| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kids' shows
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:30 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Right now it is all about "guppies guppies" for Pea Pod. I am so glad Dora is out of style.

What kind of shows are your kiddos into these days? Do you secretly (or not so) love some of them?

Post subject: Re: Kids' shows
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Dax loves Word World on PBS, which is fine, but it's followed by Sid the Science Kid which I can't stand! So as long as he forgets that Sid is on, we are good.
Richard Scarry's Busytown Mysteries is an occasional favorite, and there are a ton on instant Netflix. We also go through Thomas and Kipper phases (also on Netflix).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Malcolm loves SuperWhy. He likes most of the PBS shows (Martha speaks, Curious George, etc), but SuperWhy is his favorite. I don't mind it. I hate Caillou. He is the brattiest cartoon kid ever. I don't let Malcolm watch Caillou unless I'm sitting right with him to explain that Caillou's behaviour is inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:04 am 
Grandfathered In

GlueGun gets to watch TV on Saturday mornings. I think what he likes is junk.

But we do go through shows from the library. We've watched lots of Get Smart, The Prisoner, Robin Hood. We're on The Addams Family currently.

(Oh, and some of this is junk, too.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My daughter goes through phases where we will watch one show over and over again. She is currently in a Blues Clues Season 5/Kai-Lan phase. She rotates through these shows (all on instant netflix): Word World, Super Why, Dora the Explorer, Go! Diego Go!, Busy Town, Kipper, Kai-Lan, Blues Clues, and the Care Bears Movies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:39 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We've just been watching Cars in 20 minute increments for weeks and weeks and weeks. I have to admit, there are parts that still make me laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:00 pm 

all the pbs shows. probably prefers cat in the hat and dinosaur train the most.

on netflix we rotate kipper, thomas, pingu (omg, how he loves pingu), backyardigans and we recently started watching kai lan. we've also watched ponyo and up quite a few times (both on watch instantly).

dvds we rotate: totoro, yo gabba gabba, wallace and gromit, winnie the pooh, and wall-e.

we've watched way too much tv this winter. thankfully, the snow is finally starting to melt and the temp is consistently above freezing. i'm looking forward to watching a lot less!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:11 pm 
Inflexitarian

Their favorites are Kipper, Thomas, Pingu, and Caillou. Of those, Pingu is my favorite and Caillou my least favorite. They also watch Sprout sometimes (24 hour PBS kids station, basically).
They watch too much TV and I really hate myself for it. We live out in the country, and there's nothing within walking distance. No park, no library, nothing. There aren't really even too many trees, just dead dry grass. I don't drive, so we're stuck in the house or the yard. It feels like there are so many hours in a day during the week. I'll read to them, draw pictures, play with playdough, run around with them, take them outside, and it still feels like there's a bazillion hours until the end of the day. So TV fills a few of those hours. Sorry for sounding all defensive when nobody has said anything bad about a bit of TV viewing, but it really does make me feel bad. But I guess I don't know how else to make it through the day with my sanity intact.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Livi is loving on Disney's new one, Jake and the Neverland Pirates. She too loves Bubble Guppies (so do I!) and we both love Phineas and Ferb (I love it more than her). She also loves the new My Little Pony show and she super duper loves Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry. She could watch nothing but either one of those last 2 and be pretty happy.

Keenie - We watch too much too and I feel rotten about it too. There aren't too many fun places to go around here and we've been trying really hard since we've moved here to make friends, but that isn't really working. Also, my parents are the kind who always had the TV on, even when they weren't watching, and I did that when she was a baby and then she was a toddler, and then she wanted fun stuff for her too. We do non-TV stuff too, but when I was pregnant, I was all "she's never watching TV!" and then here I am. So, *hugs*!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Keenie, I wouldn't get a hot meal more than once a week without TV. Don't feel bad, they've been trying to make it better in the last few years, anyway. (plus, I am a shameless TV addict. I am also a pretty productive and social person.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:42 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think the consensus is: everybody hates Caillou.

My kid is quite into Glee- guess we've grown out of kids' shows!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thanks appi and Sra. Nooch! At least I know I'm not alone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:54 pm 

Add me to the list of feeling-guilty-but-still-watching-TV.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Plus, Dora and Bubble Guppies are the only time my daughter uses her full vocabulary. *sigh*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 pm 

torque wrote:
i think the consensus is: everybody hates Caillou.

My kid is quite into Glee- guess we've grown out of kids' shows!!

I don't hate it too much. I did teach her that Barney is yucky, so I feel accomplished in that. Livi does enjoy some Glee :D
keen_on_quinoa wrote:
Thanks appi and Sra. Nooch! At least I know I'm not alone.

You're so not! <3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

Jackson just discovered Dora so he's really into it. Before that it was Yo Gabba, which he loved for several months and then inexplicably became terrified of the creatures. We also tried Thomas the Train but I think he was bored by it. Olivia seems to like Dora, too. She waves her arms when they sing the "We did it!" song.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Uli watches a few shows. Super Why, Dinosaur Train, Sid the Science Kid, Cat in the Hat.

I hate Cat in the Hat but like the others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Kai is too young yet, but I've been introduced to yo gabba gabba through the 1.8 year old daughter of our sitter. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but I LOVE it! Haha The 'I like to dance' video on YouTube is awesome. In fact, I just put it in pandora today and were listening to a yo gabba channel right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:34 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My 13 year old will watch Yo Gabba Gabba religiously when she is not in school. And then she sings the songs. Sometimes they don't outgrow things.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The best thing we ever did was not let Reno watch TV for the first 2 years of her life. The worst thing we ever did was let her start watching TV after she was 2. She became obsessed and would complain and whine all day. It was misery for months but I somehow put up with it and she only watches a few things a week...sometimes nothing at all.

Her favorites that I like are: Little Bear and Angelina Ballerina. I like the original Angelina but my parents showed her the newer version of Angelina which I despise but Reno LOVES. Her first favorite show was Yo Gabba Gabba which she still likes but doesn't ask to watch too much anymore. We also show her classic Mickey Mouse cartoons on YouTube and we have all the old Popeyes on DVD that she watches with her Dad. We are now starting to get her into Nature shows which has been fun.

Her one favorite that I can't stand is Olivia. That show drives me nuts. I will not let her watch Dora or Diego or any show that I know I just couldn't put up with.

And yeah..what is up with Caillou? Friends put it on while we were on vacation with them one day for their daughter. Never again! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas gets to watch tv while I shower and when he doesn't want me to cook dinner. His favorites are Blue's Clues and Yo Gabba Gabba. We like them too. He also likes Mickey Mouse (whatever it's called) and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

I'm also anti Caillou! Ugh!

When Shae was little, his first favorite show was Teletubbies and I swear thinking about it still makes me cringe. I don't think anything will ever be that bad again. He'd wake up at 5:30 wide awake and it would be on tv, so basically it saved my life, but oh the torture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 am 

Kelly wrote:
Silas gets to watch tv while I shower and when he doesn't want me to cook dinner. His favorites are Blue's Clues and Yo Gabba Gabba. We like them too. He also likes Mickey Mouse (whatever it's called) and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

What is it about Jake? Livi loves it too and we met another young addict the other day. Livi doesn't care if she's seen the ep, she loves it and she wants to see it again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 am 
Married to the wolfman

I don't know if he's some kind of freak, but he doesn't seem to like any kids shows for more than about 5 seconds at a time. It's not the end of my world or anything, but I do think it's kind of weird, because this is the kid who will happily watch and dance along to two hours of a live Pet Shop Boys DVD if you let him.

He will sometimes sit through movies if he's in a particularly mellow mood. I think we've watched Monsters Inc, Toy Story 2 and 3, Lilo and Stitch, and some MIyazaki stuff with him pretty successfully.

I'm neither for or against some tv for kids... I watched a shiitake ton of television as a kid and I don't think it actually had a noticeably bad impact on me. But what I AM really glad that we miss out on through the Emperor's lack of tv watching is branding/character recognition. I don't know why, but since I had him, the way things are marketed to kids via characters, etc, gives me Extreme Parent Rage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:10 am 

coldandsleepy wrote:
I'm neither for or against some tv for kids... I watched a shiitake ton of television as a kid and I don't think it actually had a noticeably bad impact on me. But what I AM really glad that we miss out on through the Emperor's lack of tv watching is branding/character recognition. I don't know why, but since I had him, the way things are marketed to kids via characters, etc, gives me Extreme Parent Rage.

I feel about the same way. I think the big difference between when I grew up and now is just a matter of degree. Even though I watched a lot of tv, I think there is just so much more marketing and technology now it is even easier for them to totally lose themselves in it. I mean, sure I watched Saturday morning cartoons growing up, but they were only a couple channels with them for Sat. morning. Not all day and night, every day.

Then when you add on everything else (video games, iphones, internet...) it gets crazy. I mean, I remember playing Pong in my basement. Not only was that nowhere near as stimulating as today's games, I had to have been at least 7 or so when we got it, and maybe 10 or 11 when we got an atari 5200, so I had a lot of summers to go outside and play before that.

Now, we've already bought Kai his first keyboard for toddlers (it was on sale). I can't believe I let my husband get that, but I know it is inevitable so.... *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am 

Oh, and I also meant to say the marketing is why I'm glad I got rid of cable. This way, even though it is killing me not having bravo, when Kai watches tv it will mainly only be commercial free from netflix. I really don't want him exposed to commercials from an early age.

Now I'll only have to worry about trips to the store with the bright blue vs. pink aisles. Ugh.

(I'm rambling aren't I...sorry. Kai is teething and I had no sleep last night. So tired!!)