| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to be supportive of mom on bed rest?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 am 
Saggy Butt

A family member (stepson's wife) is five months pregnant with twins, and has recently been ordered on complete bed rest. They live in easy driving distance, so I'm trying to think of ways to be helpful without being intrusive. This evening we're taking dinner over, from a restaurant of their choosing.

I'm hoping some of the moms here who have been on bed rest (or those who haven't) could share their thoughts on what they found helpful or not helpful with involvement from family members and friends. Also, what kinds of things did you enjoy most, or would you have liked to have had, as treats or gifts to lift your spirits?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: How to be supportive of mom on bed rest?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:28 am 
Semen Strong

I think every mom is different. I'd ask her how you can support her, because that is what would occur for me as most respectful.

You can offer to help pick stuff up for her, do light cleaning or give her a gift certificate to a local cleaning service, come over and play board games, get her DVDs of shows she likes, pick up and return library books, get her a nice diffuser and essential oils to help make her room even more calming and relaxing...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My mother was on strict bed rest for one of her pregnancies. She appreciated company and entertainment (crosswords, card games... I suppose that in the days of laptops and tablets this is much less of an issue), but she says the very best present a friend gave her was to wash her hair, as she wasn't even allowed to get up to shower for several months.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

If she has a laptop and is into the idea, what about a month membership to hulu or netflix streaming? I agree on asking what she'd like is best - I had people come over and helped me clean, but the idea of them cleaning the house drove me nuts. I just really liked having someone there to talk to, and to tell me what's going on in the outside world.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:04 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

def talk to her and find out what she could use!! i had a friend on bed rest for her triplets when i was pregnant with my twins and she was thrilled just to have someone (that wasn't her family) to talk to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I talked to her about it and it turns out that just having someone to visit was what she wanted the most. She suggested I could come over for lunch when I wanted. That will also help dad a little, since he packs her food every day and leaves it in a cooler next to the bed. Hoping she doesn't get hospitalized for the duration after her doctor's appointment today, they've been told that may happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 am 
Semen Strong

Oh wow! Sending tons of good thoughts to her and the babies!