| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bikes for Kids?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks to the awesome Ariann, we went to a fancy bike store and looked at some great bikes for small people. Looks like Leela really needs an 18". She's too tall for the 16" and too short to ride the 20" The bike store was out of bikes and won't be getting more in until this weekend.

So I have a bit of time to think about good brands. I see bikes for $80 at Target and Walmart and that is in sharp contrast to the $230 Cannondale bikes they had at the bike store. Is there really such a big difference in the quality, that I shouldn't be looking at a cheaper bike? Any bike brands you love?

I want to buy from the bike store, because they seem awesome about helping you fix stuff and replace things etc. And they have a trade in program for bike store quality bikes (aka no Huffys).

But if the only difference is the price point for a very uncoordinated 4 year who is mostly going to be learning to bike on flatish surfaces while I run behind her, the maybe it makes sense to just get a cheapo bike.

I bought an awesome Giro helmet from the bikestore, because I do feel like kids helmets are essential and I never felt comfortable with the Target one we had. The one I got is awesome and idiot proof. http://www.twowheelingtots.com/giro-dime/

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

Post subject: Re: Bikes for Kids?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've always advised customers to buy used bikes for kids, especially at that age. They're not riding them that hard, little kids tend not to be super careful with bikes and they outgrow them FAST. The specialized hot rock is a perennial favorite for parents I know who work in the bike industry. if you have a shop that sells used bikes, that would be my first choice. Or craigslist, if you feel comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:47 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

yeah i think a used bike sounds ideal. i was going to say go cheap because they grow out of it so fast. that's what we did - but now i wish we'd got one used!! my son barely uses it because he is still learning to steer so i'm sure it will be in decent shape when he grows out of it (and i'll hopefully be able to resell or donate it to someone at that point).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:50 am 
***LIES!!!***

We didn't go cheap specifically so we could keep trading up to used quality bikes without cost and also because her grandmother bought her first bike :) Also, the bike she has now should last her for at least four years (assuming no theft!) because of its sizing, so I'm not really worried about growing out of it fast, she's going to get a ton of use out of it (already does). I think her bike is a Giant brand, which is mostly what I've ridden over the years as well, but not because of any brand loyalty, just those are the bikes we've happened to like. Ditto with her scooter, I was fine with spending $60 on a good scooter because it's big enough that she'll be riding it for several years. PS, if you got a used bike of any quality, you could still take it in to a good bike shop for repairs. You don't have to buy the bike there to use the repair shop.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:38 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I would just go for cheapo bike wether that is new or used is up to you. There is no need for a quality bike at this age. A cheaper bike that doesn't fall apart with good ratings would be perfect for a new rider. $230 for a kids bike personally just doesn't make sense to me at all for L's age.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:48 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband found a cute 18" Disney mermaid bike at a thrift store and Leela loves the way it looks. She had a good time riding with friends but likes it a lot lease when it's just the two of us. There has been A LOT of complaining and I wonder if it's because the bike is too heavy and hard for her to push or if whining is just part of the learning process.

http://www.twowheelingtots.com/what-to- ... edal-bike/

Anyone willing to share their experiences?

I'll probably take it to a bike shop to see what we can do, but expect that they will tell me it's rubbish and just to buy a better one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks for sharing the link, Tofulish! I just quickly skimmed but will be referring to this again. We plan to get TW a pedal bike this summer or early fall.

For us a bike is only kind of a toy; we've accepted the Danish bike culture quite a lot. TW rides her balance bike all over town, which has been a lifesaver for grocery shopping while pregnant or wearing MW. Or for going places on the bus. So I'm willing to spend a bit more money for a good bike, just as I'd spend more for a quality stroller or good shoes.

Also, I can't speak specifically to the pedal bike, but you might check other factors that detract from the experience. For instance, TW hated riding with the foot straps of her snowsuit fastened. But if we undid them, she was a (cold-legged) happy camper. So there might be a simple solution you're overlooking, something friends are able to distract her from.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Very interesting link.

Malka (sometimes) complains a lot when riding with us, but I think it's mostly because we're trying to give her instruction instead of just letting her ride. When we just let her ride and do for her exactly what she asks, it all goes much better and she has fun. Like, we might think holding on to X part of the bike to help her get situated is most helpful, she thinks it's part Y. She will have a melt down if we hold X because we are being horrifyingly unhelpful in her eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hey SV, sorry I didn't respond yet about Scarlett's bike! We are also really really into bikes and it's not just a toy for us, so we spent way too much money on her bike. But the article tofulish linked totally explains why! Apparently the author of the article is a big fan of Islabikes, which is what we got her. They're based in Portland so we were able to go fit her and try one out. The lighter weight, kid sized parts and dimensions, hand brakes, and super high resale value sold us on it. I don't know if she would be just as happy on a cheapo bike, but I know she absolutely loves riding hers. There was a neighborhood bike street closing thing last weekend and Scarlett rode at least five miles and loved it! I couldn't believe she rode so far! I kept asking her if she was tired and she kept saying nope, and was smiling and laughing the whole time. So apparently it's really comfortable for her to ride. She has no problem lifting it over curbs or to turn around. We're in love with this bike! I don't know if they ship out of the country though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:38 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have a cyclist now! Babynut got her first pedal bike today and I was expecting tears and falls but I couldn't keep up with her. I am officially amazed by the power of the balance bike (she has been riding a balance bike since 2.5). I let her try the new bike before I put the pedals on to get a feel for the different size and weight. Then I put the pedals on, gave her a push and she was off! My own experience learning to ride a bike was extremely negative so this is such a relief for me. YAY!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay for all the little cyclists!!!

We are getting a balance bike from a friend to try out. Leela loves the Disney bike, but it easily weighs over 20lbs and I don't want her to end up hating biking because the bike sucks. I want her to love riding a bike as much as all your kiddos!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That's awesome butternut!! We had the same experience going from balance bike to pedal bike! Good luck tofulish, I hope it works for Leela too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I think Scarlett and Babynut belong in the Bicycling Badazzes thread!!!