| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That sounds good, aubade. I'm looking for more recipes that I can cook in muffin tins to make packing lunches easy. Babynut just started going longer days to her nursery school and now she eats lunch there. I don't want to send in anything too messy.

Tonight we had alphabet soup and sesame tofu from IDI and roasted Brussels sprouts (she ate one and chewed a second one, which she spit out). She was only eating the potatoes out of the soup but I got her to take several bites of different stuff by doing "cheers." This is my dorky way of getting her to take bites: I put the bite of the kind of food I want her to eat on my fork and then she gets a matching bite on her fork and we touch forks and say "cheers!" Maybe I'm setting her up for binge drinking but for now it's getting her to take more bites of veg. No problem getting her to eat that tofu though. She loves tofu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
If she won't eat them, more for you!

HAHAHA! I feel like all my postpartum weight struggles are summed up in that statement!

I love the "cheers" thing - Babynut is such an adorable little girl, and I can totally see the two of you doing that. Now I miss you both.

I was posting somewhere else about the food stuff with L and thought I'd share here to see what people think.

For the sitting at the table piece, we don't use a highchair, Leela can climb up or off her chair if she wants. We aim to get everything on, and everyone at, the table so that we can all sit down for about 15 minutes, and that is our dinner. We do a gratitude prayer, which takes us a few minutes (we just talk about what we are grateful for)- and then we talk about what we did that day. She eats what she wants to, and when she is done, she goes off. But B and I stay at the table and talk about our day, so then she wants to be with us, so she hangs out pretty close.

Re the food, we give her breakfast, lunch and dinner and then also just give her food sort of on demand (we distract a bit first and then give her the food if we don't get her onto something else). I wish we were able to feed her very healthy dinners and cut back on the snacks, but she tends to come back and ask for snacks throughout the day. I got the advice to only keep food snacks in the house that she could have at any time - so we have a ton of fruits and veggies, we will make her frozen banana ice-cream if she wants it, TJ's pea crackers, hummus, seaweed, etc and have a stash of frozen muffins and waffles and she can have those if she wants them, even though its not ideal. I just really don't want food to become an issue of contention. I won't make her a special meal (or we'd eat pancakes all day long), but I will make her avocado toast or cereal on request.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut your "cheers" sounds adorable!

Here is a pic of my "cupcake" - finally got it up in the right place.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Today I am going to make calzones for kai w/ premade pizza dough from our local pizza place. (so easy this way!)
I'll stuff them with almond "ricotta", diced field roast lentil sage slices, and mozarella daiya. Then we'll have sauce for dipping on the side.

I know he likes these so it should go down easy. I feel good because it has 3 kinds of protein in it (almonds, lentils & seitan).

Btw, he did eat his broccoli in TJs hummus dressing the other day. Wuhoo!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Those calzones sound good, aubade. I make the broccoli tofu calzones in vegan lunchbox on a regular basis (except I make 16 little ones rather than 8 big ones). They are relatively easy to make and I like that it gets her to eat veg and protein. They are perfect for lunches.

Today I made the fluffy pillow pancakes in IDI and those were a hit. Last time we had pancakes she wasn't in to it. She ate no lunch. Pick think she only had two bites of bagel. Tonight for dinner we had the pad Thai also from IDI. She ate some of everything (noodles, tofu, broccoli). I like one dish meals like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

tonight was taco night. I love taco night! it is a total throwback to what my mom used to make - way too processed but so good. Basically ortega meal - except i mix the taco spices into beans instead of meat. tonight we had the new shape "fiesta flats" - I liked them a lot since i always overstuff my tacos. so it was black eyed peas heated w/ taco spice, daiya, lettuce, tomatillo salsa, fresh sliced avocado and lipton spanish rice. i know the lipton is so bad but so good!! i don't think i ever made it for kai before tonight and i was so suprised when he kept asking for more and more! he had 3 servings of rice (and he usually hardly eats regular rice)! he didn't eat the beans so much but had all the avocado. i ended up eating his taco "boat" in addition to mine and now I'm so stuffed!

now i just need to find a recipe for how to make something that tastes just like Knorr/Lipton Spanish Rice but from scratch with no weird ingredients.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We had potato-spinach/kale soup. Super creamy and delicious with lots of baby spinach/kale. I rolled them up and cut them chiffonade so what was let after blending 80% of the soup wouldn't be too big and green for the boys. Z (18m) LOVED it, and Iz(5) thought it was okay. Z has had 3 bowls since we had it last night. (One at dinner, one when he woke up when I got home after work, and one for a mid-morning snack.) Weeee!

I think I'm going to make calzones soon. Maybe today or tomorrow. I have tomato sauce with Field Roast sausages in it to put in them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:53 am 
Semen Strong

Peanut noodles were a big hit! She even ate a bit of broccoli because the sauce was so good!

I would love to have more suggestions in this thread because I kind of need to get a better handle on feeding L. I am frustrated by how fast she changes her mind about what she wants - but she's a preschooler so of course that is normal :) The only stuff she really loves eating is simple carbs (pancakes, waffles, cookies, popcorn) and Earth Balance. She eats fruit happily, will almost always eat nooch and quinoa, but I wish I had a roster of simple meals that I knew she would eat.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:47 am 
Naked Under Apron

Vax is up to 3 meals a day. He is pretty incapable of feeding himself (whereas Raygold would NOT let anyone feed him and was really good at eating) and sometimes will hoard food in his mouth and then gag on it suddenly, but usually eats with lots of excitement and vigor -- no poker face for him -- his hands and feet wiggle when he knows he's going to be fed. So usually in the morning, he has a mashed banana with homemade soya yoghurt and a Wheetabix with apple juice. For lunch and/or dinner, he has a pureed version (he's not so good with chunky foods yet -- I try every few days) of whatever we've had. Yesterday it was cauliflower, black-eyed peas, and coconut milk -- I added a dab of sunflower oil, too, and it was like the best beandip ever. He was really into it. He also really likes it when I puree [mixed veggies with herbs and garlic] and add a dab of olive oil. And I give him oatmeal with spirulina as a snack or as another meal.
I can't wait until he can feed himself. I give him bread crusts or toast fingers to gnaw on and try to get him to feed himself other things, but I loathe wasting food, so I am mostly holding out until he's better at it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We usually do take-out on Fridays, rotating between veggie sushi (which my kid doesn't eat) or Indian. Tonight we are going to our favorite vegetarian Indian spot - Swagath Gourmet on Oak Tree Road in Iselin. I'm so excited because we haven't been in a while and Kai loves vada (little donuts) and dosa. I think it is just so cute he knows what dosas are and gets all excited about going to get his donuts too! Then there is an awesome grocery next door that sells vegan Kaju Katli (cashew fudge) which he also loves so we always get that after dinner. I like that there is protein in the dessert!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:04 pm 
Semen Strong

I made the IDI sausages just using chickpeas (sub for pinto) and no spices save garlic salt and doubled the nooch. And L loved them so much that she just ran off with a batch after tasting it. Success (for now!)!

Thanks for the recommendation Aubade! I love the Indian places in Edison, and would love to try Swagath! I've been avoiding them because of unexpected spice in things. Which dosa do you get if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm going to have to try that recipe for sausages. M did eat a bunch of chicken fried seitan the other night and 1/2 of a hummus quesadilla. Today he had only eaten crackers and some banana. I'm sure he will love the cake I'm making for dessert. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Last night I made Chickpea Nuggets, Mashed Potatoes and Garlicky Kale. Miles ate ALL of it. He even dipped the nuggets in smokey bbq sauce. I felt like I was hallucinating! The first thing he ate was the kale and he kept saying "wow, this dinner is really good." He had seconds of the kale! Its almost exactly a year since he switched from an awesome eater to basically just eating bread for the past year. I of course went to Whole Foods today and bought more kale which I'm sure he will say "EWWWW" to tonight.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

What is is with kids and kale? My 3 1/2 year olds are obsessed with the stuff. Last night we made a giant batch of kale chips with olive oil, lemon, garlic powder, salt pepper and nutritional yeast. They were really proud to bring some in to share with their daycare teacher who is trying to eat healthier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Feeding M last night was a lost cause. He was mega tired from a playdate. BUT the night before he ate a Black Bean and Rice Burrito and even ate some of the beans sans burrito wrap AND HE ATE THE SPICY GARLICKY MUSHROOMS I make with our rice and bean dinners and asked for more. Its insane. He's also been asking for more dino kale. He also ate super well for my Maa today while she watched him while I was at work.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so great! And it sounds yummy!

We're reading "Its not about the Broccoli" and I really like it. So we held off on snack time and had L eat more structured meals and so far she is eating so much better!

Breakfast was an oatmeal blueberry waffle with strawberries, lunch was chickpea cabbage soup and broccoli icecream for dessert and then she had a snack of apples and crackers and dinner is going to be the leek and bean cassoulet which she loves.

Its just the first day, so I don't want to jinx it, but its been nice to have her eat well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish, yay! That book was a revelation for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that book so much! Thank you for recommending it!

I was thinking that I'd love to do a thread where we talk about how we implement the strategies, but since its just the two of us, maybe we should just do it over FB hah!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That's great T'lish! Miles doesn't really have snack time his problem is being too occupied with having fun too sit and eat with us. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Tofulish wrote:
That is so great! And it sounds yummy!

We're reading "Its not about the Broccoli" and I really like it. So we held off on snack time and had L eat more structured meals and so far she is eating so much better!

Breakfast was an oatmeal blueberry waffle with strawberries, lunch was chickpea cabbage soup and broccoli icecream for dessert and then she had a snack of apples and crackers and dinner is going to be the leek and bean cassoulet which she loves.

Its just the first day, so I don't want to jinx it, but its been nice to have her eat well.

I really need to try my library for this book! From the previews I was able to read on Amazon, it sounds like it will be helpful. My daughter is especially deep into a cereal habit.

Today I sent my kids to daycare with a St.Patrick's Day lunch. Pasta with some bright green pesto, green pepper and cucumber with dill dip, and cut up kiwi and green grapes. I'm not sure they really get that it's St.Patrick's day today but sometimes trying to go with a theme like that can help inspire me when I have to pack yet another lunch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:58 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm looking for brilliant nut-free lunch suggestions for my big little kid (3.5 years old). Nut free feels SO prohibitive, though I could probably get a few more easy meals by switching from almond milk to soy in some recipes.

I mostly send her with leftovers:
Today Israeli cous cous with tons of veggies (squash, zucchini, peas, tomatoes) and chickpeas.

Later this week/the usual: Pea soup, slow-cooker potpie (hopefully we'll remember to use the soy for the crust!), black bean bowl-ritos.

She's getting pickier, which is incredibly annoying in general, and the fact that she loves nuts and can't bring them to school makes meal planning just a little bit harder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

JENNA wrote:
That's great T'lish! Miles doesn't really have snack time his problem is being too occupied with having fun too sit and eat with us. :)

Can you let him eat on the go a little? Malka will sometimes eat better if we confine her to a room (the kitchen) while we eat, but not to the table. Her plate goes on the ground and she wanders around and plays and takes occasional bites.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

JENNA wrote:

Can you let him eat on the go a little? Malka will sometimes eat better if we confine her to a room (the kitchen) while we eat, but not to the table. Her plate goes on the ground and she wanders around and plays and takes occasional bites.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lizlemon wrote:
I'm looking for brilliant nut-free lunch suggestions for my big little kid (3.5 years old). Nut free feels SO prohibitive, though I could probably get a few more easy meals by switching from almond milk to soy in some recipes.

I mostly send her with leftovers:
Today Israeli cous cous with tons of veggies (squash, zucchini, peas, tomatoes) and chickpeas.

Later this week/the usual: Pea soup, slow-cooker potpie (hopefully we'll remember to use the soy for the crust!), black bean bowl-ritos.

She's getting pickier, which is incredibly annoying in general, and the fact that she loves nuts and can't bring them to school makes meal planning just a little bit harder.

Have you tried sunflower seed butter? My preschool recommended it and my daughter likes it just as much as peanut butter for sandwiches.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:24 pm 
Semen Strong

lizlemon, slowcooker potpie sounds fabulous! And I second sunflower butter - its really good, even better than peanut butter!

Jenna, every kiddo is different, and if we don't give L a snack between lunch and dinner, she'd be hungry and grumpy. Its also a chance to have her eat more fruits and veggies - today's snack was strawberries, yesterday's was avocado on toast, the day before was seaweed and some pea-crackers.

I really love "Its Not About The Broccoli" I feel like her eating habits have done a 180 and I now have a kiddo who eats well!

Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next