| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey, let's chat about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Why do all your schools end so early??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kelly and I live in Florida - school ends early here but starts in mid-August.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We go until end of the month, but school is effectively over and we aren't supposed to have grade altering activities past this point. Thank god my school is not going out making sure we are keeping kids engaged with "academic activities" like my last school. It's just not possible. Of course, most kids stop attending by now anyway, seniors for sure. I had maybe 10 students all day, if that. They weren't all skipping. Some do community service stuff for the last two weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vantine wrote:
Year is over! He managed all A's save one B in gym during one grading period. All we have planned for the summer is drum lessons and a water park. (And killing things in video games...)

Tradesies?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am so so glad that the school year is almost over.
We have a list of things we want to do this summer. And if I can start making money then we are good to go.
Alex (the 16 year old) wants to go to a bowling camp. Ummm... right on. I love to bowl. It is the best idea for a camp too. The hours are set through the summer, they provide lunch and it has drop in rates.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The rest of the FCAT scores were released today. I can't even.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 am 
Discovered unobtainium

you mean statewide scores? What are they like? I'm curious after seeing scores for our state. (not pretty)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, statewide scores. His are not good. They are average, but since he scored nearly perfect on them a few years ago, it's a huge bummer to see them go down so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Is Florida doing the "increased rigor" BS that most states are doing?

What Virginia did is a really neat trick: made the tests harder (in my observations, this has meant writing the questions to be as muddy as possible and making students click on crepe) while simultaneously dropping the floor for passing scores.

I really wouldn't put much stock in the scores, honestly. They test how well a kid is at taking tests as much as anything. They can be great benchmarks and great assessment tools, but the way these tests are used and twisted is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:04 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
What Virginia did is a really neat trick: made the tests harder (in my observations, this has meant writing the questions to be as muddy as possible and making students click on crepe) while simultaneously dropping the floor for passing scores.

What is the point of doing that? Just curious - apologies if it is beyond the scope of the thread, I definitely don't want to threadjack! I don't know much about the testing, but I am really interested in how its being used politically.

And Kelly, sorry that Shae's scores went down - is there an explanation?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Is Florida doing the "increased rigor" BS that most states are doing?

Yeah, I think it started last year? But maybe changed more this year? I'm not even sure, it's so confusing. Everyone I am talking to is seeing much lower scores too, so apparently it's common.

I wouldn't be too worried except his high school course placement depends on these scores so I hope he still gets into the classes he needs to be on track with his program! Ugh, stress.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:

Girls + Soccer > schoolwork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tofulish wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

What is the point of doing that? Just curious - apologies if it is beyond the scope of the thread, I definitely don't want to threadjack! I don't know much about the testing, but I am really interested in how its being used politically.

The point is so they can crow about increased rigor and academic excellence and high standards and high expectations while not seeing a huge drop in scores that could jeopardize federal funding.

Kelly--that is lousy. That sort of thing is EXACTLY how these tests shouldn't be used. A piece of the puzzle, sure, but a deciding factor? That is nuts. I hope he pulled through with what he needs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It is just a piece of the puzzle, but I'm not sure how big of a piece! Everything is always so vague and no one seems to know for sure. Now we get to sit and wonder all summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Kelly wrote:
It is just a piece of the puzzle, but I'm not sure how big of a piece! Everything is always so vague and no one seems to know for sure. Now we get to sit and wonder all summer.

Ok. If it is what they do here, grades and teacher recommendation forms get by far the most weight. Also, squeaky parents. I'm sure he will be fine, but please don't be afraid to call and ask. If you know who his counselor will be, contact that person. It is usually alphabetical or by grade level and should be on the school website, or ask the front office.

And if he doesn't get the classes, he can work his tail off, get A's and ask to me moved second quarter. They won't do this unless you make a pest of yourself, but they will do it.

If state scores are lower everywhere, the schools are aware that these tests are not reliable indicators right now. We are all aware of this in my state, with the very possible exception of the DOE.

Fingers crossed for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Well, in NY, everyone is expecting the scores to go way down this year because the exams are new. They are testing the new Common Core Standards that almost all of the states have recently adopted. One of the big problems with the new exams is the fact that they are implementing the standards across the board...all at once. Many education experts recommended rolling out the new standards, or at a minimum rolling out accountability for the standards (testing) grade by grade. That way a child in K would be assessed by the new standards, since that was in his curriculum this year (hopefully). A child in fourth grade would just have access to the new curriculum for only one year, potentially not having time to learn everything in that short of time. Each grade's standards increased significantly. I'm finding in math especially, the new expectations are almost an entire grade level above that what they used to be. So I can only imagine the mess that it would be for students in middle and high school, with all the gaps compounding each year. They had years of being held accountable for the old standards, and just one year to adjust to the new.

To make matters more complex, the teachers in many case have not had time to learn about how to implement the new standards, do not have a way of knowing how they will be tested, or even materials to use in their classrooms to prepare for the new tests. Everyone is scrambling to figure out the new stuff and its very confusing.

http://gothamschools.org/2013/02/20/twe ... er-scores/

I don't know if this is similar in Florida or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:42 pm 
We So Excited

Ugh, I am all over the place w kid. She's away visiting girlfriend. I trust her her to take trip, like her g.f., traveled like this when I was a year into college, and am happy for break. But having some anxiety, because this does not comply w agency agency rules.

Then this morning I went down to her room to check on something, and found it locked. Which means she swapped out her door handle and got a key lock, which has been a no since she's been with me. It's about her brother, she's said but I'd give you key when this has come up before, and answer has still been no. So she did it anyway and of course did not give me key, and I found myself locked out of a room in my forking house ready to kick in door. Which wasn't necessary, turns out she'd left back door, to the outside, open. So anyone could've broken in, but at least she has her lock.

I went in her room, unlocked door and locked back door. I have not confronted her yet. Not ready for her usual escalation to crazy accusations and personal attacks. Part of me wants to not even say anything and see what she'll do when she gets home, if she'll have nerve to confront me over unlocking the lock she wasn't supposed to have. Just so pissed.

The other piece, she's going to argue she does get to have it cause she went on tear to partner on my bday about how she was getting a lock and didn't care what we said, but that she'd not bring it up or fight w me about it on my bday. Partner said no, she will argue that since she said she was going to do it and I didn't say no or stop her it's ok. At the time of my bday, we thought the not bringing it up to me was a sign of empathy and self-control, but seeing as how she did it anyway, now it looks more like manipulation-- using everyone's fear of her ruining my birthday (which has happened) to get something by me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:43 pm 
We So Excited

Ignore rant. Right now I'm just so enjoying peace and quiet, and the fact that I can trust kid out in world even if not always in relationships at home. It isn't worth being upset. I'll figure out a response later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:28 am 
Nooch of Earl

*hugs* Friday, enjoy your kid-free time! It sounds pretty normal, though infuriating, both on the leaving the house open count and the locking you out of the room thing (I'll admit buying a lock seems over the top--never would have occurred to me!).. If she's got concerns about her brother going through her stuff or taking things while she's out, is there a way to address that? It would've bugged me too. (I have an older sister, so mostly that problem ran the opposite way, heh--can't help it that she had all the cool CDs and stuff that needed borrowing during her college breaks!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 am 
We So Excited

Thanks.
I realized last night that she might not have bought a lock and also accidentally left the back door open. She might have turned the lock that was there (there always was the lock you can put on for when you're in the room) and left the back door open as her plan to get back in. I can see her convincing herself no one can get back there (very hard to get to our back yard unless you live in one of the attached houses, and her door is down a flight of stairs.)
I'm feeling really evil right now. I'm imagining putting the lock back on and seeing what happens when she comes home. Also, it's raining, there are flood warnings today, and her room has flooded--I'm hoping she's worrying, imagining her room flooding and us unable to get in and rescue anything.
No one ever goes in her room and touches her stuff. She and her brother have a lot of this back and forth, and she's also mad because he gets to lock his room up--only because it has a separate entrance! But she doesn't like him having what she sees as a privelege that she doesn't have, and I think that's at the heart of this.

This is all normal adolescent stuff--where the abnormal comes in is in having to prepare for her reactions--she goes nuts when she's caught out doing something wrong, however gently it's addressed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:55 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The twelve year old is practicing for her future vlog by narrating changing the fishbowl.
This is not abnormal in this house.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:57 pm 
We So Excited

That is awesome kfad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I would have recorded it... if I could have done so without her noticing.
SOON!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shae is officially taller than I am. Less than a month ago he was my exact height (5'6") and now he's nearly 2 inches taller. I have to look UP to see in the eyes of the human that I grew in my body. I just can't even.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
Shae is officially taller than I am. Less than a month ago he was my exact height (5'6") and now he's nearly 2 inches taller. I have to look UP to see in the eyes of the human that I grew in my body. I just can't even.

Whaaaaaaaat! How fast did that happen?! I think that day's not so far off for me either. (I'm 5'0", and my husband is 6'4", so the kids will probably outgrow me in about 6 more years, haha!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next