| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: (Pre)school starts tomorrow!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Excuse me while I panic! I know she's going to love it but still. Freak out. Cry only when she isn't looking. She'll do it 3 days a week for 3 1/2 hours a day and she's going to have extra classes for Yoga and Music and we're going to switch to the day where they do art as soon as we can.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: (Pre)school starts tomorrow!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:53 am 
Inflexitarian

Hugs!!! I'm considering starting Zola next year and I'll be feeling the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My son misses preschool now that he's in regular school, he loved it. It'll be fine!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Give her a big congrats for me! I'm sure she'll have buckets of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

((hugs))

I don't know how parents do it, though I guess I'll find out in a few years. One of my nanny charges is starting school tomorrow (at age 4...England is so weird). We've had a couple of days of "lasts"....last day playing with Baby K (the other nanny charge)....last day eating lunch with Jen, etc. Dad isn't able to do the drop off tomorrow morning, so I'm going to go with mom and then we'll go have a cup of tea and burst into tears. :) Oi.

app..your daughter's preschool sounds awesome, btw!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:44 pm 

technically pre-k - mom fail! she loved it. had tons of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just got the class lists and schedule for BabyPunk's little preschool!
*sobs*
im not freaking out because i will be accompanying her due to her fear of other humans, especially the child kind but it still seems like "MY BABY IS GOING TO SCHOOL!"

im so excited to see that in her class there is only 5 kids including her and one of them doesnt start til the end of September so it will be four kids when she starts. two of them are from the playgroup we did there last spring.
they do a lot of "meet n greet" activities before school even starts so im really happy with how much hand holding there is to make sure the shy kids are ok. so happy with my choice.

i do see the first fundraiser of the year they have is a pizza sale and they need volunteers. ugh can the vegan opt out of selling pizza? :-(

looking at the schedule i see she gets all the Jewish holidays off which is new and different for me having grown up in an area that was like 99% Catholic. i better remember to mark my calendar otherwise i will totally show up to school with her on those days.

they havent asked us for any more money for tuition after our $250 deposit so im not sure what's going on with that. i imagine any day now they will be hitting me up for money

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i totally read the schedule wrong. there are 12 kids in her class they just have them split into two groups at different times for the first day

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Little BP is starting school!!! It sounds like this is such a good fit for her!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yes! i agree i think it's a perfect fit. even though i read the class thing wrong and she has 12 kids in her class not 5 i still think it will be such a great fit for her.

i had to take a highlighter to the schedule though because i was so baffled by all of it. they have 2, 3, and 4 day a week classes and the 2 day a week class is for kids like BP who havent been to school yet so after literally studying the damn schedule i figured out that the 2 day a week kids are super slowly eased into a full "day" (it's 2.5 hours in the "day")

the first few days is like an hour and a half and they are split into two smaller groups for the first day (hence my thinking there were 5 kids in her class) then they eventually go to 2 hours then finally 2.5 hours.

i havent done anything school related since college so this is all baffling to me! i feel so lost with this school stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:10 pm 

Wow!

That sounds great, LP! Fundraisers are always the worst, especially the non-vegan ones. I have a friend near DC and her kid's school does a fundraiser from a local farm?! It's so cool. Some non-vegan stuff, but some vegan stuff, and all local! Curious about implementing in new school.

Okay. So pre-k was great, k was great, 1st was great. 2nd sucked asparagus and 3rd got better but 2nd grade lingered as a terrible memory. 4th grade looms.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had to get a copy of BP's immunization record for preschool today and looking at it she never got "meningococcal"
we did not refuse any vax except hep A because i was told it was mainly for kids going to daycare in high risk areas so im unsure why she doesnt have this one.

isnt that for meningitis? is it bundled into other shot?

im confused

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think they don't typically give the meningococcal vaccine until they are preteen/teen age unless there are other risk factors. There's still a spot for it on most immunization forms because they use the same type of form for all ages of students.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh that makes sense then!

i thought meningitis was something that was a risk to infants so i was just making assumptions.

thanks for the explanation!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so BP has 2.5 days of preschool under her belt.

i knew this transition was going to be hard but didnt expect HOW hard it was going to be. the weeks leading up to school were awful. she had rampant crazy food related meltdowns. there was a good week of nothing but screaming and being unable to eat.
the actual first day of school went ok. i got her out of the house without kicking and screaming and she did ok there. she absolutely hands down refuses to wash her hands there which is a big problem. she's afraid of public bathrooms and i dont think she understands the little bathroom there is basically the same as our house.
we missed snacktime and outside time because of the hand washing stand off (it was a shortened day for the first day) but otherwise she did fine there. couple small tears during transitions from one thing to another but no worse than some of the other kids and definitely not the worst of the kids at transitions.

day 2 i had to drag her out of the house kicking and screaming and fighting me. it was awful. she calmed down in the car after about 10 minutes (its a 30ish minute drive there) because i gave her my phone to watch videos of beluga whales. once at school she did ok. it was a low key day and i spent a long time in a corner with her reading books because that's ok because she was there and doing fine and doing it at her pace. they found some dinos specifically for her and they had emailed me the night before asking me how i felt the first day was and any strategies for her (they are aware of all her issues) and the solution we came up with for hand washing was using wipes for now while trying to slowly get her into the bathroom then washing her hands there.

they told me i can sit with her on a bench there to have a snack if im having trouble feeding her before we get there and she needs something.

she would not sit at the table with the other kids for snacktime. that didnt surprise me at all. 10 other kids plus food = WAY TOO MUCH FOR CHARLOTTE. i sat at a seperate table with her and fed her yogurt with only minor meltdowns. i considered that a success. afterwards is outside time and she did AWESOME. she got to the point where she was running around by herself having fun and playing. it was great.

afterwards i told her we were done with school for the week and told her the other things that happen each day (things she is already used to) and i think im going to make a weekly schedule for her with pictures so she knows what to expect.

i was dreading this morning and there were some protests and tears but i actually got her out of the house without kicking and screaming and she was fine in the car.
she was a little sniffly this morningbut i thought it was allergies. she has inherited some of my ragweed allergies and has had issues on and off lately.
she did GREAT there today. she found a couple toys she was really into and stayed with them for quite a bit. and started engaging with the teachers a bit more and even went to do an art project with one of the teachers.
the longer we were there though the more i realized it wasnt allergies and she was actually coming down with a cold. after the art project she started coughing a bit and her nose was runny and i could tell she was about to meltdown (she refused to eat before we left) and she should no longer be there because i didnt want her spreading her germs around. so we left. i think i picked the right time to leave because she had had a really positive experience that morning but, man it's SO FRUSTRATING. i deal with so much shiitake just getting her to places and getting her comfortable to have it interrupted when it's going well is SO FRUSTRATING. though i know it's super common for kids to constantly get sick when they either start daycare or school but still AHHHHHH.
so we will probably miss tomorrow as well because she is a hot mess now that ive gotten her home. she feels like she's a thousand degrees, she refuses to eat or drink anything, refuses to let me take her temp, refuses to let me do saline spray, etc.

i did manage to get her asleep to nap though.
her meltdowns over the past few days have abated a bit. they are not at the level they were so i think we are moving forward.

here's our version of a first day of school pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQrYc7hgYw/?taken-by=lisapunk

this was today painting with marbles before we left
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKjCOITBNdv/?taken-by=lisapunk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh man that sounds rough. But also like this pre school thing is going to work. A was constantly sick for the first three months of nursery so I guess that will happen with baby punk. It sucks. I am glad we have pictures again. Yay! She looks really grown up. Marble painting looks like fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We are having our first cold of the schoolyear too. I am hopeful it passes quickly for us all!

I'm glad to hear each day seems to be getting a little better. You are working so hard to give her some social experiences, it looks like it is going to work out!

Giles I guess is doing fine at school. We don't hear too many updates - mostly did he eat or not while at school (mostly not).
Today though they said he had a really good day and that he actually let a schoolmate sit down and play with him with his alphabet pieces and that he was very patient helping her put them in the right order. This is a first. He ignores all his classmates and will note let ANYBODY except myself or his daddy play with his ABC's. I was proud and hope it gets repeated again at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That sounds so hard, LP! You're a great mom, even through all these struggles. Never forget that!! <3

And the sickness. For a while, it seemed like we could only go to my kids' fitness class every few weeks because they would all get ill a few days after one of the classes. Every. Single. Time. Nowadays, they handwash immediately after class before we leave the building and I follow up with hand sanitiser and they haven't been sick so far. Plus all clothes go right in the laundry when we get home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 am 

Oh LP you are such an amazing mom to work through all of this was BP at her pace. You really are. <3

Also E has been in daycare for about 1.5 months and has had a runny nose almost the entire time. Oh and her cough. I call it her kennel cough because all of the kids in her room seem to have it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

lobsteriffic wrote:
kennel cough

HA! Yes, my daughter has this too. Oh the joys of so many toddlers thrown together :-).

I hope BabyPunk feels better soon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annasrobbie that's pretty awesome about Giles sitting patiently with another kid playing with the ABCs. i remember the time C kinda sorta played hide and seek a bit with her "friend" at the park i literally almost started sobbing i was so happy.

BP is pretty much better from her cold. it was pretty bad for a day and then basically fine. she hasnt eaten much but im not surprised.
of course she gave it to me now im super sick and home by myself with her and the pets because my husband is traveling for work for 3 days and all i want to do is go pass out in my bed and/or die.

i think she's super hungry from not eating for 2 days and not eating much earlier today and has been having the epic food related meltdowns again and it sucks to deal with when your healthy but it double sucks when you're alone and sick but i finally got some yogurt and mashed potatoes into her.

we're skipping OT tomorrow because im sick and i dont want to snot all over their stuff so now i have to figure out what to do with her tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 am 

I'm sorry that you're sick while being alone and dealing with meltdowns, that sounds really rough. :(