| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

lizlemon wrote:
I'm looking for brilliant nut-free lunch suggestions for my big little kid (3.5 years old). Nut free feels SO prohibitive, though I could probably get a few more easy meals by switching from almond milk to soy in some recipes.

I mostly send her with leftovers:
Today Israeli cous cous with tons of veggies (squash, zucchini, peas, tomatoes) and chickpeas.

Later this week/the usual: Pea soup, slow-cooker potpie (hopefully we'll remember to use the soy for the crust!), black bean bowl-ritos.

She's getting pickier, which is incredibly annoying in general, and the fact that she loves nuts and can't bring them to school makes meal planning just a little bit harder.

Oh, I feel your pain on this one! My kids are also 3.5, go to a nut free daycare and seem to get pickier each day. As others have mentioned, sunflower butter is great for throwing together a quick lunch. My kids seem to be into dipping lately, so I send hummus with pretzels, crackers or cut up carrots. Whenever I make pancakes, I make a huge batch and freeze tons of silver dollar sized pancakes. Throw a few into the lunchbox with a little container of maple syrup and they're happy. I'm not sure if my daycare heats their food on a consistent basis, so I try to pack things that are not terrible served cold. A friend who works with kids once told me that child nutrition is more about what they get in a week, not about the day or the single meal. So with that in mind, I feel okay about loading up their lunch with "sure bet" items, like fruit, since I will not be there to make sure they eat it. I use my own time to make sure other nutritional needs are met, since I know the daycare staff doesn't have time for that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:58 am 
Nooch of Earl

We have the same annoyance at the child development center here. Not only does it need to be nut-free, but it needs to meet "USDA requirements" which include servings of fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein. We're going to look for a private or Italian preschool for her as soon as we're in a house (SIGH) and really we've only gone there once since their drop-in care is usually full, but it's enough of a pain in the butt that I'm deterred from even using the service.

And "It's Not About Broccoli" is on my list.. How are you finding it, a month out?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hi All!

Ariann introduced me to It's not ABout the Broccoli. I loved it too. I am so ADD that i have a hard time being consistent with it. My son does not eat fruit at all and never has, he is three now. He will not touch it, look at it, or be in the same room as it. He only eats bread and earth balance. I am beyond frustrated. I am currently working with Dina Rose (author of It's Not About the Broccoli) over the phone and taking tiny steps to get my son to be a "taster." I read the book and I felt so overwhelmed, i felt like I needed to take a class about it, I was just doing everything wrong. It seems I was pressuring him without even realizing it and we have developed a major power struggle. MAJOR. We are working on resetting and breaking that pressure he feels from me. He is a stubborn kid and not adventurous or into change. SO this will take some time for us.

What is it with bread and toddlers?! It's like crack! Next baby I have, I am not even introducing bread. I also think one of my mistakes was staying with purees for way too long. I have learned that lesson. Now I have a son that hates different textures.

Anyway, Tofulish, I love the idea of making a thread about implementing the strategies from the book, I am so inconsistent and so ADD. As soon as my son starts eating well as a result of the strategies, I end up slacking off on the strategies. Great idea, let's do it!!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I kid you not, Vax had over 1000 calories worth of food yesterday! PBJ, Wheetabix, banana, avocado, some bread crusts, apple juice, an adult-sized portion of rice and beans with veggies....He liked it so much, he was wiggling his arms and feet when Mr Crabby was eating and Mr Crabby fed him some and then Vax had a ton of mine, too!
I can only imagine how much poop I am going to deal with today!! ;p

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:35 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have an idea, if anyone wants to participate. I'm going to try to come up with a week of successful meals and post them in hopes that some of you will do the same. And then we'll each have a bunch of new kid-friendly menus to try with our families.

1 - Israeli Cous Cous with Butternut Squash & Veggies (someone gave me this recipe about 6 years ago and it's amazing... PM me and I'll share it!)

2 - Black Bean Burritos with sauteed peppers, guacamole, salsa and rice

3 - Homemade Pizza with spinach, onion, mushrooms and daiya

4 - Three-Bean Chili, sauteed kale (with garlic, balsamic, and Braggs)

5 - BBQ Tofu (from V'con) with avocado, homemade cole slaw and roasted cauliflower

6 - Snobby Joes, sauteed collard greens, steamed broccoli

7 - Pea Soup (from Soup Love)

(We mostly do leftovers for lunch, interspersed with PB&J, so I didn't bother listing them)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This isn't what I made TODAY, but these were recent big hits with tiny wu.

curried lentils from Vegan Sandwiches--I added chopped apples to the recipe-- she loved putting these on a tortilla like in the book but happily ate them with a spoon too.
black bean mango salad from 5 Minute Vegan
baked oatmeal from Oh She Glows, topped with nut butter
chickpea flour mini-quiches, with green onions, bell pepper and zucchini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Breakfast: smoothie with almond butter, oatmeal, almond milk, chia seeds, dates and blueberries on the side
Snack: cherries
Lunch: peanut butter and apple butter sandwich, plain kidney beans, strawberries
Snack: more plain kidney beans
Dinner: zucchini noodles, red pepper, and chickpeas with ginger peanut sauce, watermelon, and almond milk

It seems like we are in a tofu-rut so I'm inspired to post a tofu-free day. Tons of fruit today! She ate so many zucchini noodles (I used a spiralizer) that I will definitely try that again. I wasn't expecting her to really eat that. She was begging for another sandwich. Couldn't get her to touch my collards at dinner, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 pm 

Another tofuless day (haven't made it to the store):

Breakfast: blueberry, soymilk, avocado, chard, chia, cacao, and almond butter smoothie and a banana
Snack: entire pint of blueberries (How???)
Lunch: zucchini noodles, chickpeas (leftovers), corn on the cob (three bites maybe?) and a pear
Snack: almonds and dried mango
Dinner: earth balance white cheddar mac with smart dogs and chard, watermelon, soy milk

I cut the chard so small that it was a PITA to pick out so she ended up eat a fair amount of it accidentally.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for posting! I am in such a food rut with L and desperately need to break free. We have such different palates and I am loving spicy summer veg preparations and she is into bland carbs and sugar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:05 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Thanks for posting! I am in such a food rut with L and desperately need to break free. We have such different palates and I am loving spicy summer veg preparations and she is into bland carbs and sugar.

I pretty much add sriracha to everything at the table! I have gotten into the habit of putting aside some of whatever before I add the sauce/dressing in case she hates it or thinks it's too spicy.

Breakfast: overnight oats from Oh She Glows
Snack: banana
Lunch: smart dogs and ketchup
Snack: almonds and dried mango
Dinner: pesto pizza (she picked off most of the veggies)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I tried to give my son some crackers with beet hummus on them. He wouldn't eat the hummus part <.< Even if I barely dipped them he still knew it was on there. He is weird with his crackers. He'll eat nut butters on bread but not on crackers. The only two things he wants to eat right now are crackers, peas, and larabars. He'll eat prepackaged stuff too. He likes sweets but I'm trying to limit those right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:42 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

we're in a great phase right now, specifically due to summer so I'll have to remember how nice it was come December! The kids are living on: sooo many blueberries, cucumbers and zucchini from our CSA, chard, amazing sweet tomatoes and salad from our garden, asparagus, grapes and frozen smoothies. Plus various bars that I've been making for their afternoon snack out of oats, bananas, etc. (plenty of chocolate chips are also involved and I don't even care because they're eating so well otherwise!)
and we've had great luck at dinner with:
tamarind lentils from VCON
anything with pesto on it, usually its broccoli, Gardein cutlets and pasta
seitan gyros
grilled tofu with peanut-sauced udon
saltnpepper tofu with a ton of babybok choy mixed into their rice
any type of green chopped up in a daiya quesadilla + a ton of avocado
bbq soy curlz - they will pretty much eat soy curlz any which way

hmm looking at those dinners, it reminds me how stuck in the "Protein + starch + veg" thing we are...this is a major holdover from my partner's former omni ways, and believe me I'm overjoyed that he went vegan 5+ years ago, but I kinda would like to reshape our meals some way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made a lentil loaf tonight (like traditional, with bread crumbs, quick oats, ketchup on top) and at first my kid was like, "ewwww!! i don't want bean loaf!!"

but he tried it and said he liked it and ate the whole thing!

TRIUMPH!

On the side he had peeled plain baked potatoes w/ butter and a bit of salt. Wouldn't touch the shredded pickled cabbage/carrot/pepper dish. (ashamed to admit we had that in summer with all the fresh veggies around, but had no time to go food shopping this weekend!)

At least he ate the loaf!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:08 pm 

I love lentil loaf. I'm so glad he tried it.

I had a big fail today with brown rice balls. I've made them before and she usually gobbles them up but this time she wouldn't even try one.

Here is the recipe I used: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipe ... lls/13326/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:08 am 

those rice balls look yummy! I just freakin love rice, I'd never make it as a paleo person. BUT D won't eat brown rice, which is a huge bummer. In fact this week we had 2 meals that should have been with brown rice so I had to modify. Thing is, she loves both these dishes and ate plenty but I'm always annoyed if I have to cook things separately.

Anyway, I made the Queso bowls from IDI but instead of serving over brown rice I made some cilantro lime (white) rice and used black beans, plus mixed a little of the queso (before adding the hot pepper and onion to the queso pot) into the kids' bowls to make it bind a little. She loved this and ate a big bowl with avocado. Can't go wrong with rice n beans!
Also, Bryanna's chkn divan is a favorite of Sierra and Papa...I make it using a ton of steamed broccoli (half of which was from our garden wooo!), lightly seasoned soy curls and brown rice for ours + a small separate casserole dish for D using whole wheat pasta instead of rice. I don't bother with bechamel or the sour cream because for us it's supposed to be an supereasy, filling dinner so I totally always use Leahey's cheese sauce mix which I make in a glass measuring cup in the microwave. We always eat the entire pan full. I'm adding a lot of bulk + protein to our dinners during the week because H eats right before heading to work to bake for 9 hours and if it's just simple pasta + veg for instance he ends up starving in the middle of the night. (Lucky for him he's not tempted by the hundreds of donuts + pastries he's making!)

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this before but my kids have some weird fixation on tofu scramble. D has been eating it nearly every weekday for like 2 years straight. I think it's just a matter of routine being super-important to little ones but god H and I got sick of tofu scramble a very long time ago, except for when I make fancy veggie-filled versions on the weekends. But houseguests we've had have marveled at the way D just sits down mid-morning and eats a big bowl of "yellow tofu". All that turmeric's gotta be good for her though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:59 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Breakfast: Cranberry cinnamon oatmeal. (He had about four bites, usually he will eat the entire thing.) Lemon pound cake larabar

Lunch: steamed peas with a juice box. Tried to offer Amy's alphabet soup but he refused.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 am 

My kid loves tofu so that is usually not a fail. I made tofu scramble this morning and she was helping me in the kitchen. I measured the nooch and she wanted to eat it plain. Okay. Have some plain nooch. Then she wouldn't give it up. She only ate two bites of the scramble and just ate plain nooch. Next time I'm going to have to keep the nooch out of site I guess. I don't need anyone ODing on nooch.

Overnight oats have been a huge success lately, almost too much. There have been some mornings with tears because we were having something else. She also cries for peacefood cafe's PFC basket, with is fried seitan chicken with a ranch dipping sauce. This morning I woke up to "I WANT FAKE CHICKEN NOW!" Me too, me too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Me three!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:40 am 

dude that Peacefood chkn basket is INSANE.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:04 pm 
Chip Strong

I have a confession. Scarlett eats healthy food and has a great appetite so overall I think we're doing a fine job, but honestly we hardly ever sit down and eat the same things at the same time. It's just so much easier to get her to eat things we know she'll like, then be able to relax and enjoy our own dinner after she goes to bed. According to a handout from her pediatrician, we're totally screwing her up! Are we the only ones who do this? It's just so much easier for us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Guilty here. Sometimes we eat together -but it seems he usually ends up eating by himself for one reason or another...sadly he is NOT a healthy eater.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 pm 

Audrey wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Seriously! When we are deciding what to order for delivery I ask her, "Do you want to order from the pizza place or the taco place?" and she always says, "FAKE CHICKEN!"

And she won't share it either.

Moo, what does the pediatrician handout say you should be doing? We usually eat the same thing but slightly different. I will make tofu salad and eat it on lettuce and she will have it on bread...stuff like that. I'm too lazy to make separate meals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:37 pm 
Chip Strong

The handout is about how important it is for your kid's social development, or emotional security, or.. something.. to sit at the table together and eat as a family. We basically make a meal for ourselves while she sits at the kitchen table and we put little bits of things on her plate for her to feed to herself, like cubes of tofu and veggies. It's not like we don't interact with her. I can see the importance of modeling healthy eating and sitting to eat a meal, but I'm telling myself she's too young for that to matter so much yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:43 pm 

There are some people who need reminders/help knowing how to interact with their children and all of that, but I doubt that you do. There is nothing magic about family dinners, even though there is a correlation with all kinds of positive outcomes and eating family dinners. You are probably providing that support in other ways and with different routines.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Vacation eating!

Oatmeal with chocolate chips
At a restaurant: she ate a bunch of fruit, half a kid's pizza with Daiya, several bites of my tomato soup, several chunks of my "protein" from my vegan Reuben
Brown rice, edamame, peas, carrot slivers, crapton of nori.
Some skittles and violet candy throughout the day

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next