burn the whole box 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
throw everything out 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
wash what you need and throw the rest out 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
wash everything, take what i need, find a home for the rest 93%  93%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: what would you do?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i have this random box of weird cloth diapers in my possession.

my aunt's friend's daughter in law was apparently pregnant and was planning on doing cloth and then changed her mind last minute or something. so my aunt's friend had got this box of used diapers "somewhere on the internet" and eventually they got dumped on me (oh you have a baby? here is crepe we dont want!"

so they are used, which is fine, but they are from some random place on the internet. they've been sitting in a box in the nursery for i dont know how long because they look huge.

i went through them the other day and there are WAY too many for one baby so i was picking out ones i might want to use and then towards the bottom i started to find little tiny black "things" here and there. not tons but i found some.

my best guess is that it is mouse poop. i dont see any other evidence of mouse habitation (nothing is chewed on) but im like 99% sure it's mouse poop and my husband thinks so too.

so now im completely horrified and totally grossed out.

i want to toss the entire box in the trash and run screaming the other way.
my husband thinks i am overreacting (probably) and i should just wash everythign and take what we want and give the rest away.

i took about 14 diapers and covers out yesterday for us to use and washed and dried them and i want to toss te rest out because......mouse poop.

and frankly i dont know what to do with a bunch of cloth diapers. i dont know anyone who uses them besides us and i know A LOT of people who just had babies.
this giant box also came with a HUGE bag of disposable inserts that ih ave no use for (no mouse poop in there i dont think)
im actually kind of baffled at what the point of the disposable insert is. i mean if you have to wash the diaper anyways????

Post subject: Re: what would you do?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I would wash them with bleach and sell that shiitake on Craigslist! Make some money off your suffering.

The disposable liners are dumb for breastfed poop but become invaluable when you introduce solids. I'd hang on to those.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we're gonna start solids soon so maybe ill stash the liners in teh closet and then one day ill have the revelation "OH THATS WHY THOSE ARE GOOD!"

hehehe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, wash with bleach, maybe a couple of times. Sun-dry if you can since it will sun-bleach stains and kill any remaining odors.

If you aren't going to use them, and if mice haven't chewed on them, find them a home. They're expensive and somebody will be glad to have them. Heck, they're just going to be pooped on some more anyway, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm not a parent - but I do laundry! I agree - I would wash more than once, use bleach, and find a dryer with a sanitize setting if you can.