| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what do you do with your toddlers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i long ago ran out of things to do.
BabyPunk will be 18 months this weekend so there's certain things she hasn't quite physically gotten to yet.

we go to the library alot
we go to the park but the thing with BP is she is not the run around and play type of kid. she is the walk around, poke at a stick, stare at stuff for awhile, repeat kind of kid. she cant do the playground equipment by herself yet. yesterday she was climbing up the slide so i let her but once she got to the top i had a major panic attack because she doesnt know she cant just turn around and walk off the slide, or step off the whole thing out into the air, or down the stairs.

we read about 8 million books a day.
we take the dogs for walks but im getting real bored with that as the only way i can get her on the back ergo by myself is using our bed so i cant drive somewhere and then do it so we keep having to walk in the same damn cul de sac by our house that has a lot of construction going on so im always walking through a construction zone.
to take her and one of the dogs somewhere to a walking trail and let her toddle would be a rather fruitless endevor as we would never actually walk anywhere because she would be go in circles or off into the shrubbery and the dog would want to like go on an actual walk.

it's raining today and im actually thinking about taking her to the mall and i absolutely loathe the mall but i dont know what else to do

all the many many people i know with kids her age all work full time or dont live close

Post subject: Re: what do you do with your toddlers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:12 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Have you tried one of those carriers where you put the kid in first and then put it on your back? Other than that (or a stroller), I have no suggestions except the pool, and I think you tried that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we did a LOT of what you did.

We got the membership to the Boston children's museum and went there at least once a month.
We got passes from the library to every museum, zoo, park in the area.
Anything at the library, we were there.
I used to scan the local papers and we went to everything. Also got tickets to local sports events, we saw every B league hockey game in new england, and most of the lower league baseball games. (and never sat through a whole game).

You're in Mass, right? Lots of good YMCAs up there. We became members to have access to the daycare and camp, which Baggy went to. Good kids group, swimming classes, etc. Totally worth it.

Also, we used to go to malls. I HATE malls, but just to have a new place to walk around and easy parking. Hell, at some points we went to the hospital to walk around (I was at my wits end because my other daughter wouldn't stop crying, there was a great SAFE playground for Baggy, and people we knew there, plus I had the frequent flyer pass for easy parking).

We also did a lot of water table/sand table/paint table type stuff at this age. Strip down the kids and let them go nuts with shaving cream, pour water in and out of tupperware, etc. Make one kitchen cabinet kid safe and encourage her to load it and unload it.

You are just reaching the end of the hard part when she can't use so much stuff herself. Hang in there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

she loves the little splash pool that is in town but its fall now so it closed long ago. we did swimming lessons at the Y and she HATED it. she hated it so bad i had to quit. she wants to sit in 6 inches of water and splash. so during the summer that's cool because we could go to the public kiddie pool but now that's not an option.

if it wasn't for the library i would have gone insane long ago.
we used to go to storytime 2x a week at 2 different libraries. we kind of fell off doign that but i have started again and sometimes we go and just play in the children's area during the day.
i also took her to some "backyard critters" presentation they had at the library once. was way above her age level but we still sat and watched.

we've done museum passes from the library but we aren't super close to Boston. we live in Marlboro so we're closer to worcester.
the discovery museum was great though maybe i should take her there again.

our adventure to the mall today actually was great even though i hate the mall. there is some Lego Americana roadshow happening and there was a lego play station in the middle of the mall then we found another regular play area and some other places to play at a store.

the mall that is closer to us also has a small play are.

we do have a water table but again it's starting to get cold here so we have it inside and she puts stuff in and out of it without water.

she's just starting to figure out coloring but it doesnt seem to hold her attention for long.

i was trying to teach her how to go down a slide on her own today (ie you need to hold yourself up or you'll whack your head) but then she decided going down the slide feet first but face down is the way to go so i guess that's ok. ha!

glad to know we are nearing the end of her not being able to do stuff herself. the park would be great if she could actually PLAY on stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We love the discovery museum (assuming you mean the one in acton?) plus there's a burrito place down the street from there that does tofu burritos! Are there any indoor place spaces nearby? I brought Henry and the boys I nanny for to one in cambridge that was great, spacious and had lots to do for both active kids and not so active kids, but then I brought H to one near us in Natick and it was hellish for the both of us. Also, playgrounds with sandboxes have been great for us, even though H is older (2.75) and can do playground equipment, a lot of times he just likes to sit and drive trucks in the sand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah the one in Acton. we took her with my parents one weekend and she loved it! didnt know about the burrito place so obviously now i *have* to go back!

i havent tried any indoor play spaces yet cause while i wouldn't call her "inactive" she is like the "stand back and take it all in" kid so if we went she would probably stand in the doorway and STARE until i physically moved her.

it took me quite awhile to get her to the slide in the play area at the mall today and then she kind of refused to leave it to explore anything else.
im also a bit afraid if i take her to one of those places she will get trampled by bigger kids

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

LisaPunk wrote:
if we went she would probably stand in the doorway and STARE until i physically moved her.

it took me quite awhile to get her to the slide in the play area at the mall today and then she kind of refused to leave it to explore anything else.
im also a bit afraid if i take her to one of those places she will get trampled by bigger kids

it is terrifying, but that's also how they learn to go down feet first (on those little slides in the play spaces rather than the big ones). the first few bonks and bruises (and bigger kids) are completely scary, but you get better at dealing with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Do you always have to take the dogs with you? Because "pointless" wandering is kind of what toddlers do, and it's pretty fun for me too actually. tiny wu and I are big walkers since we don't have a car. If we're going somewhere that we need to arrive on time, I put her in the Boba and walk normal-person pace. Otherwise, we can spend hours wandering around town and the forest nearby. During the summer I noticed one day that we took 2 hours and 7 minutes from the door of my workplace to home. I had to go back to work later and it took me, alone, 16 minutes.

We go up and down on curbs, steps, and wheelchair ramps. Sometimes we sit on benches and look at stuff. We chase birds in the park, pick dandelions etc, collect leaves, sticks and rocks. We examine which bicycles have baskets or seat covers and which don't. We look for signs that have Mama-letters, Daddy-letters, and Clara-letters. Sometimes people walking dogs let us pet their dogs. We look for ladybugs and spiders. We wave at bus drivers. We watch construction work.

If we don't want to just ramble, we go to the playground when the weather is good. Also the farmers' market.
Inside bets are:
the train station--who doesn't like watching trains? plus there are always people with suitcases, a tiny wu obsession. Also fun to go up and down the escalators.
the concert house/theatre--sometimes there are free concerts, usually students, in the smaller hall or the lobby. If not, there are lots of stairs and a fish tank.
the modern art museum--we often just walk around the rooftop viewing area or make loops around the large sculptures. We have a membership and on weekdays at 10 AM it is not busy.
grocery store/health food store--tiny wu likes to push the basket (we don't have big carts here), sometimes there are free fruit samples too!
florists are huge lately--lots of interesting plants and squash, maybe a fountain or something too
The library and swimming pool are also regulars for us. Do you know if there's another pool you might use? Here, for instance, the heated rehab pool at the senior center has open swim for babies and toddlers once a week.

For staying at home, we often have dance parties with Pandora or YouTube lists so there's an element of surprise to which song comes next. We also do something artsy most days--drawing with crayons or colored pencils on paper, chalk on the sidewalk, making collages with stickers and gluestick, stamps and a stamp-pad, play-dough. Clara likes cooking with me and also playing with the water in the sink. She has her own jar of dried beans and will "cook" with them in the pots, food processor, or baking tins. Sometimes we just hang out in the laundry room of our building since hangers, laundry soap, coin-operated machinery, buckets, and brooms are all of great interest.

In a real pinch I get out the tub and let her have an extra bath since that is a guaranteed good time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Do you have one of those books about 1001 things to do with a toddler or whatnot? I checked one out of the library and got some good ideas for bean bag games, fingerplays/songs, water play, building forts, sorting activities, etc. Most of the ideas were super simple things you could come up with on your own...but with baby brain I found it helpful. I am sure there is some sort of list on-line like that too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ScandinaVegan we do something similar at the park. there are a couple fields and a walking path behind the park so usually after swinging for awhile and exploring the playground part we walk over near the fields and trail. we have to pass a couple bball courts on the way so sometimes we get sidetracked wandering around there. there are a few good hills to run up and down which is something really fun to her for some reason. if we actually make it over to where the fields are, right before there is some weird exercise type stuff set up (not actual machines but like bars and things to do squats on) i dont know if it's some sort of crossfit thing or what but she likes wandering around those which i let her do unless someone is actually trying to use them. i dont think we've ever actually made it to the trails themselves since she started walking on her own. sometimes i get her to go partway around a circle of a walking track.

i guess we could go to the other walking trail in town without the dog. i just feel bad. i guess i need to get taht out of my head. anytime i leave to go somewhere there are two dogs looking at me like OOOH WHAT ARE WE DOING NOW I BET ITS GOING TO BE SO FUUUUNNNNNN.

last year when BabyPunk was still an infant we would go to the walking trail and walk 3 miles everyday with the less crazy dog. i would put her in the front ergo and she would usually sleep for 1/2 the walk and it was one of the few ways i could get her to nap. it was great exercise. now our walks dont actually consist of much exercise but they are fun so i guess it's a trade off.

annasrobbie next time we're at the library ill have to look for a book like that. ive never been around kids til i had my own so the obvious stuff doesnt come naturally to me.