| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey, let's chat about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i loved the pic your posted of kitty manicure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I'm glad school is going well for F Suitcase!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:04 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Baggy was set to go to her friend's birthday party-- til i looked over her shoulder while she was on FB yesterday and in the INVITE it was like "parents are traveling! house to ourselves! Bring the booze!" and I went ballistic. Mr T backed me up, to his great credit, and the party is now off her calendar. She had the gumption to protest loudly, until we both brought up a recent rape case (13 year old got roofied at a school party, gang raped, and it all got put on FB) and made it out that we trust her completely, absolutely, of course, [i'm not even going there right now] but i don't trust the others who might be there, so N.O. spells no. Then she shrugged, and said "okay, you're right." Could have knocked me over with a feather.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoa! You got her to admit defeat., I'm impressed! You have moved up a level.

Also, yikes. I would have lost it too. So not ready to deal with that kind of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

torque wrote:
Baggy was set to go to her friend's birthday party-- til i looked over her shoulder while she was on FB yesterday and in the INVITE it was like "parents are traveling! house to ourselves! Bring the booze!"

Ugh, kids!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:47 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We just had a toddler level temper tantrum over the curry I made for dinner. And then she had seconds.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

kfad wrote:
We just had a toddler level temper tantrum over the curry I made for dinner. And then she had seconds.

HA! So much of teendom is just a repeat of toddlerville.

Kelly, you are very kind for implying that I seem to have some kind of skill here. I think instead it was the barometric pressure, low blood sugar, or maybe a bit of undigested potato.
(I wish her friends were her age. They are all a few years older, unfortunately.)

We decided that wifi was too difficult to screw around with (although last night at turn off time i simply took the cable off of the router, which is easier), so now at a certain time i either disable the router -- I turn off all my communications at night anyway, so I don't care-- or i insist the devices are deposited in my office. ETA: WHEN I REMEMBER. le sigh.

Also, update-- the boy/friend lasted three days. She said he was uncommunicative. (I think she only liked him for his band shirts and then found out he didn't even know who the bands were). I would be lying if I said I was unhappy with this new development.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

torque wrote:
kfad wrote:

Also, update-- the boy/friend lasted three days. She said he was uncommunicative. (I think she only liked him for his band shirts and then found out he didn't even know who the bands were). I would be lying if I said I was unhappy with this new development.

This made me laugh. I don't think we used the word "poser" when I was a teen but I was keenly aware of them. Smart girl, baggy!

Today starts week 5 of the tube. Next Monday we see the doc and find out if he will go 8 weeks or 12 (8 please!). Poor boy says he is never eating popsicles again - they are one of the few things he is allowed to have by mouth. Tomorrow we are taking out the first tube and he is going to put in a new one. He says he can do it at home so we are going to do it together.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Arisaig, he is being such a trooper. I hope it is only 8 weeks too!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

poor little popsicle popper!! I'm hoping it's 8 weeks too! Here's hoping the tube goes down smoooooooooth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Friday wrote:
F suitcase is home, filled with dinner table stories about examine cat poop for parasites and finding her retainer in the pig poop in the barn. Love this kid.
Also, tho she is taking the agricultural animal science classes, she has assured us she is absolutely is not heading in that direction career wise.

I meant to comment on this - I went to agricultural college (at McGill). I had no interest in the animals, I majored in soil physics. Even if you are not interested, or opposed, to an issue it is very good to get an an insider's view of how it works. I am glad she is enjoying it!

I do not think that I could use my retainer if it had been lost in pig poop :-0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So my son decided last night his tube had clogged one too many times (5x I think in the past 10 days) and wanted to put the new one in right away. Both of us were squeamish and nervous but determined. I suggested he put it in the other nostril in case there was irritation in the first one but after 15 minutes and about 6000 sneezes he went back to the first nostril and it went in relatively smoothly.

When he took the original tube out I thought I might be sick - I am not usually squeamish but he's my son and ick!. There was a weird wad of blue foamy stuff about mid-way down. He said, very quietly, "What is that?". I asked him if he had just been eating a popsicle and he looked relieved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

disgusting! awesome! eeeeew!!!!!
good for you guys, what a trooper he is!

you are so spot on about that "not usually squeamish-- but he's my son". I spent a summer in an ER when I was still pre-med, have always watched when I gave blood, etc etc-- but last year watching Baggy get blood drawn, guess who passed out? how humiliating......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

So... The oldest (who technically is not a teen anymore but still...) got fired on Monday. His attitude has been pretty good about it. The unemployment office is already looking into other complaints on the boss. But Oldest is looking to move to Seattle. I agree that this is a good time for it.
What I don't agree with is that it is somehow my responsibility to do the leg work for him to have a place to stay. Or to find him gas money, or food money or party money. He is asking us for $500 to help with this. We don't have it. I gave up my lat two paychecks to pull us out of a situation.
This was just a vent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Things were going so well! So obviously, everything went kablooey last night.

Teens are toddlers. Totally. She only has the meltdown when Mr T is not around. So that then she can tell him her side and I look like the bad guy. She started getting mouthy with me when I remarked that I still haven't seen her study since school started. So, things progressed as they usually do, and I took away wifi, then her phone, then her weekend activity, then refused to talk any more and sent her to bed.

She smashed up her room, of course, which was already such a pigpen that you really can't tell. On the bright side, when Mr T came home, she was asleep so the fight didn't continue.

I am not giving back anything til the room is clean.
Of course, who really gets punished is me, because I have to stay home with her and drive her everywhere. And usually, clean her room.

The Diva did not make an appearance. I also refused to engage on that front, because I could see that Mr T was tiptoing towards grumpyland. I sat and read my book and thought about all the horrible things that happened yesterday and just kept quiet.
(ok. not horrible, but annoying- i may or may not have broken my big toe, had to run around creation for the kid so I couldn't go to the doctor --had to deal with her playing hooky on Monday-- then had a workday, which nobody seems to remember that I work, more shiitake with the water company screwing up our bill, and then after going shopping and cooking for everyone, I find that whoever washed the dishes put away the pressure cooker without the emergency valve. So after it pressurized and shot water everywhere, I needed to run to the store and buy another valve. At 630, when the store is like an ant nest. Just shoot me, somebody. )
{sorry, vent city}
good news is the toe seems better today, thank god. i've broken each big toe once already, and this time doesn't seem quite the same.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

update: we just had a nice talk about (reminiscences of toddlerhood again) how i understand that this is her safe space to vent and etc but could she tone it down a bit. She is the calmest, most reasonable young lady right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:07 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

From the bathroom just now "crepe, my uterus is falling out. Why does that always happen on spring break".

Poor kid. But I have to say, I giggled at the shouty-ness of that statement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always remember to complain, but never remember to give positive updates! Shae is doing really well with bringing his grades up. He's not where he should be if he had been turning work in on time & studying properly all year, but he's in a really good place and seems to really care about the results. Yay! It's been a long good streak for him too, so it's really relieving to see. He was invited to the freshman academic ceremony. His last quarter of the year is just starting, so this will be the real test, how well he starts off and if he can keep it up for the entire quarter, plus fcat testing & EOC's.

Also, this good streak has been littered with home drama- house broken into, grandfather has congestive heart failure, family friend passed away from h1n1 (that Matt & I also had at the same time), so it means a lot more. Any outside stress usually just throws everything off entirely for him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

good for him for keeping himself together, sounds great. i hope that your bad luck came in threes and is now gone for a while. you've had way too much shiitake going on lately, much more than you deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

It strikes me, again and again, that having a teen is JUST LIKE having a toddler.
(Baggy went to go stay at Mr T's work today, to make him insane for a change, so I can make my deadline, or maybe so he can understand that she doesn't just hang around washing dishes or doing homework, she's a pain in my buttocks. Before going to bed last night she came to me, crying, begging to be allowed to stay with me today, because he is "mean and yells at me". You mean like you yelled at me all morning, whippersnapper?)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, so true. I always wonder why I was never warned about this toddler/teen connection? Hope things get better, torque.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

There is the weird trade off of not having to watch them CONSTANTLY for louder, more volatile tantrums, bigger troubles etc. In my house the toddler years were so easy (not saying they are for everyone) compared to the intensity of what we go through now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think they were definitely easier! you could always just rely on the cabinet locks and let them dump all the tupperware in the kitchen, at least it kept them quiet! and when you really were about to reach the end of your rope, it was "BATH TIME" and the game changed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:38 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am going to brag about Shorty.
She has two band concerts this week and is actually practicing for both of them.
That is a big deal around here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

that is so awesome! i remember practicing for band and stuff and practicing was, well, torture. good for her.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next