| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Aubade, your food sounds amazing, and its so smart to match up his meals with what the school is serving! I wish I ate as well as Kai!

Leela really liked chickpea fries today. Kind of thinking about trying this: http://www.veganricha.com/2013/02/chick ... nfree.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

We just got these little chia seed fruit pouch things that are really tasty. Since guineapiglet never had purees she's not really hip to the etiquette of eating out of the little pouches so, inevitably, after she eats 1/2 she gets the bright idea that she should turn it over and watch it drip out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Aubade, your food sounds amazing, and its so smart to match up his meals with what the school is serving! I wish I ate as well as Kai!

Leela really liked chickpea fries today. Kind of thinking about trying this: http://www.veganricha.com/2013/02/chick ... nfree.html

We tried this recipe and it came out really good. I used sweet potato and just threw in my own spices since I can never find the spices Richa uses in stores or online. I have come to believe she lives on a magical spice island with rare spices at her disposal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the feedback! I am hoping I can finally make chickpea flour taste good at home - generally I love it at restaurants and it tastes terrible in my recipes, so Audrey suggested that I am not cooking it enough. The only recipe I like with chickpea flour at home is the Vcon crepes

And L doesn't really get the pouches either. Last time we had them she used them to play "flea treating the dog."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks ladies! Guineapig, I'll let you know how the chia goes.

I made the lentil balls tonight from the Vegan Lunch Box recipe. I really did not think they would hold together but it worked great! I just tasted one now and it is pretty good. I hope he likes it!

Those chickpea fries look delicious too. Butternut squash is one of the few veggies kai will eat, so he may really like those.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

This is the best thread! I totally forgot about the Vegan Lunch Box blog, I used to read it back when I was pretty sure we'd never have human kids :P

Yesterday BabyEnchilada (18 months) ate:
breakfast: curry tofu (just sauteed cubes with curry powder and turmeric), tangerine, a scoop of peanut butter, half slice of toast with coconut oil and nooch, almond milk
lunch: green smoothie (banana, blueberry, spinach, almond milk), leftover soba with peanut sauce, broccoli, and cabbage
snack: chickpeas, green beans, and some puffs
dinner: quinoa salad with black beans, corn, salsa, and avocado, soy milk, and a coconut chocolate chip cookie.

This baby eats so much! He's super active, so I guess he needs all that fuel, but sometimes I'm like, "seriously?!?" when he signs more at me, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well the chia packets were a big hit. He's eaten his oatmeal every single day since we started putting it in. (knock on wood!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:26 pm 
Inflexitarian

Aubade wrote:
Well the chia packets were a big hit. He's eaten his oatmeal every single day since we started putting it in. (knock on wood!)

Yay!

Oatmeal is guineapiglet's favorite so I've been slowly adding more and more stuff to it to give it as much bang for it's nutritional buck as possible. As of today, I think I've compeltely gone overboard but she loved it, ate it all and then asked for seconds. She was also crazy hungry today and ate half the fridge for breakfast but in her oatmeal I put:

hemp hearts
cinnamon
brown rice protein
ground flax seed
red quinoa
raisins

She ended up eating some broccoli with her breakfast and dragged it through the bits of oatmeal that were left in the bowl before eating it so I guess this combo is a winner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow that's the most ultra healthy bowl of oatmeal I've ever heard of! Kai really likes those hemp hearts. I usually sprinkle them on whenever he has something with hummus, like roll-ups or rice cakes, to add some extra nutrition.

A couple weeks ago I gave Kai the Field Roast sundried tomato slices, and like a miracle he actually ate it! I'm so happy there is some kind of soy-free protein-filled thing I can make into a sandwich without having to make something from scratch.

He did pick at it a little though, so today I'm going to attempt mini-calzones with it in an effort to hide it enough so he doesn't pick. I figure I'll dice the slices into little pieces, then buy some pizza dough from the local pizza place. I have some almond "ricotta" I made yesterday, and some nooch "parm". So I'll mix the slices, ricotta & parm together, dollop that onto the pizza dough and top with some mozarella daiya. Then put another layer of pizza dough on top and crimp it with this pampered chef cut n seal thing, so it will be like round mini calzones. I hope he likes them!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

GuineaPig wrote:
Aubade wrote:

Yay!

Oatmeal is guineapiglet's favorite so I've been slowly adding more and more stuff to it to give it as much bang for it's nutritional buck as possible. As of today, I think I've compeltely gone overboard but she loved it, ate it all and then asked for seconds. She was also crazy hungry today and ate half the fridge for breakfast but in her oatmeal I put:

hemp hearts
cinnamon
brown rice protein
ground flax seed
red quinoa
raisins

She ended up eating some broccoli with her breakfast and dragged it through the bits of oatmeal that were left in the bowl before eating it so I guess this combo is a winner.

Yeah, we put a lot of stuff in our oatmeal and smoothies like that. To add to your list, I like to put in peanut butter and yogurt.

So my partner started adding chia seeds last week. He says he added a teaspoon, but I think it was a tablespoon, and now he refuses to give her chia seeds anymore because he said it gave her (really nasty and more frequent) bad poops. I am dubious, but I don't change the diapers in the daytime so what do I know? Anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We haven't noticed any change in Kai's poops since giving him the chia. The packets I bought are .34 oz, which google tells me is .7 tbsp, and we give him half a packet a day. So I guess it is around 1/3 tbsp. According to the nutritional label, that's 1 extra gram of protein and 50% dv (adult) omega 3 ALA (plus a little calcium, iron & b vitamins).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

YES! The calzones were a huge hit. I think I see a lot of these in our future.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Those sound so good! Yum!

We made Vegan Richa's jalfrezi (sans chili) and served it over quinoa and its a hit. With added chickpeas for protein.
http://www.veganricha.com/2013/02/veget ... eggie.html

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ack we seem to have messed up a little with respect to bread. When D first started getting interested in sandwiches, against my better judgment H bought some supermarket "whole wheat" bread. I'm pretty sure it's vegan but it has a long ingredient list and probably not much nutrition. Fine, it wasn't a big deal because she didn't eat it very often and not every morsel she eats has to be perfectly nutritious.
But now she's wanting sandwiches a few days a week and I really want her to eat healthier bread...so I went ahead and made a great recipe for a soft whole wheat bread, I even used white whole wheat. Made 2 loaves, we devoured most of one fresh from the oven one night and then I sliced and froze the other loaf for her sandwiches. And yep, now she doesn't like it when we try to give her sandwiches with it, and while she doesn't know the term, I think "too healthy-tasting" is the problem. I shoulda insisted on like Ezekiel bread from the get-go!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 pm 
Semen Strong

We just started using the Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheatberry which is quite high in protein, but has the color and sweetness (from dates) and the softness that may be closer to the whole wheat she likes, if you'd like to try that....

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made pasta salad with chickpeas and other goodies and it was a big hit with the boys. Beetroot will eat just about anything, but wee Raygold has always been pickier, so it was great to see him digging in and playing "bisque stole my chickpea" with Beet. "Hey, Crabby, I bisque stole Beet's chickpea!"

(I think technically once kids turn 3 they are no longer toddlers, so this may be my last post until Vax starts solids.) ;D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:52 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I really feel like a bad parent when I see the meals you all prepare for your kids. It's just that in the Netherlands we are really used to eating bread a lot, so usually my daughter has a slice of bread for breakfast and for lunch as well. Maybe some fruit on the side but that's about it. Not really healthy I'm afraid.
The oatmeal stuff sounds really good, I should try that! Does any of you have a nice recipe, or do you just mix up a lot of ingrediënts with water/soymilk?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kai ate black bean brownies last night! Muhahaha. Sneaky healthy bean source. He liked them so much he went back for seconds.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am 
Tofu Pup

Maks (16 months) is having the ppk's Olive and Lentil burger for lunch with Israeli Couscous and steamed veggies. The olive and lentil veggie burger is his favorite food ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Bump! (I love this thread. It always gives me ideas for my little guys.)

Z (1yo) has such a huge appetite! (He sometimes eats more than his 5yo brother, who is a pretty light eater.) Yesterday he had:
-yogurt for breakfast, as well as a bit of cereal
-part of an apple
-mini-pita with hummus, tofurky, and cucumber
-two bowls of mac'n'nooch and half a kiwi
As well as lots of milk (breastmilk) and at least one other snack during the day. It's such a change, since his brother is a really light, very picky eater (though improving!), and Z can eat anything all day long. Just need to offer more veggies, as now I'm noticing his day was really low on those!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This is what counts as an amazingly good eating day in our house:
breakfast: oatmeal (1/6 cup dry, ate the whole thing willingly - this is an amazing breakfast for her! I can almost never get her to eat breakfast.)
lunch: dry O's (only thing willing to eat after being offered pasta, peas, tofu, fruit, pb&j)
snack over the course of a couple hours starting at home, ending poolside: about a pint of organic strawberries, a Flavor-Ice squished up in a little prep bowl eaten by spoon/slurping, a few black beans, almost an entire bag of original Sun-Chips
dinner: veggie-loaded cheese-free pizza from the pizzeria, which she DEMANDED we go to for dinner. Ate a whole piece plus some of our crusts!

About a quart of unsweetened soy milk throughout the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm nannying two kids full-time this summer and I feel like we're eating so much worse than usual! I was telling MrEnchiladas how guilty I feel about it, and he literally laughed in my face because, "you feel bad about whole wheat organic snacks?!? That's not real junk food!" It looks better when I write it out like this! Thanks PPK!

Breakfast: banana, granola with rice milk, some graham crackers
Lunch: blueberries and grapes, pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and romaine (this was the vegetarian option at free park lunch - we put the chocolate milk and cheese stick in the "no thank you box")
Snack: crackers with mustard, Silk berry soymilk
Dinner: couscous and garbanzo beans with sauteed balsamicy zucchini and lobster mushrooms. I had to give him half of my veggies because he loved them so much! And we shared a Tempt chocolate icecream bar. Those things are GOOD!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:46 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hey I have a popsicle question! I bought these molds:
http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Star-Ice-M ... icle+molds
but I dunno, I must have done something wrong because we weren't able to get a single one free of the mold. The stick just pulled right out. We did run em under warm water, let em sit a bit etc, all the usual things people tell you to do. So I came to the conclusion that the mixture I used was too thick. It was just frozen bananas mixed with a teeny bit of pineapple juice. Do you think that might have been the culprit? And what's your favorite mixture to make popsicles of, so I can try again next week?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Maker-Molds-Free- ... pd_sbs_k_2

So I'm no help with the stick issue. We like anything with banana, berries, and mango. I feel like you have to have a really sweet fruit like mango or pineapple in the mix if you don't add a sweetener or sweet juice, but other than that I follow no rules.

We recently got that 365 vegan smoothies book, so we've been branching out and doing other stuff. She really like the watermelon one I did last week. It had watermelon, lime juice, banana, and a little bit of maple syrup. We tried one today that was just okay. It was a little bit grassy but she ate it: kale, banana, mango, orange, and soy milk.

Next I want to do one with cacao powder and maybe avocado? Maybe almond butter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've had good luck with banana, almond milk, cocoa powder, and peanut butter. I think some fat helps it freeze well?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next