| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey, let's chat about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ha, it is the local high school- it's a regional middle/HS. after all this, we can't change schools, also there is nothing else around here. they don't have advanced or whatever, they do offer a remedial extra course during the day for kids need help, but no challenge course.
we are just going to slog through til Jan and GTFO, so trying to get her into the local private school is just not worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

so we had some school HW today, which she did at the kitchen table, without tantrumming, and she did her math without tantrumming, which was really nice. there was some snark and she lost her phone priveleges, which was funny because immediately after that, the phone rang, and she had to tell her friend she was unable to talk. i'd like to think there was some connection between good behavior and setting limits, but i think that would be too easy and logical.
one day at a tiiiiiiiiiime!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Okay, I get that we are sixteen now, dear Alex. And I get that you have loads you want to do with your dipshit friends.
But when I tell you that your little sister is doing all the chores because you are never home and you giggle.... gurl, we will have words and you will not like them.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:52 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Gah!
I caught Alex in a big lie today. I am just so sick of how ridiculous she is being.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hey twinsie! i caught my kid trying to forge my name the other day!! on something that wasn't even worth it, no less. what the ever loving derp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

That is just the thing. She lied about not going to a friends house. I gave her permission days ago and she is cancelling. FIne and not a thing. But suddenly it isn't friend a's house, it is friend b's. And then the lie about why. It was absurd. And pointless.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think they are contractually obliged to lie. i seem to recall i certainly couldn't open my mouth at that age without lying. which was probably why i wasn't allowed to do anything. on the parenting side this lying business sucks bricks.
we ran into her friend at the library. who FC said was going to ComicCon in October, so why couldn't she go etc etc. anyway, friend at the library said something about how her mother had only said that if FC was going that she could go along, and also what was ComicCon anyway. Hehe. Hehe. I was mildly amused. She's still not allowed to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I know I used to lie to my mom. But not over little stuff. That is why this is so weird to me. My oldest lies about big stuff. Alex lies about the most random things.

Too bad you are clean across the country...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I was all lies all the time with my mother from 12 to...I don't know, 25? I was constitutionally incapable of telling her the truth. My sisters were apparently the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i know i lied about the teeniest things. and the biggest ones. i know FC at least is honest with me SOMETIMES, and i can trust her, i think, with big stuff. i never really had that kind of relationship with my parents where i had serious responsibility and was trusted as an adult sometimes. i would like to think that makes a difference.

i mentioned this to my mom, and she just laughed. i was a terrible child.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:53 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It doesn't make a difference. I was practically raising my brother and sister from the age of at least 16 if not earlier. I worked full time from the age of 15... and went to school.
I thought that was the push for my lying. It was not good to bring up stuff without it turning into a fight. And to have any sort of life outside work and school and child rearing, I sort of had to.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

so much for that!!!! ha, parenting, no matter what you do you're screwed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Not to beat a dead tofurkey or anything... but I just busted her again for lying. What the fork is going on with her?
She is now stomping around the house. Sobbing. Because I told her I cannot trust her to go where she is telling me she was going.
I think it is good that she misses a girls night out to contemplate the lies she tells.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

torque wrote:
i think they are contractually obliged to lie. i seem to recall i certainly couldn't open my mouth at that age without lying. which was probably why i wasn't allowed to do anything. on the parenting side this lying business sucks bricks.
we ran into her friend at the library. who FC said was going to ComicCon in October, so why couldn't she go etc etc. anyway, friend at the library said something about how her mother had only said that if FC was going that she could go along, and also what was ComicCon anyway. Hehe. Hehe. I was mildly amused. She's still not allowed to go.

Uhh...ComicCon is also in July, so there's that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

thank goodness we won't be here then.....

FC is now stomping around and crying like someone died because, although I told her her friend could come over after school next week, she went and invited several people, none of whom i know, most of whom seem to be HS boys (? what the fork), and i'm not comfortable with it so i said no. she is obsessed with making a costume for one of these boys, even though she has no idea what the fizzle she's doing (she is going to make an arm's worth of armor using a sock and "crumbled paper". when i told her i wasn't buying her a vacuum table and heat thing for melting PVC or whatever great-for-pros-but-not-for-a-kid idea she had, it suddenly became sock and paper.) and he is apparently paying her $80 for a sock with crumbled paper. In the meantime all I seem to do is run around resolving problems and doing errands for her. And doing her jobs around the house, which she still doesn't do without nagging.

And of course, just to screw up everything, my mother is sick. Right before this cruise she and my sister are supposed to go on, which would give us a week of peace and quiet. Also, I was sick first, so it is my fault. I just want to lock myself in a closet for awhile. If they go, i'm sure FC will be a right PITA during our week of freedom. this kid makes me nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:05 pm 
Semen Strong

\7/I never lied. My mom magically seemed to know everything. Even the first time I came home drunk, when I was 23, she twigged it right away. Even though I'd been drinking for 5 years at that point and thought I was decent at hiding it. Maybe she always just thought the worst, and I am constitutionally unable to lie convincingly.

Even now, I don't ever lie. Even for stupid stuff. I will call a store and tell them if they overcharged me, and they literally always are like "Um, okay, don't worry about it." I blame Catholicism.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shae will lie about nonsense, but usually only out of laziness. Like if I ask if he has dirty laundry on his floor and magically never does (but actually ALWAYS does). Even when he was little he would lie about little things that didn't matter. Silas seems incapable of lying (so far. I know, I know.), he even comes home from school and tells me "I was bad but I don't want to tell you, okay? Is it okay if I don't tell or should I have good manners and tell you?". Both times it's been like, he took an extra turn on the slide or something.

I lied all the time as a teenager. My parents tried really hard to shelter me and I would do basically anything to GTFO.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annak wrote:
torque wrote:

Uhh...ComicCon is also in July, so there's that ;)

The one in NY is actually in October. http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you mean THE ONE SHE IS NOT GOING TO!! or the other one she is not going to??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
you mean THE ONE SHE IS NOT GOING TO!! or the other one she is not going to??

Hahaha yeah, I just meant, if she said October she's probably talking about the one in NY, so she'll know that the NY one that she is not going to is not in July, so it won't help if you tell her it's in July when she isn't talking about the one in San Diego (which is in July).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

they may as well ON MARS considering her chances of going......

aaaaaaaand, after all of that, the girl cleaned the mess off her floor before breakfast, and did her homework by 11AM on a Saturday. Didn't need to be asked. It's nice when things go well. (probably just jinxed myself for the rest of the day)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:24 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I just want to say that I hate that the girls have synced cycles.
Yes, it is shark week and it is awful.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ha, we are a house of women and i am sort of relieved that so far, we are unsynced. not sure if i could handle the hormonal silliness, although the way it is we have about two weeks a month when SOME person is extremely dangerous.

i forgot to post that i emailed guidance at school on monday. not sure if i mentioned it here but we had some drama.

they told me, when i registered, that there were no levels or different courses, that all kids have to study the same content, as mandated by state curriculum, so she would just go where there was room.

BUT, my mother happens to be friends with the mother of the science teacher, and she was visiting said mother when science teacher came over, and this teacher mentioned to my mom, when asked how it was going, that she was concerned that Baggy was "bored in class since she seems to have done it all before." then mentioned, and I can't BELIEVE that she would say this out loud, and not to the guardian!!! that she was in "the slow track".
Now, to be fair, she transferred in failing math and science, so I can't fault them for putting her on the slow track. The math still has not sped up *at all*, and when the teacher put up an equation on the board to introduce the chapter (and sort of scare the kids, i think), Baggy solved it "because i had nothing else to do in class" and the teacher was impressed. Now this is my kid the lazy slug, solving an equation because there was nothing else to do made me think maybe it was time to take action.
so i emailed guidance, and lo and behold, she was tested yesterday (again, when we registered they told us that there was no need to test) and she should have a new schedule on Monday. I am a little relieved. But damnit, if we hadn't happened to know the family or whatever, nothing would have changed! [i guess that is school for you anywhere, right.]
and we're enjoying our week of sanity. she had her friend over (the one, not the whole gaggle or the boys) and they had fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We have had similar troubles with the neighborhood high school. Although in our case, I do chalk it up to full on incompetence in the admin and a principal who only wants to further her own career. (I hate our neighborhood high school. I do hold the admin responsible for the errors they made including putting the oldest into a situation they knew he would fail in. And allowing bullying of an LGBTQ teen because and I quote "If she weren't out it wouldn't happen")

Anyway... hooray for the change in schedule. I really hope it will smooth out the rest of the year for her.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that LGBT thing is just beyond the pale, how horrible.

i am relieved, let's see what happens. And it was a good opportunity to break it to them that we may not be here the entire year (we're hoping to go home for her to get a spot for the next school year, beginning in Feb. Her first term exams are at the end of January, so it may work well.). I was afraid to tell them but so far not a blink of an eyelid.

OH, and the town library started an anime club on her recommendation! the setup meeting is this Friday.

Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 32  Next