| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fortified plant milk and vit B12
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:47 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what do people feed their kids to make sure they are getting B12?

i kind of assumed plant milk was fortified with B12 and D for some reason. we had been feeding BP chocolate soy milk and then she was eating so much soy yogurt my husband suggested getting her almond milk just as something different in case it had some different nutrients or something.

the other day it occurred to me to check what it was fortified with and the generic almond milk i had was only fortified with D. so i assumed it was because it was generic. today at the grocery store i looked at Almond Breeze choco almond milk and again no B12. i looked at cashew chocolate milk and no B12.

Silk chocolate soy milk has B12 in it so i can start giving that to her again but we were trying to diversify.

i cant get her to eat vitamins. i even bought her dinosaur vitamins but apparently that was a bad idea because they are too awesome to actually ingest. so to get her to ingest the vitamins i have to pulverize them in my blender and add them to the choco milk and she hates my blender and is super suspicious of anything that comes out of it. so i dont do this every day. so she doesnt get a vitamin everyday. also the dino vitamins only have like 83% of the RDA for B12. also the dino vitamins taste like cereal milk or fruit loops or something so adding them to choco milk makes it taste weird.

i could try gummy vitamins to see if those are easier to eat. the hard chewy ones she didnt want me to cut (dino!) into small pieces for her but was way to hard and big for her to chew. the problem with the gummy ones is if she refuses to eat it i cant pulverize them.

isnt it fun having a kid with eating issues? :-) :-) :-)

Post subject: Re: fortified plant milk and vit B12
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Our soya milk and corn flakes are fortified with both, but not enough to not need to supplement. There are D and B12 sprays, though. We found one that tasted like mint. I also have d-drops that are basically olive oil. And then there are vitamin drops you can sneak into a drink because once they get diluted, they don't have much flavour.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We buy the Whole Foods brand unsweetened soy milk and it is fortified with b12 along with a good amount of other things...maybe the almond milk is too? Before we lived close to a Whole Foods we would just stock up on the shelf stable containers (I think there was a discount if you got a certain amount). For almond milk I've been getting the Califia which is also fortified but a bit pricey. Also, I am pretty sure that the So Delicious coconut yogurt is fortified with both. Alice eats that, but now Ada only wants the Kite Hill yogurt (which is not fortified with anything).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:51 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

She doesn't need as much b12 as an adult. Less than 50% of the RDA for toddlers. We buy either store brand or silk soy milk, depending on which is cheaper. Jonah has two cups a day, which equals 100% RDA. We also eat fortified cereal and fortified nooch.

I really wish there were a vegan liquid supplement with vit. D, DHA, iodine, and b12. All the things vegan little kids need that aren't easy for them to get in food.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We do the VegLife vegan kids multivitamin. She thinks it's candy and loves it. I've never even thought to look at whether our milk is fortified!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:43 pm 
Semen Strong

We do a multi (with fluoride) and a B12 spray (Garden of Life). But I should add a separate D spray and DHA etc.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Crabby where do you get these vitamins from please (as we are both on the UK)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

They are on Amazon and in Holland and Barrett -- I just do a search and buy whatever is cheapest (taking vitamin concentration into account). Also, Abidec vitamin drops are pretty cheap and have D2 in them (no B12, though) and are in larger grocery stores and chemists.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone. it looks like a lot of Silk products are fortified with B12 because i found a tetra pack of Silk almond milk in my cabinet and that had B12 in it. i swear i thought the cashew milk i looked at was Silk but maybe not.

i want to get her off chocolate milk, we're at the point now where she's consuming enough calories that we can try to break some of the bad habits we created just to get her to consume food. she eats a lot of Stonyfield O'Soy vanilla yogurt but i looked and that doesnt have vitamins in it.

i might try some gummy vitamins and try to convince her they are a treat. i think her issue with the hard ones is they are hard for her to chew. my husband convinced her to eat one of the dino vitamins today but im not sure i can count on it daily.

the dino vitamins are toddler vitamins so the RDA on them are for toddlers. it actually breaks it into age groups too and i think for her age bracket it was like 83% RDA or something.

i dont think i have a shot in hell of using a spray with her considering her oral issues (you spray it in their mouth right?)

my problem will be finding the milk i want everytime i go to the store. as it was i was having to alternate between almond and soy based on what they had. maybe next time i go to WF ill stock up on their brand. it's good to know they have the tetra packs with B12 in it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also we had (infant) liquid multivitamin once. i do not know if it had B12 in it but it was the most vile tasting thing on the face of the planet. i think i got it in her once before she realized how horrible it was. i couldnt even put it in a smoothie because it was so foul. it wrecked the entire smoothie.

liquid iron is gross too. you would think these vitamin manufacturers would make them taste good but i guess since they are for infants they dont care. :-/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 pm 

mooo wrote:
We do the VegLife vegan kids multivitamin. She thinks it's candy and loves it. I've never even thought to look at whether our milk is fortified!

My kids also think those vitamins are candy. Ha. They love them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:20 pm 
Semen Strong

The spray is very sweet and Leela loves it, despite generally not liking anything near her face or in her mouth. Maybe worth a try?

I don't know which liquid infant multi you had, but the one we had that was foul was the one with iron in it. The rest have been fine. Maybe try one without iron if you haven't?

Just re gummies, we try and avoid sticky things that might pull out a filling, because of L's dental work. I don't know if that is an issue for you, but a few of L's fillings are really thin and more prone to being pulled out by something sticky.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont believe BP has any actual fillings. two of her teeth were drilled down to nubs and then reconstructed on top of the nubs. then two of her teeth have metal caps on them so basically they are fully incased in metal. not sure if the gummy thing could pull off the metal cap. i dont think so. not sure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We also do the VegLife vitamins and use the unsweetened 365/WF brand soy milk. The discount is if you buy 12 or more but they're so super popular they sometimes don't even have 12 in stock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

As a sort of side note, for a kid with eating issues I'd give soy over almond milk since almond milk doesn't have much in the way of protein.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
They are on Amazon and in Holland and Barrett -- I just do a search and buy whatever is cheapest (taking vitamin concentration into account). Also, Abidec vitamin drops are pretty cheap and have D2 in them (no B12, though) and are in larger grocery stores and chemists.

I see! Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:12 pm 

We do a b12 spray as well, but I just spray it in her food, something she's likely to eat all of. The spray itself is sort of neutrally sweet (we use Pure Advantage) and doesn't affect the taste of her usual breakfast - steel cut oats and red quinoa with blackstrap molasses (which may also cover any taste, actually). When she was still eating mostly mushy foods, I sprayed it in yoghurt, puréed sweet potatoes, refried beans, puréed peas and spinach with no ill repercussions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:26 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have a related question. So other moms say no cow milk before 1 which obviously isn't an issue. But I give baby some of my smoothie in the morning and it has soy milk. It's not in place of nursing or anything and I'm talking about 1 or 2 oz at the most. That's not a problem right?

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Shouldn't be a problem. They say no cow's milk before 1 just because it shouldn't be replacing breastmilk/formula for nutrition. But babies can have a little water (or juice) with meals once they're eating solids, so I don't know why a smoothie that happens to have plant milk in it would be an issue. Also, there's good reason to believe exposure to common allergens (like soy) before a year is helpful in avoiding allergies to those foods, so all the more reason it should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:24 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That's what I thought, thanks! I taught her how to use a straw and she loooves green smoothies!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

How great! Talya totally does not understand the straw yet, but she does love drinking water out of a regular cup.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont understand the Silk products

Soy, almond, and coconut Silk brand plant milk is fortified with B12. cashew milk is not.

what gives?

overall it doesnt matter, BP has been reguarly eating her vitamins lately and i usually buy soy or almond milk but i cant always find chocolate of either of those when i need them in the Silk brand. and the other brands at the local grocery stores do not fortify with B12.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for those of you who live in the northeast i discovered that the stop and shop natural brand (Nature's Promise?) boxed soy milk is fortified with B12!

i also found that the Nature's Promise juice boxes (at least the veg/fruit one i bought today) have B12 in them