| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car (seat) Talk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bumping this old thread because we are ready for a booster seat! We've been terrible about switching D out of her Britax, which she is probably way too tall for. Do we go with a backless seat already? I know she's around 43lbs but I forget how tall she is!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:06 pm 
And you never will.

We're in the same position! poopieboy is 42 pounds and 42 inches tall (makes it easy to remember, huh?) and he's definitely too tall for his old seat, and I've been meaning to find a new one but I'd been putting it off. I think we're going to buy a new one today though, because he threw up in the car all over his seat last night and it is SO HARD to take apart and clean (it took me an hour to get it apart last time, then I had to wash the cover and air dry all day, then it took 2 hours to get it back together - I swear I'm not an idiot, but it was terrible). So, I just want to use this opportunity to buy him a new seat because I'm the worst and don't want to clean the old one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:24 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

poopiebitch wrote:
it took me an hour to get it apart last time, then I had to wash the cover and air dry all day, then it took 2 hours to get it back together ...it was terrible). So, I just want to use this opportunity to buy him a new seat because I'm the worst and don't want to clean the old one.
You are far from the worst! I think I'd be looking for a new car.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes Poopie! Hope Peter feels better soon! I know that some manufacturers frown on washing carseat covers. Maybe check with Carseatsforthelittles on FB to cement your decision!

Fwiw, Leela is 40" and 36.6lbs and had outgrown her Britax Boulevard (1.5 inches below the top of the hard shell if memory serves to be rear facing). We ended up buying the Diono Rainier, and she can continue to rear face until she is 44" or 1" below the top of the shell. We seriously love it and it was pretty easy to install. You can front face them to 57" and 90lbs. I would highly recommend that seat. http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/201 ... view.html/

That said there is supposed to be a new seat hitting the market that has higher rear facing limits coming in April of this year. I would like to keep her RF as long as possible, but man she is growing so fast and I don't know how long we will be able to do so.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Rear facing until 50 pounds?!? This kind of blows my mind. I've just never heard of doing it that long. I mean I get that it would be safest for all of us to be rear facing, but we can't be rear facing in the driver's seat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Well hopefully Scarlett will weigh more than 50lbs once she is ready to drive! :)

That said, its nice to have options for as long as you can and every family gets to make the best choice for themselves. We have friends who FF early because their child wasn't happy RF, but L loves being RF and so the added safety is worth it to me. I was just sharing about a seat that works really well for us, if PB or Audrey are in the market. I superpuffyheart love ours.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Also, I can really recommend Car Seats for the Littles for any car seat questions. They've been amazing for helping us decide what to do when traveling and also in determining when L outgrew her seat. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeat ... s/?fref=nf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

In Sweden, it's recommended to use a rear-facing seat as long as there is one they fit into. Around four y/o it seems to be socially acceptable to turn them anyway though. I have no idea what kids generally weigh at what age, how old is a fifty-pounder?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish, I love our Rainier, too.

Anyone seen any good links/videos/articles on the reason rear facing really is safer/isn't uncomfortable for children? Westiebaby's only just turned two and I bought the Rainer when she was ~19 months so I could continue rear facing for the foreseeable future but have had a few conversations with my mum lately where she says how much she'd enjoy being able to see out the front window/how plenty of people forward face and don't think they're putting their children at risk/has just noticed how her legs can't straighten because of the seatback. I'm fine with my decision but would love to be able to share a mythbusting type article with her, as I honestly don't think there's a small child out there who is uncomfortable folding their legs, and I know she's fine looking out the rear/side window! Plus, never mind all that, safety's the most important thing to me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:32 pm 
Semen Strong

I love all the pictures and videos of big kids sprawled out asleep as they RF.!!! Maybe try a few of those? I think it's hard for adults to imagine that it's comfortable to be RF but really you know your own kid! I know this isn't true for all kids but L loves her seat and comfortably falls asleep in it. She is the worst backseat driver though, because she yells "Red light! Stop mama Stop!" Whenever she sees them, even though they're in the rearview mirror :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We ended up FF Giles at 18 months because the RF seat forced the front passenger seat so far forward my own knees were squished on the dash. We shortly thereafter purchased a new car with roomier backseat but by that time the damage was done and there was no going back to RF every again. I learned my lesson there so newbie isn't going to get a chance to taste the joys of FF until he outgrows his seat ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Funny! Not all kids refuse to be turned back, fwiw. We had L FF at Disney for 10 days (a Cosco Scenaro for short distances and so much easier to install) and when we got back, she was happy to go back to RF, so it wasnt like one was so much better for her. Every kid is different.

You also have to check local laws. On Car seats for the Littles, people were posting about getting tickets for RF their children after a year because the law in Louisiana says "all kids over 1 must be front facing as long as they weigh over 20lbs". So even if RF is safer there are laws that will penalize you if you do. Clearly it's a poorly drafted law that considers that RF is only for infants, but sadly it is enforced. http://www.drivinglaws.org/resources/tr ... t-laws.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I had to turn my oldest front-facing not long after age 2 because it was getting increasingly difficult to get her in her carseat as I got to be hugely pregnant with the twins. She stopped resisting getting in her carseat as soon as we turned the seat around. The twins are now almost 2, and while it's sometimes a challenge getting them in their carseats, I'm not pregnant so can do more toddler-wrangling this time. I'm hoping to keep the twins rear-facing for a while longer.

Wow, that's really interesting that in Sweden, kids stay rear-facing for so long. I'm pretty sure I've never met anyone IRL that has kept their kid rear-facing longer than age 3, and most turn their kids around age 2 where I live.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Soooo, I spoke too soon about keeping both twins rear-facing for a while. C has turned out to be quite the Houdini when it comes to wiggling out of car seat straps. A couple weeks ago, she managed to fully get out of her car seat while driving! It terrified me-- I was driving on the freeway during a super heavy rain, and suddenly, I heard a giggle right in my ear. She had wiggled out of the straps and climbed up on the back of the driver's seat!! So scary. I adjusted the straps a bit after that, and while I don't think she can fully wiggle out anymore, she can still pull herself half out of the straps. And I'm sure a car seat doesn't provide much protection if the kid is half out of the straps. So, we'll try forward-facing to see if she'll stop trying to wiggle out....

Anyone else have a little Houdini in the carseat? Any tips?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes! That sounds scary! Are you using the pinch test to make sure that your straps aren't too loose? She shouldn't be able to wiggle out of her car seat!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, I've started to be very careful to make sure the straps are tight enough. Sigh.

She was able to wiggle fully out of her seat when I had the shoulder strap height too low, so there was too much extra strap for her to work with. But even with the shoulder strap height correct and the straps tight enough, she pushes the chest buckle down to the crotch buckle and that gives her enough strap length to work with that she can pull one shoulder out of the straps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I would absolutely have a heart attack if that happened helbury!!!!! I am sure you are already doing this - but is the chest clip all the way up at the armpits? and the straps tightened to the point you can't "pinch" them? I read where someone said they tied some bandanas along the straps to give their daughter something to work at instead of trying to wiggle out of the seat belt - so basically distract?!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, that's the problem-- she pushes the chest clip all the way down to the crotch buckle and then she can pull a shoulder out :-(. I also tighten the straps tight enough you can't pinch them. I tell you, she's a little contortionist :-).

I like the bandana idea!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka did that once and then fell onto the floor of the back seat. It was freaking scary. She just wiggled the chest strap down. That was around a year old, she hasn't done it since!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:43 pm 
Semen Strong

That is scary. Our Diono has straps that go around the chest strap/buckle that make them really secure and also make them impossible to push down.

I know you are not supposed to use after market products on car seats, but maybe post on Carseats for the Littles and see if there is a way to anchor the chest strap? https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Eep. I'm sorry that happened to you too, Ariann. It is so scary. I had been conditioned to think of a carseat as a perfect restraint that would always hold my kid safe, no matter what they did, but clearly that's not true. And I think that's a big part of the reason it freaked me out so much. Nothing bad has happened to us while driving, but I really hate that I have one more thing to worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tofulish wrote:
That is scary. Our Diono has straps that go around the chest strap/buckle that make them really secure and also make them impossible to push down.

I know you are not supposed to use after market products on car seats, but maybe post on Carseats for the Littles and see if there is a way to anchor the chest strap? https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/

I didn't know there were seats like that! Good to know. We've been thinking about the Diono anyway due to it's narrow profile (can do 3 kids across, even in a small car!), so maybe we'll look into buying another carseat sooner rather than later....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 pm 
Semen Strong

I love my Diono Rainier!

But I would ask on CSFTL. There may be a quicker and cheaper fix. You might even be able to get something free from the manufacturer, if this is a known issue with the chest clip....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we have a britax boulevard for our convertable seat and the chest clip is so easy to push up and down on the straps.
we've not had any issues yet but i can see how a toddler could push the chest clip down.
i also find this one really hard to tighten and i dont know if it's just that it's hard or if it's because BP is small and i already have it really tight

i liked our graco infant seat much better.
im not sure if my issue is with convertible seats in general or this specific brand.

we found a really good deal on another britax (cant remember the specific model) so we bought a second one for my husband's car and i would say the chest clip issue is the same on that one.

BabyPunk will probably be rear facing forever. i have no plans to turn her around unless she starts to really hate being rear facing (but i guess i dont understand if they dont know any different how do they know they dont like being rear facing?)

i saw a picture on facebook of the granddaughter of my mom's work friend who was born the same day as BP and they flipped her around to front face so i guess it's whatever works for your fam.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ours is also Britax. We are sizing up and looking at a Graco again.

Rear facing is a worse view, so I imagine some kids just get bored - plus they can't see you which can be upsetting. The other thing is that it is much worse if they develop motion sickness, which can happen really young.. My sister who gets car sick had obvious symptoms around 1. Malka was just bored, I think. She was so much happier forward facing it ended all of the fighting about the car seat that we had to deal with before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next