| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cute Toys that Only Exist IN YOUR MIND
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm curious if everyone else has a running list of toys they wish they could buy or make their kids.

I can't believe I can't find:

- a toy swiffer. Vi LOVES the swiffer but all the store stocks now is the double wide one that's a big ol' scam to get you to buy 2x the pads for it. If I can find a little one again I'll shorten the handle and stuff, but a little kid proportioned swiffer would be perfect for her.

- exact-looking replicas of things like remote controls and mobile phones.

- I spent hours the other day trying to find a decent toy dishwasher (like for a play kitchen) or a play kitchen that contained a decent dishwasher. You know, with a door that opens from top to bottom and has pull out racks that she could load and unload. DOES NOT EXIST, as far as I can tell. I may try to make one but I don't think I could do a convincing job.

Post subject: Re: Cute Toys that Only Exist IN YOUR MIND
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am 
Semen Strong

A unicorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am 
Nooch of Earl

Sharp edges! You'd have to put a tennis ball on the horn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has a hand-me-down cell phone (battery removed). It is not fun, because it's not mine, so that may not be the best replica toy. She does like playing with all the extra remote controls we have that still light up and do things (we have a universal remote, making the others extraneous). The only problem is that those remotes still work, so sometimes she does crazy stuff to the TV.

Malka also loves the Swiffer! And the broom!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annak wrote:
- exact-looking replicas of things like remote controls and mobile phones.

The Verizon guy gave Silas an old display model mobile phone and he loved it. It doesn't turn on or make any noises, but he was still really into it. He used to carry it around in his pocket every time we left the house so he could call our dog and check on him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That is so adorable, Kelly! My partner and I pretend to call our dogs and check on them when we're away from home...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Inez has a mini-sized swiffer! It was in some pack of toy cleaning supplies my mom got her (broom, mop, bucket, etc.). She mostly uses it to smack things.

That is the cutest, Kelly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 am 
Nooch of Earl

i think I found one! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3529126 of course it comes in a pink or blue version, so that we can uphold strict gender norms, and it sounds like it might be a cheap hunk of garbage, but maybe she'd like it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 am 
Married to the wolfman

annak wrote:
i think I found one! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3529126 of course it comes in a pink or blue version, so that we can uphold strict gender norms, and it sounds like it might be a cheap hunk of garbage, but maybe she'd like it?

A PPKer I'm friends with on Instagram (ndpittman, I think!) just posted pictures of her niece getting this as a birthday present, and apparently the swiffer was a BIG HIT.

The Emperor would shiv a man for his own personal-sized broom. I know they make them, I am just lazy about buying one.

He has my old cell phone to play with. He does play with it. But he knows it's not the real thing and has known basically since I gave it to him. The allure of the phone is in me not wanting him to have it.

We should all just tote around worthless shiitake and pretend we really love it and then our kids will want to play with it. Nooooo, not my pet rock Mister Sparky! Okay fine... I guess you can play with him... a little bit...

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You could probably easily modify this oven to be a dishwasher:

http://ana-white.com/2010/11/inspiring- ... ridge.html

I'm picturing getting either a wire dishrack (like for handwashing dishes) and putting in there for a dishwashing rack.

I built a desk from the site a few weeks ago and the plans were easy and clear, so I imagine the ones for kids would be as well. I don't know what sorts of tools you have around, but right now ours are minimal and I managed. Plus, big box stores will cut your lumber down for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I really want a play set of people dolls that are eco-friendly and suitable for 2 year olds. Kai is really starting imaginary play now, and I think he would had a ball if he had some people to go with all of his cars and trains. I feel certain they must be out there but I can't find any that don't have choking hazards.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, I would really like a playmobil 1-2-3 set that has NOTHING TO DO WITH ENCLOSING ANIMALS IN CAGES. Harumph. They're all farm, zoo, or forest animal park.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I would like a baby and stroller set that is not pink. I saw one boy baby doll online, and a plain red stroller, but both were way too expensive. Right now he is playing with a pink floral stroller I got used for $1.99. It's fine, boys can like flowers, but the bright pink just calls so much attention to itself.

Also, Walter is obsessed with the Meeow series by Sebastien Braun, and if there were a stuffed animal Meeow I would totally buy it because this kid needs a lovey for nighttime. I'm thinking of buying a black cat toy and giving it a red scarf, and telling him it's Meeow. Also I would like more Meeow books; there are only four. Please write them faster, Mr. Braun, I am bored with the existing ones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooh that Meeow series looks so cute. Haven't seen that one before, maybe we need to get a new book.

Speaking of lovies, maybe that's a cute toy only in my mind - a stuffed animal Kai actually likes. He has so many he's gotten as gifts but is almost totally uninterested in them. I've heard maybe he'll grow into it, but I'd think by this age he'd like them...are anyone else's kids just not into stuffed animals? (I actually never liked dolls, stuffed animals were my best friends when I was a kid so I just don't get this.)

p.s. I ended up settling on the playground and shuttle bus playmobil 1.2.3. sets for his birthday (Oct. 11th) gifts last night.At least this way he'll have 7 people to play with, and no caged animals.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My kid does not care about stuffed animals. The only things he LOVES are his books. He is way more into reading than playing. Very studious :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas wasn't into stuffed animals at all for a long time, he only cared about small handheld people or animals. Probably around age 2 he started to love stuffed animals and still does. I was surprised he wasn't into them earlier too!