| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car (seat) Talk
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think I might've found a sedan company that has car seats. The one I've used in the past seems to have declined in recent years and maybe gone out of business, so I guess I'll be trying a new one anyway.

It's probably a decent idea to buy one to keep in Chicago anyway for future trips, but...feh. I could probably find a friend of a friend who had one to part with, but with the timing I'd need my parents to go pick it up probably, and they would just get annoyed at that. My parents are good people, and will take good care of V next week, but without armchair diagnosing them I will say I am concerned about their increasing-over-the-years unwillingness to leave their comfort zone/suburban enclave.

BTW I did run across a really awesome looking product for older kids (4+).. http://www.bubblebum.co/us/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i need some recs for a second car seat. we currently have a graco snugride 30 that is good up to 30 lbs or 30 in and it has worked really really well for us. you just clip it right into the base in the car. easy peasy. the car seat itself is heavy as fork but im guessing thats all carseats.
BP will be outgrowing it lengthwise in the coming months. she's over 27" now i think. she seems to only grow upwards ;-)

we were thinking about a convertible car seat. do people have those and like them?
my own personal opinion is BP may have to be rear facing until she's like 42 because she's small. i mean she will be like half the weight requirement for our current car seat when you outgrows it lengthwise :-P

it looks like some of the convertible car seats dont have a base and some do. some you need to just keep in your car?
im guessing once she starts walking this will be easier anyways.

thoughts? recommendations?

i really liked our snugride and im happy we got to use it for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm pretty sure you keep all the convertible seats in the car, they're freaking huge. They don't have bases. All the ones sold now will clip onto the anchors in your seats, which exist for that purpose. If your car is old enough to not have anchors, you attach them with the seatbelt.

We have a Britax seat and one from Costco. They're both fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:40 pm 
Chip Strong

We've had a convertible seat since birth because our friend gave us her old one. That's what "convertible" means, right, from newborn to toddler? It does not have a base or come out of the car for carrying around. We have never had any problem just picking her up if she's sleeping, but I guess we don't drive much so maybe we have different needs than some people. It can easily be rear or forward facing. Our friend also gave us this awesome wheel thing that you can attach for rolling around the airport and we've used that several times.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think convertible means that it can go from rear facing to forward facing.

i hadnt thought about the sleeping thing. hmmm.....babypunk is such a bad sleeper that it's always a grand thing when she falls asleep in her carseat. but like Ariann said i think they are all pretty huge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've used two Graco convertibles for my kids, my youngest is still using one. I love them because I had to shop for them only once and don't have to replace them since they're good from birth until they're ready for a booster seat. When my youngest (he's 2 and a half now) falls asleep in the car and I want him to sleep a bit longer after we've arrived I just sit in the car and play with my phone until it's time to wake him up.

I never wanted to have a car seat you have to take out all the time, I see people struggling with those all the time they're still freaking heavy, I never understood the attraction.

When my kids were really young and fell asleep in there when I had to take them out I just transferred them to the sling I was wearing, so they were always happy then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am 
***LIES!!!***

yeah, I get nap trapped in the car a lot because my toddler is totally not transferable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We have a Britax Marathon that I think is great! It is really easy to install and adjust the straps etc. We have a britax roudabout as well that I DO NOT LIKE because it was not easy to install and has to basically be uninstalled to adjust the straps or take off the cover for a washing...I have heard good things about the new Graco seats so I might get that for the new baby when he outgrows the bucket we have from when Giles was a baby. I was a fan of the moveable bucket because we could pop it onto our stroller frame for a walk or lull the baby to sleep in the car and then carry the bucket into a restaurant with a nice sleeping baby and enjoy a good meal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ariann wrote:
yeah, I get nap trapped in the car a lot because my toddler is totally not transferable.

Hehe 'nap trapped'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the info on the two specific models annasrobbie. im gonna start looking at amazon today and i think i need to make a trip to Babies R Us for a shower present anyways so ill take a look there too. ive been really happy with our Graco and i hear a lot of people say good things about Britax. my husband wants to get a Recaro (spelling?) because they also make racing seats (like for adults who race not babies) but he also claims it has really good reviews :-P

i will totally be the one getting nap trapped too. BP is NOT transferrable when asleep. especially if it's me doing the transferring. my husband has successfully transferred her off himself and into a crib but not me. in fact she still sleeps in the bed with us which is fine EXCEPT she literally has to still be on top of me or DIRECTLY NEXT to me and god forbid i try to move like my arm to try and get a little more comfortable she wakes up if i move an inch and starts crying and the whole process starts over.

seriously that cant be normal at 10 months?!?!?!?!?!?!? oy vey.
sorry not trying to derail ;-)

she definitely wont be transferrable from a car seat ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:34 pm 
Semen Strong

I kind of like that L isn't transferable - I let her sleep for about 45 mins (the sleep cycle that DEG clued us in on) and then I wake her up by transferring her. Because otherwise I'll be putting her to bed at 1 am and tearing my hair out.

Are you in any car seat groups on FB? We have the Britax Advocate but after reading about the Dino Radian, I kind of wish we'd gotten that one. The group I am in is an amazing resource, and they'll share coupons and other deals - I can add you if you want!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:50 pm 
Chip Strong

LisaPunk wrote:
i think convertible means that it can go from rear facing to forward facing.

Haha, I'm a genius. Looking back I have no idea why I posted in this thread about car seats when I obviously know nothing about them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:
thanks for the info on the two specific models annasrobbie. im gonna start looking at amazon today and i think i need to make a trip to Babies R Us for a shower present anyways so ill take a look there too. ive been really happy with our Graco and i hear a lot of people say good things about Britax. my husband wants to get a Recaro (spelling?) because they also make racing seats (like for adults who race not babies) but he also claims it has really good reviews :-P

i will totally be the one getting nap trapped too. BP is NOT transferrable when asleep. especially if it's me doing the transferring. my husband has successfully transferred her off himself and into a crib but not me. in fact she still sleeps in the bed with us which is fine EXCEPT she literally has to still be on top of me or DIRECTLY NEXT to me and god forbid i try to move like my arm to try and get a little more comfortable she wakes up if i move an inch and starts crying and the whole process starts over.

seriously that cant be normal at 10 months?!?!?!?!?!?!? oy vey.
sorry not trying to derail ;-)

she definitely wont be transferrable from a car seat ;-)

About the co-sleeping. I might say something now that you wouldn't want to hear. But we're co-sleeping with our little boy of 2 1/2 and I'm not getting good nights, he sleeps next to me and when I move just an arm he wakes up. Lately he's been teething as well, so he doesn't go to sleep so easily after this either. What I've learned is that you have to get lucky to get a kid who sleeps well and I know I'm not lucky in that respect. I used to think my daughter was a bad sleeper, but she's not looking that bad now in retrospect ;). It doesn't last forever though. In a few years you'll forget all about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

For big-ticket items, we at least start (and sometimes finish) shopping by looking at Consumer Reports.

Great tip on car seats when renting a car: If you are a AAA member, Hertz will provide an infant or child seat (didn't ask about boosters) at no cost, vs $10-$15 per day for other companies. (Some cap total cost per rental, e.g. $65.) I've never found Hertz to be cheapest in any general search, but when I called w/AAA, it was much cheaper when the car seat price was factored into the comparisons. One time the Hertz+AAA price was lower than other companies without the car seat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Not exactly sure who's question I might be answering in this thread, but we have Diono Radian RXT carseats for both of our children and absolutely love them (the children AND the carseats). The seats are the most compact on the market, while not sacrificing any of the structural integrity and safety found in other highly-rated seats. While the Diono seats are quite compact, they are much heavier that some other carseats we've used, such as some Britax models, due to their steel-reinforced frames. Both my wife and I drive fairly compact cars (VW GTI and VW Jetta Sportwagen respectively), so there's just not enough room for the bulkier Britax seats. You can easily fit three Diono seats across if you need to, but with one in the center and one on the side, we can still squeeze in another adult (*ahem* grandma) in the back when necessary. The seats are also super easy to install and fold up if you do want to take them with you when you travel - though once again they are quite heavy and I have yet to find a truly great car seat carrier (roller or shoulder bag) for air travel.

Hope that helps someone!

Jesse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We currently have a free carseat we got through a trust in my area that gives them away for all new babies, but it's one that would have to go forward facing around 2 years. That, combined with the fact that we are hoping to have another baby at some point and they only give one free one per family means I've been looking at options and everyone I have heard from recommends the Radian RXT here, too.

LisaPunk wrote:
it looks like some of the convertible car seats dont have a base and some do. some you need to just keep in your car?
im guessing once she starts walking this will be easier anyways.

We've never had a carseat with a base, used a borrowed baby capsule [pleased to see Annasrobbie calling it a bucket, that's what I always called it too!] for when she was up to about 3 months old, but I think I only took it out of the car maybe once or twice. You definitely wouldn't take a proper carseat out of the car, other than to transfer between cars, I guess.