| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go the Fork to Sleep
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ugh, I feel like a couple months ago we got into a really good routine, but the days just keep getting longer. and longer. and effing longer. It's 8:30 and she's still awake, and won't go to sleep (I've been trying), but she's also been getting up at like 5 for the day. She's been taking longer naps in the middle of the day, but I really liked having her in bed at ~7:30, because I could actually do something with my evening other than wrangle a baby to sleep. It made the routine of dinner-bed routine-sleep pretty easy and now it's just, ugh, it feels like my relaxing evenings have gone away. Of course, yesterday she had a screwed up nap (fell asleep in the car => no more nap) and fell asleep in her dinner (literally) for the babysitter. maybe i should just disappear and hire the sitter to handle bedtime every night because she seems to have waaaay more success with it than i do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think I completely forked Malka's sleep. I successfully moved bedtime from 9:30 (real sleep time sometime after 10:30, with tons of screaming and crying) to 8 or even earlier (real sleep time around 9). She was going down slowly as usual, but without her usual fight. We had several scream free bedtimes after months of these terrible screaming nights. Unfortunately, she started waking up stupid early and much worse, she is now waking up 3 or more times during the night and needing comfort and often a bottle where before she woke up once, if at all, and we had weaned her off night bottles entirely. So this is now terrible in a totally different way. She went to sleep today by 9, but just woke up at 11:30 with a lot of crying and needed someone to lie down with her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh, don't blame yourself Ariann! It was a super-hot, super-fun and sugar-fueled day and I think its just the nature of things that bedtimes shift with those variables.

L had a great nap this afternoon, and was nodding off in the carseat on the way home, so I was sure she'd be out in a jiff, but no, she fought sleep - lie down, then get up and want to chill etc till 10. And then she just went out, like a light.

I hope tomorrow is cooler and better for sleeping!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:
Ugh, I feel like a couple months ago we got into a really good routine, but the days just keep getting longer. and longer. and effing longer.

I feel you pain!!

My problem is literally that daytime is getting longer -- on a clear day, it is still light at nearly 11pm and the sun comes back up at 3 or something, so when my kids are supposed to go to bed (7pm) it is still bright -- we have really good curtains, but without duct taping them to the walls (not going to do that), light still gets in and they won't both settle until about 8pm (pushing bedtime back until 8pm doesn't help, then they don't settle until 9 and they still get up early). And they usually will sleep for 12 hours in the winter (when it is reasonably dark from, like, 4pm until 10am or something ridiculous like that -- even more when it is overcast), but now if they accidentally wake up early, they see it's light out and don't usually go back to sleep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 am 
Nooch of Earl

I think that's our problem too but San Diego is probably 10x easier than being as far north as you are!! Thanks for some perspective ;) at least we're almost at the top of the hill!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The multiple night wake ups have been going on for about a week. I am wondering if this is teething related and just coincidentally coinciding with the changed bedtime. My husband is about to kill me for messing with her bedtime because the early morning wake up is killing us. I still think it's better than a two hour screamfest at night.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann yuck!! It might be that.. Usually in retrospect when I have a period of horrific nights, there's an obvious cause in retrospect. I think V might be teething as well right now, in addition to our daylight problem. It's just NURR PEEZ NURR PEEZ NURR PEEZ constantly, and last night she was up screaming at me 'til 9:30...and of course up again at 2 and 5!

Does Malka have the first 4 molars and canines already? If not I bet that is what it was. Sounds slightly early for the second molars (I think that's what V might be getting now, but we've had a good long break from teething), but I think Ada was getting them that early so it could be! (Sashi?)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that she says please! L is just starting to say it, and it slays me every time. I flipping adore it.

She went to sleep like a trouper tonight but had just a 30 min nap. Which meant I got no down time. I need the nap kiddo!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh man the heat has brought us two days of two hour naps, from 3-5. This pushes bedtime up a bit, but I'm not complaining because nap is usually 1 hour or less. We will see how this goes during the work week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have no experience getting kids to fall asleep (expecting my first the end of this month) but I do shift work and know about sleeping when it's light out for adults. I recommend this cheap solution: http://www.amazon.com/Redi-Shade-181720 ... kout+shade It comes with six of them , and if you search I think they come in different lengths.

They're basically just thick black construction paper, but they go behind your existing curtains or blinds and stick up with double sided tape. You trim them to fit your windows exactly so there is minimal gapping, especially when you put real curtains in front of them. There's no cord or anything to move them up and down, you just kind of fold them up accordion style and clip them in place with the provided plastic clips, but this really isn't too bad, and when clipped up they're not terribly bothersome behind your existing curtains.

Maybe you could drop them down and go do a quieter activity in the darker room to help them transition to sleep before actually putting them in bed? Again, I am the first to admit I have no experience with this process with kids. I'm only speaking from my experience trying to get MYSELF to sleep when it's light out. I need some time in a darkened room doing a mellow repetitive activity. I would use a soft almost night-light type light in an otherwise blacked out room and do something like play solitaire - I couldn't even read or watch TV because it was too stimulating. For me this was the only way I was able to get myself into the right head space for sleep when it was light outside. I know you can't get a toddler to play solitaire, but maybe there's some other mellow repetitive activity that they might be cajoled into in the darkened room?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Now we know if we miss her new 8:30 bedtime by five minutes it will be just like the old screaming thrashing days. For forks sake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So we've had a bit of a sleep regression. It used to be that I could more or less do our bedtime routine, tuck V in, and leave the room. Sometimes she'd go right to sleep, sometimes she'd wimper a little but fall asleep quickly (<5 min). But not so much anymore. I either have to lie down with her until she falls asleep or whatever, and so I'm finding myself once again doing the sneak out of her room after she's asleep thing, which is SO hard and time consuming. It's like when I had to nurse her to sleep, maybe just lie next to her now, but it takes up most of my evening and it was so much more relaxing when she'd go to bed early and stay there.

Just read this. http://babyparenting.about.com/od/sleep ... -alone.htm Gonna try this method I think and see how it goes. I kinda tried doing the take her back to bed without interaction (supernanny) method and that didn't work that well, but I think I'll try coupling it with sitting elsewhere in her room. Maybe I should drag in a chair for myself. I did like this bit though: "Welcome to parenthood, where nothing that you thought would be easy ever is." <= I think this is so true! Everything I thought would be really tough about parenting is not that bad, and everything I tend to think of as very simple human processes, like eating, sleeping, and taking a dump, is apparently the most complicated thing in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, we have to sneak out when Malka is asleep. It takes forever, especially because she isn't in a deep sleep right away and will often wake to the creaking of the floor boards. I tried the super nanny technique for a few weeks with no luck and also have tried sitting elsewhere in the room with no luck (she just gets out of bed and clmbs onto me). Argh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

OK, I just did the thing where I stay in the room. I had to scoop her up and put her back into bed about 5 times, and once she tried to be the girl who cried poop (clever little sneak!), but by 8:20 she was asleep in her bed and I was able to get out. It was SO much easier to sneak out of her room sitting near the door than it was when she was lying on top of me!!

Considering that we started the bedtime routine (PJs, teeth, 5 books..) at 7:45, I'm considering that not half bad for a first try. Let's hope my luck holds!! I am going nuts having most of my evening eaten up by getting her to bed. We never dealt with that much when she was young, for the first year she'd usually conk out on the couch nursing while we watchd TV and we just took her to bed with us at 9-10pm and she'd sleep until late morning..but I got spoiled when it became easy to get her in bed around 7-8 without a fuss and I had the rest of the evening to myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We're having similar issues with getting Ada to sleep. Andy has been doing the night time thing for awhile and has to lay with her until she falls asleep. Lately she has been biting him and pulling his hair. So last night he decided to do the whole keep putting her back in the bed without saying anything (we can't just leave her in the room because she can open the door) and sat in the chair in her room. After awhile he said he just stayed standing up because she kept getting up and running to the door before he could sit. Anyway, it took almost two hours of continually putting her back in the bed before she stayed. Ugh. I felt bad for both of them when he told me about it.

Anyway, the same thing for nap except I lay down with her. Most days she falls asleep quick. One day last week she ran in and out of the room for an hour. But now I need to wait until Alice is sleeping until I can lay down with Ada. Obviously this won't work out timing wise once Alice is awake more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oy, sashi, that is rough!

Malka only woke up once last night!!!!!! The only thing different was that we spent at least 6 hours in the sun yesterday. So I took her for forty-five minutes in the sun this morning and as soon as the nanny got to us this morning I sent them out again to play. Hopefully this will help!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Ha! We have been spending as little time as possible in the house, for exactly that reason. We were out until 3 with Ariann and other friends, then she napped until 5:30 and then we were out until 8:30 at the playground eating a picnic dinner. It was so lovely - she was out cold at 9:30 and slept through until 8 am :)

Today we were out from 10 until 2:30, now she is napping and I'm hoping that if it doesn't rain, we'll have dinner outside as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It's raining :( I really hope it is nice after Malka's nap so they go out again.

Malka didn't even go inside between play times yesterday. She took a car nap, then we showed up at my in laws and she "watered the plants" for like two hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Slightly less success tonight. Started bedtime routine around 7:50 and it was 9pm before I finally was able to escape her room. But I am hoping that consistency over time will help.

I hate you in the face, ~2 year sleep regression.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm 

I was telling one of our pediatricians today during Alice's weight check about trying to get Ada to go to sleep by herself. She basically said that one of her daughters wouldn't stay in her bed and they ended up bribing her with fruit leathers. Ha. So yeah, even pediatricians can't get their toddlers to go to sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My (and now Violet's - just made her first real appointment) dentist would probably come to my house personally and smack me around if I did that!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 pm 

I was thinking that too. Our dentist scared me out of giving Ada those happy tot fruit chews. Now I have an unopened box in our kitchen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You guys are scaring me with the sleep regression talk!

At 18 months, I am in a happy routine with occasional wake ups and initial fussing, but nothing major. I think it helps that my partner has her on the go pretty much all day (play dates and what-not). She is signing for bed right after dinner most nights. I had to move the crib because she could finally reach a light switch from the old spot...strobe light!

I also find strange items in the crib in the morning. She wakes up and drags books into the crib from the shelf (it's a really small room) and anything that might be on the floor. I'm not even complaining about that. She wants to entertain herself when she up without bothering me? That is a plus. Although I don't know how she can see in there; I've got it like a cave.

I don't know what will happen when she starts climbing out of the crib. We will probably have to start all over. Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Still awake, two hours later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

8pm to 5am with still waking in the night is not enough sleep for you two-year-old! Especially since your nap was 20 minutes long! Mommy need more coffee, grrrrrrr.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next