| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raising Vegan Kids With Non-Vegan Partner?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

My 7 year-old is mostly vegan, and my 13 year-old and SO are omni. We are starting on the BLW with our 8 month old ., but I really want her to be vegan from birth. I have discussed this at length with SO without getting any firm agreement from him though he's very supportive of me and 7 year-old being vegan.

I think his main hesitation is that he worries that he won't know how/what to feed her when I'm not there (aside from the obvious fruits/veggies). He doesn't really cook anything vegan other than chili and using bottled pasta sauce. He is not a big dairy person and doesn't really cook/eat it, so really it's just the meat/seafood. I am thinking that I could cook for A. and freeze some things so that there's always something he can feed her but honestly don't know how long I could keep it up since I'm already cooking dinner and lunch for me and the 7 year-old but I know that A. can't have everything we can.

I'm wondering if there are any other moms with omni SO's and vegan children and how you have been able to work it out. There is no chance that SO will ever go vegan, so trying to convert him isn't even an option. Also, any tips on making SO feel secure in his abilities to feed her (and me and 7 year-old for that matter) vegan food would be helpful too. He's a pretty good cook but has limited imagination and his meals focus on meat, starch, side cooked veggie, side salad.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Raising Vegan Kids With Non-Vegan Partner?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Why don't you put together a recipe book of dinners that are easy for SO to make. I keep a recipe book of all the family recipes we like to make over and over, that way when my girls get old enough to cook, they will have the recipes to look at. I started my first one when I lived at home with my parents, and I wrote down all the stuff my mom had me make. That way if you are not there, SO has a reference of easy food to prepare. And don't forget to make a note of what sides you usually put with a main dish. I also like the idea of having frozen meals too.

Oh and I am pretty sure the second I leave my girls alone with my husband, he is going to feed them all the meat he can. But he is only responsible to feed them for 1 day out of the year when I go up north with my mom and sisters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I second the recipe book! I don't have kids but I do have an omni husband and for whatever reason he can't figure out what to cook for us when he's in charge of dinner. I've taken several simple recipes and taped them on the fridge for him (he would lose a booklet! Haha!).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 am 
Semen Strong

My husband isn't vegan, but we are on the same page that Leela is being raised vegan, so he wouldn't ever give her non-vegan food. Its funny, but for a non-vegan, he is pretty quick to explain to people the benefits of veganism!

He wouldn't do a recipe booklet, but is actually a really good cook with veggies and pasta, so I try and just keep encouraging him. "What should I make?" Oh, you know that delicious veggie pasta dish you made? Can you make that?" And then he improvises and makes a mix of fresh and frozen veggies sauteed in garlic and oil and then adds pasta. He makes a thickened sauce using almond milk and arrowroot. Its finished with nooch for us and Parmesan for him. Its very versatile. Or there is always hummus and precut veggies in our fridge.

So basically (1) keep easy options in the fridge and (2) praise them for all efforts and build confidence :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I also have a non vegan partner. He is way on board with wolverine being vegan. He mostly eats non vegan when home with him because I am not there to cook for everyone and he doesn't cook. I think this is a struggle for him too. He knows how to cook pasta and eggs. That is pretty much it.
Since wolverine isn't eating too much yet what works for us is having stuff in the fridge or pantry ready to eat for him for the day. I have even made a list on the fridge for ideas on what to give him for lunch. I list all the things we have on hand or that are easy for him to prepare. As much as I hate my kid eating too many starches, that is usually the bulk of the list. He also gives him carrots and cucs because he eats those himself.
Also as far as leftovers go. Sometimes when I pack up the leftovers after dinner I make a plate for elliot and put it in the fridge for the next day. A small serving of mac and peas, a tiny burrido etc. He eats them cold so he just takes it out and serves him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont actually have any kids yet but i do live with an omni spouse and i already told him flat out that the kid will be vegan and im not taking no for an answer.

i love the idea of a recipe booklet because my husband.....while he has the best of intentions and a huge heart, he really has no decision making capabilities.
if i wasn't home or if i didnt enjoy cooking he would like on frozen burritos and be perfectly fine with that.

i would go with having a discussion with him why it's so important to you that the kids be vegan so he understands where you are coming from 100%. then making up the recipe book to help him out.
maybe to help him ease into it cook some meals yourself with him actually in the kitchen with him to show him how easy it is. it's really tough to break the meat/starch/veggie mindset.
my mom just became vegetarian less than a year ago and she still struggles with it for herself.

sounds like he is already really supportive and half way there, maybe just a little unsure on how to handle it himself.

good luck!!!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:00 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks for the suggestions! I do like the idea of a recipe book of sorts. He watches me cook every night pretty much because we usually are cooking at the same time (it's insane) so that we can all have dinner at the same time. I also think maybe a small chart on the fridge would help. If he knew that he could always just, say, throw a can of chickpeas into a pan with some veggies and put with rice/pasta/quinoa that would probably make things easier for him.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yup. And there is nothing wrong with some pasta and jarred marinara sauce with a side of frozen or canned veggie.

I just posted about dishes in the kitchen forum, and I am thinking you guys make a lot of dishes if you are cooking two different meals at the same time.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]