| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go the Fork to Sleep
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Glad to hear it ds.

Here we go again. Nate has him out on a car ride. I am eting as fast as possible because I assume I will be going to bed as soon as they get home...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This isn't helpful, but I thought this thread was going to be about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CseO1XRYs9I

(NSFW)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Lorelei got only 40 minutes of sleep the entire time she was at daycare today and she was there for a total of 11 hours. AND I was the one who put her to sleep. Who's to say what would have happened if I didn't go there for lunch. Do they even care? It's been like this all week and I don't think it has anything to do with the new sleep routine at home. It has to do with my daycare being really shitty. I wish I had more options.

So anyway, naturally she was exhausted by the time we got home and I only got to really feed her, brush her teeth, and put her in some pajamas and she was already passed out on me. I tried putting her in the crib a couple of time unsuccessfully so I cuddled with her a little longer. I figured she needed it. I put her down without a fuss after that and she's still sleeping.

Things have gotten better for me. She used to only sleep for about a 40 minute stretch before waking and crying for me and I felt like I couldn't make any noise around the house and I wasn't able to get much done.

Now, I don't even really know what to do with myself after I eat and do the dishes. I have more time now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Update Night 4:

She woke up 3 times, I fed her and put her back in her crib. She didn't cry longer than probably 30-60 seconds before laying down and going to sleep on her own.

Nap time at daycare is still a disaster though she barely sleeps there. There is noise and activity going on all around all the time and babies crying and shouts and stuff. I wouldn't be able to sleep either. I don't know what to do with that. When I go there at lunch I try to help her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Poor baby! It sucks that the daycare isn't more helpful, but yay for her learning to sleep on her own!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey was exhausted and I kept him up until 6. He fell asleep. Then woke up st 7:30. He is still awake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Last night we did a co-sleeping, crib combo since I felt she was doing well enough falling asleep on her own. She got to sleep with me in the bed in the beginning because she was having trouble falling asleep, then I transferred her to the crib later and she slept in it the rest of the night. She didn't cry more than 1 minute before laying down and going to sleep on her own. Once she realizes that it's sleep time, she tends to quiet down and babble or shift around until she falls asleep instead of screaming for me.

I put her in the crib this morning for her first nap. Naps are not going well. She's been rubbing her eyes and acting tired for a little while so I thought I would give it a shot. She is really hard to wind down during the day. She is sort of crying/whining right now and not settling very well.

I wish naps were easier. I feel like she's only ever slept really well for naps when I wear her in the wrap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka slept for only one 45 minute nap today and was otherwise wide awake and super active from 9am to 11:30pm. Crazy baby. However, she now seems to be sleeping straight through the night the majority of nights, 9 hours or so.it is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Nap time is still a nightmare right now. She doesn't want to go to sleep. She starts screaming immediately after I put her in her crib and won't stop crying no matter how much I try to comfort her.

Last night was also not great. She woke up ever 1-1.5 hours, it was horrible. I don't know what was going on. I hope tonight is better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Malka slept for only one 45 minute nap today and was otherwise wide awake and super active from 9am to 11:30pm. Crazy baby. However, she now seems to be sleeping straight through the night the majority of nights, 9 hours or so.it is amazing.

This is where we are too, but it is a bear getting her to go down. I know we are lucky that she goes to sleep for the night at around 8, but seriously, from 5pm to 8pm, she is circling the drain, overtired and alternately super-excited and then super-cranky, with decreasing intervals between states. It is so tedious.

Would a schedule help my sleep ninja? Or am I just delusional. I know they need structure, but we are always playing catch as catch can, ie anything to stop you screaming your cute little head off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Sounds like she needs a nap before early evening, if she's willing to take one. I don't know how to schedule naps, though. When Malka doesn't nap she is still totally happy, no grumpiness. For a change of pace, she took a two hour plus nap the past two days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I actually stopped on my way home from the Y today once she was out cold and just listened to NPR until she woke up so she could get a proper nap. I think I am going to do that more often, bc I am always waking her to transfer her from her carseat....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Tofulish wrote:
I actually stopped on my way home from the Y today once she was out cold and just listened to NPR until she woke up so she could get a proper nap. I think I am going to do that more often, bc I am always waking her to transfer her from her carseat....

I pick up Lorelei at 4:00 and usually give her a feeding and she sometimes gets a nap in her carseat before we get home. I often sit in the car and wait for her to get at least 30-60 minutes of sleep even though it eats up some of my day. Then it's dinner time by the time we get home and she's not too overtired or cranky.

I start putting her to bed at 6:30 and she is asleep by 7:00. We wake up between 4:00-5:00 in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending you lots of good thoughts DS. I hope nap times and night times get easier for you both soon <3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann wrote:
Sounds like she needs a nap before early evening, if she's willing to take one. I don't know how to schedule naps, though. When Malka doesn't nap she is still totally happy, no grumpiness. For a change of pace, she took a two hour plus nap the past two days.

I think a schedule sounds good in theory, but then you're married to the schedule, too. I don't know about you guys, but I have stuff I want to do at all different times and anything more specific than morning and afternoon is hard for me to adhere to. I also get frustrated when she doesn't "do what she is supposed to do." if I go with the flow, I'm less anxious because I don't have solid expectations. Maybe I'm aiming too low?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I think a schedule sounds good in theory, but then you're married to the schedule, too. I don't know about you guys, but I have stuff I want to do at all different times and anything more specific than morning and afternoon is hard for me to adhere to. I also get frustrated when she doesn't "do what she is supposed to do." if I go with the flow, I'm less anxious because I don't have solid expectations. Maybe I'm aiming too low?

I am in the same boat. A friend of mine has her daughter on a supertight schedule, but that means she never ever does anything at those times and their whole family runs home at her nap time. I prefer being able to do stuff as it comes up.

I meant more like a winding down routine - brush teeth, bathe, read a book - but I don't know if that is realistic for a nearly 8 month old.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm 

I think you can implement a winding-down routine at 8 months. Do you think that too young or old? Couldn't hurt to try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm 
Semen Strong

I think one could, according to all the stuff I read and my pediatrician. I am having a hard time though.

Has anyone else done a successful wind-down routine? She hates baths and reading to her just gets her superhappy and excited. Sometimes the best way to get her to go to sleep is just to ignore her. Am I a horrible person?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
Butternut wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I am in the same boat. A friend of mine has her daughter on a supertight schedule, but that means she never ever does anything at those times and their whole family runs home at her nap time. I prefer being able to do stuff as it comes up.

I meant more like a winding down routine - brush teeth, bathe, read a book - but I don't know if that is realistic for a nearly 8 month old.

We started a bedtime routine around 4 months. At that age it was nothing more than bath, pajamas, nursing in bed. Now it's read books with daddy, walk up the stairs and smooch daddy in between the bars of the railing (cutest ever), pajamas, nursing and a song, back rub in crib, cry alone until all hope is extinguished, fall asleep. But, my kid has never gone to sleep quickly or easily and he's never slept though the night, so what do I know?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm 
Semen Strong

A lot more than me! We just hang out in her playroom as she cycles between exhilaration and despair and then go to bed where she nurse and nurse and nurse until she falls asleep. The Walter smooching is heart-melty! That little guy is the cutest. If I had a Walter to smooch, I'd never let him sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:18 pm 

I tried a wind-down routine at about four months, which was pajamas, books, listen to soothing music and nurse but it didn't work for us. Like I said, I would get frustrated that she would rarely go to sleep after all that. It just seemed pointless to spend an hour getting ready for something that didn't happen. Now I just try to nurse in a quiet place and even that gets old when she doesn't go down until late.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor didn't respond to a winding down routine til he was pretty old. Like almost 2? He didn't have scheduled naps til around then either.

The Magician already has a winding down routine for his big afternoon (he really just gets dragged through E's pre-nap routine of snack, bubble bath, lotion, books in bed, sleep, but it works really well for him) and he takes (loosely) scheduled naps too. He just naturally falls into that mythical 2-3-4 rhythm. Why? I have no idea. Different things work for different kids, is all I'm saying.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I think a routine is helpful. In my limited experience babies and kids like predictability. But for the first year, keep it really basic. Sing twinkle twinkle while you put on pajamas every night before you nurse in bed, and voila! that becomes a cue that nursing is coming next and it's time to wind down. I will warn you that doing the same thing every night gets really, really boring, but I'd rather be bored than angry or stressed out because bedtime is chaotic. I also try to take the long view and remind myself how much I will miss getting to hold and snuggle him every evening when he is older.

The first year+ can feel thankless, and it can seem like they are not responding to or even noticing the new routine. But it's amazing now that my kid walks and quasi-talks how invested he is in the routine. If I let him get down and walk around after his pjs are on, he goes right over to the rocker and gets the boppy. He requests songs. And tonight I realized he knows the word pajamas (jajazz)! So I feel like all the time I put into bedtime continuity is paying off. Even though it takes a while and he doesn't always go to sleep quickly, at least our evenings are calm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for sharing that C&S! It makes me feel a lot better. I don't seem to be able to do anything to speed up the process. Its always about 3 hours long (and I know I am lucky that its not all evening and that once she is out, she is out), but I wish it wasn't such a struggle. I wish I could ease her into it, for her sake as well as mine, but she is a sleepfighting ninja. Also, I would be mega-sad if she wasn't supersnuggly at 2, which I guess is going to happen.

ETA: jajazz!!!! I will try that!

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We gave up on a routine. Everything makes her more awake. We wait till she is obviously sleepy then rush to bed with a bottle and cuddle/feed/shush until she's out. Takes 5-10 minutes and happens at different times everyday. And I also am not keen on really scheduling, I want to do whatever, whenever. I have no problem with her sleeping through errands, playdates, car rides, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next