| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exercising with babies/toddlers?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'd love to hear any ideas about what you all do for exercise (for yourselves primarily) with your babies/kids. F's approaching a year and we've seemed to have nailed down our breastfeeding woes pretty well, so I'm experimenting with a bit more calorie control and trying to lose weight. In the past though (I used to be a *really* big girl), exercise has been the key for me. I can restrict an awful lot, but moving and grooving helps keep me fit much more easily.

Right now, I have about 40lbs (yikes!) I'd like to shed, along with some other fitness goals like strengthening my back muscles and healing an ailing ankle (seeing a physio for this). The trouble so far is, that the exercises that I know and love are hard to work in with a baby and a husband working full-time.

We walk a good bit every day, in a couple of chunks (to protect ankle, physio says no more than 30 mins at a time). Aside from that it's mostly household stuff (hanging laundry, cleaning floors, walking up and down the stairs nine million times) and baby play (dancing, etc). We haven't tried swimming yet, but hoping to soon.

So yeah...there's my tale. I'm hoping it will get a bit easier in a couple months if we can shake the whole lovely separation anxiety hysteria, then maybe I can swap with another mom for gym time or something.

Post subject: Re: Exercising with babies/toddlers?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Having children has definitely improved my upper body strength. I do 20 or so baby curls daily, and plenty of toddler dead lifts and one-armed pickups, not to mention the occasional bout of baby bench pressing and toddler snatches.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 pm 

Heh. I do feel some days like I could bench-press the car, after 14 hours of baby-lifting. Maybe in another of couple months when F is running around all toddler-style, I won't have to worry about the cardio part either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There are some really crappy gym childcares but there are also some really good ones (I used to work in an awesome, very very expensive one) if that's an option. I know the staff at the one I worked at were all total pros at dealing with separation anxiety. But then there are also the ones that play movies and don't change diapers...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know it's not exercising WITH my kid, but I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for the past two months. The great thing is that each workout is only 20 minutes long, so you can easily fit it in during naptime! It's tough, but I'm definitely seeing results.

http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels- ... +day+shred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I think we have the same kind of situation Freya, in that naptime isn't available for exercise because our kids need us near them to nap, right? And I don't know about you, but I don't think that with my knees I could do 30 day shred ATM. I did it once before and loved it, but it has a fair amount of bouncing...

We have a gym that has daycare and I am thinking of starting there, but until then (1) my husband took L while I went to PT, which was cool and (2) now I do my doggie walking with her in the stroller. I'd love to do a real work-out with her, but yoga with children was fun but really not exercise as she just had a blast crawling around and I ended up nursing her for the last 1/3 after she tuckered herself out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 pm 
Chip Strong

I've been going for quick runs while my partner stays home with Scarlett, and we go on hikes with her in a carrier when it's not too hot. We're so excited for fall hiking! It sucks that your ankles can't handle too much refinnej, but maybe you could get more intense exercise by doing a 30 minute uphill hike?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 pm 

Tofulish, your gym doesn't take kids until they're one? That's crazy! I've heard of gyms that won't take until six months, but the one where I worked took babies at 6 weeks and we usually had a ton of 6 week old babies. (Within our ratios, of course--there could be two kids under 2 or 8 kids 2+ per staff person.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mostly I walk. Today I walked at least 7 miles and probably closer to 8, this is ore than normal, but it's what we do. He that Grey is nearly walking I spend a lot of time holding his hand while he walks too. I try and go to yoga on the weekends, but realistically that is only happening one weekend a month. I have been experimenting with jogging but it hurts my knees and I think until I am carrying Grey less my knees just can't handle it. Grey likes me to hold him so I carry him around a lot. I can't do anything while he naps and I am way too tired after he goes to bed and I am a morning person anyway. I have lost 70+ pounds since he was born!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

I joined the Y, and they have really wonderful child care at the location I go to. It was great until Sven developed separation anxiety. They've been helping me work through it and get him adjusted again, but it's slow going and I haven't gotten to work out for more than 10 minutes at a stretch. I haven't been able to swim laps at all since the anxiety started.

We also go to crawler and toddler yoga twice a week. I try to get to a weekend yoga class solo while my husband is home, but it doesn't always happen. At home I do pilates and yoga videos -- usually just the short 15-20 minute workouts, but if he's not napping Sven loves to giggle at me in all the funny poses and crawl on top of me. I have one that incorporates your baby into poses and it's pretty fun too.

I really want to start walking with him, but it's still a million degrees here. We hardly go outside at in the summer! I'm trying to score a jogging stroller on Craigslist so I can start running again in the winter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LB, that is really amazing. I fantasize that if I stayed home I would walk that much, but who knows. I used to walk 8-10 miles a day by either finagling my commute (get off subway a mile early in the morning, skip the subway on the way home, then about a mile round trip to our local train) or doing marathon treadmill sessions watching movies. I wasn't that thin then, but I felt good and I could walk quickly!

Our gym takes babies starting at 3 months, for 2 hours a day for a cost of $10/month above the membership fee (which is ridiculous at like $90, but even if my husband just went to hang out there in their cafe and used their babysitting as respite care during the day, that's potentially 60 hours of babysitting a month for $100 - a steal I think). They don't change diapers (they page you if they need a diaper change, which hasn't happened in the 9 months we've been using them), but they are AWESOME. They have a variety of areas for kids from infants to pre-teens, including a mini basketball court. All the babysitters know Malka and she has a bunch of fun there. You have to make an appointment up to 2 days in advance for babies under 12 months - today they went to the gym and used the babysitting with no appointment for the first time!

I find that there's no way for me to exercise with Malka actually around except for walking, which she doesn't always tolerate.

I am totally impressed by people who can do 30 Day Shred. Maybe I'll try again soon. Pre-pregnancy I could get through maybe 15 minutes of the first level.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 pm 

I always hear that some gym daycares don't change diapers, and I think it's so weird! I know this is off-topic, but I just don't understand it. Our policy was that every diaper-wearing child was checked every 30 minutes. (Obviously any time a dirty diaper was noticed it was changed, but there would be a thorough check every half hour.) Kids could stay for a maximum of three hours, and it was pretty common for parents to use the full time. But we also fed infants and children (prepared and warmed bottles, spoon fed, fed solid food, etc.) put them down for naps, checked blood sugar of diabetic kids, and stuff like that. Also the gym was really expensive. I frequently won prizes for changing the most diapers in a month, just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
Semen Strong

I wonder if its due to liability concerns with having someone having access to a naked kiddo. If there were allegations that a child was touched inappropriately, it would probably kill a gym that had a large number of parents....

Our gym takes kids after 6 months. Sorry my writing was unclear, S.Rock! I kind of can't bear the thought of leaving her alone and having her miss me, which is probably ridiculous. But even if I leave her with a friend for a few minutes, she is just not having it and gets really upset, and I hate the idea of her being sad. I'm sure it'll get better soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mm, more seriously, walking around with a baby strapped to your back is pretty good exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:18 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I wonder if its due to liability concerns with having someone having access to a naked kiddo. If there were allegations that a child was touched inappropriately, it would probably kill a gym that had a large number of parents....

Yeah, we had a lot of rules about stuff...the bathroom had a half door so even if the door was closed while you were changing a diaper, people could see. (This was especially useful for potty training kids who wanted privacy but needed help.) We were encouraged to leave it entirely open, though. You could never be alone with a kid in a different bathroom. We also had to log every diaper change. I know I'm totally derailing this thread, it just seems bizarre to me to not change diapers because some kids poop a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Most of my exercise with kids comes in the form of transporting them places and walking. I was logging it for a while in the past few months and discovered that I haul the kids something like 90 minutes a day on average (usually split into about 30 minute chunks or smaller). So far I've lost 65 lbs since the Magician was born (which is 10 on top of the 55 I gained with him, but still 20 over my long term goal) mainly through that and food tracking. Walking doesn't sound like much, but done in quantity (especially if you can strap a 20 lb baby to yourself somewhere, ha ha) it does have impact.

My sister had a Wii Fit for a long time and found that her son was interested in watching and mimicking her while she did the exercises for that. Not my cup of tea, but it could be really fun if your kid was into it. She also got a treadmill and an elliptical (both used on craigslist, so cheap!) and would use them after he went to bed at night.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Personally I would rather have a gym come get me than be changing my baby's diaper. I don't want to have to worry about putting V in disposables (or risking my cloth diapers being pitched or whatever!!!) or leaving changing supplies with the childcare people or whatever.. It just seems easier for them to get me if she needs something.

Anyway I just went to the Y for the first time today - we signed up over the weekend. A family membership was only $40/month I think for military! The childcare seems really great, Vi was having a blast and it has a connected, fenced in outdoor area they can go in and out of. No, they don't change diapers, but like I said I don't think I'd want them to! But it's not like she's going to need a change in the ~40 minutes or so I spend working out.

We also take her running in the BOB Ironman stroller - it's one of few jogging strollers I'd actually jog with, but it's worked great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Soo.. I have been using www.myfitnesspal.com to track my food intake and exercise. It has really made me aware of what I have been eating, and it allows me to really challenge myself in terms of the exercise I have been doing. After babe #3, the weight stuck around and I expanded even more. I've lost quite a bit (I think I had about 45 to lose this time-yikes), but since my son drenched the digital scale in water, I have no idea how much I've lost. With 3, I can no longer take the jogging stroller every morning (I'm basically doing most of this on my own). So I walk a LOT. I walk everywhere. Grocery store or my favourite neighbourhood that is about a 30-35 mn walk there (yes with a 5 and almost 4 your old plus baby in stroller) and then the same return. Unless I'm going pretty far, I walk everywhere. My children must have some of the strongest legs ever (I don't force them if they say they're tired-then we take the bus :) I also love the 30 day shred and another one of Jillian Michael (fat blaster or something like that).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

we don't have access to a gym with childcare around here. the Y is already stupid expensive and their childcare is ridic... you have to sign up in advance, and you get notified if there's a spot (and pay extra for it). no way i'm paying through the nose for a full membership and then waiting around with bated breath to see if i can even use it.

anyway, when tzipi and i were home together (until 18 months) we did a bunch of different stuff. i found mom and baby yoga kinda dumb as far as exercise for me. there's only a tiny window when it's even doable, i think (before real mobility) and if they are fussy or crawling around, you spend the class dealing with them instead of actually doing exercises. swimming was not bad, but again, the classes were not really geared to get mom/dad moving. there was some incidental moving, but not enough to shed any significant weight.

top three exercising options?

0-12 months -- walking with baby carrier: we walked around the mall a lot when the weather was crappy (too cold/hot), and walked around the neighbourhood a lot when it was nice. i tried to get out almost every day for a walk. we had a pass to the botanical gardens and that was a wonderful place to walk in the spring, summer and fall. the extra weight of the baby (whether they're on your back or front) really increases the intensity. even just grocery shopping with the baby on your back is a work out!

6 months- 2+ yrs -- jogging stroller: i don't run. i am anti-running in all its forms (except escaping wild animals) and the jogging stroller was still a great purchase. in the winter, we used it to skate on the outdoor rinks. the rest of the year, we used it on the weekends for longer hikes and walks. if i had not been able to get to some yoga classes on my own once a week or so, i would have probably bitten the bullet and actually used the jogging stroller for jogging by myself, but my husband takes tzipi running at least once a week in the stroller.

1+ yrs -- bike: we got a bike seat and helmet for tzipi after she turned one, and we've been using it a lot this summer especially.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:43 pm 
Semen Strong

LB, your post is hilarious, and makes me want to hug you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh yes, I forgot about the bike! We are using it more and more. Today I finally for the first time ever made it all the way up the giant hill home without walking! I am extremely proud of myself. Poor Nate is working from home and I made him come outside and look at me, haha. Then I made him carry Grey upstairs because I was dying.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:45 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tofulish wrote:
LB, your post is hilarious, and makes me want to hug you.

haha, thanks! i usually want to hug you too, so, score!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm 

Thanks for all of the comments. Carrying Freya in the MeiTai would be an easy way to burn a bit more...why didn't I think of that? When she was small, she hated any form of sling/carrier with the burning heat of the sun, so we just got used to the stroller, which she loves (and more importantly, she could sleep in there). She digs the MT most of the time now, and we have a couple of others that we can experiment with too.

@ c&s: I actually just tried the WiiFit yesterday for the first time with Freya. I do enjoy it, but she was a bit muddled, trying to watch the TV and play with her things at the same time. We did a couple of the balance games together while I was holding her...that was interesting!

littlebird, I'd never thought of skating with the stroller, what a cool idea! Nice and safe too, even if you wipe out. Skating is nixed for right now, but I'm going to keep that in mind!

mamatafari, I had MFP on my phone before Freya. I need to update it I think, because it really did help me keep track of things. I used FitDay a bit too, as you could make custom goals for things like drinking enough water or protein intake. I was/am worried about my calcium intake, so I had that on there.

The having to sleep with baby at naps does make it more challenging. I'm torn between wanting to push it with her, and just wanting to enjoy this time (plus, in the morning I take a nap too usually to recover from her lovely waking nights). My hope, after seeing what lots of kids I work with have done, is that another 3 or 4 months will see a big change in sleep habits and then maybe that hour or so of time to do "stuff" like exercise will appear. Also, the separation anxiety should be better and maybe she can try the gym daycare. Right now, she would just be unbelievably sad. :(

Walk more, eat less. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:35 pm 

My plan, and I've only been doing this for a week, but my partner is babysitting while I go running. I feel guilty about working away from home and not spending enough time with babynut, but I'm miserable at this weight and need to make my health/mood a priority right now. We have a running stroller, but when I can go is not a good time for her to be happy in the stroller so it's just easier for me to go by myself. My partner runs pretty much everyday with her while she takes her morning nap in the stroller. When I take her afterwork, however, she is fussy.

Littlebear, congrats on the fitness achievements! You are an inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just walk. I try for 2-3 miles a day. Fortunately our neighborhood is hilly, so that adds some oomph. I tried jogging but I hate jogging with the stroller, and going to the gym with child care would be a huge ordeal for us. Eating less has made a big difference for me--I've lost about 20 pounds in two months. I was doing a lot of self pity eating because I was ragged from lack of sleep. Finally getting some sleep has helped the weight come off, too, so I hope that happens for you soon.