| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: does the bloated feeling ever go away?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I just found out recently that I am pregnant. I don’t even know when Im due because the Dr’s office wont see you until you are 8-10 weeks. If I was to guess I would guess Im somewhere in the 2-5 weeks along category. Ive felt insanely bloated for a few weeks. Does this die down or should I expect to be this bloated for the next 9+ months?
My clothes alredy feel tight. Im wearing a skirt today and it zips on the side and I have it half unzipped so it’s not squeezing my stomach and making me feel ill.
Overall I have to say I haven’t been very nauseous or had food aversions. Every now and then I will feel like I want to puke and then it goes away after a bit. this morning I had my husband make me a smoothie and ive never regretted anything so much in my life. I think it was too much acid too early in the morning. even before I was pregnant sometimes it was a bit rough on my stomach. I am surprised I actually made it to work I felt so ill. I didn’t actually puke but I felt so nauseous and my stomach hurt.
The nausea seems to have abated for the most part now but now I am so tired and I am just so bloated feeling. I feel like everyone must already be able to tell im pregnant even though im only a few weeks along. I feel like a giant marshmallow.
I just want to go home and go to sleep but I have so much work to do before tomorrow :-(

Post subject: Re: does the bloated feeling ever go away?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Well, when my daughter was about 1 year old I felt a little flatter... At least for me, no. You're going to become seriously bloated. I had to stop sleeping on my belly (favorite position) almost immediately after the positive pregnancy test. Pea Pod is 3.5 and I still have weird bloated feelings. But! You have a new normal of beautiful and comfort. I wish you luck with your pregnancy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 am 
***LIES!!!***

My bloated feeling went away around when I started to show - 12 weeks or so. Food aversions and pukiness went away around 14 weeks. Most women say the first trimester feels the worst in terms of food issues and tiredness and that the second trimester brings back at least some of your energy and "normal" feeling. After the first trimester I felt pretty much good up till the end and had a lot of energy right up till I gave birth. My only serious symptom past the first trimester was terrible heartburn, which unfortunately I still have sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I hated wearing pants for a while, then I actually fit into them again for a few weeks before I started showing. It didn't last forever. Of course, at some point you'll have a round belly, but hopefully it won't feel the same as that initial puffy, bloated, gassy feeling where you want to punch anything with a waistband. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm about 6 weeks and feel your pain. Even clothes I put on in the morning start feeling uncomfortable by the afternoon. By the time I leave school pants are definitely unbuttoned and I'm loving dresses/skirts but worry the bloating looks more obvious an Ill be outed. I also get hungry and after two bites am full but then get hungry again a few minutes later. I guess I shouldn't complain since I'm not getting sick (at least not so far)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

I had a ton of bloating early in my pregnancy, and it showed up basically right away. It did balance out though; the bloating itself started fading after six or seven weeks, and my stomach settled down overall after the first three months or so. Clothing that didn't fit me at six weeks did fit at 12, which was weird!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

chiveggie wrote:
I'm about 6 weeks and feel your pain. Even clothes I put on in the morning start feeling uncomfortable by the afternoon. By the time I leave school pants are definitely unbuttoned and I'm loving dresses/skirts but worry the bloating looks more obvious an Ill be outed. I also get hungry and after two bites am full but then get hungry again a few minutes later. I guess I shouldn't complain since I'm not getting sick (at least not so far)

wow. sounds like we are having some very similar experiences. it's died down a bit now but i had the thing for awhile where i would feel so full and bloated that i felt like i couldn't eat anything and i would feel mildly nauseous. then 5 mins later i would be ravenously hungry all of a sudden. eat two bites then feel full/bloated again.

so crazy.

i also feel like my bloated stomach is going to out me. i feel like it's really huge.
hopefully people just think im fat, i want to be able to tell people on my own terms and when i want to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Trust me, people are not noticing even though you think it's obvious. I was able to get away with "I'm just getting fat" until 20 weeks and I gained a TON of weight early on in my pregnancy. I found that buying some regular clothes just one size up from my normal size was better early on than buying maternity clothes (plus you can wear the regular ones while you're coming down in size after the baby's born). Maternity clothes are designed to make you look as pregnant as possible, regular clothes are often designed to obscure tummies. Avoid the empire waist as long as you can!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes, totally Ariann! I need something to wear to a wedding soon and I've been trying to figure out if there is such a thing as a nursing dress that is not also meant to be worn during pregnancy, because every nursing dress I've found makes me look pregnant again and that's not exactly what I'm going for.

Anyway, I only felt bloated for a short time early on. Having a huge belly was somehow less uncomfortable for me than early pregnancy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

for your due date, when did you test? when was your last period? you can't be only 2 weeks, unless you're counting from ovulation, not period.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

The first day of my last period was 7/16. Ive done those “due date calculations” and they confuse me and make my brain hurt but I think one of them told me April 20 was roughly my due date. I think that is too early.
Im thinking I probably got pregnant around the beginning of August which would give me probably a May-ish due date but I honestly don’t know. im just waiting for a dr to tell me.
I forget when I took the test. I think I was 8 days late and now im 14 days “late” so maybe 8/22ish is when I took the test?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
The first day of my last period was 7/16. Ive done those “due date calculations” and they confuse me and make my brain hurt but I think one of them told me April 20 was roughly my due date. I think that is too early.
Im thinking I probably got pregnant around the beginning of August which would give me probably a May-ish due date but I honestly don’t know. im just waiting for a dr to tell me.
I forget when I took the test. I think I was 8 days late and now im 14 days “late” so maybe 8/22ish is when I took the test?

The calculator sounds right. Due dates are calculated as 40 weeks after your last menstrual period started, so your OB is going to give you the exact same date as an online calendar. If your LMP started 7/16, you'd be considered about 6 weeks pregnant now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mooo wrote:
Yes, totally Ariann! I need something to wear to a wedding soon and I've been trying to figure out if there is such a thing as a nursing dress that is not also meant to be worn during pregnancy, because every nursing dress I've found makes me look pregnant again and that's not exactly what I'm going for.

Anyway, I only felt bloated for a short time early on. Having a huge belly was somehow less uncomfortable for me than early pregnancy.

There are a couple Nixilu dresses which can be ordered online. I dunno if they will work for you, but I like their line. They are expensive, but I have 2 shirts from them I really like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:50 pm 

Thanks, I'll check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm almost 12 weeks now and I've felt bloated since the beginning. Early pregnancy symptoms are very much like PMS (at least for me). Bloating, crampy, etc. I gave up on my pre pregnancy pants this week. I went out and bought a bunch of larger sized tops and four pairs of maternity pants. I went for the maternity pants this early because they are stretchy and I hope they will last me a long time. Being comfortable in my clothes helped me feel much better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
Semen Strong

The bloated feeling is replaced slowly by that tight feeling accompanied by that "holyshitIcan'tpossiblygetbiggerthanthis" feeling and of course lots of heartburn and constant peeing. All while a small human dances the jig on your bladder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ariann wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

The calculator sounds right. Due dates are calculated as 40 weeks after your last menstrual period started, so your OB is going to give you the exact same date as an online calendar. If your LMP started 7/16, you'd be considered about 6 weeks pregnant now.

yep, the ob is going to go by last menstrual period, unless you have good reason to suspect that ovulation took place much later than the standard "14 days after." i ovulated almost 4 weeks after my LMP for my first pregnancy... i was charting and so am fairly certain of that date, but i had to fight with my hcp to use that date instead of the LMP.

if you are really uncertain of the dates (i.e, can't remember the LMP, didn't have sex within the "normal" window etc) they will probably offer you a dating scan. they are very accurate in the early weeks, as embryos usually grow at a very set pace. i got one done and it did in fact confirm my suspected ovulation date. you can call your doctor and ask them to order you one, even if they don't normally see you until later on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

littlebird wrote:
Ariann wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

yep, the ob is going to go by last menstrual period, unless you have good reason to suspect that ovulation took place much later than the standard "14 days after." i ovulated almost 4 weeks after my LMP for my first pregnancy... i was charting and so am fairly certain of that date, but i had to fight with my hcp to use that date instead of the LMP.

if you are really uncertain of the dates (i.e, can't remember the LMP, didn't have sex within the "normal" window etc) they will probably offer you a dating scan. they are very accurate in the early weeks, as embryos usually grow at a very set pace. i got one done and it did in fact confirm my suspected ovulation date. you can call your doctor and ask them to order you one, even if they don't normally see you until later on.

Just FYI "dating ultrasounds" are often not covered by insurance. Check before you scan!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

oops, universal health care privilege showing there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I got burned so much with pregnancy-related insurance stuff, so I like to warn people!

I think my last pregnancy related bill maybe just got resolved. And that one was for something that is not only routine, but required by law!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 pm 
Semen Strong

GAAAAAAAH! Insurance. I just gave up on the stupid bill for the hearing test - mandated by law, I was given no choice about it or even told about it. The testers charged me $150 and don't take my insurance: Blue Cross Blue Shield, which is a huge provider. BCBS finally agreed to pay me $10 for the test but can't manage to get it together to issue the check for the last 6 months!

I am having my next kid at home or in Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm 

That is unbelievable. I was on Medicaid for my pregnancy and it covered all my prenatal care and my home birth (although I chose not to do any ultrasounds or genetic screening, but I know that it would have been covered). The hearing test and all other newborn care for the first month were included in my midwives' global fee. I know that they don't get reimbursed enough, though, which makes me feel horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 pm 
Semen Strong

My midwife got around $2,500 for my whole pregnancy and the hospital got nearly 2x that just for providing a room for 3 days. Piffle. Here is the breakdown: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16506&hilit=insurance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have no idea what my midwives got paid, but the anesthesiologist got $8000 for placing an epidural and checking it once.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

littlebird wrote:
oops, universal health care privilege showing there!

Me too.

other than the fact that I love it here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, the more I read about insurance battles and expensive testing/care, the happier I am to live in a country where all maternity care is provided free of charge, and children's doctors visits are free up till the age of 6. I can't imagine having to worry over costs as well as everything else that you've got to deal with during pregnancy/infancy!