| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bactrim during pregnancy?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i woke up tuesday morning and i felt like i had a UTI. it was mild but having had one a few times before i recognized the symptoms and i was freaked out since im 7 weeks pregnant. i wanted to take care of it right away. so i called the doctor and went in and peed in a cup.
they said they were sending my sample out to a lab to be tested but would give me an antibiotic in the mean time (which was good because last year i had a UTI and they made me wait forever before they gave me drugs and by the time they gave me meds i had a full blown bladder infection and a raging fever and missed werk for 3 days)

i told them i was pregnant and when the medical assistant called me back she said she was giving me bactrim and she SPECIFICALLY SAID it was safe to take during pregnancy.

now i just took tonight's dosage and i noticed it says right on the bottle DO NOT TAKE IF YOU BECOME PREGNANT.

everywhere i search on the internet says not to take it if you are pregnant.
im so irritated right now.
i want to believe my dr but i also want to believe the bottle.

i went to my regular dr and not my obgyn but i feel like this should be common knowledge for a dr.
why would a dr give me something i cant take?!??!?!?!?!

the only thing im wondering is it seems like every drug says not to take it while you're pregnant.

grrrrrrrrr..........

sorry if im ranting but i was just about to go to bed. im completely exhausted and having been feeling like blaaargggghhhh for all of this week and now i feel like ive taken something that i shouldnt have.

AHHHHH!!!!!

i think im going to stop taking it. i actually felt much better tuesday afternoon before i even got any meds at all so i wonder if i just panicked and it was just something random that felt like UTI symptoms.

sorry

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

Post subject: Re: bactrim during pregnancy?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Hey Lisa, it is really frustrating to have to take medication during pregnancy... Pretty much nothing is definitively bad or good!

For what it's worth, I was prescribed bactrim by an OBGYN in the L&D ward of the hospital when I ended up there with a kidney infection (from a silent UTI) around 20 weeks into my first pregnancy. Turns out I'm allergic to it, but I did take it about a week before my normal OB switched me to something else. My kid doesn't have flippers or anything.

If you are particularly concerned, you could call back and see if they will prescribe you something else without an additional appointment-- plain old amoxicillin is considered very safe in pregnancy and can work well for UTIs.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks. i think im just freaking out because i am so damn exhausted and while i havent been puking-sick ive just had a general feeling of bleeehhhhhh and nausea for a few weeks and i feel totally run down. so when i saw that i kind of flipped.
it seems like one of those things "the benefits can outweigh the negatives"

i stopped taking it though as now im not even sure i ever had a UTI to begin with. i think that was another panic moment.

neep nao now. :-/

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sometimes things say don't take while pregnant or ask a professional before taking etc is just to cover their asparagi if anything does happen. I would be comfortable taking something like that if i were pregnant and they said it was ok.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]