| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's talk about carseats!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We bought a convertible carseat but it just barely fits in our car rear facing. Grey can still, just barely fit in his infant seat, is there a size in the middle? The convertible only fits if the front passenger seat is all the way forward, straight up. He is almost 9months, I know at one they can face forward, but the AAP recommends they rear face until 2. I can ride in the backseat u til he is one and we can forward face but I really don't want to limit our ability to go places with friends until he is 2. What say you, ppk?

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about carseats!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I hear you! We have a Toyota Corolla, and there is pretty much no way anyone else can fit in our car.

It makes me dream, shamefully, of a giant SUV. With one bench for the dog and one for the kid and space for friends and groceries <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have a car seat question! Do we really need an infant seat? A friend is giving us a really nice car seat that's supposed to work from birth until 2 years old. She said she never saw the need for the kind of seat you can take out of the car, but everyone with a baby seems to have those. Obviously I know nothing about this!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think it's mostly a convenience issue and not a safety one. While we don't carry the Magician around in his infant seat, it is really nice to be able to pop it in and out of the car. It means if he falls asleep in it, we don't have to take him out of it to bring him inside, which means he stays asleep. And since he forking hates the car, I sometimes get him buckled into the seat indoors, rock him to sleep there, then put him in the car.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

i would just check with your hospital to see what they want to see to let you take Babymooo home. Ours wanted to see a car-seat with extra cushioning for NBs.

I agree with C&S that it is more convenience than safety. I think Littlebird posted that they started off with the convertible (rear facing) and didn't get an infant car seat, so you're definitely not alone. That said, I did feel better bringing Leela home in the infant seat with the newborn adapter, because she looked so tiny, but you're more familiar with babies than I am, so you might not be as terrified as we were driving home that first time!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love having the infant carseat. We just pop it out and put it on a car seat frame stroller and we are good to go!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

One thing I didn't think about with car seats is that if you live somewhere hot and leave your car seat in the car, it's going to get waaaay too hot to pop the baby back in. Discovered that on our first 90 degree day in TX. :( I had such high hopes for babywearing allowing me to not have to lug the heavy seat around!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:50 pm 
Semen Strong

mandycoot wrote:
One thing I didn't think about with car seats is that if you live somewhere hot and leave your car seat in the car, it's going to get waaaay too hot to pop the baby back in. Discovered that on our first 90 degree day in TX. :( I had such high hopes for babywearing allowing me to not have to lug the heavy seat around!

Mandycoot, so what do you do? We have a dark blue car that turns into an oven in the summer. Do you put the baby in and then turn up the AC?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, the infant seat is amazing when he would fall asleep and we could just bring him in the house or restaurant and could rock him if he started waking up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:13 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Thanks, everyone! This is very helpful. I figured the infant seat was mostly about convenience but I wasn't sure how convenient it actually is. I hadn't thought about summer heat, either. I'm planning a home birth so I'm not really concerned about what the hospital wants, but of course we'll be prepared with a car seat in case we have to go.

Tofulish wrote:
you're more familiar with babies than I am, so you might not be as terrified as we were driving home that first time!

Noooo! I know nothing about babies beyond how to get them out of vaginas!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:52 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I found the bulkiness and weight of the infant seat outweighed its convenience for the most part. I found it easier to just take the baby out and carry or wear them. But, my kids go right back to sleep when I do that, which may not be the case for all. And the seat is definitely convenient if you go somewhere where you'll want to put down the baby.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:12 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

sofrito wrote:
I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I found the bulkiness and weight of the infant seat outweighed its convenience for the most part. I found it easier to just take the baby out and carry or wear them. But, my kids go right back to sleep when I do that, which may not be the case for all. And the seat is definitely convenient if you go somewhere where you'll want to put down the baby.

This is what I thought before actually having wolverine. We got a convertible and planned to use that only since it is 5-65lbs. My cousin ended up getting us a infant seat and I am glad we had it. My kid hated the moby when he was little. If I took him out of his seat and tried to carry him in it he most certainly wouldnt fall back asleep. But that is just my kid. The infant seat is super bulky and I swear adds 50lbs to carrying around a kid but I am glad we have it even though I sort of hate it. Carrying him to and from the house is great. If he falls asleep I can just bring him inside sleeping. I can get him all buckled and ready inside and make sure the straps are tight in the comfort of the house if it is raining or something. I can just pop it onto a carriage at the grocery store and he just chills out riding around looking at everything, sometimes even falls asleep while shopping. In the ergo while shopping he is much more wiggly and it is harder to get stuff done efficently. But then again, that is just my kid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

I had the same debate as all of you, and before Vi was born I envisioned myself as a babywearing fiend, popping her out of her carseat to cheerfully ride around and sleep in the ergo... and sooometimes we do that. But the Ergo doesn't really fit on my husband (he's 6'5) and there was a period where V was too big for the infant insert but too small to use the ergo without it. We have other slings and wraps but while the wrap worked for the first couple of months, we haven't had great success with other ones for being out and about.

Well, I love the infant seat. We don't often leave it in the car, so it doesn't get hot or cold inside that. When we go to a restaurant we can take it out and just set it on a chair (mind the safety), or certain high chairs can be turned over to create a place to put the infant seat. It's really nice for when they're too small for a restaurant high chair but still want to be up looking at everybody. Or if you're lucky (esp. the first 4 months) they'll just sleep through your meal.

Also, we got the infant seat adaptor for our BOB stroller and that has allowed us to put her in the stroller for runs or walks, where she'll usually fall asleep after a few minutes. Since we don't have a crib and she wouldn't sleep in one anyway, for the last month or so the car seat has been one of very few safe places to put her so she'll sleep. I sometimes even put her in it when I need to take a shower (after about 6 months she started getting too mobile to just leave on the floor with her tummy time mat).

When I'm grocery shopping and don't need much, I'll throw the infant seat inside the cart (not on it, which isn't safe, I put the whole baby bucket inside the large part of the shopping cart) and don't have to worry about unstrapping her, putting her grocery cart liner down, etc. This was nice for that period where she's been still on the small side to ride in the seat in the cart, but was somewhere between the infant seat and nothing in the ergo.

The past few days we've brought the ergo back out, though, and it's worked well for us. Still, I really get a ton of use out of our Chicco 30 that I wouldn't have from a convertible seat.

And Tofulish: we were you 2 months ago! I was determined not to get a giant SUV! Aaaand now I have a GMC Terrain but it is SO SPACIOUS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

annak wrote:
When I'm grocery shopping and don't need much, I'll throw the infant seat inside the cart (not on it, which isn't safe, I put the whole baby bucket inside the large part of the shopping cart)

Why isn't it safe? I have never heard that. My seat actually attaches to the seat on the carts. Like locks and need to press the back handle to get it off. I thought it would be safe since I see everyone else doing it. I would think it would be more unsafe to put it in the cart where it can move around in a large metal area.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

If your convertible means you have to push your seat all the way forward I would return it and shop around for something that fits your car.

We have a Honda Fit (sub-compact) with two carseats in there, one rear facing, one front facing. We are able to have the front seats comfortably pushed back. We have Cosco Scenera's in there ($40, top rated). In the other car we have a Britax of some kind. The nice thing about Britax is that you can brace them against the front seat, which gives you more leverage. But they're hella expensive, and in my opinion not even slightly worth it, but might be to you if they fit your car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

weebum wrote:
If your convertible means you have to push your seat all the way forward I would return it and shop around for something that fits your car.

We have a Honda Fit (sub-compact) with two carseats in there, one rear facing, one front facing. We are able to have the front seats comfortably pushed back. We have Cosco Scenera's in there ($40, top rated). In the other car we have a Britax of some kind. The nice thing about Britax is that you can brace them against the front seat, which gives you more leverage. But they're hella expensive, and in my opinion not even slightly worth it, but might be to you if they fit your car.

We have a Chevy sonic, which is probably the same size as the fit. Could you find out which Britax? I will look at the Cosco one as well. I liked the one I got because it also can be used as a booster seat later and it folds in half for traveling, which we do a lot of.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annak wrote:

Also, we got the infant seat adaptor for our BOB stroller and that has allowed us to put her in the stroller for runs or walks, where she'll usually fall asleep after a few minutes. Since we don't have a crib and she wouldn't sleep in one anyway, for the last month or so the car seat has been one of very few safe places to put her so she'll sleep. I sometimes even put her in it when I need to take a shower (after about 6 months she started getting too mobile to just leave on the floor with her tummy time mat).

How old did you wait to run with the Bob? I have the same setup (Chicco 30 with adaptor) but I was waiting until she could sit up in the stroller without it to run. My husband is dying to run with her! I caught him strapping her in the stroller without the car seat the other day and he said he was letting her practice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:17 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

littlebear wrote:
weebum wrote:

We have a Chevy sonic, which is probably the same size as the fit. Could you find out which Britax? I will look at the Cosco one as well. I liked the one I got because it also can be used as a booster seat later and it folds in half for traveling, which we do a lot of.

We have the Roundabout 50 (just checked!). That one is in the Subaru though, so I'm not sure of how it would fit in the Fit (har har). Since you can brace it, you could probably make it work.

My carseat installation checker at the fire station said to avoid convertible seats that can be used as boosters because as boosters they are inferior. Not sure if he had any idea what he was talking about though!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We are looking into convertible seats now, because the infant seat we have is a preemie seat that only goes up to 20 lbs. Lu is almost 18 pounds now, so we have to work fast! I do want to try and keep him rear facing until age 2 if possible, because he is pretty small and short. I am a little worried about losing the convenient infant seat. Before we go somewhere, I can just strap him into his seat, hand him a toy and finish getting our stuff ready for the day, or finish getting myself ready. Without that seat, I will have to put him in his crib or play yard, which he hates. But I guess we both have to grow up sometime?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Butternut wrote:
annak wrote:

How old did you wait to run with the Bob? I have the same setup (Chicco 30 with adaptor) but I was waiting until she could sit up in the stroller without it to run. My husband is dying to run with her! I caught him strapping her in the stroller without the car seat the other day and he said he was letting her practice.

I've always heard 6months

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think technically you're not supposed to use the infant seat/adaptor for running at all according to the manual. Since we don't really take her on runs that are much quicker than walking (I am slooooooow still), I use my judgment and make sure the seat is well-restrained.

As far as safety of infant seats atop carts goes, here's a link: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=94954 I think the issue is that the cart becomes very top heavy. I think you need to use your judgment.. I see a lot of older kids running around and not really looking where they're going when I shop, so I am a little wary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mandycoot wrote:

That's why I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Helper-Car ... 333&sr=8-9

I haven't used it yet, but I am hoping it will take care of that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm with sofrito. Westley never had an infant seat, but the little girl I nannied for did, and I HATED that thing! It was just so awkward to carry around, especially with a toddler and diaper bag (and sore back) to manage as well.

What I love most about our convertible seat is kind of silly: we bought it before Westley was born, and then we were DONE looking at car seats! The "buy it once, use it forever" mode of spending doesn't usually work with babies and little ones, so I was glad to have the car seat thing out of the way.

However, if a convertible seat doesn't fit in your car, there's no point in purchasing one!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kimba wrote:
mandycoot wrote:

That's why I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Helper-Car ... 333&sr=8-9

I haven't used it yet, but I am hoping it will take care of that problem.

I wonder if that actually helps? We have to cool down the car before we let the kids get in. Silas' seat gets insanely hot. We're already been needing to pre-cool for about a month, not looking forward to August.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

tank wrote:
annak wrote:
When I'm grocery shopping and don't need much, I'll throw the infant seat inside the cart (not on it, which isn't safe, I put the whole baby bucket inside the large part of the shopping cart)

Why isn't it safe? I have never heard that. My seat actually attaches to the seat on the carts. Like locks and need to press the back handle to get it off. I thought it would be safe since I see everyone else doing it. I would think it would be more unsafe to put it in the cart where it can move around in a large metal area.

What brand seat do you have? I've never seen one that attaches to the cart like that. Our's definitely didn't attach and I also never found a cart that I could put the seat in the back like annak does. I've seen seats almost fall off the top of carts and have had friends actually see the seats with the baby in it fall off the top of the cart! Not safe at all.