| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby signing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm just wondering if we might have a thread to share what signs we're trying to use, online resources, class recommendations, etc. Freya's very interested in new signs the past month or so, so I'm hoping to add to her vocabulary. I've been using this site a lot for learning new signs: http://www.babysignlanguage.com/dictionary/ Not sure what signs to add next, so thought I might copy some of y'all. :p

What she uses now: pappa, more, all done, cat, help, eat, broken, hot, bread, cup/drink, boobies/milk, nappy, book, fish (just learning this one)

Ones we use with her but haven't seen back yet: mommy, duck, music, sleep, apple, banana

Have been thinking about: water, pear (she loves pears but doesn't say the word yet), bus, necklace, outside, playground/swing and maybe morning/night.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Baby signing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:23 pm 
Semen Strong

We do ASL not baby sign (I never even knew there was a diff until we took classes!), and use http://mysmarthands.com/ as a resource.

We use the poop/pee/fart/toilet/diaper/wet signs a lot, in hopes that it will make a difference with potty training. And she can use them, but hasn't connected them with the potty.... We use gentle and nice, stop, careful, hug, kiss and friend on playdates to remind her to be gentle. For food, we also do berries, fruit and veg (along with the signs you mention) because they're pretty easy for kids, and we use colors a lot (esp with her ballpit and the brown bear book). She doesn't use those, but seems to "get" them. Her favorite signs are milk, dog, more, all done, eat, book, cat, fish (though she also does a modified fish face for that), toilet, cookie and cracker. We sign along with the ABC song She loves when I sign silly, which I've seen moms use with their older toddlers, and it seems to be a very effective one at shutting down tantrums.... We do a lot of the motion signs.

I love our ASL classes - learning to sign along with songs has been so useful for us. And doing themes is great. My Smart Hands has books for night routines, eating etc that are all really easy to use.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ah, the potty ones are a good idea! We just started nappy a couple of weeks ago, and she's learned to say the word as well. I don't think she notices wet nappies at all still, but often can tell when there's poop there. She says "poop", but she's obsessed with checking nappies in a pretend way (her own, the ducks, her baby, etc.) so it's hard to tell what's going on without checking. Maybe a sign would help her to communicate about her own poop better.

Thanks for the book recommendation!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos really likes these cards. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Sign-Languag ... 988&sr=8-8

Some baby signs programs are all ASL and others are based on ASL. These cards are ASL. They are his favorite among all the cards we bought. We also have the Baby Signs videos, where some signs are ASL and others not.

We actually have tons of baby sign language stuff. I got a little excited shopping.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We've checked out many board books from the "Baby Fingers: Teaching Your Baby to Sign" series and BabyEnchilada loves them! He'll even sit and look at them by himself sometimes. I've been doing the basic ones out of habit from my ECE experience since he was 2 months old or so, and started using more when he was around 10 months. He started with more, all done, and milk at about a year, and now at 1 1/3 he uses doggie, eat, water, ouch, happy, please, book, nap, thank you, and he's made up his own for airplane that involves swinging his arm around and saying "shoo shoo!"

I just love baby signing. Last week he told me his ears were hurting! How forking rad is that?!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just realized that I forgot a couple of our signs.."ball" and my most favorite "remember". Freya has been using this sign loads for about a week now. We were amazed when we first saw it, but it's often the start or end of a tale. We sorta made up our own sign for it, but I'd definitely recommend "remember". :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Its funny, L made up her own sign for altoid - it involves putting her tongue out and panting and shaking her butt. Brett is now forbidden from giving them to her, but whenever she sees the box she makes the sign and its hilarious.

Also, L makes 2 word sentences with signs, where she only rarely will with words. And the words ones are often her mimicking me (Bad Dog! comes to mind).

I really just love our sign class and this thread is reminding me that we need to sign up for next semester!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos is getting pretty good at two signs, and will occasionally copy a few others. The two he gets are milk and toothbrush. I find it hilariously cute that my baby signs toothbrush.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's so funny, kimba! He's a chip off the old block.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Signing has been slow going for us...my partner (who is with her full time) is not interested in it and is very inconsistent. She does "milk", "all done", and sometimes she will do "more". I'm not sure why he won't model it more because he really likes that she can tell him when she needs a bottle.

Tonight when she came up to me and signed milk with one hand, I said, "okay, but if we nurse now it's bedtime," and she responded by raising both hands up above her head while vigorously signing milk with both AND sticking tongue in and out of her mouth which made a slurping noise. I guess she was ready!

Last edited by Butternut on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been trying with the twins I nanny for and one of them finally has "more" down but that's pretty much it. I haven't been super consistent and their parents haven't really been doing it at all, though. They're 23 months but only say a few words, so they just start screaming and crying any time they want anything. Hopefully mastery of "more" will help prevent some of that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:40 am 
Semen Strong

If we sing the alphabet song, L tries to sign all the letters. Its really cute!

Good luck, SRock! I do feel like signing helps so much in avoiding meltdowns. When she is on the swings, and I want to go home, I ask her to sign more if she wants to keep going. The fact that she does that makes it easier for me to know what is going on, because often she doesn't seem all that into it, but if I take her out she gets upset. We also do "show me the ouchie" using the hurt sign which distracts well from the actual ouchie.

I love the classes for all the sign-along songs and the dedicated 90 min sign-along playdates. One of our local libraries does free sign classes but they fill up in minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
Its funny, L made up her own sign for altoid - it involves putting her tongue out and panting and shaking her butt. Brett is now forbidden from giving them to her, but whenever she sees the box she makes the sign and its hilarious.

Is that a sign, or is it an interpretive dance?? :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm 
Semen Strong

Hahaha!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

sr, if the parents are cool with it, keep on signing. I too, think it helps so so much. Freya is super verbal, but signs are often clearer and easier when she's tired or cranky, or when she's trying to say book/broke/back for instance, which all sound super similar in Freya-speak. We've been trying to work out signs for paint/peanuts/pants for which we have the same trouble.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm 
Semen Strong

You know SRock, our instructor teaches at the Y as well, and says that about half her students are nannies! I am seconding that the signs help making things so much clearer, and are an easy go to if the baby is tired. For Leela so many words sound the same, that the signs are crucial for communication at the moment.

Yesterday I had her on the swings and she was not happy because we were going too high, so she signed "gentle" - so I could adjust the speed. And normally I ask if she is all done or wants more, and her being able to sign more means that I don't discover that she isn't ready to go when I try and remove her flailing and simultaneously limp, wailing toddler body from the swing. Oh and its so nice that she can tell us when she is thirsty or hungry or wet, because it means I don't have to always be checking and offering. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i am realizing how awesome signs will be with the second kid. T wants to help with the baby so much and is already really good at interpreting her cries (the nah nah cry which means hungry especially) and i'm always amazed at how quickly she picks up new things. so even though we didn't really use signs much with her, and she speaks a ton and doesn't need them for herself, i think she is going to be a big help with re-enforcing the signs we do use.

anyway, i'm going to start using them now (even though L is only 4 months) in hopes that T will pick them up right away and help me use them with L.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Westiebaby is now six months old and I am wanting to start doing some signing with her, I looked into some classes but the only ones I have been able to find are on the other side of the city and fairly pricey, so we might try to just do our own thing... I found a good online resource for NZSL with little videos for each sign, I just have to figure out which signs to start with and then get to using them!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't tell you how excited I am that my baby signed potty while he was pooping today. Ah, the strange excitement of being a parent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:26 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

oncewerewesties wrote:
I found a good online resource for NZSL with little videos for each sign, I just have to figure out which signs to start with and then get to using them!

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baby Sign Language" recommends starting with "more," "eat," and "milk" since that's what they care about and the (ASL) signs don't look alike.

A baby sign teacher said a great way to motivate is to parcel out something they like a little at a time. For instance give them two blueberries and if they want more, ask them do you want [say and sign] blueberry? I wonder if they might just sign "yes" or "more" or point, but anyway you'd have their attention.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kimba, that is most awesome! We haven't seen any poop/pee signs yet.

For starter signs, "all done"/"finished" is one I used very frequently with both kids I cared for, and with Freya. Mommy/Daddy are good ones too, and easy. Learning a sign for a pet is helpful too, I think if you have companion animals in the house. We learned cat early on, for the neighbor's cats and she still signs it very often.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It took Carlos forever to sign cat and that was one of the ones we started with. He just started in the last couple days, when we are traveling and not actually with our cats! There are a lot of dogs here and we have been getting a lot of the dog sign recently. The most helpful sign at first was milk. Then más (more), especially once he stopped nursing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

is this the basic baby signs book

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Signs-Before-Third-Edition/dp/0071615032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374349730&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+signs

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Just fwiw, a friend gave me that book, and I wasn't a fan of the way it was set up. It uses Baby Sign not ASL, and I personally found all the little cutesy personal anecdotes to be useless filler and I thought that the pictures of babies using the sign were cute but not as useful as seeing a full illustration of what the sign is supposed to look like so I could demonstrate it. It may be right for others though!

I really like My Smart Hands http://mysmarthands.com/ I am still tempted to buy their Sign Bible with 400 toddler signs...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm trying to teach her the signs for colors...not having much luck.

I should take a video of her signing flower, it's so cute! She over does it and actually makes a loud sniffing noise. Also, apparently there are fish everywhere! She is constantly signing fish and usually I can finally find the fish she is noticing, sometimes not. She's learning signs as fast as I can at this point (except the colors). My favorite lately have been the manners ones. She signs thank you for things I would never expect her to think twice about so that is nice. It's fun and she's even been able to teach my reluctant partner a few.

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next