| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Car (seat) Talk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:40 pm 
Semen Strong

lobsteriffic wrote:
I just want someone to say here is the one perfect car seat for you!

I would ask Carseats for the Littles - if you tell them which kind of car your parents have and how big, old etc your child is/will be when you travel, and what your budget is, then they can recommend one to you. I find them really helpful.

We have the Cosco Scenera as a travel seat - it's light (much less padded), easy to install and it allows us to avoid risking our seat when we check it etc. Leela was perfectly comfortable in it, both on the flight and in the car. I do love our Diono, but it's so expensive.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks Tlish I will do that!

I was looking at the Graco Contender because apparently it's good for tall kids and isn't awful to install/uninstall but I'm going to ask the experts and see what they say!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Has anyone switched their preschooler to a booster seat (the kind with a five-point harness)? When did you do it? I absolutely hate Edie's car seat and I was considering giving her Sven's Britax Advocate Clicktight and getting a Britax Pinnacle Clicktight booster for Sven. He'll be 4 in January. I don't really know what his height or weight are (though he's very average and has always been just about 50%) but he's well above the height/weight minimums. Are boosters with five-point harnesses any less safe than a convertible? The Pinnacle would keep him in a 5-point harness longer than most seats I've seen so far so long run it would be nice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I didn't even know you could get a booster with 5 point harness! I thought it was just HBB with belt positioning and NBB. So glad there are more options!

The CSFTL review used it with a 4 year old and it looks nice! http://csftl.org/britax-pinnacle-review/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There are several harnessed boosters on CSFTL....really digging that site. Going to order a seat later this week. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what age did people switch their kids from rear facing to forward facing?
we have a britax convertible seat and rear facing is 0-40 lbs, forward facing is 20-70 lbs which means BP will be rear facing until she is in college. the height for rear facing and forward facing is the same (0-49 inches)

BP weighs just over 20 lbs. my whole thought on this has always been keep her rear facing as long as i can and shes never seemed to care and has always been good in the car but the last few car rides she kept flinging her toys around then yelling at me to get them for her which obviously regardless of whether she's forward or rear facing nothing will change the fact that im driving and cant get things out of my reach but at least i would be able to see what the hell she is doing. im pretty sure she is the only 3 year old on the planet still rear facing

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

LisaPunk wrote:
what age did people switch their kids from rear facing to forward facing?
we have a britax convertible seat and rear facing is 0-40 lbs, forward facing is 20-70 lbs which means BP will be rear facing until she is in college. the height for rear facing and forward facing is the same (0-49 inches)

BP weighs just over 20 lbs. my whole thought on this has always been keep her rear facing as long as i can and shes never seemed to care and has always been good in the car but the last few car rides she kept flinging her toys around then yelling at me to get them for her which obviously regardless of whether she's forward or rear facing nothing will change the fact that im driving and cant get things out of my reach but at least i would be able to see what the hell she is doing. im pretty sure she is the only 3 year old on the planet still rear facing

I hear it and is very common in europe to keep kids rear facing until 4. I know with addie being so small, we intend to keep her rear facing for as long as we can, 3, maybe 4.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 pm 
Semen Strong

We are still RF with Leela who is 4.5 and know lots of people whose kids are still RF at way older than 3! Leela is 104 cm and 45 lbs and is at the upper limit of the Diono Rainier, one of the seats with the highest limits on the market. If there were any seats on the market that would allow me to RF her longer, I would buy it.

http://thecarseatlady.com/5-times-safer/

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ill have to see how the next few car rides go. normally she barely makes a peep in the back so these last couple rides may have been a complete fluke. id much rather have her rear facing.

i find it interesting that the specs for the seats we have say the height can go up to 49 inches for rear or forward facing. BP is 22", the last couple inches she just gained in the last month or two and she's fine with sneakers on but if shes wearing either snow or rain boots she complains about being cramped (i do think the foot wear themselves might be more restrictive in bending though). she also has really long legs like my husband so a lot of her length is in her legs

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:09 am 
Inflexitarian

T'lish do you mean the weight limit for your Radian? Westiegirl is also 104cm/41" but only 15kg/33lb and I hope to rear face her in her Radian till she's at least 4 [next January].

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We FF Giles at age 2 (I think...hard to remember if maybe we did it at 18 months?) We did it primarily for our own selfish comfort, we had a tiny car and with RF the carseat pushed the passenger seat so far forward my knees were sideways and still pushed up against the dash. We have a new car now so Sebastian is going to RF until he outgrows his seat which I don't actually know the specs on, but he has been the same 26 lbs for a year now so in no danger of outgrowing it anytime soon.
We did try to put Giles RF again after we go the bigger car and it was a terrible, horrible, horror show so after a few attempts we just continued to FF him. I will say the getting in and out of the car is SO MUCH easier with the FF and it is nice to be able to see what they are up to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5