| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Do the sticks have holes in them? If not, that's probably why they were slipping out. If they do have holes, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been really busy and trying to get my partner more in charge of cooking so I haven't been cooking much at all lately.

Cooler temps and a long weekend got me back in the kitchen. I made a rice and squash casserole from cookin crunk that was super easy and babynut loved it. I still have summer squash coming out of my ears from my CSA so that was helpful to get rid of the rest of it this week. I served that with BBQ seitan and steamed broccoli. I sprinkled the broccoli with nooch and she kept begging, "more! More!" She was trying to scoop up nooch and eat it plain. Strange. We had tofu scramble for breakfast and she actually ate the veggies along with the tofu, which sometimes doesn't happen. Lately she's really just wanted plain tofu so it was good to see her eat something with more flavor.

Now I've got a double batch of refried pinto beans and rice on the stove. She can eat that for lunch several days this week I hope. Trying to motivate myself to make some chickpea cutlets for later in the week but I might be done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So Vax started eating like crazy this week (he didn't want to eat before). I like to do baby-led weaning, but he doesn't totally have the hang of chewing, but still (very obviously) really really wants to eat, so I've been making him 2 bowls of oatmeal and parsley (ground to powder in my coffee grinder) with mashed banana and spirulina. He makes these funny gravelly excited honking noises when I feed him because he is SO excited about eating. I also gave him some pear and avocado earlier in the week, but we're out of those and not shopping again until Tuesday, so it will be mostly the porridge and toast fingers until then.
I do have a rutabaga/swede that I am going to bake tomorrow, so I can let him try to feed himself some, too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay Vax! Updates please! How are you doing? How are Beetie and Raygold? We have missed you!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awww! We're fine. I've been writing and homeschooling every morning instead of playing on the internet, which is why I haven't been around much. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For dinner today, Vax had chana dahl with carrots and onion. He liked it so much, I set some more aside for him for tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For breakfast, Vax had oatmeal with mashed banana, homemade soya yoghurt, baby vitamin drops, and a pinch of spirulina and cinnamon. (Obviously, I am not in the single-ingredient introductory baby food camp.) I had a little taste and it was SO delicious. It tasted really rich and buttery. I wasn't expecting it to taste bad, but I didn't expect it to taste so nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 am 
Semen Strong

Those meals sound so yummy TCC! I can't believe Vax is eating already!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awwww, he's growing up so fast! Eating already?! (That oatmeal combo is one of my standards, minus the spirulina which I don't have. So tasty!)

I'm glad to see this thread back on the first page. I needed some inspiration for cooking for my littlest guy. Lunch is the trickiest for us for some reason. Today was a mini grilled cheese (Daiya wedge) with apple. Usually we just have leftovers, but we didn't have any today!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

yeah bodhi we're stuck in a major lunch rut too! Sierra will eat almost anything but Dahlia is completely determined that lunch equals: pbj or Daiya grilled cheese (at least she'll eat it on good flourless sprouted bread I guess?), or crackers with pb or hummus, or ww pasta with eb, nooch and peas. Sometimes if we're lucky she'll agree to Gardein chkn nuggets but trying to give her anything else elicits tears and H - who gives her lunch 5 days a week - has given up. Even if its leftovers of something she liked at dinner! I guess routine is important to little tyrants.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, he'll eat quite a few different things, but when he doesn't want to eat something, he'll just clamp his mouth closed, shake his head, and grin smugly. It's adorable and annoying. I think it's got something to do with Christmas though - the kids got lots more treats than normal, and I think they're still slowly adjusting back to a normal amount.

Poor H, that sounds really rough. It's weird how important routine can be to little ones. Funny that something tasty at dinner is not okay for lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

bodhi wrote:
Funny that something tasty at dinner is not okay for lunch.

We are so in this camp. She chows down at dinner but spurns the leftovers the next day, although sometimes with a 2-3 day break they come back into favor,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Pasta with peas and braised carrots! Those carrots were so good i hope he likes them. It is for lunch at the daycare today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofu pup, wheat bread with sunflower butter, peas/carrots/corn/Lima bean mix from freezer. Not too bad!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:40 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I am so glad that this thread is bumped up. I love this thread. My son is going to be three in one month and has become so picky!!! I complained that he was picky before but he is worse then ever! I also need some ideas for some new options for his lunch. You all have great ideas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a book called baby&toddler on the go, by Kim Laidlaw that has been really helpful. It's not veg*n, but easily veganized and the ideas for presentation and travel-friendliness are fantastic. We make pasta bites to put in my 5yo's lunch box and my 18mo likes them too. Lots of dips/veg, cute and easy wraps, etc. I'd definitely recommend borrowing it from your library if you can find it!

Today we had soup and bread, as well as banana bread from breakfast. He didn't like the soup though. :( I think we're going to try the monster mash shepherd's pie for dinner soon from the PPK blog (from Halloween!) to see if something cute/funny-looking will be more popular!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The other day I got lazy and picked up some deli food at whole foods. Not sure whether their recipes are the same everywhere, but the lemon tofu was a huge surprise hit with V - "more tossu peez?" was heard all through dinner. Served it with some fresh pineapple and seeds of change quinoa-brown rice pilaf for an effort-free but well-received meal. (She ate the strawberry out of the strawberry coconut kale salad, though, and left the rest, despite it being totally delicious)

Today she's basically been eating cereal so far, so nothing worth noting here.. I'll probably make "tossu" scramble for lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:25 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We sort of go through the same lunch stuff too. The no fails are almond butter and jelly on sprouted bread, hummus with crackers and carrots, curried chickpea sandwich, field roast frankfurters and baked sweet potato fries. Last week Ada ate an almond butter and jelly sandwich for at least five meals. This week miraculously none.

Breakfast today was an oatmeal pancake for Ada and half of a smoothie later in the morning. Alice gnawed on a chunk of banana, a couple of pieces of the oatmeal pancake, and she sucked on a piece of clementine for a bit.

Lunch for Ada was broccoli hummus, carrots, and crackers (Mary's Gone Crackers).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 pm 

Babynut randomly won't eat foods that she usually likes all the time. There is never a "sure thing." But mostly I've come to the conclusion that she will only really eat one big meal. It's either lunch or dinner, but not both. She picks around at one of them and doesn't eat much.

I made the mini corn dogs from vegan dad this week for lunches and she ate them! So did I. Yum. Tonight we had pad Thai from IDI.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, along with Vax's usual porridge breakfast, yesterday he had 4 mashed Brussel sprouts and today he had 8!!! I gave him 4 at first, but he saw me eating some and started wiggling his feet (he does that when he's excited), so I gave him some more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm 

tempeh meatballs and broccoli with tons of nooch (IDI but I baked them). More nooch please! More nooch please!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds yum! You've inspired me!

L loves nooch, so I'm hoping this is going to be a winner!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:34 pm 

If she won't eat them, more for you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

You all are so creative with your kids meals. I need to crack open more of my cookbooks and try some new things. Thanks for the inspiration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made bean loaf "cupcakes" on Mon. night. They were the recipe pasted below except with black beans, halved. I wasn't sure if he'd like it so I only made half of the recipe just in case. I spread Ketchup on top - which is so important - that layer of baked tomatoes is so yummy.

It filled 1/2 muffin tin (6 mini loaves) and I baked it for 25 min. My oven is on the cool side and they came out just perfect.

I topped them with mashed potatoes (peeled & chunked organic potatoes steamed w/ a little coarse salt, mashed with EB and a bit of the new So delicious almond plus unsweetened - which is so good) and sliced steamed baby carrots as "sprinkles".

He was intrigued, but took one taste of the "icing" and realized it was mashed potatoes and wasn't so interested anymore. He wouldn't eat it, even though me & my partner thought it was great. Finally after we'd cleaned up and he was sitting on the couch, I fed him bites and he ate 3/4 of one. I don't know why that helped. We don't do it often and I realize it isn't great- but at least I got him to eat something for dinner.

I took a pic but I can't seem to upload it where I want. Oh well.

Pinto Bean Loaf

3 c Pinto Beans, cooked/mashed
1 c Tomato sauce
1 c Bread crumbs, finely ground
1/4 c Minced onion
1/4 c Quick oatmeal
3 ts Egg replacer mixed with
4 tb Water, beat til frothy
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 c Ketchup or barbeque sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients, except catsup, in
a large bowl. Mix well. Turn into a non-stick loaf pan, 9-1/4 x 5-1/4 x 3,
and flatten.
Spread catsup or BBQ sauce over the top. Bake for 45 minutes. NOTE:
Makes a good sandwich spread when cold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next