| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My cat scratched the kid - ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm 
Semen Strong

So after being remarkably tolerant to Leela for nearly nine months, our cat scratched Leela across the face today. It was very close to her eye and there was a fair bit of blood. It went so fast that I didn't even see it, even though I was right there. I cleaned the cuts and put on Neosporin and she seems no worse for the wear. The cat is clamoring to come near her and she wants to snuggle her buddy again, but I obviously can't let them be that close again for a while.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

Post subject: Re: My cat scratched the kid - ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would just keep them separate until Leela is older and a bit bigger. It's impossible to say what set the cat off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
Semen Strong

She probably pulled his tail. I can't really keep them separate short of always putting the cats in the bathroom when we go downstairs because we generally all hang out in the living room together. Up to now, he has snuggled her and always just jumped away to "safety" when her pets got too enthusiastic. There is so much space for him to retreat to, I can't believe he actually scratched her.

I can start using a spray of cold water to discourage him from coming near her. It sucks though. Our other cat is a bit of a jerk, so I intervene whenever she gets near him and now I have trained Cuddles to run away from her so that we have no danger of him nipping her. At least she used to have one good buddy, who would butt heads with her and snuggle - he actively sought her out for cuddles etc. Literally they would chase eachother around the house headbutting one another. It was so cute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Poor Leela's face! If you aren't worried about the cat biting instead, I showed this question to a friend who loves pets, and they suggested putting kitty caps (or soft claws, they might also be called?) over the cats claws.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:43 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband suggested softpaws too, but I do think that might just encourage him to bite instead....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Vantine wrote:
I would just keep them separate until Leela is older and a bit bigger. It's impossible to say what set the cat off.

This. You can keep an eye on it and look for potential triggers, but sometimes things just happen, and she's still too young to be able to know what to do and not do. We have dogs, and one of them has snapped at Lucy a few times - usually when she's fallen on him by accident. He's a cranky old man who is prone to aggression, but by age 2, we had it pretty well drilled into Lucy's head that he was dangerous so she leaves him alone. I don't think we've had any real issues in over a year (knock on wood).

Edited to add: I just saw your other posts. As she gets older and more understanding, they may well be able to get back to being buds. It's just hard now when she is so young and doesn't understand boundaries, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the feedback. I had hoped for another outcome, but I know I can't train either to be 100% respectful of the other's boundaries right now.

Leela is just learning gentle touch and honestly is rough with him, but its because she is a baby, and he has been so tolerant - he let her bite his ears, pull his fur and he still always wants to sleep next to her or snuggle her, so I am sad that they can't have their little bond right now. Even now, he is trying to break into the bedroom to sleep next to her. But they will again one day, once Leela learns that we don't pull tails.

I should just be grateful neither got hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a cat (Miles) who was jerky before we had a baby, and became extra jerky after the baby. We always give Miles lots of separate attention, but he is still really unpredictable with the kid. I left them in the same room together once for like 20 seconds, and Miles had his teeth and both front paws dug into the kid's arm when I came back. I had to pry him off, it was awful. Our solution is really just never leave them alone together at all. If the kid goes up to Miles to try and pet him, I get to Miles first to work as a go-between. I don't want the kid to be skiddish around cats, but I don't want the same thing or worse happening again. It's hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Tofulish wrote:
My husband suggested softpaws too, but I do think that might just encourage him to bite instead....

Declawing definitely encourages cats to bite, i'm not sure about softpaws. But I tried them on Fatty when she was still really insane and violent, and she just dedicated all of her time to pulling them off with her teeth until they were all gone.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We did a lot of total supervision & redirection with our cats and Silas when he was a baby. Moving him away when I couldn't be there supervising was a pain, but it worked. I felt just as bad for the kitties being annoyed by this new, curious baby as I did for the potential scratches on him. They get along really well now!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have used soft paws and I don't think they caused biting, but of course I'm sure that's different with different cats. Might be a good option just in case the two are together accidentally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cats and babies/kids = bites and scratches. Its going to happen eventually and I find its doesn't get better as the kid gets older (in our case at least). Unless the cat scratched her unprovoked I personally wouldn't separate Leela and the cat. Keep them together. Just closely monitor them. If the cat can get away they usually will. If they can't get away because of a strong grab of the tail or a bear hug tackle the cat will bite or scratch. He/She is just protecting herself. Our cat CB gives clear signs when she isn't happy and is about to attack so I'll redirect her or the kids away. Reno is definitely old enough and knows better not to provoke her but she still does sometimes and she comes running in to me crying because CB scratched/bite her. Leela will learn to be gentle it will just take time and part of the learning comes from the most likely occasional attack.

If the cat starts attacking her unprovoked then that's a whole different story and you have to separate them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

What Jenna said, this mirrors my expereince with our son and my expereinces growing up with lots of younger siblings nad a cast of animals. I've noticed most cats and dogs treat children very patiently and give them lots of warnings. I have to speak to my 3yo daily about way our cat is telling him what he likes and doesn't. I often end up telling him he will use his paws or mouth when he doesn't listen because the cat 'doesn't have words like you do'. This isn't really necessary for Leela, but thought it might be useful later.
the only thing i have to add is to confirm you have several pets, right? Has the cat been at the top of hierarchy? if so, the cat's overpowering reaction might have been in part of trying to put Leela into her place as the cat sees it- younger, and therefore lower down the hierarchy then them. I think there are some ways to deal with that, but separating them is going to be the first step, I'm not sure what else, but i am sure people who know cats better then me would know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
How else is the kid gonna learn to not mess with the cat?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 pm 
Semen Strong

And today the cat bit her. She walked over to pet him, and he just gave her a teaching bite on the arm. She didn't yell.

So I think that for now, I'm keeping them separated.

And then Cuddles the dog barked right in her face, so he is now also being kept separated. We have been training him to stay about 5ft away from her, and she backed him into a corner and so he freaked and barked. UGH! I am now worried that next time his reaction might be worse. And he is a 70lb pittie.

I feel like the worst animal trainer ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 pm 
WRETCHED

Do you trip the cats nails? I'd also do that so that any scratches that happen aren't that bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:02 pm 
Semen Strong

I can't trim either of our cats' nails. They both hate it and its a bloody disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think it's as much about teaching the kids as it is about training the animals. With Leela being so young, you have to just expect it to take some time. Having a mobile baby around is a huge change for your pets and it will just take teaching in all directions for a long time before it gets easier.

What I did was only allow fully supervised interactions, model soft touch and appropriate petting wih tons of compliments for the kids (always, even though it'll be awhile before Leela catches on. Treats for the kitties and dog when they interacted nicely. If my kids tried to be too agressive after positive modeling, I removed them from the situation for awhile. If they weren't nice to the cats, they don't go near them, until they learned. We had a mega grumpy cat and Silas ended up really befriending her after a lot of work, before she passed. I just kept in mind How scary it must be for them to have a fat moving, sometimes too rough little person in their house, taking all our all attention and tried to make it positive for everyone.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Just keep everyone safe and slowly integrate and it'll all work out :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:00 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Hey tofulish, I'm not a parent, so feel free to scrap my advice, but I do have three dogs and a cat. It just occurred to me that maybe separating Leela and the pets would further intensify the problem because the pets might feel less like they are in the same family as her, and more like they are competing with her for your attention? Like maybe spending time with her will help them feel a familial bond and protect her more often than the opposite? (especially for your dog). It's just a thought. Anyhow, obviously supervision seems like a good idea. I'm sorry youre dealing with all this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've only heard great things about softpaws, doesn't help the biting or behavior but it's always nice to have that little extra bit of protection just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 am 
WRETCHED

One of my cats was a disaster when first trimming her nails because we never did it until we got a second cat but then we would swaddle her to get it done. I can understand hesitancy though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think it is more about constant supervision than separating them. Making sure their interactions are positive and if you see the dog or cat get nervous and show signs of uneasyness take the baby away. One of my dogs is terrified of children. He loves wolverine because I make sure their interactions are always gentle and if the baby is feeling rough either the baby gets taken away from the dog or I put the dog out or tell him to go lay down. It isn't fair to animals to be terriorized by babies/children. I make sure all of wolverines touches are gentle towards both the dogs even the one who is super tolerant. I trust both my dogs not to snap in a calm situation but I wouldn't put it past ANY dog or cat to defend itsself if it is being tortured or scared. It isn't the cat or dogs fault. They need to be able to defend themselves and they have that right.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I agree with tank. Pets only have those defense mechanisms, and really, I can't blame a cat for finally lashing out if someone kept following it around and biting their ears and pulling their fur. It sounds like constant supervision is really the only option.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:05 am 
Semen Strong

My frustration is that we do model gentle touch and I or my husband are constantly present, we do remove Leela when she pulls tails or gets over-enthusiastic, and we reward the animals with praise for being good with her and make sure they are never "boxed" in but always have an escape route. I have counseled people for years on how to get children and animals to co-exist, as part of the surrender prevention work I've done.

And I am not blaming the cat or the dog, of course they have the right to defend themselves, but I am also not going to put my baby into a dangerous situation. And its tough because people do have the "oh if that happened to us that cat would be at the shelter already" reaction and I worry that my husband feels that way as well.

I just feel like I keep training and it keeps being counterproductive. I stopped giving Cuddles food around Leela so he would be less reactive around her, and he is now more reactive because he scrambles to avoid her. She isn't even touching him, but he bolts upright and runs away from her. And weirdly its only bad in the house, outside the two get along great.

I just want them to co-exist as easily as I know they can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 am 
***LIES!!!***

So maybe the answer is just Cuddles + Leela outside, but separated by walls and doors or baby gates inside until Cuddles is less freaked by her?