| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:13 am 
Semen Strong

I know many of us are looking for ideas, so I thought we could have a thread of what we have made for the kidlets, and notes about what went over well.

I made Leela-sized wraps for dinner last night, with the Trader Joe's flax tortilla, Sabra olive hummus, TJ's organic pea shoots and some red bell pepper (cut up). She really liked everything, and surprisingly didn't have a hard time with the pea shoots like she does with straight up salad.

Breakfast this morning was blueberries and banana whizzed together for extra sweetness and Cascadian Os. It was received okay, but she did leave a lot and it was pretty messy.

Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

For breakfast I made the dude a cup of plain soy yogurt (it's already pretty sweet) with blueberries, and a piece of millet bread toasted with trader joe's fake cream cheese. And soy milk. Usually he will devour all those things, but today he just wanted to dip the toast in the yogurt and try to feed it to me, but yuck.

At the beach he ate a happy tots pouch of spinach, apple and something else and some trader joe's multigrain crackers. And sand.

On the way home from the beach we stopped for a smoothie: strawberries, bananas, spinach, almond milk. He drank maybe 8 ounces.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Great idea! We are traveling so way more processed food than I would like! Pinko had some great rice yogurt plum organic snacks! I am on the lookout for them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Totally watching this thread! I am in charge of feeding 15-month old twins 32 hours a week and they're not vegan but I end up feeding them mostly vegan, mostly because that way we can eat the same thing. Of course the two of them rarely like the same foods, so that's fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor had whole grain toast with EB and nooch, a blueberry soy yogurt, and 2 small apricots for breakfast. The Magician ate some of a very soft apricot.

E will probably have leftover baba ganoush with veggies for lunch. He's having pistachios for snack right now and will almost definitely have more stone fruit.

It's solipsistnation's birthday today so we're making him a special dad-pleasing dinner: homemade ribz with BBQ sauce (his favorite recipe that's mostly ketchup) and corn on the cob. E will likely eat some of both.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Peanut butter on toast (home made sourdough with linseed- am domestic goddess evidently!), lunch of seitan sausage sandwich which they didn't like so just loads of fruit- satsuma, banana, apple... Supper of tvp meatballs with tomato sauce, which eldest (7) and youngest (1) liked but middlest only liked the crispy bits. And pasta.

We don't usually have so much faux meat but it panned out like that today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Last night veggie dumplings were a big hit when we went out to eat. She had garlic breath afterwards! Today I made baked falafel which she didn't eat at lunch but loved at dinner. Also steamed sweet potato was loved and smeared. I made chilled asparagus with a light dressing and she has been excited when I give her some the past couple meals. The spears are easy to hold and chew.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Watermelon: yes! Tofu pup, potato salad, corn, and roll: no!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Home-made guac on a tortilla, with blackbeans, a little nooch, and salad for lunch and Ezekial toast with hummus and carrots and celery for dinner. She liked her dinner so much she had a piece of celery in each hand and was eating with her mouth flat against the tray. It was hilarious.

Also, we noticed that the Trader Joes tortillas without preservatives go bad so fast, while we still have a bag of tortillas (marked vegan and organic) packed on March 15, 2011 that seems fine (we tossed it anyway). Its kind of scary how effective preservatives are at killing life forms.

eta: thanks for the reminder about water melon! That went over really well at a bbq we were at, and I need to buy more!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Great thread! It's inspiring me to get more creative because I feel like we are in a food rut. For dinner, lentil sloppy joes, corn on the cob, and cantaloupe. Not much was eaten by L, but we loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

some O's for breakfast: most of them went on the floor
sweet potato fries for lunch: loved loved loved
oranges, greenbeans and applesauce in a pouch for dinner out: loved oranges, had trouble eating the greenbeans and sucked the applesauce pouch down really fast and tried to eat the pouch

this thread is going to make me feel boring about what I give him. I need more ideas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mini baked samosas with sweet potato and peas inside... He squeezed out most of the stuffing after biting off the first corner... and ate the shell (I think there was still a fair bit of filling inside!).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:36 am 
Semen Strong

Whoa! That sounds great! What wrapper do you use?

We had avocado and nooch toast for breakfast with a side of cucumber and banana for breakfast and are now ikn the park eating a snack of red cabbage, carrot and more cucumber under the trees. I am contemplating going to the falafel place for lunch and we have a vegan potluck for dinner, so things should be yummy and very diverse for the remainder of the day.

I read Guineapig's fb status and now I want to make fresh hummus on veggie rounds for her!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:59 am 
Chip Strong

Great thread idea! Nothing too exciting so far today. Oatmeal pancakes for breakfast. Actually, it's a little exciting because Ada won't eat oatmeal but these were basically oatmeal in pancake form so she ate them. I can put anything in pancake form and she will eat it. She wouldn't eat any fruit. She ate part of a banana zucchini muffin and some coconut yogurt before her nap. I'm going to try veggie sushi for lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:04 pm 
Semen Strong

How do you make oatmeal into pancakes? That sounds so good!

Its so funny how our contexts inform what is "good" or "bad." I told my husband about the TJ's tortillas going bad and he came home proudly bearing tortillas that go bad in Jan 2013! They are full of preservatives and sugar, but hey at least they last forever! They'll be our back ups.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm 
Chip Strong

They were the "Eat your oatmeal pancakes" from Vegan Lunch Box. It uses oat flour (I just food processed some oats to make the flour).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:14 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

She tried a few bites of my tofu scramble... and wanted more (it was a little spicy, I'm surprised!) I actually made it for myself, but wanted to share anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tzipi had her regular, oatmeal with soymilk for breakfast. she then had a piece of pumpernickel bread with jam. then some cheerios. for lunch she had some veggie broth with chunks of tofu in it... so blah, but she loves it, and some guac (really just mushed avocado with lemon juice and salt) and tortilla chips, and rejected the tomato i was eating with my guac, as well as the soy cheese on my sandwich. i think she had some cherries too, but wasn't that into them today. at the pool she stole her friend's snack of blueberries, bananas and crackers. we had a freezie on the way home, she had another bowl of cheerios with soymilk and now she's sleeping. kind of at a loss for supper. she really needs some more protein and fat, but it's so hot and gross, i really just want to make a salad and call it a day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Can I play even though I don't really have an eating baby yet? My 7 year-old is vegan so I'll use her.

A. (the baby) is just having some avocado and banana today for lunch/snack. We just give her things to taste a few times a day. O. (the 7 year-old) had rice cereal with rice milk for breakfast. For her lunch I packed spagetti with hemp protien powder and a teeny bit of organic 100% pure maple syrup in the sauce to hide the hemp powder taste (she really dislikes it), organic celery slices and organic baby carrots. She also has a clementine, corn chips and green olives for snack.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was kind of thinking it would be nice to see what the older kids were eating too. Not that 7 is old! Keep sharing! Carlos is still on breast milk only, but we are going to start food at the end of the month! I am really excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela loved the pesto from Veganomicon and green garbanzo hummus at the potluck. By the end she was covered in a combination. It was kind of hilarious.

I am going to have to start making the pesto, and learn how to make good hummus. I swear, I should have to give back my V-card if I can't make good hummus!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tzipi had more soup for dinner. i chopped up a celery, carrot and half a thing of tofu, threw it in a pot with garlic, a handful of orzo and some veggie broth. she nommed it all up... man that kid loves soup. but also, not even two months ago she would have tossed the whole thing on the ground because of the pieces of celery and carrot. my kid is eating (some, very small amounts of) veggies!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I like this thread!

For breakfast Kai had his regular baby oatmeal swirled with fruit. Lunch was pumpernickel bread spread with hummus & 1/2 an avocado.

Tonight for dinner he had 1/2 a vcon black bean burger, brown rice with eb & a bit of salt, and some corn. Then a homemade 100% berry fruit juice + blueberries ice pop for dessert (I just poured some juice in a mold with whole fresh berries then froze).

The amazing thing is this was the 3rd night for the burgers. On Wed he didn't eat it, then last night he let it sit in front of him for a bit while I kept telling him he'd eaten it before and liked it, so then he FINALLY ate some and liked it. Then tonight he ate the whole thing happily. So it really is true if you just keep offering them something eventually hopefully they'll like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Pesto is one of the Emperor's favorite foods... He does not care what's in it or what it's on, he loves it.

Today he refused to eat pretty much anything he was offered other than stone fruit and field roast hot dogs. I offered him all sorts of other things throughout the day but yeah. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

I don't think I gave the baby anything solid today. As he really still just plays, I don't give him stuff at every meal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
tzipi had more soup for dinner. i chopped up a celery, carrot and half a thing of tofu, threw it in a pot with garlic, a handful of orzo and some veggie broth. she nommed it all up... man that kid loves soup. but also, not even two months ago she would have tossed the whole thing on the ground because of the pieces of celery and carrot. my kid is eating (some, very small amounts of) veggies!

I'm kinda envious! Soup is the anti-Emperor. It's almost as bad as trying to get him to eat beans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next