| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey, let's chat about our teens/tweens!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It is harder for her to practice. She is small (much smaller than her peers) and she just had to play the trombone. She can't reach the last two positions yet. But she is being a trooper.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay, shorty! That's great!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

kfad wrote:
It is harder for her to practice. She is small (much smaller than her peers) and she just had to play the trombone. She can't reach the last two positions yet. But she is being a trooper.

I love picturing this! Good for her for not giving up or choosing a smaller instrument, if the trombone is what she wants.

My youngest son from the time he could move around (walked at 7 months) to about 4 or so was a crazy toddler - no sense, would climb on/run to/grab/push/swing on/destroy anything. That's when I started taking yoga classes. My nerves didn't get a rest that whole time. Now as a teen he is the calmest sweetest boy. I guess you get it one way or the other :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

As an update on said sweet boy - he is doing well, still on the tube full time probably until May 8 - that's when his next gastro appointment is. At the last appt. we found out he is doing well and the treatment is working, thank goodness. He says he is used to the tube now but I still cook very little to keep food smells down. After May 8 he will still have the tube at night for an as-yet-undetermined time but will be able to eat real food during the day. He has started on a new drug though and I am worried about that.

This weekend his Scout troop is going camping for the first time since he got the tube and he is going! There is a farmhouse on the land that has electricity where he can charge the pump. The formula is packaged in 250 mL tetra packs (the same as juice boxes) so it won't spoil. I am going to get him a small dry bag for the pump, which is water-resistant but not waterproof. They are planning a mantracker-type event so he is going to strap on his specially fitted backpack, make sure all his tubes are taped/tucked in, and go.

I am hoping to get some pictures from the Scout leader to send to the clinic :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:28 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Good for him! I love hearing how he just won't let it get him down or stop him from doing what he wants.

I once fished Shorty out of the washing machine (right after she learned to walk) because she wanted to take a bath with her blankie. Some kids are just determined.
:)

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks for the update, i've been wondering about him. and i sure hope you do send some pics to the clinic, i know i don't have to tell you this, but when you first find out about treatments and interventions it can feel so disastrous, it will certainly help some parents and kids to see that this is not as big of an impediment as they might imagine. <3 to both of you!

....mantracker? (whoah here she comes.... watch out boys, she'll chew you up, whoah here she comes, she's a mantracker)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ah, one of those fantastic moments--- look over from my office and see that Baggy has cleaned her room (amazing), lit some fragrance oil, and is studying on her bed, without having been asked. Again, toddlerville--- caught her in the act, and told her tomorrow we can go wherever she wants for lunch, and get those posters she had been talking about printing up. The upshot of it being toddlerville #2 is that bodily waste is not involved in the game anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

torque wrote:
ah, one of those fantastic moments--- look over from my office and see that Baggy has cleaned her room (amazing), lit some fragrance oil, and is studying on her bed, without having been asked. Again, toddlerville--- caught her in the act, and told her tomorrow we can go wherever she wants for lunch, and get those posters she had been talking about printing up. The upshot of it being toddlerville #2 is that bodily waste is not involved in the game anymore.

No... but I have three of these toddlers and they like to have belching and farting contests. Let me tell you the "what's that smell game" is so much grosser now.

Oldest (who was fired right after we got back from dealing with the death of my aunt, because his boss didn't believe him) just got a new job. Delvering pizzas. So he is not moving to Seattle any time soon. But he is working and that is good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ha, that sounds like the toddler i'm married to........ between him, the kid, and the dog, yes, what's that smell can be pretty disturbing....
Glad Oldest got a new job! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah Baggy! Those moments are too rare and magical.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:19 am 
Grandfathered In

DEATH TO SCREENTIME! This is the source of countless—near-daily—arguments, meltdowns, and stand-offs. I am so forking sick of this. We just got his report card, and it's not stellar. But he manages to squeeze in several hours of screentime per day. And asking, pleading, demanding that he prioritize his schoolwork is met with incredulous outrage and tears.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Have you guys just ever taken it all completely away? The only screen Shae cares about is his phone and I'll take it away for a week or 2 at a time (except for taking to soccer practice, but even then, I delete all the fun apps first!) and he seems to seriously care (for a little bit) when he gets it back. I know, it's so hard.

Good teen news! We went camping this weekend with some friends and Shae brought a friend with him. Two fifteen year olds laughing and genuinely smiling all weekend, just swimming, playing shuffleboard, skateboarding, climbing trees, roasting marshmallows, playing football &soccer with the little kids and a huge group of other campers' kids. So nice to see them being kids and having fun, without all the sarcastic and staring at their phones!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

must be the moon or something. i disabled the modem yesterday. the kid was watching hannibal marathons or something while we had a houseful of guests, didn't lift a finger to help cook or clean or even grace them with her presence (leaving me to try to explain?). i've had enough with the nasty and the screen-addict business. she needs a phone, so i've told her the next event will require her to switch phones with her father (old no-app button phone from 1988). that will be a whole nother problem (he protested almost as much as her)...

kelly, it's so awesome when things like that happen!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Why, oh why, is everything an argument? Why am I the one who is always the bad guy?
This mornings trauma was over a recipe I said that I would like her to veganize. And all I said was "If I make a few changes it will be vegan".
Not today, kiddo, not today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hi five. Baggy's school (actually, the whole state's teachers) is on strike and no school since thursday last. i told her if she won't go to school she will do the housework. she responded that (get a load of this) her K pop dancing and FB group admin commitments do not allow her enough free time for that. Guess what happened to the wifi.

PLEASE STOP STRIKING TEACHERS I WILL MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE IN YOUR SALARY FROM MY OWN POCKET IF YOU WILL TAKE MY KID AGAIN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:49 am 
Grandfathered In

While I am on your side, I wonder whether you've fully taken into account the IMPORTANCE OF K-POP!!

Who did she used to be into? SHINee?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

she reports that while big bang and 21 are her lifelong faves, her current distractions are
ailee
SHINee
d unit
infinite
solo careers like
g dragon
t.o.p.
hyuena (?)

and the dance obsession is t-ara's lovey dovey

(although i saw her shaking tail feathers to some j pop too)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

(It's HyunA, from 4 Minute, I'd assume.)

But now is the perfect time to be a 2NE1 fan!

Come on, meet me in the K-POP thread!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ha, i guessed we were having some communication problems with some of the names. she doesn't have the patience to spell anything out and i forced her to spell them because KEEP YOUR PAWS OFF MY WORKSTATION! (add to that she mixed up which languages she was spelling in, and E/A I/E are homonyms in portuguese/english.... frankly i'm glad any of the names were understandable at all...)
if our connection ever gets better perhaps i'll see you in jpop land. all these goddamn kids at home with nothing to do except play steam and watch youtube vids and the internet has visibly been slower and more problematic since the strike began.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 pm 
Grandfathered In

Kpop land. I know nothing about Jpop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 pm 
Grandfathered In

And what Steam stuff is she into? Wonder if chompy's into any of the same games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

NONE! the internet is DOWN! she claims she just uses it to talk to her friends in the US but i think she's full of bullhockey.

today's fun fact: the wifi was yanked out from under her approximately 3 hours ago (when she refused to clean up after her lunch) and she still hasn't noticed. i don't know what she's doing on that laptop, but unless she's crackin' passwords over there, it ain't streaming. yet she is completely unperturbed.

ETA: I said Jpop land! Oh boy, sorry, meant Kpop land. I have much more tolerance for kpop than jpop, unless i happen to have a bucket of rotten tomatoes handy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I have no idea what you are talking about, thankfully. Except Steam. Go back to work, teachers!

I learned last night at parent-teacher night that my son was a beatboxing hit at the school talent show a few weeks ago. I have, of course, never heard him beatboxing and he did not tell me he was going to be/had been beatboxing but apparently he was very good. Now I am on the hunt for a video.

Tube comes out (during the day) in 8 days, we hope! Results from the last blood tests showed elevated liver and pancreas levels so we did more yesterday - he is on a new drug and had pancreatitis as a reaction to a similar drug in January. Ugh, hate the drugs.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Good luck with drugs!! Yay tube!

Strike has "been suspended" and back to class on monday. the implication is that there may be a re-strike but i don't care as long as she goes the fork back to school soon!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Light at the end of the tunnel, torque - only a few days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next