a tough time but I'm hoping that's the last of them!! Her last two molars are about to come in, so I expect some difficulty then, but she's gotten good at sleeping most of the night until ~5 when she usually wakes up to use the potty. I know this isn't unusual or special for a 2yo but for us it feels like a really good point. Now if only the daytime potty training would work better or she'd learn to take off her pants and sit on the potty herself when she wakes up instead of crying for me (but that's another thread).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am 
Naked Under Apron

I just refuuuuuuuse to believe that Sierra only needs to sleep 9 hours at night. But once 6am rolls around there is just no stopping her from screaming and crying until I get her out of her crib. For months I'd do this and she'd doze while nursing in our bed for as long as I'd let her but oh no, lately she nurses for 5 minutes and then runs away from the bed, attempting to get into her big sister's room. Dahlia does not give a fork, she just ignores her and keeps sleeping. But it's so ridiculous, Sierra's eyelids are drooping and she's wandering around crying but she will not lay down. This is just crazy, Howard and I are beyond exhausted and we try to trade off on who has to get up with her but we're both suffering - me because I have to try and be clear-headed and semi-intelligent at work starting at noon and him because he's then stuck with both kids the entire day. Either way, starting our day at 6am for no goddamn good reason is driving me to tears.
Thing is, I feel a sense of guilt like I shouldn't be complaining because most days lately she is sleeping straight through or maybe waking once for a couple minutes. But we so need to get her on our schedule because being up that early doesn't work for us and honestly, she seems like she needs to sleep later but is too stubborn to do so!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Mommy, make a bottle?
No sweetie, you finished your bottle. It's time for sleep.
Mommy, read a book?
We read our books, sweetie. Go to sleep.
Mommy, sing song?
We already sang our songs.
Mommy, prayers?
We said our prayers, baby.
Mommy, brush teeth?
We brushed our teeth already, lay down and go to sleep.

And then she did!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Audrey wrote:
I just refuuuuuuuse to believe that Sierra only needs to sleep 9 hours at night. But once 6am rolls around there is just no stopping her from screaming and crying until I get her out of her crib. For months I'd do this and she'd doze while nursing in our bed for as long as I'd let her but oh no, lately she nurses for 5 minutes and then runs away from the bed, attempting to get into her big sister's room. Dahlia does not give a fork, she just ignores her and keeps sleeping. But it's so ridiculous, Sierra's eyelids are drooping and she's wandering around crying but she will not lay down. This is just crazy, Howard and I are beyond exhausted and we try to trade off on who has to get up with her but we're both suffering - me because I have to try and be clear-headed and semi-intelligent at work starting at noon and him because he's then stuck with both kids the entire day. Either way, starting our day at 6am for no goddamn good reason is driving me to tears.
Thing is, I feel a sense of guilt like I shouldn't be complaining because most days lately she is sleeping straight through or maybe waking once for a couple minutes. But we so need to get her on our schedule because being up that early doesn't work for us and honestly, she seems like she needs to sleep later but is too stubborn to do so!

You have probably already thought of this - but we have black-out curtains on our nursery windows that make the room pitch black (and then his little noise maker has a small blue night light). I think it makes the biggest difference for us. His nursery is across the hall from the bathroom, and if the bathroom door is left open light (just a little) will creep in under his door and he will wake up around 6:30 to 7. He otherwise sleeps in until 8:30 or 9. Of course bedtime is late-ish around 9 - 9:30 pm. My pedi said that at the age of one she expects 10 to 11 hours at night and then around 3 hours of naps during the day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Audrey wrote:

Ugh, I have no advice, but I so feel you. Henry's up between 5 and 5:45 every every every day screaming his head off. We had a small success last week when we put him down later and he slept until 6:30 3 days in a row but now he's back to 5:30 or so. He goes down easily most nights and usually sleeps through the night, but jeez kid, sleep in!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am 
Naked Under Apron

thanks annasrobbie and bap. We tried to put her down 45min later and she woke up an hour earlier! I do feel 9pm is a good bedtime for her because we put her down wide awake and she magically drifts off by herself. But somehow her darn body clock is set for 6...actually a couple days lately its been more like 7:30 and THAT I can live with (pre-Sierra me is wondering who the hell has taken over my body and brain to say that hahah). But ah yes then we have nights like last night where at 3am she just was awake...she'd cry and I'd shush her, then she'd either drift off or just lay there for a while but start crying again in like a half hour. After 4 bouts of this I brought her to our bed where I had a terrible couple hours trying to sleep with her. Hmph.
annasrobbie what your ped said is pretty much what I'd expect too. We're not really that far off because she does take an almost-3 hour nap but that long stretch between her early wake-up and nap is killer!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:04 pm 

Ugh. I just wrote a long post that went nowhere. Anyway, maybe Sierra just doesn't need that much sleep? Sorry. Mine goes to bed late and gets up early, too.

You guys I need to whine a little bit. Life after crib takes so much longer to put her to bed. I used to say good night, she would blow me a kiss and I would peace out. Now, I have to sit WITH MY HAND CONSTANTLY PATTING HER BACK for like 30 minutes or she freaks out and tries to run out of her room.

In good news somewhat related, during the patting phase tonight she got up and led me to the potty. She pooped! It's extra exciting because we have never suggested to her to use the potty after we put on her nighttime diaper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I was nursing L to sleep and Brett decided that now was the perfect time to drop a nice cold glass of water off in the bedroom for me. Which was a super-sweet thought, except that obviously L woke up when she heard her Dad in the room and now instead of being asleep,she is running around the house.

Seriously, WHY would you come into the bedroom when you see all the lights off and know your daughter is going to sleep?

So now he is charged with putting her to sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ohh!! Poor well intentioned Brett. Poor stressed out you!

We're in a good place night sleep wise. I can pretty much read stores, kiss V goodnight, shut the lights off, and leave. She sometimes tries to run out of the room once or twice and I have to lead her back, but in general I feel like I've suddenly gained an hour of free time every day.

She's slightly making up for it with weird, unpredictable napping.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 pm 

Butternut wrote:

You guys I need to whine a little bit. Life after crib takes so much longer to put her to bed. I used to say good night, she would blow me a kiss and I would peace out. Now, I have to sit WITH MY HAND CONSTANTLY PATTING HER BACK for like 30 minutes or she freaks out and tries to run out of her room.

In good news somewhat related, during the patting phase tonight she got up and led me to the potty. She pooped! It's extra exciting because we have never suggested to her to use the potty after we put on her nighttime diaper.

Oh man, putting her to be is getting worse. Instead of starting the bed routine at 7:30 and asleep by 8, we're still awake at 9!!!

She keeps getting out of bed and running out of her room. And she keeps asking to potty. She's on the potty now for the 4th time since we've been trying to put her down. She did finally poop, but Jesus! At least I can tag team it with my partner (he's taken over to give me a break). It's driving me crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
She did finally poop, but Jesus!

Hahaha. My kids have done that. "No, seriously, I have to poop, for real!" Then they either just pee a tiny bit or finally pop put a tiny bunny-poo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8