| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: veg*n kid, omni house
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i know there are several people here in this situation.

im vegan, my husband still eats fish/poultry/dairy and we're going to raise Charlotte vegetarian but probably mainly vegan.
she's still too young to really understand any of this but i like to tell her things because i swear she understands way more than i think she does.

so for example she and i rescued a turkey through a farm sanctuary for Thanksgiving and they send you a cute little picture and bio of it (thanks Desdemona for the link!) and we have a couple Ruby Roth books we read.
however it feels weird saying to her "we dont believe in eating meat/hurting animals/etc" when that "we" is really "me"

how do you explain it to them without making your partner sound awful?

Post subject: Re: veg*n kid, omni house
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

I’m sorry I don’t have any usefull advice, but I just wanted to say that I (think I) understand how you must feel and how difficult this must be.
I don’t have children, but I’m secretly already stressing and worrying a lot about this exact same issue in advance. I’m also already worst-case scenario-ing in my head about all the comments and opinions from the inlaws and other people I’m gonna have to endure, I just knów they’ll have plenty to say about us raising our (hypothetical) kid vegetarian/vegan, and it won’t be nice.
Again, I’m sorry I’m no help at all, I really hope you can find a way to talk to your daughter about eating vegetarian/vegan and not feeling like you’re slandering your partner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have that situation with my vegetarian grandkids who have an omni Dad, and trying to be diplomatic about them too, as non-vegans. I try to phrase it as there are lots of ways to make the world a better place and to give back, and not eating animals is only one way. I can't resist adding in that every vegan meal their family does eat is a good thing as it means fewer animals suffer. That reinforces that actions are good, rather than people being either good or bad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

As a teacher, I learned to shorten off-track or controversial conversations by saying "different people believe different things." That's not much help for your serious situations or long-term circumstances, but it can work in a pinch when you need to be diplomatic.