| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice for moving with baby/toddler/children
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It seems like many of you have experience moving/relocating/call-it-what-you-will with the youngins. We are*hopefully* buying our first house by month's end (Yay!) and I was hoping for any good tips or tricks you've learned along the way. The only thing I can think of is to pack baby's room last and unpack it first.

Post subject: Re: advice for moving with baby/toddler/children
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hahahaha. Ooh boy. Um, don't be like me and live out of hotels for 4 months?

How many months is babydub? Are you nursing?

Also: how much professional help will you use for the move, and do you have friends or family around who can help out with the baby? Do you have a partner who will be around during the move?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pack them in plenty of bubble wrap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:24 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I had my mother watch Walter a few times while I packed. He was ten months old I think. He slept on an air mattress with me for a few nights, we ate on a blanket on the floor. It was an adventure! Babies go with the flow as long as you stay relatively calm. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

More info... Will is almost 7 months and we're still nursing. He just recently moved to his own room and crib, if that makes any difference. The move would only be about 15 miles and we have family/friends in the area to help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

solipsistnation wrote:
Pack them in plenty of bubble wrap.

I'll be sure to stock up!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:22 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We're planning on moving across the country when Scarlett is not quite a year old and I'm already dreading it! It's going to be two adults, one 11-month-old, and two big dogs in a Toyota Matrix. Our car does have a surprising amount of room inside, but I don't think it's any match for this move. Good luck kdub!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

start packing now. no, i'm serious. put the computer down and go pack a couple boxes. i started packing almost two months before we moved and it was the best damn thing i did. my house was a barren, minimalist paradise for about a month before we moved. i packed books, pictures, cushions, knickknacks, lamps, all extraneous kitchen stuff, all but bare minimum of seasonal clothing right away.

purge. purge all the things. purge them before trying to pack. like, you should not be deciding which books to toss WHILE you are packing the bookcase up.

pack at least one box every day from now until a week or two before your move. make an EXTENSIVE list of things you will need in the last week (like, plan what you'll eat and wear and do) so you can pack everything else and set the last week stuff aside. make another list of things you will need for a day or two before moving and after moving and pack that stuff in a suitcase or something accessible.

carry around a sharpie and a notepad. write a fairly detailed list of what's inside every box on the notepaper and put it at the top of the box when it's full, and write concise version on the outside of the box in sharpie.

do not be involved in packing or moving boxes on the last day. hire people if possible. best plan is to pack yourself and bb a day bag and go out somewhere. trying to keep a baby out of the way and occupied on actual moving day is a losing game. plus your house will somehow be inexplicably disgustingly dirty.

disposable everything. diapers, plates, cutlery, wipes, etc. and take out or portable food for the last couple days.

basically, the rule is, get things done as far in advance as possible. that goes for purging, packing, any cleaning you need to have done (in the old or new place). hire out what you can and otherwise make things as easy as possible. try to have as much overlap as possible... a couple days between new and old place so you aren't as rushed. someone needs to be the full-time baby person. if you are looking after the baby, that is what you are doing... you are not also trying to move boxes or pack stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LB gives good advice!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for posting this thread. We're not looking to move for nearly a year, but still the idea seems daunting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ariann wrote:
LB gives good advice!

thanks! i have moved a lot, but actually, my move with tzipi last year was my second easiest and most organized ever (the best was the one where mr.bird's company paid for movers to come and pack our whole house and move us to montreal).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I did actually look around the house and pack a few things after reading your advice! We took some seasonal stuff out to the garage last weekend, so we just need to stay motivated!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We get moved by the Navy, so in theory they pack everything up, transport it, and unpack your things exactly the way they were before. Hahahhahaha.. ha. ha. Well, if you're doing this type of move, that's a whole different ballgame and I can give you plenty of opinions on that, but I'm going to assume you're packing your own stuff..

In which case our *unpacking* will probably be closer to your packing. I agree with getting rid of stuff. The Navy makes it so easy to just take stuff with us and figure it out later, but then it's hard to get later to actually happen. If you want to sell stuff for money, obviously there's craigslist, but other good options are donating (a few charities will pick stuff up from your doorstep, and you can schedule purple heart veterans online, for example. These aren't, like, terrifically run charities, but I think they employ disabled vets at least so if I'm not feeling picky I don't really care) and just freecycling/free craigslisting. What I do is just put everything outside, post a thing on CL with my address, and update the post as things go away. Usually everything's gone w/in half an hour - it is AMAZING what people will take if it's free. This weekend I'm planning on taking a load of stuff to the local animal charity rummage sale.

If you're just moving across town I'm guessing you'll just take your food, but I did discover too late that Food Not Bombs groups will sometimes take open containers of things, which would have saved me throwing out a lot of perfectly good oils, vinegars, soy sauce, beans, booze, stuff like that. (Does FNB take booze? Is there a Booze Not Bombs?) I donated most of the unopened stuff to a food pantry unless it was kinda weird stuff only a vegan could love.

We coslept and after 4 months of nomad living, Vi wasn't really picky about having a bedroom set up, so I focused unpacking efforts on the kitchen and living room and guest room (because my MIL was staying with us to watch Vi). As long as everything gets well labelled and in the right room (easier said than done) it will be easy to unpack and rearrange later.

If you have any control over it (we never do), I recommend getting furniture where you want and THEN bringing in boxes. If you have movers taking apart your furniture, make sure you know where the hardware to put it back together goes, and if they put it all in one box, if you can stand there over them and put it into different labelled ziploc bags I highly recommend doing so (and then keeping the box on your person and not letting it out of your sight! traumatic bed experience recently, can you tell?).

If you have any kind of professional movers and can spare the space, I recommend designating one part of your home as a DO NOT MOVE zone. If you can't spare a room, at least mark off a kitchen cabinet or something. This is nice to have a place to retreat to nurse/change the baby. Be sure to put up signs and deterrents of all kinds to reinforce that they are not to pack/move this area.

More later...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

7 bags of clothes to donate!
I also like the suggestion of the list inside the box. It's simple, but genius.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If you're going to make the detailed lists I would take a cell phone pic of each one so you have an inventory if the box is lost! Unfortunately we use pro packers who write things like "wires" on the outside and the form and that is it. We have, i turns out, 20 boxes worth of WIRES. "Games" is another one that can mean anything from board games to video games/consoles to books to junk mail.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

We are also military (Army), and we moved when my son was 5 months old, from MO to NY, and he was a car screamer at that point. The best thing I did then, was fly my mother out to do the drive with me. When we got there, I found a babysitter, and had her hang out with my son while I unpacked. Was great for me to get some unpacking done, and great for me to get to know her.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh dear Lard. We are moving in two months to Iceland. Our stuff will take 12 days to arrive, so we have some days on one end and some days on the other living with whatever we can take on the plane. I am overwhelmed with how difficult this is going to be. I've managed to arrange for the ship, we don't have an apartment yet but I'm working on it (HR at my new job is helping with finding an apartment, too), now we need to get boxes and pallets and plastic to wrap the pallets and holy toledo how on earth is this manageable? seriously, littlemap is almost 4 months, he wakes up every 3 hours to eat, I am a zombie, making dinner and washing dishes is a challenge... I love the "pack now" advice but i can't even. Our apartment is too small, we can't live with boxes filling up our floor space. Even trying to figure out what to bring on the plane is hard! We are bringing the baby and the cat so we can only manage one suitcase each. Sleeping bags or bedding of some kind? Clothes? I'm going to have to start working right after we arrive! Littlemap will have to use disposable diapers I think for a while. I really don't see how I can stockpile breastmilk and take it on the plane, how will there be room?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh dear! I feel like first I should post "breathe in...breathe out". :) We're getting ready to move (to where we don't know yet) in July, and I'm already dreading it, and I won't be working, and Freya is like a year older than littlemap. So, you definitely have my sympathy!

Is there anyone who could come and babysit littlemap some while you're in the house packing? Even maybe a teen who could just play with him? You could hire packers too, though I don't have any idea how expensive that would be.

For the plane, are you planning to have littlemap in a sling, etc. or are you taking a stroller? (or both, I suppose). You can get quite a lot in just a few bags. Remember that you'll have carryons (backpacks are fantastic in this measure) and littlemap probably gets a baggage allowance too, even if you're not paying for a seat, AND baby food, strollers, car seats all don't count toward luggage requirements on most airlines. With just K and I traveling this past summer, with Freya, we were okay carrying two suitcases, two backpacks and two or three small bags (including one with frozen breastmilk) and a pram. We took the Mei Tai too, but the pram was nice for zipping through the airport, and it held our stuff a couple of times too.

Think about what you *really* need on the plane/those first few days, and what you can buy when you get there (nappies, shampoo, etc.) If you choose your clothes wisely, you can just wash them frequently, so you won't need to take lots with you. I'm sure your new boss will understand if you wear the same jacket twice in a week or something. :)

Some other thoughts: If you're going to be in Reykjavik, there might be some sort of rental agency where you can just rent a whole mess of crepe (bed, kitchen table, even sheets or a television) for a couple of weeks until your own stuff arrives. Seems unlikely that this would exist in smaller locales, but it's possible.

Be sure that you're not moving any superfluous stuff too...we've been slowly trying to rid ourselves of anything we don't need/use.

Whew.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If I never post on the PPK again, it's because moving at the end of this month with 2 kids, 3 dogs, and a husband who will be out of town frequently (including the day after we close) has killed me. It's been lovely knowing you all! (In all seriousness, I've been trying to follow the advice to pack all the time, but it's really, really hard with everything going on.)