| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey, let's complain about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

thank you so much LW; i will be checking out whatever you've got. we do a lot of khan academy type stuff and homeschool resources from SAS, i think. they're not well arranged and it's hard to figure out an "order" of content as it's all standards based. they're also just not too thrilling. i have a few different copies of Saxon math and figure we can go through some of it.
i just contacted the district today and looked at their website. They were recently voted the most improved high school in the state and recently did really well in state ranking.

The NWR Math Department, would like to inform you of two exciting math programs available to your children designed to monitor student learning and respond when students experience difficulty in math. The two programs are the Study Hall Math Lab and the Math Learning Center.
The Study Hall Math Lab is designed for any student to receive help from a math teacher in their study hall periods 2,4,5,8. Math teachers have been assigned to a study hall each of those periods with the intent of assisting students who need supplemental help on their mathematical skills. The Study Hall Math Lab places the responsibility on the student to take advantage of this resource.
The Math Learning Center (MLC) is a peer tutoring program available periods 3 through 9 to help any student with their math skills. It is, however, specifically focused on the individualized remediation of skills from assessments. Math students who receive below a 70 on a test or below a 50 on a quiz are required to go over the assessment in the Math Learning Center with their peer tutors, in the Study Hall Math Lab with a math teacher, or they can just arrange a time to go over the assessment with their own math teacher. The purpose of this program is to focus on capturing students when they need help as determined by their performance on math quizzes and tests. Students will receive peer tutoring with a focus on the remediation of skills that were deficient as evidence by the assessment. Classroom math teachers will provide the peer tutors with the necessary materials for those students who are assigned to the Math Learning Center. The peer tutors are high-achieving mathematics students currently enrolled in Pre-Calculus or Calculus who have a genuine interest in helping other students with mathematics.....
It is important to note that remediation of the assessment is mandatory. Students must take advantage of any of these three options to receive homework credit from their math teacher for the completion of assessment items that need remediation.
What happens if a student fails to remediate their assessment as required by the teacher?
• If a student has not remediated the assessment within three days after receiving it, the student gets a warning and the parent will be notified.
• Students will then be required to participate in “working lunches” with a study hall math teacher until their work is completed.
• If after one week the assessment is not remediated, this will be considered as a “failure to follow school procedure” which will result in a detention as per the code of conduct.
A major responsibility of a professional learning community is responding to students who are experiencing difficulty in a timely manner with intervention and remediation programs that put in place at the school level. The Study Hall Math Lab and Math Learning Center are beginning steps in establishing a new paradigm in the type intervention and remediation programs available for students.
We ask your assistance to encourage your child to take advantage of the Study Hall Math Lab if they are in need of assistance with math. We also need your support if your child is assigned to remediate math skills as evidence by their performance on assessments. Research states that when all stakeholders within the school and community work together, a significant difference in academic achievement is the result. We look forward to your cooperation and involvement in this process.

I am so looking forward to having some support and not being the only person who gives a shiitake.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Torque, that procedure is amazing! Wow! I'm so glad you are going to have support and that FC is going to be in a situation that is set up to help her learn how to help herself <3

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We do a lot of that at my school too. It's great in theory, but in practice, it means kids fail their other classes because all their study hall and after school time has to go to math. It's frustrating that they get total priority. I have so many kids absent on test days, and my only opportunity for them to take it is for them to miss more class time to do it in class.

I'm just grumpy about this right now because math gets state testing remediation priority too. So, even though test scores are 50% of my evaluation, my struggling students are now pulled out of class and out of my remediation to do math, virtually guaranteeing they will fail the state test in my class. Grrr.

But, yeah, you will find that math help is easy to come by in most US schools because their federal funding depends on their math scores! And English.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i can understand that for non-math teachers it must be very frustrating. my experience has been in private schools and we just simply didn't have the test obsession that the public system has created, i think i would have been very angry to feel like my course was considered to be less valuable. but, as it's the one subject i just don't feel comfortable picking up the slack in, it's a huge relief.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well, I mention that not just to bisque, but because I think parents need to be vigilant these days that their kids are getting a well rounded education. Science and social studies are being minimized or even ignored in a lot of schools. This is not as huge a problem above around 7th grade, except the result is lowering the quality for everybody when kids don't have an appreciable background in these subjects. 9th grade biology, for example, kind of assumes kids already know certain basic things, but that is becoming a risky assumption.

This risk is higher in schools who have a lot riding on test scores.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Somehow Shae taught himself 5 math lessons last night & did all the assignments for each one and made the highest grade (a 99) on the test today. He says he did a cartwheel in class he was so happy.

Why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyy does it have to ALL or nothing, I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i spent 60 min combing knots out of a wig so that FC can do her one and only big serious cosplay of her life here.
Of course after all of that [which led to me working til 130AM] she has decided she won't wear the wig. FML.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jfc. I'm sorry, torque. That succkkkssssssss. Was she at least somewhat appreciative that you did it?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, surprisingly. we still have 2 days before the con so she will change her mind approximately 150 more times between now and then.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha, that sounds about right. Shae had a 20 minute near panic attack last night over whether or not to carry a bag on a field trip. That old teen/toddler parallel rears it's ugly head once again.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 am 
Huffs Nooch

Hi All,
I've just started looking through this thread & looking around the playground section. I have a teen & two tweens, all vegan since the start. Is there another thread already going for discussion of our kids in this age group, minus the "complain about" component?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

start one! we have a sweet moments anti-vent which is for all ages; we have another good parenting moments thread-but feel free to make one that more specifically fits your needs. I think this thread has sort of become a catch-all for anything teenager, since we tend to add positive things and questions here too.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I can change the subject to "chat" instead of complain because torque is right, this is definitely a catch all now. Welcome, cascadianvegan!

Post subject: Re: Hey, let's chat about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the replies & welcome!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my child went to the con. did the time consuming wig get worn? of course not. she looked totally fab anyway though.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Today Shae wrote 3 essays. You can imagine how fun that was to facilitate. WHEN WILL THIS YEAR END.

At least all the makeup work should be caught up now and all of the school leave for field trips is over.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm 
We So Excited

It's like forking clockwork. Musical comes home, F. Suitcase gets oppositional. Hate this cycle. Getting milder, but still.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this is the story of my life!!! I can't wait to change things up.

Just talked to the district yesterday, didn't get my questions answered, but it's a start. The woman said "we've never had an international transfer before..." and my immediate Brazil response is "oh we are so forked" but remember that the US response is "we'll find a way". I think the cultural return is going to be a real mindbender for me in terms of readjustment.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 am 
Semen Strong

Good luck T! How is FC taking the talk of moving back to the US?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ah, hope it's easy to figure out and not too stressful!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I talked to the district before I left this AM and it will be fine. No POA, no notaries, one signature. 4 proofs of address (!) but we'll be oK.

FC is doing alright. She's just told her friends and is starting to think this is coasty time. She still has plenty of work though; Mr T is trying to be extra nice and let her get away with everything before we go. I just took her out for ice cream this afternoon and we talked about it and i told her that she should enjoy it while it lasts because i won't deny his wish to make things nice while we're all together, but the new arrangements will be VERY different.
She's doing OK, optimistic.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

just asked her what she would say about her mental state. In typical 13yo drama, she asks me to forward the following statement:
"I am in a state of anticipation of future homesickness."
I remember being this age and Oscar Wilde himself could not have held a candle to my drama, angst, hair-in-face and eternal misery. Chip off the old block she is.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
just asked her what she would say about her mental state. In typical 13yo drama, she asks me to forward the following statement:
"I am in a state of anticipation of future homesickness."
I remember being this age and Oscar Wilde himself could not have held a candle to my drama, angst, hair-in-face and eternal misery. Chip off the old block she is.

I can't wait to meet her :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

CQ! i just saw you on skype-- sorry i missed you! [i think i must have just gone to bed? it was early, i'm not sure].

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
CQ! i just saw you on skype-- sorry i missed you! [i think i must have just gone to bed? it was early, i'm not sure].

Haha, that was actually like two days ago that I messaged you! I'm on there a lot though, say hi some other time <3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 35  Next