| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey, let's complain about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well Mr T has just arrived and is in there talking to her. We shall see what the end result is.
It makes me nuts. I wasn't allowed to do ANYTHING as a teen. Like talk on the phone, or go to a movie, until I was a senior in high school. We've really given her free rein (comparatively, and within reason) and it kills me to hear "you just don't understand". Believe me, I do. [yes, i know they are obliged under contract to say that, and it means nothing. but it irks me anyway.]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

In our house we judge that sort of thing on a case by case basis. In that specific case, our answer would be no. Anime conventions here bring the creep and I would be leery to let any of the kids go.

Alex refuses to do her chores. And cannot see the connection between that and her current restrictions.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

but it's not an anime convention mom!! it's only open to the people on facebook!!

hahahaha [cry]

i just worked like a forking ninja and finished my job for today [30pp in less than 3 hours, go me!]. I am ready to leave my mancave/office but am afraid of what awaits me outside. I do smell bleach which means Mr T is cleaning/destroying the whole house with no ventilation [whole nother complaint. The tailless wonder-bird is in the cave with me so he doesn't die.] I would stay in here all day but I made a 20oz cup of coffee before and I think I'm going to rupture. Next addition to the cave needs to be my own bathroom.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yikes torque! I'm with you on this one. I'd def hold firm with ruining her life (haha) and suffer through the storm. No fun at all!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yep, I'm with you too, torque, no question. Either a parent goes with her or she doesn't go, would be my answer.

Everything was fine when I got home on Thursday. I had a super crazy day at work but I was determined to make stuffed peppers when I got home. Son2 and I went for a walk while they baked, Son3 (homework guy) was civil and then raved about how good the peppers were.

Yesterday: soccer balancing. I even called him from work before I left to make sure he was getting everything ready because we had to leave the minute I got home. When I arrive he has his uniform on but only one sock. He owns two pair of soccer socks and can only find one sock out of four. Frantic searching results in one sock of the other pair being found but they do not match."Tough, put them on." Then I check to make sure he has his water bottle. Of course not. Argh. We almost made it in time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

torque wrote:
thanks for the vote of confidence. it makes me feel better amidst the door slamming and sobs.

oh the drama.

I had a little entitled jerk rip his papers up and throw them very dramatically in the trash as he called me a bisque on the way out the door Friday. I told him to have a nice weekend. (I refused to accept his 6 weeks overdue work on my way out the door Friday afternoon. I guess he thought I should have made an an exception for him, stayed an extra 30 minutes or so to grade and resubmit all my semester grades. Boy, I am a bisque, arent I?)

At least your drama comes from a 13 your old, and I guess that's their gig. Sure is why I am not cut out for middle school. This kid was 18. Yegods

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Arisaig wrote:
Frantic searching results in one sock of the other pair being found but they do not match."Tough, put them on." .

Ha! Shae started a county-wide trend a few years ago that began just like this. Except he owns like 20 pairs of soccer socks so I have no idea why it was so difficult to match two. On e everyone else started wearing mismatched ones, he suddenly could match his just fine so he didn't blend in.

Seriously though, it is absolutely amazing how kids seem to slow down by a million percent when you are in the biggest time crunches.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the soccer thing happens with my spouse. no more comment on that front.

it turns out nobody else was allowed to go [in theory she had asked 10+ people to go with her]. even though dad offered to go, she didn't want to go without friends. so.... problem solved! Karma, for once, was helpful instead of vengeful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 pm 
We So Excited

Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Kelly wrote:
Seriously though, it is absolutely amazing how kids seem to slow down by a million percent when you are in the biggest time crunches.

Quoted for truth! I used to be able to get out of the door in 15 minutes, and now I can spend 15 minutes just trying to get a very unhappy cat-sized person into a diaper.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Quoted for truth! I used to be able to get out of the door in 15 minutes, and now I can spend 15 minutes just trying to get a very unhappy cat-sized person into a diaper.

Yep. They have some kind of radar for when you don't have time for rounddicking, and then double down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it turned out her friends either went or are en route and sent a message [the event was from 1400-1600 though and it's after that so i don't know what the hell this is all about]. she just came into my office and dripped angry tears all over the place. poor kid.
i gave her the old poof [the seating thing, not the gas] and taught her how to beat the shiitake out of it. hope she feels better. this sort of thing was the story of my teenage years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm 
We So Excited

Teenage girls are awful! I'm sorry she ended up left out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh torque, how tough for her! I hope everything blows over fast.

My friend has a 14yr old and its kind of amazing how they have feuds and go in and out of being best friends and leave one another out for the most trivial of reasons. It sounds like this age - finding your place with your social peers - is just really challenging for everyone. I'm sure the poof will get lots of use!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ah, poor kid! Sucks how this stuff works out.

Shae's bummed today that I wouldn't take him to Pier Park (hour drive each way) to skate today with his friends in pouring rain/thunderstorms/tornado watch. He's not freaking out but just pouting/guilt tripping.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

she's fine. she's drowning her sorrows on some forum. [hehe]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Ah torque, that's the pits. I was in her position a lot as a kid because most of my friends were on the internet. My mom, who never used the internet outside of AOL mail, was absolutely terrified of everything having to do with the web. That led to a lot of conflict between us.

Is it possible to encourage her to build an age-specific group of anime fans? If she were able to build a young adult anime fan group in your area, you'd be less likely to encounter the (totally in existence, definitely creepy) older guys who could show up and make things weird. I don't know what your library/museum scene is like, but I work in museums in the States and they are all about community engagement right now. They might welcome a group of kids meeting at their institution to talk about their passions. Either way, good luck. You couldn't pay me to be 13 again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

kate i feel the same way about that age. i am not afraid of the interwebz [hell, most of my friends IRL were met online] but she's already put real info on her FB and ugh. This may come across to you as too much but I live in a place where crime is a bit more intense and frequent. [i wasn't kidding earlier about the girl ending up in a suitcase in the bus station. it's still unsolved, but the police determined some guy picked her up on Orkut and they met up, and somehow in the middle he murdered her. i think she was 11.] she understands that but doesn't want to accept it yet, i guess.

our museum is a weird one. i worked in museum education in college and i know, any museum should be eager to latch onto this one. This museum was sort of a pet project to showcase the city and was pretty much built and collection funded in one swoop about 20 years ago. They have a strong endowment and any non-permanent show is more or less free for them [local artists, uni projects, and a biennial with external funding] so they don't seem too interested in engaging anybody- no public funding to get or public to serve! I will mention it to her and see if she wants to pursue it, though.

It's a shame because it's not really used for much except for attracting tourists. our yearly Japanese festival [which has been co-opted into an anime meetup] takes place on the same block as this museum and they've been trying to get it cancelled for years. they claim it brings in the criminal element. to be fair when i went to pick up the kid it was like a flea market for pot and hookah pipes, so they may be on to something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:35 pm 
We So Excited

That's got to be hard having a daughter in someplace with a higher crime threat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

That's such a shame about your museum! Such a wasted opportunity on their part. At least FC has a message board to complain to. ;]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Friday wrote:
That's got to be hard having a daughter in someplace with a higher crime threat.

ha, some people I know would probably say the same thing about New York!! [i remember driving out to visit my auntie in Breezy Point as a kid, which to be fair was a really scary place back then, and my father telling me very gravely "lock the car doors, roll up the windows and don't open them unless they set the car on fire"] crime is so relative.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am a bisque who never let's go of anything and I am the most childish person my 19 year old knows.

All because I didn't jump up and cosign for his new car. But instead I asked that he save up money for two more months and then revisit the idea.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:36 pm 
We So Excited

Ouch. It sounds like you handled it perfectly, tho. Maybe someday he'll see the boundaries helped him more than the cosigning would. In 20 years or so, but still. Meantime you can know it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Additionally, repeating the same thing to me after you called me names will not get me to change my mind. In fact at this point I could give two shiitakes about the car he is driving.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

so i'm hiding in my office again. have to go out and not looking forward to it.
need to work on that office toilet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 35  Next