| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pregnancy Safe Products
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:32 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I know a thread like this will be really helpful for me and hopefully for others. I couldn't find one in the search so please let me know if this is a repeat.

I'm found so much conflicting information online about what is safe and not safe to use during pregnancy. Especially when it came to skin care products. I was using Proactive (just the wash and the toner, not the lotion) and found several sources that said benzyl peroxide was not safe and others that said it was fine to use. The same with tea tree oil. I use the Trader Joe's tea tree oil face wash since I have oil acne prone skin. Now I'm not sure if my face lotion is safe to use, my deodorant (I only use baking soda but read that may not be safe either!)

I found this line of products called Nurture My Body. They claim they are safe for pregnancy and they are vegan. They are not cheap but hopefully they will last for a while

Can anyone tell me what skin and hair care products they've used while pregnant?

Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Safe Products
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So, what's the theoretical harm in benzyl peroxide or tea tree oil? I used benzyl peroxide throughout pregnancy with no issues. Are you ingesting it or something?

Deodorant is fine, really, any kind of deodorant or antiperspirant is totally cool. If you are reading a site that says it's not, stop reading that site, they are giving you bad advice (for example, I recommend not getting most of your advice from Mothering.com or taking it with a giant grain of salt).

There is very little topical stuff that is going to be a problem during pregnancy and the greatest risk is usually in the first trimester, if there's any at all. I would ask your doc if you're thinking of doing something like coloring or perming your hair (although mine said it was fine and if I really was worried I should wait till the second trimester - I had my naturally curly hair permed into a different curly configuration for fun around 16 weeks).

Ask your doc if you're going to take any medicines (even over the counter) or herbs (herbs that are actually efficacious are NOT without side effects) or other supplements. The real problem in pregnancy is that very few medicines are really tested on pregnant women so the vast majority of drugs will be Category C (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_category) which means basically nothing. Doctors routinely prescribe Category C drugs to pregnant women if they know that many pregnant women have used it with no particular harm. Unfortunately when it comes to those things you kind of have to figure out for yourself if the benefit of taking the drug is worth a very minimal and theoretical risk to your fetus. What made me feel better is that pregnant women have been eating, drinking, and otherwise doing all kinds of things for a million years and yet our species continues, basically healthy.

Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Safe Products
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I used TJ's tea tree stuff (both the face wash and the Tea Tree Tingle shampoo/conditioner) through my pregnancies.

I also took bubble baths in bubble bath made with lavender oil.

My kids are fine.

No one can worry about and/or avoid everything. If you can't find a good source (ideally your knowledgable care provider, but if you for some reason can't ask them or don't trust them, Scholar.google.com is a good place to start researching on your own) saying that something has been proven to be bad, then what can you do?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]