| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bumbo Seat Recall
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This came across one of my listservs today: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12247.html

I acquired one from a local mom, and it was part of the recall, but it seems mostly like a warning not to leave a kid unattended, especially on top of a table. The recall isn't completely clear, but the "Manufactured by Bumbo South Africa Material: Polyurethane World Patent No. PCT: ZA/1999/00030." was actually carved into the bottom of mine, it wasn't a label, or black text.

In any case, they'll send a restraining belt for free.

Quote:
Baby Seats Recalled for Repair by Bumbo International Due to Fall Hazard
Consumers should order free repair kit
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Bumbo Baby Seats

Units: About 4 million in the U.S. Note: In October 2007, 1 million Bumbo seats were voluntarily recalled to provide additional warnings against use on raised surfaces.

Manufacturer: Bumbo International Trust, of South Africa

Hazard: Babies can maneuver out of or fall from the Bumbo seat, posing a risk of serious injuries.

Incidents/Injuries: CPSC and Bumbo International know of at least 50 incidents after the October 2007 voluntary recall in which babies fell from a Bumbo seat while it was being used on a raised surface. Nineteen of those incidents included reports of skull fractures. CPSC and Bumbo International are aware of an additional 34 post-recall reports of infants who fell out or maneuvered out of a Bumbo seat used on the floor or at an unknown elevation, resulting in injury. Two of these incidents involved reports of skull fractures, while others reported bumps, bruises and other minor injuries.

Description: The bottom of the Bumbo seat is round and flat with a diameter of about 15 inches. It is constructed of a single piece of molded foam and comes in various colors. The seat has leg holes and the seat back wraps completely around the child. On the front of the seat in raised lettering is the word "Bumbo" with the image of an elephant on top. The bottom of the seat has the following words: "Manufactured by Bumbo South Africa Material: Polyurethane World Patent No. PCT: ZA/1999/00030." The back of the seat has several warnings and seats manufactured since 2008 have an additional label on the front of the seat warning against use on raised surfaces.

Sold by: Sears, Target, Toys R Us (including Babies R Us), USA Babies, Walmart, and various other toy and children's stores nationwide, and various online sellers, from August 2003 through August 2012 for between $30 and $50.

Manufactured in: South Africa

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the product until they order and install a free repair kit, which includes: a restraint belt with a warning label, installation instructions, safe use instructions and a new warning sticker. The belt should always be used when a child is placed in the seat. Even with the belt, the seat should never be used on any raised surface. Consumers should also immediately stop using Bumbo seat covers that interfere with the installation and use of the belt. A video demonstrating proper installation of the restraint belt and proper use of the Bumbo seat are available at www.BumboUSA.com

Consumer Contact: Order the free repair kit by visiting www.recall.BumboUSA.com or calling (866) 898-4999 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Thursday and between 8 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. CT on Friday. Do not return the Bumbo seat to retailers as they will not be able to provide the repair kit.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about your experience with the product on SaferProducts.gov

CPSC is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of the thousands of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $900 billion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or resell this or any other recalled product.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, go online to: SaferProducts.gov, call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing and speech impaired. Consumers can obtain this news release and product safety information at www.cpsc.gov. To join a free e-mail subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx.

Post subject: Re: Bumbo Seat Recall
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I already gave my pissy response to conversations re: all things Bumbo via Tofulish's FB page.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 pm 
Chip Strong

I want to read your pissy response, but I don't have a facebook account! Please share. Someone just gave us their old Bumbo the day before this recall business. I guess I should erase the picture we took of Scarlett sitting in it on the kitchen table... I wouldn't leave her sitting there by herself, I swear!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My pissy response will make less sense without the commentary in between by someone else. But I will copy and paste it anyway, below the spoiler. It is super long:

Spoiler: show
1st comment: What's so weird about this is that we used the Bumbo on our kitchen table with Malka for months without any issue (up to when she was crawling ~ 4-6 months). Our table is against the wall, so her back was to the wall and her front was towa
rd us, she was in the middle of the table. It was perfect because we could all "eat" at the table together before we invested in a high chair. I felt totally comfortable doing it and even though Malka is super active and strong and always has been, it never seemed like she could have propelled herself out of it. Even now, when it's just on the floor as another obstacle for her to climb over, she sometimes will seat herself in it and not be able to figure out how to get out. With supervision I'm a little perplexed about how these accidents could have happened. I never felt like it needed restraints because it's super deep and hard to get out of, but then again I hardly ever restrain my kid in her stroller either (and she's never fallen out, although she sometimes tries to hurl herself out). Maybe I'm just anti-restraint, pro-supervision. Also, how much could a kid actually hurt themselves falling out of a Bumbo on the floor? C'mon, give me a break. Kids fractured their skulls falling from half their height? Something sounds totally unbelievable about that.

Someone responded saying the Bumbo is terrible and she knows children's physical therapists who say it does terrible things to kids' developmentally.

2nd comment: Have you seen the Bumbo (it is not anything like a jumper/exersaucer, it is much more like a molded high chair, which pre-sitting kids are put in all the time)? It is super, super deep - there is nowhere to fall to within the thing, and certainly not if it's placed on the ground. I haven't seen a pre-sitting age kid who is tall enough to believably fall or propel themselves out of the thing, no matter how top-heavy. It would seriously be an incredible task to do such a thing. I would believe that a kid could skooch it across a surface (although, again, sounds like the kid is too old to be in it in that case). I'm not saying it's totally impossible, I'm just saying it's extraordinarily unlikely, and it seems like the potential danger of the Bumbo increases as the kid ages. I'd wager that the injuries are mostly to do with truly stupid placement of the product (on the edge of high surfaces with no supervision, for example) or use by much older kids acting crazily in them. Anyway, yes, there are warnings all over the things. Recalls and warnings can't cure stupid.

Also, it totally seems like malpractice or something for physical therapists to go around saying those kinds of things. Are there any actual studies on such things or are they just blowing it out their asparagi? There are constantly nonsense reports from such people about how everything we do is breaking our bodies, but it frankly requires a heck of a lot more evidence than their casual "professional" opinion. Showing causality here is seriously difficult, if not impossible.

The other person responded again, more of basically the same, plus it's valid for medical-type professionals to give those kinds of scare-mongering prognostications based on their "experience."

3rd comment: [Dude], the problem here is that there is no evidence connecting use of the Bumbo to any issues of muscle weakness or what have you. Your experience in this field treating athletes has zero bearing on this discussion (it's not talking about
an even potentially similar population or similar kinds of physical tasks). And that's exactly the problem - we have an incredible amount of actual evidence showing that medical professionals are bad at using their experience to make predictions or to accurately describe things like risk. Medical professionals who DO rely on the way they remember their experience or on their gut make way more mistakes and give poorer care. That's why medical professionals should base their professional opinions on the weight of evidence rather than personal anecdote and that's why I would prefer to do that too as a parent and a consumer. I might base personal decisions on friends' reports of their own personal use of a product, but it really depends.

As you noted, there are SO MANY confounding factors when it comes to physical issues. Is there any evidence that there are more such problems today than there used to be (serious question)? Is there any evidence that people actually sit up their younger infants more now than they used to? I ask because I put my daughter in the Bumbo around 3-4 months for the first time and part of my impulse to do so was because she was so so much happier sitting up than laying down and this was just another way to allow her to sit up - I can't imagine my baby was the first in history to have that reaction and I imagine people have been sitting their babies up in various positions and contraptions forever. We also have just a ton more access to medical care and a much lower threshold for accessing medical care than in the past - perhaps we are just more likely to discover congenital differences than we ever have been. Babies are not, almost by definition, born perfect. The question is, what is our threshold for imperfection? Why do we think we can achieve perfection through parenting choices? We have less control both for the good and the bad than we think. As someone who's had a lot of spinal issues, I can say that despite searching for some kind of explanation in my past behavior to explain my issues, every expert on the subject has said: that's just how you were born, that's the shape of your spine, those are the vertebrae that are weak points, etc. I tend to think that is the truth in general.

I don't know if that adds anything to the conversation. I just find the hoopla around the Bumbo to be deeply annoying (same thing with similar hoopla around the Baby Bjorn).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think that's the thing...don't leave your kid alone to teeter on top of a table. Even if this thing came with a padlock and super glue, it doesn't replace just watching your kid.

I didn't even know this recall was a big deal, although as I said, it seemed like much of the warning was based on following the clear instructions and warnings already written on the seat, and just not leaving your baby alone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree that supervision is the key here...don't leave a kid unattended sitting in ANYTHING on a table.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I sent for the recall too. I'm not sure I'll use the belt, as it's already a 2-person job to get Will out. But... I'm handing it down to my brother and maybe he'll want it. We use it on our table (it's so much easier to clean than the booster), but of course we stay in arms' reach.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

We got a hand me down bumbo, the second time we put him in it, he climbed (well, sort of rolled/propelled himself) right out, turned around and started chewing on it. I feel like even with a safety belt the allure to nom the thing is too strong in this one. Not sure if I should send for the recall anyway in case we pass it along to someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:58 am 
Chip Strong

Wow, that's crazy, bap! Scarlett is too young for the bumbo, but we just stuck her in it for a minute for fun and her thighs are already so chunky they barely fit in the leg holes. Do you have a skinny baby or was he able to get out even though it's a tight squeeze for him?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was always so jealous of people that the Bumbo worked great for. Every time I put Silas in his, he would immediately mega lunge to the side and I'd catch him as he was knocking the whole thing over (supervised, on the carpeted floor). He could roll out of it too, and he was a chunky little baby.

I've seen tons of people use them safely with their kids and they worked perfectly. I think it just depends on the kid. And of course, complete supervision always.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hes got pretty chunky thighs, so I think it was sheer determination to get out. I was pretty surprised since definitely had to shimmy his thighs into it in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 am 
Semen Strong

Kelly wrote:
I've seen tons of people use them safely with their kids and they worked perfectly. I think it just depends on the kid. And of course, complete supervision always.

But part of the reason people have Bumbos and exersaucers and jumperoos is to be able to get a few minutes to do stuff while the baby is safe and contained, even without complete supervision.

I don't supervise Leela at every moment of the day - there are a ton of household chores that are so much easier to do without her on my back (like hanging laundry), and I like to have an exersaucer to put her in for a few minutes while I do them.

If the Bumbo isn't safe unless the child is completely supervised, its not going to be very useful for many parents.

I do think that part of the problem is that we live in such a "no risk is acceptable where babies are concerned" world, that manufacturers are putting so many warnings on products that parents feel like they can disregard them - for example the Boppy Lounger says not to let your baby fall asleep in it - its a perfect place for them to relax, kick and coo, but not to sleep. I'll bet tons of people let their kids sleep in it. Because that is what newborns do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 am 
***LIES!!!***

Why couldn't a kid sleep in the boppy lounger? Weird. If I had one of those I would totally let Malka sleep in it - it looks like a perfect nap spot.

I definitely did not totally supervise Malka in the Bumbo if she was on the floor and happy. It was not nearly as entertaining a device as the jumperoo, though, so I would only have left the room for a minute or two with her in it, whereas I'd leave her in the jumperoo for probably 10-15 if I was cooking or something. She'd just get bored and irritated too quickly in the Bumbo.

I only was very watchful when she was on the table in the Bumbo because there's a legitimate fall risk from a height (and onto tile) if she got it in her head to hurl her whole body in one direction or another.

I think EVEN IF the kid can get out of it on the floor, that the harm of falling from about half their height is low enough that it's an acceptable risk - it is not all that different from the many face plants they do learning to crawl and then learning to stand (which Malka did at about the same age she learned to sit herself up). In this case I think putting a restraint on the seat would potentially make it MORE dangerous. If a kid is so motivated to hurl themselves out of the seat, do you want them to hurl themselves carrying the seat with them for added momentum when they crash?

I think the level of supervision you should give should be tailored to how much supervision you think the kid needs! Some kids seem to need less supervision - not that you should neglect them, but you don't have to helicopter. Some kids hurl themselves out of stuff, some kids sit happily. Warning labels are for liability purposes, not to teach you how to parent your own child.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:28 am 
Nooch of Earl

Could the skull fractures be due to bathroom tile? I thought people mainly used these to plop their kid in while they took a dump.

I agree with Tlish that there's become a huge disconnect between what product warnings tell us to do and what is actually reasonable. It's especially frustrating when manufacturers warn you not to use the product in the way that you specifically bought it to use. Like the swings and chairs you're told not to let the newborns fall asleep in, or the infant seat adaptors for the jogging strollers that, whoops, you're not supposed to jog with, or even yesterday V got a 1st birthday present toy.. really cute, it's a color sorting game with little produce bins and mini fruits and vegetables (not THAT mini) in different colors. The smallest one is probably the size of her fist, but for some reason it says "ages 3 and up." Seriously? As, I discovered after I bought it, did the felt fruits I got from IKEA (picked because I thought they were the only set that DIDN'T say 3+). I guess if you really ripped, you could get all the stitching out and have a piece of...felt?

Of course it's all pretty pointless to worry about potential tiny pieces of felt coming off of toys when V's current favorite activity is pulling out the drawer under the oven and climbing on to it to touch whatever's on top of the stove.

We didn't have a bumbo, I'm sure V would've houdinied out of the thing anyway, but I just wanted to say I find myself doing certain things that I would've considered unsafe before she was born, because absolute constant supervision is not as simple/easy as I would've thought before she was born. Sometimes other stuff has to get done. The one serious injury she's had, a gash on the head she's still bandaged from that required no stitches but a little gluing and some steristrips, was sustained with my arm around her feeding her a squeeze fruit in the other, and she just took an unexpected dive forward. Shiitake happens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:35 am 
***LIES!!!***

I think it'd still be hard to fracture your skull on a tile floor from jumping out of the Bumbo. I'm inclined to think (as is often the case in these kinds of things), that the skull fractures are from something else already being wrong with the kid OR misreporting (because they are grouped in the category of "Bumbo was on the floor or a surface OF UNKNOWN HEIGHT").

It seriously would never have occurred to me to use the Bumbo for the bathroom purpose - but how obvious! I can't tell you how many times I pooped with that kid strapped to me in some configuration. I STILL do that when she's having a particularly clingy morning!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

good to remember that the injuries are self-reported too... i highly doubt any baby fractured their skull falling out of the bumbo while seated on the floor. lots of people use them on tables even though they know they're not supposed to, so i would assume people would lie about where the baby was at the time of the injury.

i think it's pretty dumb. people use baby gear incorrectly all the time... a little seat belt isn't going to help if you're propping baby up on a table then turning your back to chop veggies. it's the same as those walker things. the walkers themselves weren't dangerous, it was people using them near open stairwells and not babyproofing at the right height that led to injuries. i have a toddler-proofed (one step up from baby proofing!!), one floor apartment... i have no doubt that i could plop a not-yet walking baby in a walker and they'd be fine.

i personally think bumbos are a little dumb, although i used one a few times for tzipi at our local baby cafe. she was a late sitter, so it was nice to let her prop herself up with a little support while i had a coffee.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Kelly wrote:

But part of the reason people have Bumbos and exersaucers and jumperoos is to be able to get a few minutes to do stuff while the baby is safe and contained, even without complete supervision.

I don't see Bumbos on the same safety level as an exersaucer or jumperoo. Probably because I've seen my baby attempt to hurt himself every time he was near one? But I honestly had no idea that anyone saw them as a safe thing to leave your baby in while not with them (even for a few minutes). I've always seen them used for feeding, or just playing in next to their mom so mom has her hands free.

I did feel safe with my babies in their jumperoo or exersaucer so I could run around getting things done. I really just chalk this up to knowing your kid and how they react to things. I definitely understand the need for a safe place to stash an active baby, so I hope I'm not coming across as someone who doesn't get that. Silas was WILD and literally couldn't be trusted at all. Climbing and jumping was all he did for a few months there. I swear he'd just wait for the one second of freedom and already have planned hatched and ready to put in place of how to destroy himself.

I completely agree with Ariann that it's all about knowing your kid and tailoring to what they are safe with!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:52 pm 

A lot of the warnings are focused on the company covering their behind in our litigious society, too. If they told you not to do it, you can't sue them if you decide you don't need a crib because you have a Boppy Lounger or one of those bouncy seat things and your baby falls asleep in it and something happens and they stop breathing. They have to cover all the bases. Such as the hair dryer I used to have that advised me not to use it while sleeping. Because, you know, I wake up in the middle of the night styling my hair ALL the time.

I grew up with the See & Say with the string pull, and the Fisher Price Little People that were definitely small enough to fit down my windpipe, and I'm still alive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 am 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Why couldn't a kid sleep in the boppy lounger? Weird. If I had one of those I would totally let Malka sleep in it - it looks like a perfect nap spot.

There is a general warning about letting your kids sleep on soft surfaces like pillows for the first 2 years of life, because there is an increased risk of suffocation and in addition supposedly it increases SIDS risks as well.

Its hard, for me, on those days when Leela is congested and propping her up on a pillow works so well for relieving discomfort, because its hard to know if the warning is overkill and that she is going to be able to roll over if she is too deep in the pillow so she is safe on the pillow or if I'm really risking killing my kidlet.

I think its pretty easy to say that you should know your child and what is right for them, but at least for me (and I am a complete noob where it comes to kids, so this may not apply to everyone) the process of parenting involves a lot of learning and looking to experts, because her abilities are constantly evolving and there are things she can't do even though it would seem like she can. And that is when it sucks that the warnings are CYA rather than legitimate guidance.

For example, everyone told us at the hospital that by co-sleeping we were risking killing her and the term "horrific crush injuries" was used to drive home the point. And then we got home and the only place she'd sleep was with me, so we had to co-sleep or not sleep. And at that point, I really appreciated the guidance I got from you and other moms that co-sleeping wasn't really that dangerous if you do it right. If the only reason the manufacturers and hospitals don't give you guidelines for safe co-sleeping or the Bumbo, instead of demonizing it, is to cover their own asparagi for liability purposes, then it leaves parents at loose ends to interpret if the guidance is real or just CYA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am 
***LIES!!!***

I would say that a nap spot is different than an overnight sleep spot (because my assumption is that a baby napping is likely to be in the same room as the parent and the parent is likely to be awake, but that may just be in my world).

I don't know why Mr. A and I came to parenting with more self-assurance than most, but we did. The hospital didn't use the term "horrific crush injuries" with us - they instead threatened that the baby would fall out of bed and "babies don't bounce." Mr. A slept with Malka on that little bench bed the first night! Somehow she has survived us pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
The hospital didn't use the term "horrific crush injuries" with us - they instead threatened that the baby would fall out of bed and "babies don't bounce."

This is why I should never give birth in a hospital, I would not have been able to resist asking whether they'd tried throwing them down harder, and then DCFS would've been called.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

karichelle wrote:
Such as the hair dryer I used to have that advised me not to use it while sleeping. Because, you know, I wake up in the middle of the night styling my hair ALL the time.

Off topic, but I think warning is because people use hair dryers for loud white noise to help their baby sleep. Which seems quite unsafe if your hair dryer doesn't have a "cool" setting (as well as a HUGE waste of energy).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:31 pm 

helbury wrote:
karichelle wrote:
Such as the hair dryer I used to have that advised me not to use it while sleeping. Because, you know, I wake up in the middle of the night styling my hair ALL the time.

Off topic, but I think warning is because people use hair dryers for loud white noise to help their baby sleep. Which seems quite unsafe if your hair dryer doesn't have a "cool" setting (as well as a HUGE waste of energy).

I always figured people were trying to use them to warm up beds or as a heater.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:16 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
Ariann wrote:
The hospital didn't use the term "horrific crush injuries" with us - they instead threatened that the baby would fall out of bed and "babies don't bounce."

This is why I should never give birth in a hospital, I would not have been able to resist asking whether they'd tried throwing them down harder, and then DCFS would've been called.

Hahahahahaha! BEST! I kinda need a pocket annak of smart asparagus retorts...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 am 
Grandfathered In

Free-range Kids on the Bumbo recall, for those who care.