| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Job interviews while pregnant
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:30 am 
Chip Strong

Hi folks,

I posted this in the job thread, but Tofulish suggested posting in this forum, so apologies if it seems spammy but here I am.

I am interviewing for new jobs right now, and I'm about 3.5 months pregnant. So far I've only had one phone interview (yesterday) and have one skype interview (next Friday), so obviously how I look hasn't mattered yet, but I think the interview I already had went well and I think it's very likely that I'll go for a second interview in person next week or the week after.

Even though I know it's illegal to discriminate during hiring or once employed based on pregnancy, it obviously still happens, so I don't plan to bring it up. I am definitely starting to look different from how I normally look, but I don't think I necessarily look pregnant yet if you don't know me, so I'm not as concerned about that in the upcoming few weeks, but for the second job - if I even get an in person interview - I'm not sure what their timeframe is (I applied back in January and just heard back from them the other day!) so I might be looking undeniably pregnant by then.

What I'm thinking right now is that if I got offered a job, I would want to bring up my pregnancy once I got an offer, before I accepted it, so that maternity leave could be part of the negotiation process. At that point, they could reverse their offer but it would be pretty obvious at that point that it was because of my pregnancy and thus illegal, right?

I'm also not sure what would be reasonable to ask for, since I wouldn't be at any new job long enough to qualify for FMLA leave. However, this potential employer offers good maternity leave for the U.S. so I would expect them to generally be pretty family-friendly. If you're there for a year, they offer 13 weeks with the first 6 paid at full salary, next 9 paid at 50% salary; if you're there for 5 years or more they offer 13 weeks fully paid. At my current job, I can take my 12 FMLA mandated weeks, but none of it is paid except for whatever sick time you have accrued (in my case, not a lot since I've only been there for 7 months right now) and if you want to, you can also use any accrued vacation time and floating holidays. So basically, it would almost be all unpaid for me right now anyway, so I don't mind if that's what I end up with at a new job too. But should I just ask them to meet that, since they're not legally obligated to? Or should I ask for some of it to be paid, even though if I did get hired I would only be there for 4.5 or 5 months by the time a baby happens?

Ugh, so stressful. I am also anxious that trying to negotiate for maternity leave would compromise my ability to negotiate salary as effectively, and is going to set me up to continue being underpaid for more years to come.

So...anybody here interviewed for/gotten hired for a new job while pregnant? When did you bring it up? How did it go? How did it affect negotiations? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Post subject: Re: Job interviews while pregnant
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I was hired 5 months pregnant after a 3 month interview process. It was obvious I was pregnant, although nobody said anything. I brought it up exactly as you're planning to and maternity leave was part of our negotiations. I regret that I didn't negotiate my salary better, I definitely set myself up to be underpaid long term. And my workplace is small enough that fmla doesn't apply ever. I wound up with six weeks paid, which included two weeks of vacation. Not great, but I didn't have a good sense of what I was going to need and I was excited to jump back into work anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was about 3 months pregnant when I interviewed for my current job and I didn't bring it up until my first week of work. There wasn't any negotiation process so I was just stuck with a week more than the minimum leave which ended up being 9 weeks, and I was paid 60% of my pay for 6 weeks through short term disability.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i would just be aware that a lot of companies dont really give you benefits unless you've been there for a certain amount of time. either 6 months or a year. so i guess i just wouldnt expect much? that's how i would look at it but i am a cynic.

that being said it sounds like they have a really generous program so you may luck out! my former company you could take FMLA at 60% of your salary and you got the priviledge of paying for your benefits while you were gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41 am 
Chip Strong

Thanks for your replies! Yeah I definitely don't have high expectations, and like I said, I would be fine with unpaid leave since that's what I would get at my current job anyway, I would just hate to approach a negotiation from a position of undercutting myself.... Like I said, I'm way more concerned about overall salary though, since the effects of starting salary last so much longer than a few weeks of paid vs Unpaid leave.